As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new MechWarrior Online thread

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    No love for Steiner? We'd get to shoot us some canister babies once they show up.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »
    No love for Steiner? We'd get to shoot us some canister babies once they show up.
    Multiple people have voted for the Lyran Commonwealth (Steiner) and the Federated Commonwealth (Which consists of both Steiner and Davion). I'm not sure what you are complaining about.

If you really wanted to shoot up some Clanners, you'd want the Free Rasalhague Republic. It ends badly for them (but GLORY! GLOR-EE!).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Apparently I'm blind. Too bad that is.

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Yeah, I'd really like to see some hard facts on what the pros/cons of going freelance would be versus aligning with a house. My natural inclination would be to merc it up. If being a merc really sucks for some reason and I had to pick a house... then I guess Marik is where I'd throw my hat?

As a filthy ER-laser-wielding clonefreak, I'm honestly not too attached to any one house. Frankly, my favorite house is the one that pays me the most while I kill time waiting for my buds get to started liberating Terra.

Wang's Dragoons?

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    enc0re wrote: »
    Apparently I'm blind. Too bad that is.
    You can still fight! That's what targeting computers are for!

I also like the name Wang's Dragoons. Excellent.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    If you really wanted to shoot up some Clanners, you'd want the Free Rasalhague Republic. It ends badly for them (but GLORY! GLOR-EE!).

I'm not super-invested in Battletech lore, but this is basically why I'd want to go with the FRR. They're the scrappy underdog, then they get shafted sideways by the Clan invasion. Would keep things interesting, if nothing else.

Plus they have "Rasalhague" in their name! Hard to beat that.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Can I just ask why it was considered so bad? Did it run over the Battletech lore with a semi truck or did people want a more "simulator" vibe?

Anyway, I like the sound of the Free Rasalhague Republic. How will the Federated Commonwealth play out? Will you not fight the other half, or is there a civil war or something?

Edit: Please mind that I haven't play that game in forever, some my retrospect glasses might (see: probably are) be a little rosey....

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah, with a couple of exceptions (such as Tyra Miraborg's death ride), the FRR doesn't even get any moments of awesome fatalistic Viking valor in getting beat by the Clans. They just get beat, and beat hard, then survive for a little while as a tiny irrelevant ComStar protectorate rump state, then succumb to some kind of Stockholm Syndrome and basically jump into bed with the one Clan which conquered them that treated them relatively better. There is no blaze of glory. They literally go out with a whimper.

It was a waste of potential, but it's pretty obvious the FRR got created by the BattleTech powers-that-be (PTB) for the express purpose of feeding them to the Clans - all-but-entirely killing off an Inner Sphere state, even a very small, new one, helped give the Clan invasion a necessary shot of impact and drama, and lessened the blow to two factions the PTB actually cared about doing something with long-term. (Granted the Lyrans and Kuritans did get hurt a lot, though the Kuritans eventually got most of what they lost back and basically got their own pet Clan thrown in to boot.)

• Options
    edited April 2012
    How will the Federated Commonwealth play out? Will you not fight the other half, or is there a civil war or something?

There is a FedCom civil war, but not until the 3060's (over a decade after the timeframe the game is set in).

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/4/45/Inner-sphere-3025.jpg

The two halves of the FedCom are roughly the gold and blue parts. By the time the game is set, the Free Rasalhague Republic is in between the blue and red. So though the two halves of the FedCom won't fight each other, the geography of the Inner Sphere also will prevent them from ganging up on any other faction from two fronts (they did against the Kuritans in 3039, before the FRR existed, but were beaten back by the Combine with ComStar's covert aid. This was the other purpose creating the FRR served: it made a buffer state between the Draconis Combine and the Lyran half of the FedCom.)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    It's not just the Free Worlds League, it's also the Free Love League. Come get in on this love!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Can I just ask why it was considered so bad? Did it run over the Battletech lore with a semi truck or did people want a more "simulator" vibe?

Both, I'm pretty sure, but don't let people on the Internet tell you what's fun and what's not. Gabe obviously enjoyed it a lot, and if you did too then more power to you.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    MechAssault was loads of fun until people figured out the overpowered builds.

