Options

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Rainy Mood + Ambient Music station on Pandora = me not going postal... yet.

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    Hey so I'm trying to learn Ruby and using my mac (10.7) and the tutorial I'm reading through says I need need Ruby 1.9.x and of course the built-in for OSX is 1.8.7. Does anyone have any experience upgrading Mac Ruby? I'm trying this RVM thing but it keeps failing on me

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://www.macruby.org/source.html ?

Looks like it's the first and last instruction set to get it for the most current version (1.9.whateveritis).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    How is RVM failing?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Here's the errors I'm getting
    rvm install 1.9.3
    Fetching yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /Users/*my username*/.rvm/archives
    Extracting yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /Users/*my username*/.rvm/src
    Configuring yaml in /Users/*my username*/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
    Error running ' ./configure --prefix="/Users/*my username*/.rvm/usr"  ', please read /Users/*my username*/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.3-p194/yaml/configure.log
    Compiling yaml in /Users/*my username*/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
    Error running 'make ', please read /Users/*my username*/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.3-p194/yaml/make.log

Database file /Users/*my username*/.rvm/config/packages does not exist.

Installing Ruby from source to: /Users/*my username*/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p194, this may take a while depending on your cpu(s)...

ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #fetching 
    ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #extracted to /Users/*my username*/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.3-p194 (already extracted)
    ruby-1.9.3-p194 - #configuring 
    Error running ' ./configure --prefix=/Users/*my username*/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p194 --enable-shared --disable-install-doc --with-libyaml --with-opt-dir=/Users/*my username*/.rvm/usr ', please read /Users/*my username*/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.3-p194/configure.log
    There has been an error while running configure. Halting the installation.
    ls: /Users/*my username*/.rvm/rubies/*/bin/ruby: No such file or directory

smokmnky on
  • Options
    Ok ignore me I'm dumb, I didn't have the command line tool stuff installed from Xcode so I didn't have a complier that would run the install. I've since fixed that and have Ruby up to 1.9.3x and it all looks good. Now I have to actually learn stuff!

• Options
    Learning is fun!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Learning is indeed fun.

Less fun? The problem in my previous post was caused by a stray extra underscore in a filename (i.e. 3 underscores after init instead of 2)

:rotate:

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Grrr XNA is frustrating me. I made a Tetris thing a couple weeks ago, and now I'm working on a roguelike thing. I'm testing drawing just a simple 3x3 grid to see if it's grabbing the terrain sprites correctly, and for whatever reason, if the variable it checks to see if the screen needs updating is false, it's blanking the screen with fuchsia. I didn't have this issue with the Tetris one. It simply left stuff on the screen if needed. And it's not doing the GraphicsDevice.Clear because that's set to white.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vad710vad710 Eat more Vatapa! MassachusettsRegistered User new member
    What is everyone's feelings on XNA? It seems like there are few, if any, folks hiring XNA talent. It seems like everyone is sticking to traditional game programming (C++) or Unity.

Do something. The world won't save itself.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I don't know much about XNA, but I think that people are drawn to Unity because of it's cross-platform abilities.

XNA is very limited in that regard.

XNA strikes me as too complicated for a common hobbyist, but not quite beefy enough for someone who is weighing it versus Unreal versus Unity versus _______

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    For the uncommon hobbyist (one who already has some familiarity with programming) it's pretty great. If you don't mind limiting yourself to XBOX and Windows.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vad710vad710 Eat more Vatapa! MassachusettsRegistered User new member
    For the uncommon hobbyist (one who already has some familiarity with programming) it's pretty great. If you don't mind limiting yourself to XBOX and Windows.

Agreed! I am really enjoying the platform, specially as an engineer that's been working with C# for ten years. I am just not sure if it is the best platform to learn since there appears to be a real lack of job postings looking for this skill set, compared to Unity. Probably for the exact reasons that Jasconius mentioned.

I really enjoy the platform, it just feels like it may not be the best way to spend my time with the lack of opportunities.

Do something. The world won't save itself.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    C# is divisive.

