As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

man I totally forgot about these guys

I wonder if they'll wind up nominating somebody and/or registering as an official party just so they can keep their ballot access stuff together. I guess it probably depends on how committed their backers are.
    I'll ask the same question I had last time that was brought up. Who the hell are they and why does the media care?

Also, is there something new in that Grenell article? It looks like the same one that was posted yesterday

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular

On another board someone said this gem about the whole thing:
    If you don't tolerate gays you are a bigot. If you don't tolerate people that hate gays or their views you are also just as much a bigot.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'll ask the same question I had last time that was brought up. Who the hell are they and why does the media care?

I'll answer.

No one and I don't think they do.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I wonder if they'll wind up nominating somebody and/or registering as an official party just so they can keep their ballot access stuff together. I guess it probably depends on how committed their backers are.

Also, is there something new in that Grenell article? It looks like the same one that was posted yesterday

their idea was to solicit and nominate candidates via online process, while the backbone work of fundraising and ballot access was handled by the organization in advance. It always seemed pretty hokey, but it was interesting because they at least seemed serious about it, to the point of apparently getting on the ballot in 20+ states.

Apparently now what's happened is that no candidate has emerged who can meet their required standards of support (which I guess are actually pretty high.) So I guess now they'll have to just allow their online convention (not sure how this is gonna go down either) to nominate whoever it wants, or just scrap the whole thing.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I'll answer.

No one and I don't think they do.

The Villagers do, because the backers of Americans Elect have oodles of money and are pushing forward the bullshit "both sides do it" gooseshit that is Villager catnip.

• Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular

If you don't tolerate gays you are a bigot. If you don't tolerate people that hate gays or their views you are also just as much a bigot.

Can't...tell...if...troll.

I know that sentiment isn't uncommon though. A lot of people spend a lot of time defending people from the social cost of being hateful extremists.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular

But being a bigot really is a mark on your character and worth, unlike being born gay or black. Bigotry is irrational, being hostile to bigots is not.

I think I was sixteen when I figured that out. There are Christians in Europe and the US that spend their lives thinking leftists are mean for attacking religious bigotry towards gays and the transgendered.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ah yes, good old "intolerance of intolerance is intolerant!"

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

But being a bigot really is a mark on your character and worth, unlike being born gay or black. Bigotry is irrational, being hostile to bigots is not.

I think I was sixteen when I figured that out. There are Christians in Europe and the US that spend their lives thinking leftists are mean for attacking religious bigotry towards gays and the transgendered.
    Judging people for what they are (black, gay, female, short, Russian, etc.) is prejudice; judging people for what they believe is just plain judging.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »

Judging people for what they are (black, gay, female, short, Russian, etc.) is prejudice; judging people for what they believe is just plain judging.

You might even call it "the content of their character."

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Eeeh, it's kinda right from a love the sinner hate the sin outlook on life.

I wouldn't throw a rock at someone for being a hate monger and would still go out of my way to prevent harm from befalling them.

Doesn't mean I won't feel a certain way about them.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Eeeh, it's kinda right from a love the sinner hate the sin outlook on life.

I wouldn't throw a rock at someone for being a hate monger and would still go out of my way to prevent harm from befalling them.

Doesn't mean I won't feel a certain way about them.

Most people engaged in this don't understand that hating the sin doesn't mean hating the sinner though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

their idea was to solicit and nominate candidates via online process, while the backbone work of fundraising and ballot access was handled by the organization in advance. It always seemed pretty hokey, but it was interesting because they at least seemed serious about it, to the point of apparently getting on the ballot in 20+ states.

Apparently now what's happened is that no candidate has emerged who can meet their required standards of support (which I guess are actually pretty high.) So I guess now they'll have to just allow their online convention (not sure how this is gonna go down either) to nominate whoever it wants, or just scrap the whole thing.
    Online convention, huh? Looks like Ron Paul will make the ballot after all!

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »

I think the Americans Elect laws say it can't be someone running for either two big parties.

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular

I think the Americans Elect laws say it can't be someone running for either two big parties.

I would hardly call what Ron Paul is doing "running".

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options

No, they say that the ticket has to be "bipartisan", so the people on it have to be from different parties.

But never fear, there is no way that RONPAUL will be on the ballot for them, because they won't let him.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edit: God damnit, didn't see the video posted above. Ignore me!
    rip_grand_galactic_inquisitor.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options

No, they say that the ticket has to be "bipartisan", so the people on it have to be from different parties.