It wasn't anything even remotely resembling a proper Mechwarrior game, but there was definitely fun to be had there.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I knew I felt it was fun, hence my query on why even one hated it. I was wondering if it was that it wasn't a good battletech game, or if 15 year old me missed some major gameplay flaws.

Anyways, looking at that wiki, the FRR becomes the ghost bear dominion, mixing Inner Sphere and Clan societies. Sounds cool to me!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A lot of the fun of MechAssault came from the fact that it was also one of the earliest Xbox Live games.

That was before all the crap-maggots in the world rose to the surface of the service and people were generally interested in having fun, which helped make at least the first couple of months pretty fun.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Yeah, with a couple of exceptions (such as Tyra Miraborg's death ride), the FRR doesn't even get any moments of awesome fatalistic Viking valor in getting beat by the Clans. They just get beat, and beat hard, then survive for a little while as a tiny irrelevant ComStar protectorate rump state, then succumb to some kind of Stockholm Syndrome and basically jump into bed with the one Clan which conquered them that treated them relatively better. There is no blaze of glory. They literally go out with a whimper.

It was a waste of potential, but it's pretty obvious the FRR got created by the BattleTech powers-that-be (PTB) for the express purpose of feeding them to the Clans - all-but-entirely killing off an Inner Sphere state, even a very small, new one, helped give the Clan invasion a necessary shot of impact and drama, and lessened the blow to two factions the PTB actually cared about doing something with long-term. (Granted the Lyrans and Kuritans did get hurt a lot, though the Kuritans eventually got most of what they lost back and basically got their own pet Clan thrown in to boot.)

Actually, the initial plan was to have the clan invasion come through the southern half and take out the Capellan Confederation, but FASA realized people really liked House Liao, so it went around the other way instead.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Depending on how they handle mercs, my group is either gonna sign up with the FedCom directly or merc for them.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »

Actually, the initial plan was to have the clan invasion come through the southern half and take out the Capellan Confederation, but FASA realized people really liked House Liao, so it went around the other way instead.

The funny thing is, FASA had no idea that people would actually LIKE house Liao.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    stopgap wrote: »
    The funny thing is, FASA had no idea that people would actually LIKE house Liao.

Because, I mean, let's face it: why would they? It's completely unaccountable. :P But people will latch on to anything if you make an "underdog" out of it.

I don't remember if it was canon which "direction" Kerensky's forces had left the Inner Sphere heading in at that point.

Gaslight on
  • Options

Because, I mean, let's face it: why would they? It's completely unaccountable. :P But people will latch on to anything if you make an "underdog" out of it.

I don't remember if it was canon which "direction" Kerensky's forces had left the Inner Sphere heading in at that point.
    Yeah, when I was playing in the Battletech 3025 Beta (which had territory control), House Liao had half the Inner Sphere or more, at one point. It probably was all purely from people who wanted to see the underdog win.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Free Worlds League!

It's like if you elected your president from Blade Runner!

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Free Worlds League!

Who then was replaced by a clone from the EU... erm, I mean, the Federated Commonwealth. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Free Worlds League!

Who then was replaced by a clone from the EU... erm, I mean, the Federated Commonwealth. :D

No, no, no, that's when you've got the Blade Runner president.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

Yeah, when I was playing in the Battletech 3025 Beta (which had territory control), House Liao had half the Inner Sphere or more, at one point. It probably was all purely from people who wanted to see the underdog win.

I actually switched over to Liao from Kurita before the end (only reason I didn't get assault mechs). It was annoying playing as Kurita because half the time we'd zone the map by just sitting on planets, as nobody would come out to play. Liao was always fightin, so I went there just for the battles.

• Options
    Free Worlds League!

No, no, no, that's when you've got the Blade Runner president.
    It's a semantic distinction, but an important one. :D It's like the old joke. "That bar is not known for checking your ID for drinks... actually, my son says that it is well-known for not checking your IDs."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Plus, everyone looks good in purple.

Right?

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'd go for merc or lyran commonwealth. Long live Melissa Steiner-Davion!

