As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Nah, I'm always up for discussion, especially when it pertains to characters I use so keep it up. I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact I feel you're the better player so it could be argued your opinion has more weight to it.

I think I misunderstood your original point though. I think there is merit to what you're saying regarding him not being as scary as most people think, especially since you dealt with him without much trouble. It just felt you were discrediting people who use him when there are much more BS characters that could be used in his place.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    considering half the time my MVP is doctor strange I wouldn't really be in any place to be telling anyone to be using "better" characters.

I just thought it would be worthwhile to note the reasons why I don't really give a shit about strider when I see him/his weaknesses/why in your case doom would be infinitely more threatening in the anchor spot

I'm also particularly well equipped to deal with his method of attacking with all 3 characters I have so thats probably also part of it

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I honestly think he is a pretty good character, but you really have to be on point and really think about what you're doing or else you lose him quickly. Watching Clockwork use him is really something to see.

I'm just not there yet. Not even close. Actually, I feel like Clockwork is the only player I've seen who uses him really well outside of XF3 stuff. I guess there is also that one Japanese player too who uses him on point which is pretty awesome.

Sadly, certain characters involve so much work that even though they may actually be the best shit in the game ever, we probably will never see them rise to what they really should be save for the few times they're being used by specific, dedicated players, i.e. Clockwork's Strider/Marlin's Viper.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I really would've liked to have seen what Capcom was talking about with Jill before they nerfed her. Windzero has a solid Jill, but I would have liked to have seen him use this mythical broken Jill that had to be stopped.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    So this stupid showed up today on SRK.com:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1gtPJJ8ZE

I really regret telling my sparring partner to stick with his Deadpool/Trish team now after showing him this. I am a glutton for punishment. :(

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i just now got to watch the fanatiq/rayray money match

not as hype as i was expecting tbqh

• Options
    Luncheon LoafLuncheon Loaf Registered User regular
    GGs degami. Yeah, I changed my xbl to halophilicNC. Halophilic organisms are ones that require salty environments to survive. :P

I've had much better connections since I got a new Ethernet cable and have routed it with fewer bends. I need some offline games though. It's frustrating to get mix'd up by raw teleports/berserker slashes when you fucking know they're coming and think you're blocking the right way. I need to find out if I really can block or if I'm just using online as an excuse. :P

I'm at 60% ratio and flirting with 4th lord. I really want to get to 4th so maybe I can get a match against maximillian_dood. :P Trying to analyze my matches more, see where my weaknesses are and work on em. I've lost a few that I could have closed out by OTG purification into Chaotic Flame or just wait half a second and Dark Dimension but I get too excited and fuck up the inputs or DD too early and it whiffs :P Need to calm down at the end of a match a bit. I really like this team and although Ghost Rider can be a liability I think he has some great redeemable qualities if you don't just throw Jump+S out like crazy. In fact just raw Super Jumping and not hitting S has been paying off by baiting people into punishing.

xbl: halophilicNC
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I really would've liked to have seen what Capcom was talking about with Jill before they nerfed her. Windzero has a solid Jill, but I would have liked to have seen him use this mythical broken Jill that had to be stopped.

Maybe now that Seth Killian is out of Capcom, he can show us. I think it was him who mentioned what was broken about her.

GGs degami. Yeah, I changed my xbl to halophilicNC. Halophilic organisms are ones that require salty environments to survive.

That's pretty funny, but among the XBL community, most people are just going to assume you love Halo :P

I've lost a few that I could have closed out by OTG purification into Chaotic Flame or just wait half a second and Dark Dimension but I get too excited and fuck up the inputs or DD too early and it whiffs :P Need to calm down at the end of a match a bit. I really like this team and although Ghost Rider can be a liability I think he has some great redeemable qualities if you don't just throw Jump+S out like crazy. In fact just raw Super Jumping and not hitting S has been paying off by baiting people into punishing.

Haha, this is the WORST. There have been a few matches where I'm almost perfecting the guy, then I catch him in what should be a game-winning combo, blow x-factor, dark dimension and WHIFF. Then Dormammu is sacrificed and I look like a fool.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    That's pretty funny, but among the XBL community, most people are just going to assume you love Halo

Yeah, I changed it because I intend to get into more into the offline tournament scene and didn't want to put Luncheon Loaf as my handle. (or have to explain where it came from because it's completely inane)

Luncheon Loaf on
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    GGs degami. Yeah, I changed my xbl to halophilicNC. Halophilic organisms are ones that require salty environments to survive.

