As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    It's slightly overwhelming walking into a complete full inventory and retainers when you forget what half of it was there for.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • ChimneyF1reChimneyF1re Registered User regular
    crash. boo

• burningthoughtburningthought EorzeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    When is 2.0 again? EDIT: Oh, early 2013ish I guess.

Also this is on sale via Gamestops download service (Impulse, previously anyway) for $9.99 right now.

Considering it. With D3 coming out I certainly won't have time to play but $10 is pretty nice if for no other reason than to have it on my account for the future.

2.0 is coming out Holiday season 2012. The PC beta is supposed to start sometime in September, with a full release coming in November. They will also be opening up the game giving every player a 3 months free trial Nov.-Jan. Playstation 3 testing will begin somewhere in November too.

lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/index.html - This part of the lodestone has the 2.0 docs that were released last October, they detail the 2.0 rework and have tentative time frames for each phase of the development and release schedules.

Anyways I guess i've been lurking here for a while, i've been playing the game since the first Alpha test, and just never stopped playing. It was pretty terrible at first, but it has improved by leaps and bounds and is definitely not the same game it used to be.

If you guys don't know, a lot of criticisms players have about the game are being addressed with the 2.0 rewrite. They complete rebuilt the game from the ground up using a new engine because of the limitation of the old engine. They plan to decrease the minimum requirements to play the game, so if you can play the game now, you'll be able to play it better during 2.0 release.

There's going to be a lot of cosmetic changes in 2.0, they're using scaleform for the new UI framework they're building, it'll support user made addons. They're axing the seamless world design in favor of a zone system that will let them rework the zones to make them more dynamic and diverse (They're remodelling all non-instanced areas except for city-states). There's tons of other stuff I could cover, but if you take two seconds to read the 2.0 docs you can find all the finer details (Auction House, Player Housing, Legacy weapons (Think Relic weapons from XI), new endgame content, and dedicated PvP content)

Someone asked about endgame content, most people find an LS to "static" with. These linkshells usually have 8-15 people in them. You can only bring in 8 people to raids (Darkhold, Cutters Cry, Aurum Vale) and primals (Garuda, Moogle, Ifrit). Most leaders will do 1-2 runs, then switch out people. Job stacking does happen occasionally, ranged DDs are usually wanted to help avoid AoE damage, but Yoshi-P is trying to combat that by making some content more melee/upclose friendly. If you played TERA or Vindictus you'll be a little disappointed in the big fights, you're not going to get knocked down or anything. There's definitely plenty of stuff you can avoid via positioning, in fact its required in CC/Garuda. The endgame content is pretty fun, drop rates can be incredibly low, Square-Enix loves it Random Number Generators. Time wise, you can run Primals in 10-15 minutes with a decent group, raids on the other hand take about 30 minutes if you try for a 5 chest speed run.

The neat thing about XIV atm is that a lot of wikis don't bother updating, or are completely lacking content, so sometimes you have to cowboy up and figure things out for yourself. Quests and Missions are pretty easy to figure out using your journal and map markers, and the lodestone is pretty much always up to date with crafting, gathering and materia information.

If you've been on the edge about trying out XIV, gamestop has the game on sale for $9.99, and if you subscribe this month you'll be grandfathered into the Legacy Subscription plan, where you get the $9.99 a month rate with multiple character slots if you subscribe for at least 90 days before 2.0 releases. The game purchase alone will net you a free month so you can try out the game to see if its worth your time.

The 1.0 client does suck dick, there's a 40 player display limitation, and the server to client relationship is pretty bad at times. It has gotten way way better since launch, but there are a few lockups while purchasing stuff from the market(hey we have a AH-like system now, it even has item search!) and positioning can be way off in fights.

For older players, you don't really have to grind leves anymore to get decent xp. They added xp-chaining a few patches ago and that really sped up leveling. If you have friends that can help you out, you can hit cap within a week and be raid-ready. They also added rested XP if you logout in your private room and a bunch of other things that can increase xp (like food).

