As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, June 18, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 7: UFC Extremely Disputed

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
image[PATV] Monday, June 18, 2012 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 7: UFC Extremely Disputed

THQ had better never let Saints Row go if they keep making decisions like these.

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    RABicleRABicle Registered User regular
    That UFC thing can't be right and wouldn't Mario Kart 7 have sold a few zillion copies by now?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They were talking about 2012 games weren't they? Mario Kart 7 was 2011.

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    My probably wrong napkin math says that 2 million copies at $60 a copy = $120 Million in development costs for a game that I personally have never considered possibly fun, and none of my friends have ever even heard of it.

Somebody please tell me where my math is wrong because if it isn't or is only off by $5-10 million, then I will have lost all faith in THQ and will immediately build a candlelight vigil for Saints Row 4.

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Why a Final Fantasy MMA title. That's like saying they're going to do a Sonic style racing game with the franchise. It's not like Squenix is doing a rhythm music game for...oh, ya.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    IllessaIllessa Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    My probably wrong napkin math says that 2 million copies at $60 a copy = $120 Million in development costs for a game that I personally have never considered possibly fun, and none of my friends have ever even heard of it.

Somebody please tell me where my math is wrong because if it isn't or is only off by $5-10 million, then I will have lost all faith in THQ and will immediately build a candlelight vigil for Saints Row 4.

It's a fair bit less than that - IIRC the publisher is left with ~60% after retailers and MS/Sony take their cut; so $72 Million. Then there's the costs of things like marketing, production, distribution and so forth to take into account before you get to how much the game actually cost to make.

My stab in the dark would be around $50 million. Which is still a lot of money, but slightly less crazy; especially when you take into account that sports games with real people, real venues and so forth presumably have a whole mess of licensing costs to get through before you can even start on the dev budget.

Illessa on
  • Options
    GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    RABicle wrote: »
    That UFC thing can't be right and wouldn't Mario Kart 7 have sold a few zillion copies by now?
    Those are 2012 sales numbers, weirdly.
    Mario Kart, like most Mario games, sells like mad, and even though it did come out in 2011, it's still that high on the 2012 bestseller list.

• Options
    velrickvelrick Registered User new member
    missed Diablo3, that's sold over 6 million copies, and that was just the first week.

• Options
    CrakesCrakes Registered User regular
    Shh, we do not speak its name...

• Options
    Svenne345Svenne345 Treasure Hider Registered User regular
    Boon Operator joke is priceless.

Also, THQ messed up big time. Another EA shark tank extravaganza.

Svenne345.jpg
  • Options
    Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    I can't wait for BBB: Thunderdome: The game.

Saints Row 3 was enough to make me hold a candlelight vigil for Saints Row 4.

The problem with your equation isn't so much that the math is wrong, but you're sing the wrong figures. 60 dollars is the final cost, which doesn't factor in end markup, distribution, expensive cigars lit with hundred dollar bills, and THQ's death ray largely crafted with funds diverted from UDraw. Microsoft and Sony also take a cut, and since this is a title aimed at bros, I doubt many sales were predicted for the PC crowd. If it was released on PC.

But at the same time, as it was aimed at bros, it probably doesn't matter if you or your friends have heard of it.

Still, betting on your next title having near Arkham City-level sales when your last one didn't have a tenth of that is pretty bad.

• Options
    UriainUriain Frantically reloading Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am totally down for the UFFFC game, that sounds awesome.

Split Infinity Radio - Get loud, Get Mental
    Saturdays 5pm EST - HEADSHOT - Getting your First, Third, and everything inbetween shooter news, reviews and gameplay tips
  • Options
    Xyz_39808Xyz_39808 Registered User regular
    I need a GIF of Graham's last 2 seconds of screentime. Pronto!

• Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Xyz_39808 wrote: »
    I need a GIF of Graham's last 2 seconds of screentime. Pronto!

Graham's juggling-boob-hands? No, no... nothing good will come of that.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular

Given how lately everything they've been "betting the farm" on so to speak has had dismal sales numbers, I'm not sure if THQ will get to Saints Row 4.
    Saints Row 3 was enough to make me hold a candlelight vigil for Saints Row 4.

I actually prefer SR3 myself. It stopped being a GTA knock off.

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    lordlundar wrote: »
    I actually prefer SR3 myself. It stopped being a GTA knock off.

SR3 is the first SR I've played, and I love it to death. It's like what GTA would be if they had followed the "hilarious and fun" branch of the tree, instead of the "expansive and tedious" side.

It doesn't have a mechanic to simulate juggling personal relationships amongst half a dozen needy associates, but it does have a mechanic to do a handstand on top of a box truck driving down the street, like Teen Wolf.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    velrick wrote: »
    missed Diablo3, that's sold over 6 million copies, and that was just the first week.
    Console games only.

• Options
    Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    Kathleen's screech shouldn't be that cute.

• Options
    Formica ArchonisFormica Archonis Registered User regular
    I'd like to thank you guys for fixing my trivial filename complaint so promptly!

• Options
    Trisha LynnTrisha Lynn Registered User regular
    Based on the clip from the game alone and if I had $1,000, I'd give it all to the person or persons who are the first to come up with an uncensored, all-naked fighting mod to UFC 3. Because that would be hilarious and wince-inducing.

-- Editor/Publisher, GeekingOutAbout.com
    -- Publisher, Saucy Goose Press
    -- On Twitter @trishalynn
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Protip Checkpoint people: Brock Lesnar lost his championship in 2010 when he was uppercutted into a break dance routine.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Visual.PollutionVisual.Pollution Registered User regular
    Hmm I didn't even know there was a third UFC released. I wonder if that was poor advertising on their part or a way to save money in hopes of hitting at least dead even on their returns. I think I remember playing the first Undisputed and then went back to Street Fighter for the Genesis. If there's gonna be man on man groping in a fight, might as well be able to have man on monster love on the battlefield. Or monster on sumo wrestler, whichever you're more comfortable with.