As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Objectively discussing music (Or: Why My Chemical Romance is awful)

2»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Pink Moon wrote: »
    Can we shift the discussion to how Yellowcard is objectively awful? Because boy howdy.

Also man, "linguistic logic" is just two words you heard and put together. It ain't a theoretical basis for music criticism.

Yellowcard is awful but MCR is just...offensively bad.

Which is an opinion you are free to have! But, alas, not objectively true.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I also liked their cover of Bob Dylan's Desolation Row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOuSxal8pf4

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Pink MoonPink Moon Registered User regular
    Come to think of it, even shit isn't objectively awful. It's highly valued in some parts of India. I mean it's one thing to appreciate that something that stinks has many practical uses, like fertilizer or fuel. But there's a ceremony where a family consumes something called "Five gifts of the cow" which aside from milk and clarified butter and some other stuff I don't recall also contains dung.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The intro verse sounds like a cheap rip off of Tool's Stinkfist and countless other tracks. The hook itself sounds interchangeable with something Rihanna or pretty much any other manufactured artist would sing...

Those 2 songs objectively have many of the same characteristics that I claim make MCR awful, yet I don't consider them a crime against humanity the way I do MCR and Coldplay. They don't ring as hollow and cynically targeted specifically at 13 year olds or people who somehow haven't listened to very much music in their lives prior.

This seems to be the nut of OP's criticism of MCR. And while I suppose criticizing something for being overly derivative is fair enough, to call it "objective" criticism is kind of spectacularly ironic when one of your counter-examples is Yellowcard.

ed: also, when you're criticizing music for being "targeted" at particular groups of people whom you describe in an unflattering manner, it might be time to just abandon any claim of objectivity completely

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Come to think of it, even shit isn't objectively awful. It's highly valued in some parts of India. I mean it's one thing to appreciate that something that stinks has many practical uses, like fertilizer or fuel. But there's a ceremony where a family consumes something called "Five gifts of the cow" which aside from milk and clarified butter and some other stuff I don't recall also contains dung.
    Has anyone strayed outside the category of consuming MCR's songs as music in order to address your arguments?

edit: or perhaps this is the rub. Can you define an objective set of criteria to determine the musical utility of something? Like we can talk about energy density of food and fuel?

Bama on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    did i actually just read this

wha

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The intro verse sounds like a cheap rip off of Tool's Stinkfist and countless other tracks. The hook itself sounds interchangeable with something Rihanna or pretty much any other manufactured artist would sing...

Those 2 songs objectively have many of the same characteristics that I claim make MCR awful, yet I don't consider them a crime against humanity the way I do MCR and Coldplay. They don't ring as hollow and cynically targeted specifically at 13 year olds or people who somehow haven't listened to very much music in their lives prior.

This seems to be the nut of OP's criticism of MCR. And while I suppose criticizing something for being overly derivative is fair enough, to call it "objective" criticism is kind of spectacularly ironic when one of your counter-examples is Yellowcard.

I did say that I didn't think Offspring and Yellowcard were great in anyway. Just not as tear inducingly shitty as MCR.

• Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    did i actually just read this

wha

I'm just saying that no one would be able to discuss anything if everyone kept playing the everything is subjective card. There are aspects of subjective observation that, if backed up by rational logic can hold water. Not all criticism should be dismissed treated as inconsequential personal opinion on the same level as whether you like potatoes or not.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I did say that I didn't think Offspring and Yellowcard were great in anyway. Just not as tear inducingly shitty as MCR.

It doesn't seem like it matters how terrible you think something is; if we are talking about 'objective' judgment we need to consider the criteria you are using. You think one of the three is worse than the others, but mostly because of prior assumptions you have formed, not because of some qualitative difference.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

You also never explained how it's objectively bad but instead gave multiple subjective complaints.

You also never explained what linguistic logic is.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    but the basis of your 'rational complaints' are entirely subjective- this buildup is suspenseful, this buildup is trivial, this slow increase in tempo 'makes you think' while this one is just blasting your ears to prep you for the chorus... this is incredibly subjective.

• Options
    MCR is bad because aside from being shamelessly derivative, the music lacks nuance. I pointed out a minor example of what could be considered "nuance" in the Yellowcard song. The MCR song lacked even that.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    MCR is bad because aside from being shamelessly derivative, the music lacks nuance. I pointed out a minor example of what could be considered "nuance" in the Yellowcard song. The MCR song lacked even that.

No, you pointed out what you would consider nuance.

• Options
    there's a tension when he sings "sleeping all day staying up all..." there's a tension created in the mind of listener before he sings "night" and when he sings the word it's accentuated by the lead guitar line

not subjective. if i'm talking to you and suddenly in mid sentence I

stop talking for a few seconds, that's going to create tension that isn't resolved until I finish the sentence. The guitar line does serve to accentuate when he sings the word/note "Night", because it's a new element introduced during the silence between where his sentence cut off and when he sings the last word of it.

• Options

Really all you did was point out that you didn't like their message cause it's been done before. But that's true of just about every message in any medium today. And then complained that it was vague on the details of who but haven't explained why being vague on that is objectively bad.

Then you made up the phrase linguistic logic.

• Options
    there's a tension when he sings "sleeping all day staying up all..." there's a tension created in the mind of listener before he sings "night" and when he sings the word it's accentuated by the lead guitar line

stop talking for a few seconds, that's going to create tension that isn't resolved until I finish the sentence.