But never fear, there is no way that RONPAUL will be on the ballot for them, because they won't let him.

Because then they would be playing spoiler for the republicans instead of the democrats, like they so desperately desire?

• Options

Because then they would be playing spoiler for the republicans instead of the democrats, like they so desperately desire?

That, and this is Wall Street looking for a pet candidate. Do you really think The King of Goldbugs fits that description?

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I like Cutter a lot now too. I hope we see her doing a TON of videos like that.

Can we call an ad being debunked being 'Cuttered'?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Holy shit. I just watched that Shep Smith clip. That may be one of the funnier 30sec news clips I've ever seen.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Holy shit. I just watched that Shep Smith clip. That may be one of the funnier 30sec news clips I've ever seen.

When I was looking for this clip yesterday, I found a video where Shep interrupted a guest for about 2 minutes to point out repeatedly that Mitt Romney was wearing mom jeans.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Hahaha phenomenal. He also gave a shout out to "the two of you still with us" after the Gingrich concession speech.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    If you need the support of the right wing media, it's Mitt The Press:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/02/mitt-romney-conservative-media-off-the-record_n_1472855.html

• Options
    Can anyone cut the last part about "Politics is weird...and creepy...and lacks even the loosest connection to anything we call reality". Because that needs to become a meme response for insane political news.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    really

this is the kind of thing that makes me wonder how he still has a job at fox news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnG-x1pnj0

• Options
    Hahaha phenomenal. He also gave a shout out to "the two of you still with us" after the Gingrich concession speech.

Hahahahah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FmjEoHjPU0&feature=related

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    really

this is the kind of thing that makes me wonder how he still has a job at fox news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNnG-x1pnj0
    I just assume that he's there to give Fox plausible deniability. They can say "look, we're not a right-wing network! We have Shep Smith!"

Ironically, doesn't that make him their worst pundit?

• Options
    well chris wallace is a shill obviously

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    didn't used to be, but sadly he is now.

Fox News has reached the point where they don't need to pretend to have credibility.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    According the wikipedia, shep smith "remains the top-rated newscast in cable news and is ranked third in the top programs in U.S. cable news.[5] Shepard Smith tied for second (along with Dan Rather and Peter Jennings) as the most trusted news anchor on both network and cable news in a 2003 TV Guide poll."

Also? He settled out of court for misdemeanor battery after hitting a women with his car over an argument for a parking space.

• Options
    I feel like he's the least shill out of them

but he wouldn't go against his corporate overlords now

• Options
    Unions tell DNC to go pound sand on convention funding, due to it being held in a right to work state:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303877604577380381437953766.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Good for them.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Is that Stephanie Cutter video really quiet for anyone else? I turned by sound and the youtube volume all the way up and still could barely hear it.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Unions tell DNC to go pound sand on convention funding, due to it being held in a right to work state:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303877604577380381437953766.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Good for them.

This sounds suspiciously like cutting off one's nose to spite their face.

"Grrr, we'll show the only party that even seems to give a shit about us! Grrr, we're so angry! Gee, I hope there won't be any repercussions for slowing/stopping contributions to said party; you know, the only one that even sometimes pretends to like us and our money."

Perhaps I shouldn't give the DNC any money for the convention because they picked a state with a Republican controlled general assembly... :?:

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

Good for them.

"Grrr, we'll show the only party that even seems to give a shit about us! Grrr, we're so angry! Gee, I hope there won't be any repercussions for slowing/stopping contributions to said party; you know, the only one that even sometimes pretends to like us and our money."

Perhaps I shouldn't give the DNC any money for the convention because they picked a state with a Republican controlled general assembly... :?:

why would labor expect the party to do something different if they just keep giving them the same money/support?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

Good for them.

I have difficulty blaming them for this one.

I wish at-will states would start embargoing right-to-work states.

• Options
    Wah wah, grow up.

Democrats exist in North Carolina, too.

It'd be nice if liberals didn't commit suicide like this all the fucking time.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Good for them.

On the one hand, good on them for sticking to their principles. 'Right to work' is a glorified way of saying "we don't have to tell you why you're fired".

On the other hand, when one party has been spending the last 30 years making "union" a dirty word to America, potentially alienating the party who is your last political ally might not be the wisest decision.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.