Having been on both sides of the C# fence I find that the two sides don't want to talk to each other.

So XNA's pool is: guys who understand .NET and C# who have enough ability to write a 3D game (which is like seven people)

Unity's pool is: everyone else, because nobody wants to install Visual Studio and learn C# if they have the option not to

Jasconius on
  • Options
    I am on both sides of the fence: I enjoy and like C#, but don't want anything to do with Visual Studio and Microsoft infrastructure and frameworks.

• Options
    that is pretty much me too

i like C# a lot

i dislike *most* of .NET outside of system.*

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Why don't you like Visual Studio? I've always thought of it as a competent IDE.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    it doesn't help that it has maybe the worst HTML/Javascript editing characteristics ever

i truly despise web development in visual studio

if I were trying to build Half-Life 2, ok fine, whatever

but it's just horrible at markup and embedded script

• Options
    I don't like IDEs period. I would always rather just use a rich featured text editor, but .NET does not allow for that.

I also despise anything that can make a solid computer (2.66GHz Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM) stall on basic actions, which VS2010 does.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Visual studio is the best debugger though

• Options
    Yeah, Visual Studio isn’t great for web development. I think they kind of tacked it on around the time they started offering Expressions, which seems like their proper offering for web development.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Expressions, which seems like their proper offering for web development.

It's garbage

Here's what an HTML editor needs:

1) Good auto tabbing
    2) Helpful tag completion
    3) Enough CSS reminders to get you through the day

nothing Microsoft offers has any of these

Aptana was the first Windows tool I ever found that did truly great at both of these

Sublime 2 is pretty damn good as well, and is very moddable.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Visual Studio is probably my favorite IDE outside of website making. C#/C++ apps and debugging, yes please.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I'm doing revision for my OS exam which is next friday.

The people who write these things are fucking geniuses. Who the hell sits down and comes up with this. I mean, I kinda vaguely understand how a bit of it works when I spend 8 hours reading books about it, but being able to come up with it from nothing is just... WOW.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Most of it was mostly "We need this, let's think it out and plan it through" like you'd get with most software. No one just wrote an OS , they were mostly piled on top of existing systems until you had the basics of a modern OS.

Things like Windows show this pretty well. You've got the Windows UI, but that was essentially (a long time ago) built on top of a DOS system. Before DOS you start getting into mainframes and card readers and uni vac systems.

I guess if you were to write a modern OS it probably seems a bit more complex like how building a jet is different than building a Wright Brother's flyer.

Edit: but in the same way that you wouldn't write an office suite from scratch but you'd probably start with notepad.

bowen on
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So I so don't want to be at work writing architecture review documentation... Even on a good day but with Diablo 3 waiting at home its even more painful. The servers being currently down isn't much of a salve.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Most of it was mostly "We need this, let's think it out and plan it through" like you'd get with most software. No one just wrote an OS , they were mostly piled on top of existing systems until you had the basics of a modern OS.

Things like Windows show this pretty well. You've got the Windows UI, but that was essentially (a long time ago) built on top of a DOS system. Before DOS you start getting into mainframes and card readers and uni vac systems.

I guess if you were to write a modern OS it probably seems a bit more complex like how building a jet is different than building a Wright Brother's flyer.

Edit: but in the same way that you wouldn't write an office suite from scratch but you'd probably start with notepad.

It’s the same way with hardware. The Intel chips still have compatibility with 8086 code, right? I remember hearing that you still have to use different commands in assembly to get floating point precision because back in the day the floating point logic was all in a different chip.

• Options
    Something like that. 8086 ASM should work in x86 afaik (hence the 86 part). I think x64 is also compatible with 8086 instruction sets?

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    So I so don't want to be at work writing architecture review documentation... Even on a good day but with Diablo 3 waiting at home its even more painful. The servers being currently down isn't much of a salve.

I am staying away from Diablo 3 while I enjoy gainful employment.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Something like that. 8086 ASM should work in x86 afaik (hence the 86 part). I think x64 is also compatible with 8086 instruction sets?