Anyway, that was way more than I expected to write, I guess I got kinda carried away. There's a lot of misinformation running around about XIV, mostly from people who played the launch and disregarded all the updates the new producer made. The bottom line is that the game has changed quite dramatically and is definitely worth a second chance. Square-Enix is going to crank the hype engine at E3 with the 2.0 trailer, so more and more information will be available soon.

Edit: For those that want to get more info on 2.0, Yoshida did a couple of interviews last December with a bunch of fansites and explained the method to his madness.

bluegartr.com/threads/107497-FFXIV-Naoki-Yoshida-Interview-Transcription

bluegartr.com/threads/107730-BG-EXCLUSIVE-Naoki-Yoshida-MORE-Questions-and-Answers

burningthought on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty stoked for the free play over the next 10 days.
    I hear lots of things have changed for the better, and well, 11 is sort of dead to me now since I really don't like the abyssea content.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Thinking of picking the game up, but they do not seem to offer an Oceanic region option, should i play EU/NA/Jap?

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    There are no regions. The entire world plays on the Japanese servers and they are treated as "Global"

• S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    I'll be using the 10 day free trial to see how things have changed so far, but how indicative is this going to be of what's happening with 2.0, if at all?
    Are these 10 free days going to be much of an eye-opener if things are set to change, so drastically, come the end of the year?
    I've just realised as well that my 1000 crysta I paid for around launch never actually got used. so I may go ahead and take a month after the 10 day free period as well. I might as well since I don't see that the crysta has any other use or refund option.

What happened with the server consolidation as well? What server is the LS on now? Will my inactive character have changed server as well or will there be a choice when I go back in?

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    I'll be using the 10 day free trial to see how things have changed so far, but how indicative is this going to be of what's happening with 2.0, if at all?
    Are these 10 free days going to be much of an eye-opener if things are set to change, so drastically, come the end of the year?
    I've just realised as well that my 1000 crysta I paid for around launch never actually got used. so I may go ahead and take a month after the 10 day free period as well. I might as well since I don't see that the crysta has any other use or refund option.

What happened with the server consolidation as well? What server is the LS on now? Will my inactive character have changed server as well or will there be a choice when I go back in?

If you played at all during launch, then yes the new changes will be a mild "eye-opener", however, the more DRASTIC changes are coming with 2.0 this holiday season. It is important to note that while 2.0 is bringing some incredible world shifting changes, the game will remain pretty much the same. Quests and Missions will be tweaked for the new locations and in some cases will be refined for the new engine, but the game play will remain pretty much the same. The ultimate goal of the client/server rewrite was to have better performance and support for future features, things that couldn't be done with the current (1.0) engine. Lastly, 2.0 will most likely be the biggest content update since the 1.21 update.

As far as I know, Crysta isn't refundable, so set your payment option to Crysta and take the month you already paid for (it's not really free since you paid for it already right?). If you pay for 2 more months of service ($9.99 for each month) you'll get upgraded to a Legacy account, and receive the reduced rates for the rest of the lifespan of the game.

The servers were merged shortly after 1.21 launched if I recall correctly. I'm not sure about the PA Forum's Linkshell community. I'm going to assume since they started the Welcome Back Campaign, inactive accounts should be fully transferred already. If you didn't pick a destination server during the eligible time period, your character would automatically be sorted into whichever new world the home world was assigned to. For example, if you were on Kashuan(home world) at launch, and you didn't pick a server to transfer to, your character should've been merged into Hyperion(the new world).

I hope this post helped you out man, Hyperion is a pretty helpful place for new players, much like the old FFXI days. If you haven't played since launch, there has been so many changes and new features added it'd be hard to fit it all into one post. The biggest thing you'll notice the moment you login, is that the client/server relationship got a lot better. It's still not instant by any means, but things load a lot faster than they did at launch. The other thing you'll notice right away is XP Chains, and rested XP(if you log out in your private inn). XP chaining is almost exactly like FFXI, the difference being you get bonus xp for linking, as well as chaining kills. The last thing I'll mention since it's pretty big too is that they finally added the Job System. It works on top of the armoury system and gives you additional skills that you wouldn't have access to on just a class.