That's pretty funny, but among the XBL community, most people are just going to assume you love Halo :P

That's what I thought it was about :oops:

XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    Well, I don't *hate* Halo, but it's pronounced like 'ha-lə-ˌfī(-ə)l' or like the HAL in HAL 9000. :)

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    EVO brackets are up on SRK. Currently looking at PA folks first round Marvel pools. Highest seeded player in my pool is ranked 48th, an Australian who played Haggar on point in Vanilla, but I haven't seen in more recent stuff on youtube.

Kinderparty is the top seeded player in his pool at rank 40.

Wicked Decision plays two hours later than KP and I (we play at 8am, Wicked Decision at 10am) with the highest seeded player there being NGG Stone, a Zero / Wesker / Dorm player.

Not sure who else is attending from here.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Good luck to all our PA folks going to EVO! Have a blast and kick some arse!

(Soooooo jealous)

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Dorm on anchor? Doesn't he get a lot out of Wesker's tippy top tier assist?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    No known killers (to my knowledge) in my EVO pool, which makes me scared. I don't like going into the unknown.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Dorm on anchor? Doesn't he get a lot out of Wesker's tippy top tier assist?

I think it depends. I mean on paper sure Wesker's assist gives Dorm some more tools to work with, but Wesker anchor's kinda been falling off in face of the earth (except online) and has some match-up problems with anyone that can just fly away from his shit - especially now we're seeing a rise of top players head into territory that Wesker has trouble with when he has no assists backing him up; the dreaded zoning teams that fill screens with hitboxes and shit. Anchor Wesker can work and is strong but it's getting countered higher up the food chain you go.

That there's a team that probably picked Wesker because "why the fuck not" and in my opinion would've done better if it picked Strider or Magneto.

Also disagree with calling Wesker's OTG gun assist a top tier assist. It's good for combo extensions on some characters but it's no Vajra/Hidden Missiles/Disruptor. Probably rank Wire Grapple above it because of how unique it is in offering combo extensions and opportunities.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, his assist really isn't that great. It's pretty much the same as Deadpool's katanarama assist. On top of that, if you're running Wesker anchor and your point character dies, your second character doesn't have a real assist to back him up and get in there.

Dorm/Wesker allows for easy relaunch combos for Dorm, but Wesker/Dorm also allows for easier relaunch combos for Wesker if he uses dark hole assist. It's just that he may get a little more use out of dark hole outside of combos than Wesker's gunshot would.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    I really need to play more, as the last ME3 dlc sort of monopolized my time and having not touched Marvel in a couple weeks I fear I may have lost what little skill I'd managed to acquire.

And mxmarks mentioned something that rings true for me also. The couple PA'ers I've played where incredibly cool and taught me a lot. (Seriously, inlemur and templewulf are both gentlemen and scholars ) but I hate the idea of inviting any of you folks when I see you online as I can't imagine it being any fun playing someone not on your level.

Well then, good news, everyone! I'm so out of practice that I'm practically free now! Maybe you, me and mxmarks need to set up a training camp lobby some time.

I'm probably going to finish up Dark Souls and ME2 before I start my ME3 run, so invite me whenever.

@Snake Gandhi , @mxmarks , @TOGsolid , I think we need to marvel it up tonight.

Anyone else up for an intermediate schooling lobby?
    I'd love to but sadly I'm at work. I work pretty much all weekend, but I'm free every night during the week.

It'd be awesome if we could get enough people to do a Marvel night every week, then there'd be at least one night where you know you'd ge some good matches.

Good games! You were starting to catch on to my shenanigans toward the end, but there were still two big things you were missing.

1.) Every time I got knocked down I would roll forward to try to cross you up and mash cr.L. If you think your opponent is going to try that, back dash and throw out a meaty to eat their wakeup normals.

2.) You got a lot of solid knockdowns with Doom but didn't capitalize with the OTG. I'm (obviously) not a Doom expert, but you can get some crazy damage off of a random foot dive. Once you start converting those, your damage output will go through the roof.

