As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Obs++; wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any good network programming books that will teach someone how to design commercial applications that interface with remote servers in a secure, stable, and scalable way, preferably in limited resource conditions?

There's probably books on security, stability, scalability and networking that when combined would give you the knowledge you need?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I find hand crafting makefiles to be tedious and pointless for the most part. The rare exception I would need them makes building executable files in any environment besides xcode and vstudio a pain in the junk.
    Something something CMake something something.
    You can even generate Xcode and VS projects with it.

If it's more complicate than "cmake -project:vstudio10 [directory with .h and .cpp files here]" then it's just as bad as writing it by hand I bet.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Now that I have an Nvidia card again, I need to play with CUDA a bit.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Are you guys paying any attention to Oracle v Google? I thought this exchange was pretty funny.
    groklaw wrote:

Judge: We heard the testimony of Mr. Bloch. I couldn't have told you the first thing about Java before this problem. I have done, and still do, a significant amount of programming in other languages. I've written blocks of code like rangeCheck a hundred times before. I could do it, you could do it. The idea that someone would copy that when they could do it themselves just as fast, it was an accident. There's no way you could say that was speeding them along to the marketplace. You're one of the best lawyers in America, how could you even make that kind of argument?

Oracle: I want to come back to rangeCheck.

Judge: rangeCheck! All it does is make sure the numbers you're inputting are within a range, and gives them some sort of exceptional treatment. That witness, when he said a high school student could do it--

Oracle: I'm not an expert on Java -- this is my second case on Java, but I'm not an expert, and I probably couldn't program that in six months. Let me come back to rangeCheck after I've reminded the Court about the test files....

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    I think it's funny that they found a judge who's a programmer, who can call Oracle on their bullshit.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think it's funny that they found a judge who's a programmer, who can call Oracle on their bullshit.

thanks frigging god, too. you get teh right know-nothing luddite judge up there, and suddently API's and ABI's are copywriteable, and Oracle wins.

Google is going to wipe the floor with Oracle, and thank god they will. Though I will say that the evil power of McNealy + Ellison is till nothing compared to Zuckerman.

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    That judge. /swoon

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    So, I a while ago I had to install an Oracle’s database on my laptop, and then I had to install a different version of it a while later. Eventually I removed both of them because they weren’t needed anymore. Apparently their idea of uninstall is remove the links to the program, but leave all the files sitting there, so I had to delete them manually.

Anyway, this week I had to reinstall a database again. The install was super jancky and spit out a bunch of errors towards the end, but it finished. I create my database (which took 3 times because it kept freezing), but can’t connect to it. I make sure the listener is configured correctly. Then I try starting the listener from command line, which spits out some non-descript errors. I try to start it in services, which yields a vague error. Eventually, I track it down to the registry entry for the listener’s executable pointing to where the old install was.

This is why you need to have proper installers/uninstallers with your software, folks.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    Oracle's install/uninstall process has always been a total joke.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I tried to get AMD's stream SDK or whatever they're calling it this week working in Visual Studio but there were some serious issues with the paths and I couldn't run the samples at all without manually changing a bunch of build paths, and eventually gave up. Which sucks because I'd really like to play around with it.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    I was writing range checks in QBASIC before I even knew what the fuck I was doing.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I was writing range checks in QBASIC before I even knew what the fuck I was doing.

"Before" would imply that you know what the fuck you're doing now!

*rimshot*

• Options
    Hmm you're probably right.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    That judge is awesome.

• Options
    vad710vad710 Eat more Vatapa! MassachusettsRegistered User new member
    While I do appreciate a good debate on platforms, my original question was less about technology and more about industry trends. It seems to me that current job openings reflect Unity/C++ moreso than XNA. Have you guys found this to be true as well, or am I getting an incorrect vibe from the market?

Do something. The world won't save itself.
  • Options
    Always. XNA is a hobbyist platform. It's why you don't see more people looking for RPGMaker experience.

C++ and Unity are industry standards for 3d games, XNA is just microsoft's pet project to push C# and DirectX into an indie/home user/hobby market. The more people that use C# in the free time, the large chance it has of getting more market tread in the real world, which means more people will use Windows as a development platform and more people will buy Visual Studio. (Mono and .NET are quickly replacing Java)

• Options
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts

Wasteland 2 is going to use Unity. WOo!

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    So, I think I'm going to write my web crawler in Python. Any specific editors people like for that? I'll be doing development on Windows. Any tips and tricks that you wish you knew? I did PERL a few years back, but never Python. Should be fun!

• Options
    sublime text 2 is a great editor

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    C# is divisive.

Having been on both sides of the C# fence I find that the two sides don't want to talk to each other.

So XNA's pool is: guys who understand .NET and C# who have enough ability to write a 3D game (which is like seven people)

Unity's pool is: everyone else, because nobody wants to install Visual Studio and learn C# if they have the option not to

You do realize that Unity embeds mono as it's runtime environment, and you actually create your game logic using C#, JavaScript.NET, or Boo, right?

or javascript

which is notably not C#

and in unity you never touch visual studio

so

that

• Options
    My PM thought I was crazy when I told him that a design generated in Java will look different than a design generated in XAML or C++. He asked me why and I had to tell them they are different visual paradigms (love to throw that word at someone) and they are going to be next to impossible to replicate through each of the languages.

Hell Java in Windows and Mac look wildly different even though they are using the same JVM (well... Apple made their own JVM, but it's still a JVM).

• Options
    How does he not know that? They're all distinct and separate APIs.

• Options
    It's like saying kidney beans should taste the same as green beans because they're beans.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Tell him there is a reason no one else does it. :P

The reason being they're not insane.