You can find out more about all the new stuff at the lodestone: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

God damnit I write too much.

edited May 2012
    Nice, thanks for the info. I was on Wutai before. OP still mentions LS on Wutai so I assume that server still exists.
    Nope, just read it's name changed to Masamune when it merged with Gyashl.

Ok, I'm currently patching. Still have the game installed from the few months I played at launch and have kept it patched in anticipation of the changes being made. I want to love this game so much so I hope it has good things to show me.

Lets dive in.

edit: Ok, I've run about a bit, did a couple of leves I had on me whenever I last played.
    Everything is certainly much much smoother and quicker than it was before.
    All combat skills seem to have changed, so I'll have to get used to that again. Running about town I see there are quests where there were no quests before.
    So many more enemies about then there used to be. Good sign.
    I'm going to read up on more of the changes and try and get an idea of what I'm going to do exactly with these 10 days.
    Is the LS still going on this server? The one I have at the moment is "I require frozen treats".

S-Starwind on
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited May 2012
    Nice, thanks for the info. I was on Wutai before. OP still mentions LS on Wutai so I assume that server still exists.
    Nope, just read it's name changed to Masamune when it merged with Gyashl.

Ok, I'm currently patching. Still have the game installed from the few months I played at launch and have kept it patched in anticipation of the changes being made. I want to love this game so much so I hope it has good things to show me.

Lets dive in.

edit: Ok, I've run about a bit, did a couple of leves I had on me whenever I last played.
    Everything is certainly much much smoother and quicker than it was before.
    All combat skills seem to have changed, so I'll have to get used to that again. Running about town I see there are quests where there were no quests before.
    So many more enemies about then there used to be. Good sign.
    I'm going to read up on more of the changes and try and get an idea of what I'm going to do exactly with these 10 days.
    Is the LS still going on this server? The one I have at the moment is "I require frozen treats".

Just like with XI, you're not going to accomplish much if you don't have goals. So lemme help ya out a bit. At Level 30 you can get a free mount the Goobbue in La Noscea at the Red Rooster, after that you should do the grand company quests so you can get your personal chocobo. You can still rent chocobos in town, but they have lowered movement speed.

Levequests are much better xp/difficulty wise, but the best way to level up is to get into a group or if you can find someone willing, a PL party. If you have a friend who is dedicated, you can pretty much hit the cap within a few days. Anyway, at level 30 you can begin your first Job quest depending on what you Job you want to unlock. You do need to level a subjob as a prerequisite for the quest, and on that note cross-class skills are still very much needed so you'll need to level quite a few classes. It's not as bad as XI where it would take you a month to cap out your sub, most classes are worth getting to level 15 for the skills, with the only exceptions coming to mind are Gladiator and Archer.

Once you hit the cap, you've got a lot of stuff worth doing. Main scenario quests, Raids, Primals, Job AF, and Hamlet defense. I highly suggest you invest in a craft or gathering class, these bring in steady income. Mid-level crafting material can go for a pretty penny if you're willing to put in the time to make them, and gathering classes like Miner bring in quite a bit of money from ores and what not.

Lastly, go do the Private Inn quests so you can start accumulating rested xp. These quests are literally, talk to a npc, run to the ???, watch funny cutscene, and bam free xp. If you can't find the quest, always take a look through the patch notes, I believe it was implemented in 1.21. Most wikis are pretty crappy with the exception of yellowgremlin.

I'm pretty sure Yoshi-P will deliver come November. The past year has been quite the ride with all the huge sweeping changes and Yoshi always delivers. The only complaint most people have is that sometimes things get delayed but i'm sure that will get a lot better once the entire development team is working on content, and not just half of them.

