As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    a friend of mine put skate rails on the back of his. they're slightly raised to keep the pad from getting scratched when you lay it on surfaces and the rail is grip-able if you need something like that. On the other hand, I street vendor in chinatown told him about that technique so I'm not entirely sure how much faith i'd put into it.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So this is a bit weird, but I was scrolling through my AppShopper listing on price drops and stumbled across something labeled as an adaptation of one of the Fighting Fantasy books. I grew up on those things, they were like a mix of choose your own adventure and a basic RPG system with dice rolls to simulate combat.

Anyhow, it looks like the company that made them is having its license expire soon and they've dropped the price on the five that they've converted to 1$ each. They're pretty great little titles, with a decent amount of replayability, if only because there's significant difficulty and luck in getting all the way through one of the books. I've spent a few hours with Warlock on Firetop mountain, and it's both nostalgic and enjoyable as hell.

Bit disappointed more of them aren't being converted, as iOS apps are a great venue for that sort of thing.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I didn't see an appropriate thread in Moe's so...
    iPad 2 cases?
    I like the Smart Cover, but it leaves the back exposed. Right now I'm considering getting the SC with a compatible back cover/skin.
    Does anyone know of any other good options for either smart cover/skin setup or a full case (preferably that doesn't cover the front of the iPad at all, like the smart cover)? I haven't taken my iPad out of my house yet because I want some kind of protection on it even just to carry it in a bag to work.

Check the iPhone/iPod thread for case/cover discussion.

It sounds like a DODOcase BOOKback is just what you need. It's basically a fancy screen protector for the back of your iPad. I have the black logo one on my retiPad (interchangeable with the iPad 2) and it's wonderful. Feels better to the touch than the brushed metal of the plain back while providing a less-slick, more comfortable surface to hold. It doesn't give you any sort of stand built-in, but it's perfectly compatible with the Smart Cover. It adds almost no width to the iPad itself, making it compatible of fitting into almost any case that isn't built exactly perfect to the iPad 2/3's spec.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    I didn't see an appropriate thread in Moe's so...
    iPad 2 cases?
    I like the Smart Cover, but it leaves the back exposed. Right now I'm considering getting the SC with a compatible back cover/skin.
    Does anyone know of any other good options for either smart cover/skin setup or a full case (preferably that doesn't cover the front of the iPad at all, like the smart cover)? I haven't taken my iPad out of my house yet because I want some kind of protection on it even just to carry it in a bag to work.

Check the iPhone/iPod thread for case/cover discussion.

It sounds like a DODOcase BOOKback is just what you need. It's basically a fancy screen protector for the back of your iPad. I have the black logo one on my retiPad (interchangeable with the iPad 2) and it's wonderful. Feels better to the touch than the brushed metal of the plain back while providing a less-slick, more comfortable surface to hold. It doesn't give you any sort of stand built-in, but it's perfectly compatible with the Smart Cover. It adds almost no width to the iPad itself, making it compatible of fitting into almost any case that isn't built exactly perfect to the iPad 2/3's spec.

Ok, I skipped over that thread since it said phone/pod (didn't know if pads were welcome there).
    I did check out DODO (someone linked it a couple pages back, maybe even you?). I really like that BOOKback, seems like it would be nicer than just ZAGG or something similar. I really do like those DODOcases too, but just not sure if hardback is quite what I would enjoy (maybe that would be sweet on a Kindle).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Smash Cops, has gone Free!!! It's loose! Now you all have no excuse! Come on' its made by (some of) the guys who did the Burnout series.

http://toucharcade.com/2012/04/26/smash-cops-goes-free-and-ascension-chronicle-of-the-godslayer-drops-to-a-buck/

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I think the fact that Ascension is only $1 now is the real news!... Buying that right now...

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Smash Cops is awesome! Philistines!

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    Smash Cops is awesome! Philistines!

