As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Huh, what does Redbox do with discs after they're out of the kiosks? Sell them as used? I wonder if they've now got a couple warehouse shelves full of Max Payne 3 Disc 2 that they are going to hang on to.

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    “Redbox kiosks are only equipped to rent out one disc per rental fee. Since customer feedback has told us that many of our game customers like to test out titles before they buy them, we've decided to offer Disc 1 of Max Payne 3 for Xbox 360 so that renters can try it out for a low daily rate. Disc 1 contains the entire online multiplayer mode and the first half of the extremely substantial single-player game. We think that's a great deal for just a couple of dollars a day, and we're excited to offer it! We've added a message on the website and on kiosk screens to let renters know about the limited game-playing.”

Game manufacturer's wet dream. Paid physical demos.

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »
    I've been hanging around the media-create threads on gaf for too long, I forgot how mediocre 3DS has been doing in western markets. My mind was dead set on 3DS not receiving a revision until 2013, but after seeing those awful April numbers, I'm starting to lean towards an E3 announcement this year. They need a serious shot in the arm.

Wait what, just last page I posted a quote from an analyst saying that 3DS is a million ahead of the DS when you compare their first 14 months...and the DS has had two Christmases, while 3DS has only had one.

Yeah but the 3DS is 2.5 million behind what the GBA was at the same point in its lifecycle. The DS also had a relatively cold start and then skyrocketed within its second year. The 3DS is going to fall behind the DS within the next year at this rate unless it can gain some traction. I don't see anything in the pipeline that's going to do for the 3DS was nintendogs was able to do for the DS.

Understand thought that I'm not saying the 3DS needs to surpass or even keep up with the DS. That'd be a pretty absurd expectation considering how long DS was on top. I think a steady stream of high quality coupled with better marketing should keep numbers healthy, and hopefully we'll get that in the latter half of this year. 3DS is doing swimmingly in Japan but could do with big boost elsewhere. I have to wonder too how much DS numbers are eating into 3DS sales.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    “Redbox kiosks are only equipped to rent out one disc per rental fee. Since customer feedback has told us that many of our game customers like to test out titles before they buy them, we've decided to offer Disc 1 of Max Payne 3 for Xbox 360 so that renters can try it out for a low daily rate. Disc 1 contains the entire online multiplayer mode and the first half of the extremely substantial single-player game. We think that's a great deal for just a couple of dollars a day, and we're excited to offer it! We've added a message on the website and on kiosk screens to let renters know about the limited game-playing.”

We had those for years. They just came wrapped in magazines instead of plastic envelopes.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »

We had those for years. They just came wrapped in magazines instead of plastic envelopes.

Difference here, you don't get to keep this demo.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Is redbox pretty popular for game rentals? I know they tag-teamed with Netflix to kill off hollywood video and fatally wound blockbuster, but I never heard whether or not they gained any traction in the game rental space.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    In a lot of places, Blockbusters was the only place to rent video games.

Even with it's small selection, Redbox is basically facing zero competition in the area of game rentals.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Even with it's small selection, Redbox is basically facing zero competition in the area of game rentals.

There's always Gamefly.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

There's always Gamefly.

6hWtA.gif

Is Gamefly popular? I feel so out of the loop! It always seemed like a rip to me.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

There's always Gamefly.

6hWtA.gif

Is Gamefly popular? I feel so out of the loop! It always seemed like a rip to me.

Yep, it's popular. And actually, it's a pretty nice service, so long as you actually play the stuff they send you and don't let them sit on your coffee table. Great selection and stupidly good incentives for buying used games (stay with them long enough, and they give you a permanent 10% discount on their already great prices and toss you a $5 coupon every few months).

And honestly, Gamefly and Redbox are pretty much the only nationwide options left for renting.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    You know what would be pretty cool, speaking of rentals?

If, after renting the game, you got the opportunity to purchase the whole thing permanently but the rental price, in full or in part, would be deducted from the price of purchase.

That would be a service I'd like to see.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

There's always Gamefly.

6hWtA.gif

This basically characterizes how everyone I know in person feels about the service very well.

It doesn't help that's negatively compared to Netflix (and even Netflix has gotten more expensive with time). Blockbuster was actually a cheaper option (since they basically had constant deals on game rentals before they were closed up).

Maybe that's just a Southeast thing, but Gamefly hasn't taken off.

It probably has to do with the fact that Redbox machines are literally everywhere. My old apartment had some in the administration building, of all places. A monthly fee is rather unattractive compared to literally omnipresent rental machines, even with a limited selection. If Gamefly is more popular elsewhere in the country, I wonder if it has to do with a lower level of redbox saturation.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »

If, after renting the game, you got the opportunity to purchase the whole thing permanently but the rental price, in full or in part, would be deducted from the price of purchase.