Edit: Seems like they posted a lodestone update with some info on some of the huge changes we've had since launch: lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=6e98d1a3aefe8aada0696c16ca430a565e1cc028

burningthought on
    Right. I've got my private inn for Gridania and just completed 4 leves at camp tranquil. Overall, it's much improved, especially the options regarding increasing the leve difficulty. much more clear-cut.
    Reached Lancer level 21. Still using the "dated" brass spear that I made myself shortly before I stopped playing, from what I can find out, the Iron spear is what I should be looking at getting now. Slightly improved stats on that.
    Conjurer 8, Pugilist 6
    Carp 16, Miner 10, Botanist 13, Blacksmith 16, Weaver 10

I like the "favoured locations" addition for teleporting. That will be very convenient.
    I'm not looking forward to sorting through my inventory and storage, looks a mess right now.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    There's no real PA linkshell on masamune, just a few of us scattered about. As far as your course of action I'd say most people solo leves/power level till about 35 then start looking for groups in ul'dah. All of your group finding will be done there, no one will shout for groups in the other city states. At 25 you can start doing the grand company quests from all 3 cities which are a nice diversion and have some good storylines, then run you all over the world tho so either be patient or get ready to blow some anima. They end with you getting your personal choco

If you're on masamune feel free to shoot me a tell, Selis Semidey and I'll get you some lvl 25 equipment, can even try the NMs for the lvl 25 lance off of one of them

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is Leves still the primary method exp?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Right. I've got my private inn for Gridania and just completed 4 leves at camp tranquil. Overall, it's much improved, especially the options regarding increasing the leve difficulty. much more clear-cut.
    Reached Lancer level 21. Still using the "dated" brass spear that I made myself shortly before I stopped playing, from what I can find out, the Iron spear is what I should be looking at getting now. Slightly improved stats on that.
    Conjurer 8, Pugilist 6
    Carp 16, Miner 10, Botanist 13, Blacksmith 16, Weaver 10

I like the "favoured locations" addition for teleporting. That will be very convenient.
    I'm not looking forward to sorting through my inventory and storage, looks a mess right now.

Favorited Locations - Reduced Anima cost for those locations, but you can only have three favorited at a time.
    You can also set two homepoints now. One location can be at a Private Inn, and the other location can be tied to an Aetheryte. Another quick thing is that near the Private Inn in Ul'dah they added a NPC that will give you access to all the Market Areas and the Hall of Flames. One last cool thing they added was the Aetherpass, it's like 1000-3000 Grand Company seals in your Grand Company, and it allows you to use the mini-aether system in town.

Get rid of dated gear asap. The new revised equipment has better stats in almost all cases.
    Is Leves still the primary method exp?

No, group xping and power level are the primary ways of leveling. Some folks like the quest hub grind, so in those cases there's tons of quests at hamlets, outposts and in town that they can do, along with levequests. Behests have been improved quite a bit as well.

Power leveling has been kinda big since xp chaining was implemented, and even before that. Yoshi-P has let the playerbase know that he approves of players who want to go that route and he will not disrupt players means of achieving that as long as it doesn't negatively effect gameplay or stability. A lot of players cried fowl over this, but he believes that players should have a choice and not be forced into a single way of playing the game.

Same thing with the Garuda glitch, a few players figured out a manaburn strategy for Garuda that kept her from using her Astral Flow (Aerial Blast) and Yoshi-P made an announcement that the glitch would be fixed and that players shouldn't invest time or money into that particular strategy.

Group can be kinda annoying for lower levels, 2.0 is introducing a content finder that will throw players into groups and have them do things like instances (Thing of Mun-tuy Cellars, Nanawa Mines, those types of places) so they can xp and gear up. All those public dungeons are being turned into instances in 2.0. Another huge thing is they are planning on doing serverless matchmaking for the content finder so you'll always be able to find players to run new content.