And pixel-perfect design is dumb.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »

There's the term I was looking for.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    <Canvas>
            <Image
                Canvas.Left="167"
                Canvas.Top="122">
                <Image.Source>
                  <BitmapImage
                UriSource="./images/asdf.png"/>
                </Image.Source>
            </Image>
        </Canvas>

Anyone have any idea why this works in the Design Editor window (I can see the image) but not when I actually run the thing?

e: Design Editor window in Visual Studio, and the above code is XAML.

urahonky on
  • Options

Agreed 100%.

• Options
    "." refers to different places based on runtime and debugging.

• Options
    Yeah, likely the path isn't what you think it is.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    C# is divisive.

Having been on both sides of the C# fence I find that the two sides don't want to talk to each other.

So XNA's pool is: guys who understand .NET and C# who have enough ability to write a 3D game (which is like seven people)

Unity's pool is: everyone else, because nobody wants to install Visual Studio and learn C# if they have the option not to

You do realize that Unity embeds mono as it's runtime environment, and you actually create your game logic using C#, JavaScript.NET, or Boo, right?

or javascript

which is notably not C#

and in unity you never touch visual studio

so

that

I said JavaScript....and you can use Visual Studio with Unity instead of MonoDevelop. I do.

• Options

Which is a double problem because if this wasn't device agnostic he could probably use a resource file and circumvent the need to deal with the filesystem completely.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    urahonky wrote: »
    <Canvas>
            <Image
                Canvas.Left="167"
                Canvas.Top="122">
                <Image.Source>
                  <BitmapImage
                UriSource="./images/asdf.png"/>
                </Image.Source>
            </Image>
        </Canvas>

Anyone have any idea why this works in the Design Editor window (I can see the image) but not when I actually run the thing?

e: Design Editor window in Visual Studio, and the above code is XAML.

First off, learn to not use the design editor. It's pointless once you start doing anything even a little bit dynamic. If you absolutely must use a designer, get Expression Blend.

I don't even open XAML files in their own editor/designer anymore, I have them defaulted to open in the stock XML editor in Visual Studio.

Second, don't use Canvas in WPF unless you really know what you're doing. Canvas completely breaks the flexible layout engine, and makes the vector rasterization of WPF pointless, unless you want to write your own vector calculations to correctly move things around in absolute pixel terms.

e: And remove the '.', root the path out. You will also need to learn pack syntax if the resource you want to load is in a different assembly than your executing assembly.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    He is likely being tasked to make a portable file format using XML that blends with WPF rather than winapi and looks the same across all platforms.

So, rasterization is probably exactly what he wants to avoid.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm out of town for a week and people are talking about both VFP and TDD? So much to complain about with one and so many questions to ask on the other...

Does anyone have any good links on different testing methodologies and where they're most useful? I'm much better at writing tests that I used to be, but I'm sure I'm not "doing it right". For example, I have no idea how to write regression tests that involve services which I won't have credentials for once my part in the project ends.
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    So, I think I'm going to write my web crawler in Python. Any specific editors people like for that? I'll be doing development on Windows. Any tips and tricks that you wish you knew? I did PERL a few years back, but never Python. Should be fun!

For straight text editors, I like Sublime Text 2 and Notepad++. For IDEs, I've found PyCharm to work best for me. It's not free, but they do hand out free license keys to open source projects. When I used Eclipse, there were a bunch of little wonky things that made it a bit of a pain to use. NetBeans worked for a while, but I've found adding plugins to it can make it a bit unstable so I stopped doing that.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Then they shouldn't be using WPF, BLARGLE BLARGLE HERP DERP.

Seriously, just use XAML to re-create WinForms control hierarchies. No reason to even use WPF. In fact, you're paying a performance penalty for nothing.

• Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    Oh man, I'm out of town for a week and people are talking about both VFP and TDD? So much to complain about with one and so many questions to ask on the other...

Does anyone have any good links on different testing methodologies and where they're most useful? I'm much better at writing tests that I used to be, but I'm sure I'm not "doing it right". For example, I have no idea how to write regression tests that involve services which I won't have credentials for once my part in the project ends.
    DrunkMc wrote: »

For straight text editors, I like Sublime Text 2 and Notepad++. For IDEs, I've found PyCharm to work best for me. It's not free, but they do hand out free license keys to open source projects. When I used Eclipse, there were a bunch of little wonky things that made it a bit of a pain to use. NetBeans worked for a while, but I've found adding plugins to it can make it a bit unstable so I stopped doing that.

Wouldn't the credentials be parametrized somewhere and updated by whoever ends up maintaining the app?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Then they shouldn't be using WPF, BLARGLE BLARGLE HERP DERP.

Seriously, just use XAML to re-create WinForms control hierarchies. No reason to even use WPF. In fact, you're paying a performance penalty for nothing.

Just a guess though, I could be completely wrong.

I've seen worse, though, so it's probably exactly what they're doing.

• Options

But if I have something wrong in the file name it points directly to that folder where the images are created. And why is it showing up in the stupid editor window if it isn't running or throwing an error. If the image didn't exist in that place then it would error out on me like it always does.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

But if I have something wrong in the file name it points directly to that folder where the images are created. And why is it showing up in the stupid editor window if it isn't running or throwing an error. If the image didn't exist in that place then it would error out on me like it always does.

Add gibberish to the end of the filename, change nothing else, see what happens differently?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Error 1 Could not find file 'C:\Users\kharris\Documents\Visual Studio 11\Projects\ccmidsTestApp1\ccmidsTestApp1\images\fdsa.pngasdf'. C:\Users\kharris\Documents\Visual Studio 11\Projects\ccmidsTestApp1\ccmidsTestApp1\MainWindow.xaml 31 15 ccmidsTestApp1

This discussion has been closed.