GameFly does it, sort of.

Like I'll get Max Payne 3 from them on Tuesday, and the "Keep It' price will be something like $42.99. So it's basically like getting the game brand-new since no one else has played it yet.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the real deal when it comes to gamefly.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Redbox also does that. After you've rented a game long enough to cover the MRSP, it's yours.

Oh wait, forgot to add that it doesn't include the box and manual (and online pass), which Gamefly does include.

Turkey on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Blockbuster did something like this, at least the ones up in Canada. I don't know if it actually deducted the rental price off, but one time I rented Tales of Vesperia, and on the receipt it said "Return by XXXX, or keep it for $29.99". And I actually considered doing just that.

Still pissed that BB CAN went fucking under. Though I haven't actually been missing the ability to rent shit like I though I would have.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    Redbox also does that. After you've rented a game long enough to cover the MRSP, it's yours.

Oh wait, forgot to add that it doesn't include the box and manual (and online pass), which Gamefly does include.

Redbox's website must suck then, I see nothing indicating that that's possible.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/atari-revenue-down-eden-games-closes-doors/095839
    Atari has reported a decrease in revenue for its fiscal 2012, and in the wake of the results the publisher has begun some major restructuring.

The company’s reached $51.3m in revenue for FY 2012, down from $77.8m the year prior. Atari was able to decrease its losses from $8m to $4.8m at least partially due to the company’s decision to divest some of its less-profitable assets.

As part of the aforementioned plan, Atari shut down what was left of French studio Eden Games; the team responsible for racing title Test Drive Unlimited 2.The publisher previously laid off most of Eden's staff in 2011, and has now decided to discontinue operations entirely and sell off the studio's remaining assets.

Additionally, the publisher also chose to sell to its remaining stake in GameOne, a French television channel focusing on video games, anime, and more. As a result of this sale, Atari pulled in an additional $7.6m.

Atari added numbers were down because it is still building its mobile games arm. Performances from mobile games including Breakout: Boost, Atari's Greatest Hits, and Asteroid Gunner—which have collectively reached more than 10m downloads at the time of the report—have encouraged the company to refocus its efforts on the budding space.

UPDATE: An Atari spokesperson has contatced MCV to question the use of the term 'closed' in reference to Eden.

The statement reads: "Atari has begun the divestiture process, which means it is selling Eden and its assets, a process that takes time but ultimately means that the studio and its products still exist until further notice."

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Interestingly enough the last time I actually rented a game was from Blockbuster's netflix clone. They gave me a three month free trial and ten free blurays for joining when my local BB went under.

They had amazing turnaround because the distrobution center was about 50 miles away.

Renting actual games from blockbuster was a resort of last measure except for the brief period in high school when two of my friends worked there. Getting the game you want out of a Red Box is like winning the lottery.

You know what, a Red Box like kiosk could be the eventual missing link between console brick and mortar sales and online only digital distribution. A box built to ATM like specs which could safely burn a disc image of the retail game with all the bells and whistles.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    There is a guest editorial on Kotaku about Diablo III. The headline is "The Dumbing Down of Diablo III". Gamin journalism -_-

Your first mistake was going to Kotaku.

• Options

There's always Gamefly.

6hWtA.gif

Yep, it's popular. And actually, it's a pretty nice service, so long as you actually play the stuff they send you and don't let them sit on your coffee table. Great selection and stupidly good incentives for buying used games (stay with them long enough, and they give you a permanent 10% discount on their already great prices and toss you a $5 coupon every few months).

And honestly, Gamefly and Redbox are pretty much the only nationwide options left for renting.

Interesting. Makes sense though that it's only worth it if you actually, you know, play the games you rent. It would never work for someone like me who plays games in infrequent bursts.

In other doom-news, there's an unreliable rumor going around the Vita only pulled in 55k last month. We know it's under 83k since that's what KI sold in April.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

There's always Gamefly.

6hWtA.gif

Interesting. Makes sense though that it's only worth it if you actually, you know, play the games you rent. It would never work for someone like me who plays games in infrequent bursts.

In other doom-news, there's an unreliable rumor going around the Vita only pulled in 55k last month. We know it's under 83k since that's what KI sold in April.

Let's rephrase a prior statement I made then: Avengers vs X-Men #1 sold twice as much as the PS Vita last month.

Sony should start decompressing games and printing them to paper it would sell better. Also! Can you say 1:1000 chromium variant anyone?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I don't know if he saying that so much as the addition of MP, especially in a shooter, is a big thing in the more global market.