I'll keep periodically checking in if you guys have more questions.

I'm Claire Farron on Hyperion if anyone needs more help. Send me a PM if you want to join up with me though my play times are a bit wonky since I started a new full time job.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    I'll be reinstalling shortly.

Edit: I had forgotten how this thing handles patches. I will be patching for the next week solid, I think.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Ok, the introductory sequence is just as great as I recall. Autoattack is a freaking godsend, and a lot of things seem less laggy input wise. This is far improved from launch.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    seabass wrote: »
    Ok, the introductory sequence is just as great as I recall. Autoattack is a freaking godsend, and a lot of things seem less laggy input wise. This is far improved from launch.

Oh for sure. The progress this new team has made since launch does give me hope that 2.0 will be a solid showing.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited May 2012

Edit: I had forgotten how this thing handles patches. I will be patching for the next week solid, I think.

Main reason I kept it installed all this time. Juuust in case I found myself playing it again.

Do crafting leves still exist? Don't seem to be finding any since I finished the 2 I had when I logged in from ages ago.
    Also not seeing any of the sub hand crafting tools on this vendor. Are they still used?

S-Starwind on
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I still have my FFXIV sub, its still installed, and I still log on for brief moments. Its still a game I am incredibly interested in and am willing to pay for.

Just, you know, TERA and such.

Also I need to find whatever linkpearl on masamume, it's ronery soloing.

steam_sig.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ah. I see there is legacy campain now. A reduced rate and a free chocobo. Nice. Actually, the rocky release kind of made the game reasonable.

Krathoon on
    Seems like the servers have been down every morning I've tried to play. Is this extraordinary, or do they always do maintenance early in eastern AM?

edited May 2012

In case you don't know the patcher seems to switch ports every time it patches, so look through your config file for the upnp mapping config to figure out which port its running on, then forward that port. It'll drastically improve your speeds.
    Do crafting leves still exist? Don't seem to be finding any since I finished the 2 I had when I logged in from ages ago.
    Also not seeing any of the sub hand crafting tools on this vendor. Are they still used?

Yeah they still exist. There is just a limited number of crafting leves per level range. Leves refresh every 4 hours or something, if you go to Main Menu > Attributes > Timer (Tab) it'll show you all the timers including when the next leve refresh. Secondary Tools are sold in the Market Wards, its very rare that you'll find anything useful at vendors. Most of the time the vendors are completely useless and overpriced. I think the only time i'd ever use a vendor is if they are selling a crafting ingredient that I need and wouldn't be able to find anywhere else.

Crafting was recently overhauled as well, they removed the timer and changed the way HQing works. They decreased the amount of animations needed to synthesize something and sped them up. Standard Synthesis basically looks like the rapid synthesis now. You also can use rested XP to increase the amount of xp you gain per synth, and quality now has a xp bonus multiplier too. All in all crafting is a lot faster to level up, and it feels a bit more rewarding.
    Ah. I see there is legacy campain now. A reduced rate and a free chocobo. Nice. Actually, the rocky release kind of made the game reasonable.

Unfortunately, that's not a free chocobo. What they are talking about with the legacy program is a Chocobo Barding, which is basically a costume/skin for your chocobo. However, as part of the pre-2.0 subscription deal, you can obtain a free Goobbue mount at the Red Rooster Inn in La Noscea (near Limsa Lominsa) once you finish the quest. Which is basically just talking to the NPC. You have to be level 30 to grab it though.
    I still have my FFXIV sub, its still installed, and I still log on for brief moments. Its still a game I am incredibly interested in and am willing to pay for.

Just, you know, TERA and such.

Also I need to find whatever linkpearl on masamume, it's ronery soloing.

