Options

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• Options
    SheebsSheebs FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    New update preview is out, looks cool except for the grenades which sound annoying as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmCjcwESC70

Sheebs on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The grenades sound amazing and fit the raider role perfectly, sound like they will work wonderfully for flag stand disruption.

I think I want everything out of that new kit, well except the Griever skin. I think the Merc skin is cooler and I can only wear one at a time.

I think I might end up shelling out some more cash on this game after all.

• Options
    ad hominidad hominid Registered User regular
    Mmm that update looks nice. I'll pick up the mercenary skin to go with my infiltrator one. I agree the Jackal is pretty br0ken, even though I love it.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    yay plasma gun! I do not like the looks of that rifle though, the thing was doing 110/hit, seems steep to me but who knows, I don't use the rifles at all except for the pathfinder one, and i'm pretty sure it only does like 50/hit

that said the raider may be getting some points put into it with this update

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    The pathfinder assault rifle does 80 damage a hit and fires in three round bursts. It does (like all the rifles) have damage fall off, so, at longer ranges it will be getting less damage. The numbers for the new raider stuff may need tweaking but all the stuff is conceptually sound to me.

• Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    YESSSSSSSS

I've been jonesing for the plasma gun

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    SheebsSheebs FloridaRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The grenades sound amazing and fit the raider role perfectly, sound like they will work wonderfully for flag stand disruption.

I think I want everything out of that new kit, well except the Griever skin. I think the Merc skin is cooler and I can only wear one at a time.

I think I might end up shelling out some more cash on this game after all.

Yeah they look really fun, but the hitboxes on both the Plasma and new SMG seem really big and way too generous.

Either way this update looks rad, now all they need to do is add private user servers and I'll be set on this game for a long time.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    YES, PLASMA GUN!

I think I'm gonna buy the raider now.

• Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    OK yay for the Plasma Gun.. cool

But NO for more automatic rifles.. christ

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Plasma Rifle will be primary or secondary.

It was one of my favorites for indoor fighting in the original.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    im starting to hate hitscan weapons now. Im getting so pissed off that 2 snipers can effectively shut down me down even when im screaming in at 300kph and die as soon as i poke my head above a hill.

I'd be more accepting if sniper rifles were projectile based like in shifterX mods of yore

of course, itd also be nice if most pug teammates didnt act like they were lobotomized bots...

we need dedicated times to play PA members only... I wouldnt feel bad loosing to you peeps.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Plasma? Sign me up.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I'm liking the Plasma Gun as a direct, no fuss damage dealer from long range. Looks it has all the benefits of the Spinner without that pesky single-shot drawback I dislike about it. The new SMG is gonna be a bitch to hit anything at long range with due to the lower firing rate.

• Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    I want plasma...

• Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    The plasma gun is a good step in the right direction. We should be relying on projectile based weapons with a high rate of fire and lower DPS for long ranged combat.

Instead we keep having to fall back on Autos

However, as much as I will bitch and complain I don't think HiRez is going to go this direction with the game.

So, when the private servers are released I hope we can come together and get a server going! Cause like the gent above claimed " I wont mind losing to you guys"!

Cheeers

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh wow, I really like the look of the plasma gun.

EDIT: Haha, looks like the plasma gun is a crowd pleaser.

Winky on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Plasma Gun?

Hell. Yes.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    im starting to hate hitscan weapons now. Im getting so pissed off that 2 snipers can effectively shut down me down even when im screaming in at 300kph and die as soon as i poke my head above a hill.

I'd be more accepting if sniper rifles were projectile based like in shifterX mods of yore

of course, itd also be nice if most pug teammates didnt act like they were lobotomized bots...

we need dedicated times to play PA members only... I wouldnt feel bad loosing to you peeps.

It's a game balance thing, you need something that shreds 300kph lights and that thing is snipers, but luckily snipers are usually quite stationary so they are easy for your team to shred.

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh wow, I really like the look of the plasma gun.

EDIT: Haha, looks like the plasma gun is a crowd pleaser.

Not having the plasma gun in base was one step below not having, say, spinfusors. This is evil genius on Hi-Rez's part.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    MonstaMonsta Lovable Lurking Game Monster TexasRegistered User new member
    Ooo plasma gun, looks like I need to get in on this. :D

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I wonder what the effective dps of the plasma gun is going to be once it hits live. The video made it look OP as hell.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Avynte wrote: »
    I wonder what the effective dps of the plasma gun is going to be once it hits live. The video made it look OP as hell.