And I can't say he's wrong. Look at Bulletstorm, I would say had the game had MP it would have done much better than it did.

Apparently Cliffy B. doesn't follow his own advice.
    Or maybe Bulletstorm is te reason he has that opinion

Edit: apparently I missed the fact that Bulletstorm had coop.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I don't know if he saying that so much as the addition of MP, especially in a shooter, is a big thing in the more global market.

And I can't say he's wrong. Look at Bulletstorm, I would say had the game had MP it would have done much better than it did.

Allow me to respond with the modern method of video game advertising.

COOP IS BABY MODE, EVERYONE WANTS TO FUCKING CHAINSAW EACH OTHER UP, THIS GAME IS GONNA SHIT ON YOUR FUCKING FAAAAAAAAACE HARDCORE

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Interestingly enough the last time I actually rented a game was from Blockbuster's netflix clone. They gave me a three month free trial and ten free blurays for joining when my local BB went under.

They had amazing turnaround because the distrobution center was about 50 miles away.

Renting actual games from blockbuster was a resort of last measure except for the brief period in high school when two of my friends worked there. Getting the game you want out of a Red Box is like winning the lottery.

You know what, a Red Box like kiosk could be the eventual missing link between console brick and mortar sales and online only digital distribution. A box built to ATM like specs which could safely burn a disc image of the retail game with all the bells and whistles.

You can just got online and see if the game is there before heading out. The reason the selection is so weird is because you can return to any kiosk. I got SF x Tekken in one city, and returned it in a completely different city.

Bulletstorm was developed by People Can Fly, not Epic internal. Cliffy probably had little to do with it.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

COOP IS BABY MODE, EVERYONE WANTS TO FUCKING CHAINSAW EACH OTHER UP, THIS GAME IS GONNA SHIT ON YOUR FUCKING FAAAAAAAAACE HARDCORE

What's the difference between regular face shitting and hardcore face shitting?

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My final piece on mortal kombat, then I'll drop it. The entire "it looks so bad" argument is this right here:

The story mode is done through FMV of the console versions. However, the final person who speaks in each cutscene is done in-engine, because it segues smoothly from the cutscene directly into the fight. That last word is almost always a single line - sometimes even less. In the below example, after timing it, the scene is 1.5 seconds long, with scorpion saying "You have already lost."

Vita:
    6P5YB.jpg

console:
    8Ur2N.png

After that, the camera zooms out and you have 60 fps gameplay. This is the difference between the two:

vita:
    MortalKombat-Vita-04.jpg

console:
    MK9_360_CyraxNet-BellTower_High--article_image.jpg

If that tiny second and a half difference is enough to call a port terrible, despite having everything the console version has, plus an entire second game's worth of content, then you're putting too much emphasis on graphics.

That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
    TSR the comparison screenshot you showed from the Vita version mid fight is completely fake. I say that because if it's one of those marketing screenshots, it was post processed to hell and back in such a disgustingly disingenuous manner that is pretty damn close to fraud.

I just loaded up the game and took a screenshot under the exact same conditions to show how it REALLY looks.

2012-05-11-190746.jpg

Well a tiny bit of this can be attributed to being blown up, even though it is the native resolution, but still...

Now you know full well from my comments in the Vita section that I've never complained about the game itself, but the graphics and gave it full credit for "content wise" being a fantastic and completely faithful port. But the graphics are pathetic and shameful, not to mention that their likewise pathetic and shamefully deceitful marketing is completely unacceptable. I mean it's pretty damn bad when the character graphics of a Vita fighting game are competitive with.. PSP fighting games if not worse than some. Considering that, there is nothing wrong with complaining about bad graphics in a good game.

Those of you that don't read the Vita thread can see my thoughts on Mortal Kombat Vita's graphics here.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Blood and guts and gore.

EDIT: Also, titties and sex.

Try to picture that in your mind.

You're welcome.

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Capcom lays out their sales projections

pdf_16.png
    Capcom has laid out commercial projections for its biggest upcoming games, and expects Resident Evil 6 to sell seven million copies. Resident Evil 5 sold almost two million in its first six months or so in the US alone.

Resident Evil 6 is just one of four big titles in the pipeline from Capcom. The Ninja Theory reboot of Devil May Cry is expected to sell two million, and this month's launch of Dragon's Dogma is expected to yield a total of 1.5 million units sold. Finally, the recently announced Lost Planet 3 – which is in development at Spark Unlimited – is expected to sell the least of the bunch, with 1.4 million copies.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Well... gotta give them props for aiming high, at least.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Plastic wrap.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular

Blood and guts and gore.

You're welcome.