I played kTERA for a few months and it was pretty fun. I was highly disappointed when I played the beta testing for the NA version to find out it's basically the same god damn thing. I guess that "westernization" year they took was just translating stuff. I didn't like the quest hub deathmarch to the level cap, and the fact that they didn't have many cutscenes. I didn't have a lot of motivation to do anything. I think its a great game and has a unique battle system, but it'll never catch my attention without cutscenes everywhere. I have a hard time making myself read quest descriptions just to learn the lore. SWTOR, XI and XIV have spoiled me in that regard.
    Seems like the servers have been down every morning I've tried to play. Is this extraordinary, or do they always do maintenance early in eastern AM?

Nope, they usually happen between 12PM PDT - 8PM PDT(At the latest). Looking at the news on the lodestone all the maintenances have been in the pm too. I think it might be a problem on your end.

burningthought on
    edited May 2012
    No idea why it decided to post two posts.

burningthought on
    Found the crafting leves now. Sorting my inventory presented me with the change to 99 stacks from 12 for all stackable items, very welcome.
    Still a bit of a daunting feeling of having so many different things to make sure I'm levelling.
    The crafting system does seem much better, but still seems like I'll need to concentrate on at least 2 craft jobs and, therefore, 2 gathering jobs to be able to put things together without having to buy almost all of it from others.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say that's the case with the crafting system anymore, to make pretty most any lvl 40+ jewelry As a goldsmith I just need an electrum ingot and a gem, both of which I craft as the goldsmith.

As far as getting the mats you can either level up the appropriate gatherer, or do leves which offer the mats as a reward. You can even buy the mats off the ah since for most synths, the finished item is worth more than the individual mats.

edited May 2012

Nope, they usually happen between 12PM PDT - 8PM PDT(At the latest). Looking at the news on the lodestone all the maintenances have been in the pm too. I think it might be a problem on your end.

Yeah. It's just been the last two days. Between 7am and 9am, can't log in. In the evenings it isn't an issue.
    I'll have to look at it.

Edit:

Is there a good site that reports server status, and is there a decent fan site where the forums won't make me retch?

seabass on
    edited May 2012

Yeah. It's just been the last two days. Between 7am and 9am, can't log in. In the evenings it isn't an issue.
    I'll have to look at it.

Edit:

Is there a good site that reports server status, and is there a decent fan site where the forums won't make me retch?

From what I can tell most of those server status websites haven't updated the server ips or whatever since they're showing them down currently when I know they're up. mozk-tabetai.com/ is a pretty good website to find info on crafting/gathering and equipment. He updates during patch days with all the new info too.

I think I might start a FFXIV blog that covers all the big changes XIV has had since launch in weekly installments or something. That way every time I feel the need to tell people this stuff I can just refer them to the blog. It drives me crazy when there's a lot of misinformation being thrown around about the game since people want to compare May 2012 FFXIV to Launch FFXIV.

burningthought on
    I guess I'll concentrate on Carpenter for now then and leave blacksmith for a while. See how I get along with that.
    Getting some useful pieces of armour from leve rewards, which is something I don't remember happening before at all.
    Find myself switching between control methods. Controller is fine for navigating and and moving about, but I prefer mouse and keyboard for fighting. Targeting and skill selecting is just too much of a chore with the control pad.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I guess I'll concentrate on Carpenter for now then and leave blacksmith for a while. See how I get along with that.
    Getting some useful pieces of armour from leve rewards, which is something I don't remember happening before at all.
    Find myself switching between control methods. Controller is fine for navigating and and moving about, but I prefer mouse and keyboard for fighting. Targeting and skill selecting is just too much of a chore with the control pad.

What kind of controller are you using? I just use a normal PS3 controller and it works so well for me I can't imagine ever going back to KBAM.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.

2.0 is bringing an UI overhaul, where mouse+keyboard and gamepads will have different layouts hopefully making it a bit easier to control with. I hope to see some gameplay at E3 this year with the 2.0 trailer, but its probably just going to be a new cinematic for the new storyline missions.

God, I hope 2.0 tuneup makes this less demanding too. I have it running on my laptop finally, but it looks like hot asshole.