Yes, all PCs boot in 16 bit real mode, with 1 MB of physical memory enabled (also known as the original PC configuration) and configure themselves up from there. x64 drops real mode support while enabled but the chips support it in legacy mode

Phyphor on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    I think x64 is also compatible with 8086 instruction sets?

I think x64 has broken compatibility with the 16-bit instruction set, hence why 64-bit Windows no longer supports 16-bit apps natively.

I am willing to bet, however, that if x64 had somehow maintained compatibility with 16-bit apps, the 64-bit versions of Windows would still be able to run 16-bit apps natively. As it is though, for most people still running 16-bit apps, virtualisation like DOSBox or Virtual PC will be enough, so it's worked out pretty well for Windows.

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I don't know much about XNA, but I think that people are drawn to Unity because of it's cross-platform abilities.

I thought Unity was 3D games exclusively, however?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    C# is divisive.

Having been on both sides of the C# fence I find that the two sides don't want to talk to each other.

So XNA's pool is: guys who understand .NET and C# who have enough ability to write a 3D game (which is like seven people)

Unity's pool is: everyone else, because nobody wants to install Visual Studio and learn C# if they have the option not to

You do realize that Unity embeds mono as it's runtime environment, and you actually create your game logic using C#, JavaScript.NET, or Boo, right?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    KiTA wrote: »

I thought Unity was 3D games exclusively, however?

No, you can do 2D with Unity. You just have to understand the fact that even 2D games today, are really 3D games, just using an orthographic projection, and projecting textures on to camera facing planes, generally represented as quads. The days of mode 13 and writing directly to surfaces is mostly gone.

You can do this yourself using just raw Unity, but there are also some Unity plugins that make wrap some of that in to a nice friendly API and workflow.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The earliest 2d game we worked on didn't even do that. We drew polygons to a canvas surface in winapi or something like that. And that was like 12-15 years ago.

bowen on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    I don't like IDEs period. I would always rather just use a rich featured text editor, but .NET does not allow for that.

I also despise anything that can make a solid computer (2.66GHz Core 2 Quad, 4GB RAM) stall on basic actions, which VS2010 does.

The problem with Windows (and complex java development) is that creating the makefiles and in between steps on compilation by hand would be insane. VS is good at handling that shit in the background for you. but the actual editing and tools - bleh, very bleh.

Phyphor wrote: »
    Visual studio is the best debugger though

meh... knowing how the heck to use gdb is good times :-)
    I think x64 is also compatible with 8086 instruction sets?

I think x64 has broken compatibility with the 16-bit instruction set, hence why 64-bit Windows no longer supports 16-bit apps natively.

I am willing to bet, however, that if x64 had somehow maintained compatibility with 16-bit apps, the 64-bit versions of Windows would still be able to run 16-bit apps natively. As it is though, for most people still running 16-bit apps, virtualisation like DOSBox or Virtual PC will be enough, so it's worked out pretty well for Windows.

yeh, 16bit instruction insanity has been dropped since (at least) the core2's, maybe the Pentium-Ds. The instruction set looked like it was built for an ovegrown calculator (poke poke). It's much more sane now. Well, less insane. Not as mostly sane as ARM's, but better than an Intel set has looked in a long time.

• Options
    I find hand crafting makefiles to be tedious and pointless for the most part. The rare exception I would need them makes building executable files in any environment besides xcode and vstudio a pain in the junk.

• Options
    Obs++;Obs++; Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Does anybody know of any good network programming books that will teach someone how to design commercial applications that interface with remote servers in a secure, stable, and scalable way, preferably in limited resource conditions?

Obs++; on
  • Options
    I just use something like NAnt for .NET stuff, and Premake for C/C++ projects. Righting entire makefiles is for chumps.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    I find hand crafting makefiles to be tedious and pointless for the most part. The rare exception I would need them makes building executable files in any environment besides xcode and vstudio a pain in the junk.
    Something something CMake something something.
    You can even generate Xcode and VS projects with it.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
This discussion has been closed.