D:
    Capcom has laid out commercial projections for its biggest upcoming games, and expects Resident Evil 6 to sell seven million copies. Resident Evil 5 sold almost two million in its first six months or so in the US alone.

Resident Evil 6 is just one of four big titles in the pipeline from Capcom. The Ninja Theory reboot of Devil May Cry is expected to sell two million, and this month's launch of Dragon's Dogma is expected to yield a total of 1.5 million units sold. Finally, the recently announced Lost Planet 3 – which is in development at Spark Unlimited – is expected to sell the least of the bunch, with 1.4 million copies.

Seeing how well ORC sold even though it was such a shitty spin-off, the RE6 sales projection looks pretty possible.

DMC4 sold 2.3 million... Will DmC be able to sell as well as DMC4? The recent media of DmC converted a sizable portion of the pessimists, but there are also a great amount who're still wary, if not full of hate. But then again, message boards rarely seem to represent the general videogame population so who knows.

Capcom seemed to have been misquoted Dragon's Dogma about the 10 million sales remark, and this recent press release just confirms it. 1.5m might be hard, but doable.

I have no idea why Capcom thinks Lost Planet 3 will sell.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/11/sega-earnings-down-in-fiscal-2011-mario-and-sonic-sell-3-million/
    Sega's earnings are down in the year ended March 31, 2012, which shouldn't come as a surprise given the company's recent extreme restructuring measures. Sega reported net sales of 395.5 billion yen ($5 billion), down 0.3 percent from 2011; net income dropped 47.4 percent to 21 billion yen.

In the "consumer business" division (the one that deals with home video games), Sega reported a year-over-year drop in unit sales. Its best-performing game was Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, of course, at 3.28 million copies. Sonic Generations followed at 1.85 million; Virtua Tennis 4 sold 1.04 million across five platforms. Sega listed sales for Football Manager 2012 (710,000) and Yakuza: Dead Souls (550,000), but nothing else -- so we don't know how well Binary Domain did, except to guess that it probably didn't do very well.

Sonic Unleashed sold 2.45 million and that was with a Wii version. Sonic Colors sold 2.18 million copies.

Couscous on
  • Options

Blood and guts and gore.

You're welcome.

And then there's kiddy shit

U22Wg.gif

Plastic wrap.

So I can save some for later? *shudder*

Those sales projections don't look too unreasonable. I think capcom will hit em.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    EVOL wrote: »

Blood and guts and gore.

You're welcome.

D:

Seeing how well ORC sold even though it was such a shitty spin-off, the RE6 sales projection looks pretty possible.

DMC4 sold 2.3 million... Will DmC be able to sell as well as DMC4? The recent media of DmC converted a sizable portion of the pessimists, but there are also a great amount who're still wary, if not full of hate. But then again, message boards rarely seem to represent the general videogame population so who knows.

Capcom seemed to have been misquoted Dragon's Dogma about the 10 million sales remark, and this recent press release just confirms it. 1.5m might be hard, but doable.

I have no idea why Capcom thinks Lost Planet 3 will sell.

Hmm...I think 1.4 mil for Lost Planet 3 is pretty reasonable.

Yeah and it seems Dragon's Dogma was misquoted.

Overall looking at that list I would say those numbers are more than doable.

Heck, if Dragon's Dogma turns out as good as it is looking to be it might do even more than that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD, STOP THE PRESSES YOU GUYS. PIXELS CAN STILL BE SEEN IN VIDEO GAMES.

That Mortal Kombat port argument has reached a level of fucking stupid that I cannot sit by and not comment on.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    To comment on the whole MK thing even though I don't see a point in the argument.

I don't think the handheld port of a HD console game being lower quality than the console game is all that surprising or really that big a deal.

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Those visuals are an abomination. Vita fans who screamed about how amazing the Vita games looked are now using the good old fashion argument of saying graphics don't matter or trying to pass off fake screens as the real deal.

Reminds me of Baghdad Bob.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'd need to see how they look on a Vita's screen and not my PC's 24" screen before I could even suggest they are an "abomination."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    To comment on the whole MK thing even though I don't see a point in the argument.

I don't think the handheld port of a HD console game being lower quality than the console game is all that surprising or really that big a deal.

I don't think it's surprising either. But to say that graphics of a port doesn't matter at all? Hogwash.

The entire presentation of a port matters. There's an art to it.

Again, I will not comment on the Vita MK directly, but to say people shouldn't have be disappointed at a port they feel has fallen short? That perhaps they have no right to be disappointed?

Bullshit.

Unless you've gone through your gaming experience disappointed by nothing. Then I give a hearty *golf clap* to you.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.