Might be grabbing that when I get home.
    Won't be grabbing Ascension (the style really doesn't grab me).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Smash Cops! I love it, love it, love it! Oh, it's the grinding of the wheels, the shredding of metal, the streaks of rubber on the sun drenched asphalt and the smashing! Oh lord, I love the smashing! 32 levels of breaking sh*t at high speeds, and on iPad 2, it's a really pretty game. Also speaking of incredible free stuff, if you haven't picked it up, get Dark Meadow: The Pact as well. If you love Bioshock, but wish it wasn't underwater, had more to do with the occult and played a little like Wizardry, then Dark Meadow is the game for you.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm done with ClashMob. I've had it reset my current rebirth twice now, and each time it happens it bugs out so that after defeating the opening Shade I have to fight an endless number of invisible Shades. Somehow I managed to reset my current rebirth the first time it happened, but now I'm not seeing the option. So in short, fuck ClashMob.

Also, apparently IB2 doesn't automatically start you out in NG+ after finishing it for the first time. I found the option today, with a level 49 character. Yeah...fuck this.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm done with ClashMob. I've had it reset my current rebirth twice now, and each time it happens it bugs out so that after defeating the opening Shade I have to fight an endless number of invisible Shades. Somehow I managed to reset my current rebirth the first time it happened, but now I'm not seeing the option. So in short, fuck ClashMob.

Also, apparently IB2 doesn't automatically start you out in NG+ after finishing it for the first time. I found the option today, with a level 49 character. Yeah...fuck this.

New game plus exists alongside your regular character. If you want to switch between them, go to options and pick "Character Slots" IIRC.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Won't be grabbing Ascension (the style really doesn't grab me).

Do you mean the game style or the art style? Because I think the card art is kind of horrendous, but the game itself is amazingly fun and addictive.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    So, I grabbed Shadow Era and I really really enjoy it so far - is Ascension worth picking up in addition to it, or am I not missing much by only having one?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

New game plus exists alongside your regular character. If you want to switch between them, go to options and pick "Character Slots" IIRC.

I keep seeing these sort of responses and not to be rude, but it isn't very helpful. The issue is that if you accidentally start a NG+ and you're not prepared, you are fucked. If you're too low a level, or built your character poorly you might not be able to progress at all.

Yeah, you can switch back and forth but it doesn't address the main issue. You can't go back to NG and buff yourself up and then switch back again with your updated progress. You could go back to NG but if you ever decide you want to proceed to NG+ you lose any progress you made in NG in the meantime.

I accidentally started NG+ myself, but luckily I was a high enough level for it to not be much of an issue. With the fact that you can master weapons twice if you missed mastering them in your first game, I just said "Oh well." and dealt with it. Despite the fact I felt like deleting the game the very moment I found out I can't go back to NG and then "re-import" my character. I wanted to get everything done in NG well before I moved on.

Oh well!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    So, I grabbed Shadow Era and I really really enjoy it so far - is Ascension worth picking up in addition to it, or am I not missing much by only having one?

It's entertaining enough, and I know some people here really like it, but just to be clear, it's NOT a CCG/TCG like Shadow Era/M:tG. The artwork is godawful, though. But the game mechanics are fun, and it would make a pretty great asynchronous 2-player game.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    The card art for ascension isn't that bad guys.

• Options

I keep seeing these sort of responses and not to be rude, but it isn't very helpful.

I misread his post: I didn't see the part where he did find the option. My bad.

• Options
    IB1 is back down to $1. Yes, it's worth getting at that price even if you have played IB2 to death.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    IB1 is back down to $1. Yes, it's worth getting at that price even if you have played IB2 to death.

Agreed. Even if you only play through enough to see all of the story, you'll easily get you dollars worth.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ascension is only a dollar today.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Question for anyone who has avadon (or probably avernum). Anyone know how you cancel out of using a spell/item, e.g. to go back to move mode and adjust a space for cone spells?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    So I just went crazy and bought all 5 Fighting Fantasy... books? And Ascension (Played the crap out of Ascension lite). Thanks guys. Just thanks.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim is free today. It's a pretty decent port of the pc versions and entertaining.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    how did kairosoft drop a new game and I not notice. did I miss the post?

Either way - Epic Astro Story seems to (finally) switch it up a bit adding some light weapons/armor upgrades, and some other stuff I don't know about because I'm only an hour in.

Just in case no one else saw it :) So much for my free time for the next week.