OK, I am installed, patched, and resubbed.

If you are feeling charitable you could even say I am up and running. Someone point me to a guild for optimization, because I have quite forgotten how to get this game running acceptably.

Axen wrote: »

What kind of controller are you using? I just use a normal PS3 controller and it works so well for me I can't imagine ever going back to KBAM.

Yeah, I'm using a PS3 pad. Much like I found with FFXI, generally the confirm button will try to target whatever is most central to the camera angle. More often than not, that seems to be me. I can use the d-pad left and right to get to the target eventually, but in a fight with 2 or more enemies, it can get annoying. Using tab, seems to work much like it will in other mmo's, and the number keys is just so much better than "lefting and righting" through my action bar to pick attacks.
    Using the pad in combat just feels inefficient.

Concerning macro's, is there an easy way to swap between different gear without having to alter the macro each time I get a new piece of gear for a particular set?

Steam ID - The Starwind
    Axen wrote: »

Yeah, I'm using a PS3 pad. Much like I found with FFXI, generally the confirm button will try to target whatever is most central to the camera angle. More often than not, that seems to be me. I can use the d-pad left and right to get to the target eventually, but in a fight with 2 or more enemies, it can get annoying. Using tab, seems to work much like it will in other mmo's, and the number keys is just so much better than "lefting and righting" through my action bar to pick attacks.
    Using the pad in combat just feels inefficient.

Concerning macro's, is there an easy way to swap between different gear without having to alter the macro each time I get a new piece of gear for a particular set?

If you get a new piece of gear you'll need to change the macro. 2.0 is bringing in a "Mannequin" system where you'll be able to create gearsets and switch between them on the fly instead of having to macro everything.

Also those with performance issues, 2.0 is going to be a lot more optimized even to the point where they've announced that they are going to be lowering the minimum requirements to play the game. I can't really give a whole lot of advice on tweaking since I play with defaults and it runs fine for me. If you can play the game somewhat reasonably now, you'll be able to play it better once 2.0 comes out this fall.

So, if I buy a three month subscription now, will I get to be part of the legacy campaign? It seems monstrously unfair to the people who have been subbed all along, but I would totally be down for reduced subscriptions forever.

So, if I buy a three month subscription now, will I get to be part of the legacy campaign? It seems monstrously unfair to the people who have been subbed all along, but I would totally be down for reduced subscriptions forever.

Yes if you start subscribing now you'll get the legacy pricing starting on the 4th month. People who have already subscribed at least 90 days since they reinstated billing automatically got the reduced subscription price so they shouldn't be mad lol. A lot of my friends are subscribing now but waiting till 2.0 to play just to get the discount.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So is the, probably non-existant, PA presence still on Wutai?

I finally got around to setting up my free month tonight, so thought I'd dork around a bit.

EDIT: There is no Wutai...hrm.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    So is the, probably non-existant, PA presence still on Wutai?

I finally got around to setting up my free month tonight, so thought I'd dork around a bit.

EDIT: There is no Wutai...hrm.

Think everybody defaulted to Masamune unless they specifically picked something else - those still playing, anyway. I haven't been in much myself, but I do plan on poking around sometime soon to see what's changed; a lot, from the sound of it.

Hope they kept Radiohead dude in. That was an unexpected reference.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    Yeah, I figured it out about the merges or whatever.

Masamune is currently not allowing creation though, so I just made a character on Excalibur to dick around. I'm not too worried about it.

edited May 2012
    Is there some way to check the status of a server; by which I mean if it's unlocked for character creation, without deleting your character to do so?

I just want to find out when/if Masamune is open for creation. I don't want to invest much on this other server, alone, despite not really many people playing right now (because 2.0 will come eventually; characters probably won't be wiped), if servers unlock relatively frequently.

EDIT: Oh, looks like the servers were locked over a month ago, and there's no timeline on when they'll be unlocked.

That's...disappointing.

The Dude With Herpes on