I cant wait to get a small mech and stick an oversized engine inside of it. Place a couple med lazers and a Lrg Lazer on it and its the perfect scout/harrasser. Probably in the 30 ton range.

when the clan tech arrives, change the med lasers into pulse variants and the lrg lazer into an ER variant.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I'd go for merc or lyran commonwealth. Long live Melissa Steiner-Davion!

I cant wait to get a small mech and stick an oversized engine inside of it. Place a couple med lazers and a Lrg Lazer on it and its the perfect scout/harrasser. Probably in the 30 ton range.

when the clan tech arrives, change the med lasers into pulse variants and the lrg lazer into an ER variant.

Sounds like you want a hussar. Fastest mech around (it has a speed of 151 mph in a setting where most mechs are puttering along at 64 mph) and armed with a single large laser. only catch is that if it gets hit it's gonna feel it.

Myself, I'd prefer to play Combine. No one better at making the davions wear their asses for hats.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    With all the Information warfare stuff, why aren't more people wanting ravens?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I want the Raven :(

The 3L should be around by 3049.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I'm highly interested in being a support mech.

HIGHLY.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Mechlab Q&A
    Is each chassis going to have a minimum/maximum for the amount you can tweak the engine, or is it only going to be tonnage limited? –syngyne

[DAVID] At the moment it is just limited by tonnage, but there is likely to be, at the very least, a minimum engine size so you don’t have people building ’Mechs with a top speed of 1 kph.
    A Swayback Hunchie would have energy hard points in the arms, and right torso cannon mount. Does that mean in the left torso, where no weapon is normally mounted, there are non-weapon hard points for empty crit slots, which means no weapon can be mounted there? –Namwons

[DAVID] Yes, if there are no weapons in a location on the default loadout, then there will be no weapon hardpoints in that location. Equipment generally doesn’t use hardpoints and can be placed anywhere, including the Hunchback’s left torso.
    Will Merc Corps be able to save and share configurations which are available to all members of that Merc Corp to access, download, and utilise in the configuration of their Battlemech? –John Clavell

[PAUL] This is not something unique to Merc Corps. We want this ability to share builds with the entire community. This will probably be done through the website with the possibility… yes... POSSIBILITY of a public released API for fan sites.

So maybe an out of game mech lab, for when you're cruising around town and come up with a brilliant mech build and only have your smartphone available.

• Options
    Are you keeping all the traditional weights and criticals of the classic rules, or have you rebalanced some of them (like, say, ACs)? –Hao Yu

[DAVID] The weights and critical slots of weapons will remain the same, so that we can take ’Mechs straight out of the Technical Readout manuals and into the game. What we will be looking at tuning is the damage, cooldown time, speed, etc. of the weapons.

This is pretty important I think. Past Mechwarrior games didn't do this afaik.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Are you keeping all the traditional weights and criticals of the classic rules, or have you rebalanced some of them (like, say, ACs)? –Hao Yu

[DAVID] The weights and critical slots of weapons will remain the same, so that we can take ’Mechs straight out of the Technical Readout manuals and into the game. What we will be looking at tuning is the damage, cooldown time, speed, etc. of the weapons.

This is pretty important I think. Past Mechwarrior games didn't do this afaik.

Yeah, afaik they made it up as they went along. God damn this game is sounding more and more like the greatest mech game ever made.

Methinks I should dig my second Steel Battalion controller out of storage and start contemplating modding it for use on the PC.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    From their twitter feed, MWO is starting a "friends and family" closed beta today.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    All this bickering about factions... clearly the only option is Steiner.

I hear their scout lances are made up of four Atlases.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The only good thing about Steiner is that their lack of strategy, tactics or competence makes their overabundance and misuse of tasty assult mechs all the easier to take as salvage.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ...that very well may be.

But throw enough Atlases at a problem, (possibly literally depending on the manner of misuse), and it'll go away eventually.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote: »

But throw enough Atlases at a problem, (possibly literally depending on the manner of misuse), and it'll go away eventually.
    If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MechMantis wrote: »

If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it.

Or you need to use bigger catapults to throw that brute force harder.

I mean, seriously. Can you imagine how much damage an Atlas could do if it was launched out of a trebuchet?

• Options
    The Atlas would be the counter-balance. Jenners would be the projectiles.

This discussion has been closed.