:winky:
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote: »

Dude, it's so bad. And I don't even mean that in a subjective "haha this art sucks" kind of way. It's so bad that it's really hard to even see what's supposed to be on the cards. Everything pretty much looks like a jumbled mess, so it's actually hard to identify cards at a glance.

I don't want to rag on it too much. It's a fun game, but they could really use some redone artwork.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim is free today. It's a pretty decent port of the pc versions and entertaining.

Definitely worth it. I think I paid $1 for it a while back and enjoyed it. It might feel a little lacking if you're a vet of the PC version but still functions pretty well, even on my tiny iPhone.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So 7th Guest is free today only. How is that not an instant grab?

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    So 7th Guest is free today only. How is that not an instant grab?

Wow, awesome. Thanks!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Ooh, I remember playing that as a kid. Fun times.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Waking Mars is on sale for $3. Tempting at that price, but I have so many iOS games to catch up on that I think I might pass on it for now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular

Dude, it's so bad. And I don't even mean that in a subjective "haha this art sucks" kind of way. It's so bad that it's really hard to even see what's supposed to be on the cards. Everything pretty much looks like a jumbled mess, so it's actually hard to identify cards at a glance.

I don't want to rag on it too much. It's a fun game, but they could really use some redone artwork.

What does the expansion add?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    KafkaAU wrote: »

What does the expansion add?

I think 60 new cards, some of which have a new "fate" mechanic that causes an effect when the card it put onto the center row. (Such as "everybody draw a card" or "you may banish one card from your hand or inventory.")

• Options
    ImprovidentImprovident Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Question for anyone who has avadon (or probably avernum). Anyone know how you cancel out of using a spell/item, e.g. to go back to move mode and adjust a space for cone spells?

I think you can click on the lightning bolt or ankh spell icons at the bottom of the screen to cancel out of any spell. I'm only a couple of hours in, so don't have any cone spells, but this has worked for other AoE casts.

• Options
  • Options
    Looks less Halo-ish and more Crysis 2 this time around. Graphics look really impressive for a mobile title, but I really hate FPS's on a touchscreen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Looks like Infinity Blade 2 got updated to fix the clashmob issues. Hopefully it'll also fix the "beat a guy, and then fight his invisble doppleganger" bug too.

• Options
    The best first person shooter controls have to be from Mass Effect Infiltrator, after the last big update, the "free aim" and tap-shoot work the best for this kind of game. I hope Gameloft "lifts" that control scheme, because I hate "missing" my virtual fire buttons during multiplayer sessions.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    For those of you with an iPad 1 wondering if it'll run Max Payne okay, I can confirm that it does indeed run just fine.

(What's your excuse, 3D Tell Tale games?)

Darlan on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    For those interested and for fans of the game, The 7th Guest is free today on iOS.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/05/01/pc-classic-7th-guest-free-on-ios-and-mac-today-only/
    In the early '90s, one of the premier PC games was 7th Guest. It was the first game to use full rendered 3D animation and navigation, and Bill Gates called it "the new standard in interactive entertainment". Trilobyte, the company that made 7th Guest and its sequel, The 11th Hour, eventually went out of business.

However, some members of the original Trilobyte team have ported The 7th Guest to iPhone and iPad, as well as the Mac App Store. For May Day, Trilobyte is offering both the iOS and Mac versions of their games for free, down from $4.99 and $9.99. Also free is 7th Guest: Infection, a specially rebuilt puzzle built for the iPad.

"Welcome to my ... house!" Old Man Stauf built a house and filled it with his toys. Six guests were invited one night, their screams the only noise…

In the world of The 7th Guest, you are an active and mysterious entity known only as "Ego". Your role, identity and purpose is not known or explained, rather, it is experienced as a seamlessly integral part of the total environment that is the Stauf mansion. Because you are looking out from within, you cannot see yourself, but your inner spirit has a voice. Listen to it.

The house of The 7th Guest is filled with 19 devilishly clever puzzles that will test your wits and scare you out of them as well. To complete the game you must solve every puzzle in the house - only then will the secrets of the madman Henry Stauf be revealed to you.

The 7th Guest is available as both a universal iOS app (normally $4.99) and on the Mac App Store (normally $9.99).

The 7th Guest: Infection is available for the iPad, normally $2.99.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.