As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good luck finding the Pizza Planet truck. [BRAVE]

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I really liked Despicable Me. I usually don't go out of my way to see non Pixar CGI movies but I'm glad I saw that one.

I thought it was okay. There were parts where the animation definitely seemed hastily done or otherwise lacking.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the end of Despicable Me is pretty fantastic

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I liked Despicable Me, but I was distracted the whole movie wondering why there didn't appear to be any superspies or superheroes in that world

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    the end of Despicable Me is pretty fantastic

that was the worst part for me! way too saccharine

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Vikings must end up being the conflict, I spose? Or some sort've civil war.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    more beautiful Irish folk songs, please

also I sure hope this doesn't end with her falling in love with a pretty boy and becoming a lady

but I'm pretty sure Pixar has taken the horse-beating stick away from the guys at Disney after they proved they could tell more compelling stories

• Options
    wait what movie has disney done that did that? like dis is generally not great about feminism but they arent, like, generically bad female leads or using the ladies to spotlight the men like most hollywood movies do NOT COUNTING SEQUELS ASHXXJN

and oh man im just remembering that disney made all the advertising for tangled feature the robber-guy because 'no one would watch a girl-centric movie'

THIS WAS SAID ABOUT A DISNEY MOVIE

DISNEY

• Options
    edited April 2012
    uh

every animated movie they made with a female lead or a strong female character from 1950 to like 1995 did that

edit: although you're (almost completely) right about them not using women solely as trophies for the protagonist like pretty much every big studio does

I'm looking at you, Toy Story 2

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    and oh man im just remembering that disney made all the advertising for tangled feature the robber-guy because 'no one would watch a girl-centric movie'

Not all the advertising. Their tone in the Japanese trailer was different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRt3zcz03aA

• Options
    also Robin Hood

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    uh

every animated movie they made with a female lead or a strong female character from 1950 to like 1995 did that

edit: although you're (almost completely) right about them not using women solely as trophies for the protagonist like pretty much every big studio does

the ladies all fell in love yes but none of them 'turned into ladies', they were still pretty much the same person

like i agree that female-centric movies that center around romance are problematic but it was the second half that really caught me

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I really wished the princess and the frog ended with her kicking the prince to the curb

up yours I can open this restaurant myself dammit I GOT THIS

Brolo on
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    uh

the ladies all fell in love yes but none of them 'turned into ladies', they were still pretty much the same person

like i agree that female-centric movies that center around romance are problematic but it was the second half that really caught me

I guess most of them were already beautiful princesses is your point?

That's fair.

• Options
    I guess a few sore examples really stick out in my mind:

The Little Mermaid feels trapped by her life of royalty and pomp and wishes to be freed, which she eventually is, so that she can enjoy her new life of royalty and pomp BUT WITH LEGS NOW (and with none of her old and totally awesome friends)

Bella from Beauty and the Beast just wants to be an independent philosopher/bookstore owner and operator and doesn't want to be tied down by a man, (although admittedly she hadn't met any decent ones) only to succumb to Stockholm Syndrome when kidnapped by a hideous monster (inside and out) and realizes that she can love him if only she can "fix" him.

I guess you can't really fault them for Pocahontas leaving her entire beautiful, spiritual life behind to go live in grimy, urban London as the white guy's trophy from his colonial expedition because that shit actually happened.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Did Beauty and the Beast show Belle either losing or retaining her identity at the end? It's been a long time since I've seen that movie.

• Options
    Did Pocahontas leave her life behind or was it like "You are going to London with me."

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Who the fuck is Bella

Wasn't she in Twilight

Sheri on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    belladonna

the ass that ate a thousand dicks

• Options
    Also OMG NEW TRAILER I ALMOST FORGOT YAAAAY

• Options
    Did Beauty and the Beast show Belle either losing or retaining her identity at the end? It's been a long time since I've seen that movie.

It's not really clear what of her former life remains relevant. It doesn't matter though, she lives in a castle with a huge fuck-off library now.
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Did Pocahontas leave her life behind or was it like "You are going to London with me."

In the movie she receives a magical compass from a raccoon that shows her that Smith is her destiny

in the real world it probably worked out a lot more like "kidnapping"

• Options
    Pocahontas the movie does not sound like a movie I would enjoy

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular

But Colors of the Wind is a pretty ok song.

• Options
    Also Belle didn't own a bookstore. She just liked to read.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Belle's long-term life goals weren't really made clear. She wanted to get out of the tiny town where people made fun of her for being different, she didn't want to marry Gaston, and she liked to read. And she wanted people to respect her father.

But that was about it. She was happy having the giant-ass library from her kidnapper.

• Options
    MrDapper wrote: »

oh man
    oh man
    oh man
    oh man

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The "pretend I'm Merida" part is great.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Also, I saw a Merida cosplayer at a con a few weeks ago.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Well, she doesn't actually head to England at the end

They save that for one of those crappy direct-to-video sequels

It's still one of the lesser Disney films along with Hunchback of Notre Dame, though

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    But Disney also made a direct-to-video sequel featuring this.

I4pU6.gif

• Options
    WHAT HUNCHBACK WAS AMAZING

YOU MUST BE THINKING OF SNOW WHITE, WHICH UPON REMATCHING IS SURPRISINGLY DULL AND LAME

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hunchback had one of the best villain songs of any Disney movie.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

YOU MUST BE THINKING OF SNOW WHITE, WHICH UPON REMATCHING IS SURPRISINGLY DULL AND LAME

yes it is and then no your are a dumbface goose

• Options
    also the real ending to hunchback, not the disney one, is goddamn soul-crushing

• Options
    pocahontas was a huge clusterfuck in general, i agree with that, but i always hate when people diss ariel's choice

she wasnt bored of being rich, she was bored of the sea! not even really bored, its just that there was a whole universe out there that she was outright forbidden to see and seeing as she could only make one choice for the sake of her people she chose to leave and explore a new world

i especially hate when people say she left the ocean 'for a man' (not that you are saying that) when she'd been obsessed with the land since way before she fell in love

i cant speak for beauty and the beast because i havent seen it yet

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    beauty and the best is so goddamn rad

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it is actually your who is the gay

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

it is actually your who is the gay

whoa

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Sleeping Beauty had that awesome action at the end with the Prince fighting the dragon and it reminded me of D&D.