This is true. But what about that is objectively good or bad? Some people like tension. Some people don't.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

stop talking for a few seconds, that's going to create tension

Or just make me think that you have a speech impediment.

• Options
    Why is it bad that the song is vague about oppressors? because that makes it insincere, it makes the song a yes-man, a false friend. Some people like yes men, and I'm sure they do great things for people. But objectively, they're not a good thing.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

stop talking for a few seconds, that's going to create tension that isn't resolved until I finish the sentence.

This is true. But what about that is objectively good or bad? Some people like tension. Some people don't.

No but the tension engaged your faculties. It made you think.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    almost all western music has tension and a buildup towards crescendo! you still haven't really explained how MCR fails in that regard. i just searched for them on spotify, not being a fan, and the first couple of songs i listened to all have a slowly driving buildup which has you waiting expectantly for the chorus.

Organichu on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    Why is it bad that the song is vague about oppressors? because that makes it insincere, it makes the song a yes-man, a false friend. Some people like yes men, and I'm sure they do great things for people. But objectively, they're not a good thing.
    How specific does something need to be in order to be "objectively" good? Are all love songs terrible?

• Options
    Why is it bad that the song is vague about oppressors? because that makes it insincere, it makes the song a yes-man, a false friend.

Why? How does it do this? What about the song itself is insincere? By being accessible? By broadly applying to what many people feel they're dealing with?

• Options

No but the tension engaged your faculties. It made you think.

Not really, no.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Music is so temporally subjective. People's musical tastes are hugely informed by the times when they first discovered new types of music, what was going on in their life at the time, and how non-musical experiences are associated with it.

Case in point: Most people my age think The Smashing Pumpkins are amazing. I love 'em. But any time I actually try to listen to their lyrics, the poetry is fucking fuck-awful. If I try to pull out specific components of the music I think about how badly synthesized a ton of it is. I'd fault no teenagers today for hating it, but it's firmly entrenched not only as a band I enjoy but also as an entire sub-genre of music that I have positive associations regarding.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Bama wrote: »
    How specific does something need to be in order to be "objectively" good? Are all love songs terrible?

In this case? it unconditionally validates the listener.

that's sleazy.

• Options
    Bama wrote: »

In this case? it unconditionally validates the listener.

that's sleazy.

Says who?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    well if it unconditionally validates the listener without context, is composed mainly to deliver the hook at the expense of the rest of the song, and is thoroughly unoriginal to boot, that makes a song bad.

Pink Moon on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I hated MCR's early stuff - my little sister loved it, I found it embaressing to listen to.

Then a bunch of their songs showed up in Guitar Hero and they were awesome, this one especially;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSAUyNEG8mk

You could call it a bland chordfest but each 'repeat' added a new layer, to the point that no section of the song was a copy paste repeat. That makes it good, imo. It's not formulaic, it has a little depth to it. I listened to the rest of that album off the strength of the Guitar Hero songs, and enjoyed most of it. Still couldn't listen to their first without feeling silly. Then the singles for their newer album were all horribly off putting so I haven't given it a go.

So yeah, I like MCR's middle album. I shall defend it to the last! Or until ya remember opinions are subjective. :P

Don't feel bad. The Black Parade is a pretty great album.

So far, I haven't liked any of their other stuff.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Music is so temporally subjective. People's musical tastes are hugely informed by the times when they first discovered new types of music, what was going on in their life at the time, and how non-musical experiences are associated with it.

Case in point: Most people my age think The Smashing Pumpkins are amazing. I love 'em. But any time I actually try to listen to their lyrics, the poetry is fucking fuck-awful. If I try to pull out specific components of the music I think about how badly synthesized a ton of it is. I'd fault no teenagers today for hating it, but it's firmly entrenched not only as a band I enjoy but also as an entire sub-genre of music that I have positive associations regarding.

You bite your goddamn tongue!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    well if it unconditionally validates the listener without context,
    Still haven't explained why this is bad. You keep using different adjectives to call it bad but never explain why it's bad.

is composed mainly to deliver the hook at the expense of the rest of the song and is thoroughly unoriginal to boot, that makes a song bad.

I don't really see it at the expense of the song. And originality is great and all but it not being original doesn't make it objectively bad either.

And I still want to know what linguistic logic is.

Quid on
  • Options
    well if it unconditionally validates the listener without context,
    Still haven't explained why this is bad.
    is composed mainly to deliver the hook at the expense of the rest of the song and is thoroughly unoriginal to boot, that makes a song bad.

I don't really see it at the expense of the song. And originality is great and all but it not being original doesn't make it objectively bad either.

well there's degrees of unoriginality, and the fact that aside from the unoriginality there are other things that suck about the song.

the parts of the song that aren't the hook are pathetically short and unremarkable. imagine if you didn't have the hook and only had to listen to the intro and verse of that song. There wouldn't be much to speak of.

counter example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDVobP7Bfzo

This is a song that you could take the chorus out of, and it would still sound interesting.

• Options
    imagine if you didn't have the hook and only had to listen to the intro and verse of that song. There wouldn't be much to speak of.

So?

Also still waiting for why validating listeners is bad and what linguistic logic means.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    so? what do you mean so? if a song is designed entirely around the idea of getting a 5 second jingle in your head, it would be better off as a jingle, not a song.

why is validating listeners unconditionally with no context a bad thing? because it equates to sucking up. and it's simplistic.

Pink Moon on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This thread is objectively fucking asinine.

This discussion has been closed.