Chances are it will be quite strong. Otherwise, there wouldn't be the urge to buy it. That's how F2P stuff works.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It is the goal of the sales team to make any new content look desirable to you buy it. Making it look OP is a good way to do it.

Not going to say it is or isn't going to be OP (obviously too early to tell but) trying to figure out balance from a promotional trailer rarely is fruitful.

Edit: F2P doesn't need constant power creep to be successful, look at LoL.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Yeah spotlights always make the subject look OP.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Yeah spotlights always make the subject look OP.

Sarksus what even is your ingame name

• Options
    It's

Sarksus

• Options
    Oh

Also

1) I get really indignant whenever I get a blue plate special. It's like, clearly you are colorblind, sir, as I am playing a juggernaut.

2) I am seriously considering taking quick draw on my juggernaut. If it is actually significantly faster than normal weapon switching then the tantalizing possibility of using the spinfuser to chase people into my mortar rounds cannot be ignored.

Though, I should probably learn to use the X1swhatever, but god I cannot aim that thing for shit, and who wants a gun you can't diskjump with? Maybe once I unlock the throwing disks.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Any PA'ers want to help a new player out? Is there even voice chat in this?

Edit: I'm Obos on there

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

There is no built in voice chat bur we do have a PA vent server, info stickied at the top of the G&T sub-forum.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I'm starting to think I should just run away if I see a pathfinder with the bolt launcher.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So they fixed one Jackal issue but not the other. Progress is good!

Also, Raider is my other favorite class, and that this update is all about the Raider makes me happy. Gotta start saving that XP.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    I am mad.

I do not like that an inf can throw sticky nades on your vehicle before you even get in it. So you end up getting blow up and lose your money. Seems incredibly unfair. Had vehicles not cost anything I wouldn't care as much but they do.

Anyone else experience this?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Elbasunu wrote: »

I added you. My name is in my signature. We should play sometime and shoot some mans.
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I'm starting to think I should just run away if I see a pathfinder with the bolt launcher.

He'll catch you and you'll just die tired.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    It is the goal of the sales team to make any new content look desirable to you buy it. Making it look OP is a good way to do it.

Not going to say it is or isn't going to be OP (obviously too early to tell but) trying to figure out balance from a promotional trailer rarely is fruitful.

Edit: F2P doesn't need constant power creep to be successful, look at LoL.

Hahahaha. Oh, wait... are you serious?

Release day Vayne, Graves, Vlad, Lee Sin, Xin Xaio, Scarnar, Rumble, etc etc etc would like a word with you, right after they take a dump on your chest.

LoL is not a good example for your statement, but it is a good example of what I expect to see in Tribes Ascend if things keep going the way they have with the Infiltrator pack. An ever ridiculous arms race, which is fine if you have owned the game long enough to have the exp to buy the items out... but a very very expensive prospect to someone who decides they may want to try it 9 months from now.

Edit:

This is especially true if they stay with the current pricing model. While the EXP cost may be okay (I don't think it is, but let's say it's reasonable... which it isn't) the gold cost is pants on head retarded.

They can make the skins as expensive as they like, it's costmetic, but the weapons can cost almost 10$ a piece. In many cases the decent weapons are always locked to start, why the fuck is the spinfuser not unlocked on the soldier by default? thrust pack? they're giving you classes that have been neutered and then selling you the balls back individually at a premium.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what the pricing model for the custom servers is going to look like?

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I want to run my own server :( I don't trust my connection to their servers.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Soldier's spinfusor is locked initially because the default weapon for the Pathfinder is the Light Spinfusor, and HiRez wishes to give players more choice than Spinfusor A, Spinfusor B, or Spinfusor C. Additionally, assault rifle + thumper wrecks faces, to the degree that there was a big ol' whiny whine-fest in here earlier about it, so I'd say the balance is fine.

Garthor on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Yet the poor brute still just has the spinfuser. :(

• Options
    Boogdud wrote: »
    Yet the poor brute still just has the spinfuser. :(

Heavy Spinfusor + Shield pack...

Get wrecked son.

PNA1v.jpg