Also, this kind of thing would be easier if you were on mic.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the only thing I regret about this Turtle Beach headset I have is that the mic is so sensitive it's practically unusable.

Good times though. I'm happy I managed to steal that one win. Watching the different characters you where using was cool too. She Hulk looked kind of awesome I have to say.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    So, how about these TAC infinites?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92O1x2jdJws

For those not in the know, it was discovered with Trish not long ago and has since been discovered with others (Magneto, MODOK, Dante, etc). Basically the key is to TAC into a character who can do a jump loop that involves them landing on the ground during the "lag" (hitstop) that occurs from hitting the opponent on your last airborne attack and immediately jumping again. This seems to glitch the game into thinking you never actually touched the ground at all, and as TACs freeze hitstun deterioration, you get infinites due to this.

In fact, it can potentially be done with a great deal of the cast...though how practical it is will vary. Magneto's is in particular insanely good because he can do it from any TAC direction, seemingly from anywhere on the screen. It's also going to be allowed during EVO, though with the short time between now and then I wouldn't expect too much of it there outside of Mags perhaps (based on what I've seen of it so far anyway).

• Options
    The first thing that strikes me as odd about this TAC glitch is that all the videos have it being done in the right corner - can it be done anywhere on the screen? I don't know - we know there's some jankey properties already involving the corners and some characters (Taskmaster springs to mind).

Second thought is that even though this is pretty damn baller and broken, it's not as bad as the DHC glitch, and it's not always practical. I dunno the conversion rate for real time vs "Marvel time" in a match, but the video of the Magneto one it takes him about 25 "real" seconds to build up 1mil damage. It builds a metric buttload of meter, granted, but it's also building a metric buttload for your opponent - look at the Magneto video again where both Magneto and Cap start with 1 meter. Waaaaay before the end of the combo Mags maxes out on meter (got a headstart due to a down TAC in the video) but before he can hit ~1mil damage and technically KO Cap, he's built up Cap a full stock of 5 meters through being hit so damn much. That is such a bad idea for so many situations. I wouldn't argue it's entirely worth it to touch of death a character using this infinite if you're just going to give them such a huge opportunity to make a comeback by swamping them with meter.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    HEY EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO TRY FIGHT STICKS:

http://www.buy.com/prod/wwe-all-stars-brawl-stick-xbox-360/220021552.html

WWE Brawl Stick - $29.99 w/ free shipping.

DO IT.

When I started getting into fighting games more seriously, I agonized over what fight stick to get. The community, for the most part, is very very adamant about only using the best. And when you're competing on regular basis' that is true. But for the level just above "button masher", but below "I'm going to win Evo!" - these sticks ROCK. I bought the SF4 regular edition one, and from what I understand, this is the same stick. The SF4 regular edition one has served me well for just over a year, and now the buttons are finally pretty dead. What I did was rotate them, like tires, after about 6 months, and I could more than likely get away with doing that once more to get another 6 months out of it. But I play enough I was just going to buy a set of new buttons - for like $24ish.

This solves that, and gives me another case (a black one instead of white), and some more inside guts I could use. Again - this ISN'T the highest quality, the buttons WILL die after awhile, but I have put TONS of hours into this game, with this stick, and am still very happy. I got the SF4 stick for $50, and this one for $30, and for that price I may have found one decent stick for $80 - but it's doubtful.

Now, I have 2 very easily modable sticks. I highly encourage anyone who wants to get in on sticks to take advantage of this. Highly.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Do they have the same deal for PS3?

I would love another standard edition i can mod because my HRAP3 is just too damn big.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Unfortunately they don't even show the PS3 stick available. Buy.com is weird though - they seem to just get stuff in randomly, so maybe keep an eye out. They hadn't had this XBox stick in stock for awhile and suddenly this was in the e-mail today.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    (can't wait to see the inevitable nerdrage when these get removed)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1S5re71It4

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So basically more characters can do what Doom can do?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Yeah, both that and the Doom TAC shenanigans are suitably difficult (fuck MarlinPie drops them occasionally) and have a hard counter (countering the TAC). I doubt they get removed.

• Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So...it's the DHC glitch all over again, just harder to do.

Meh.

• Options
    Nah, it's not nearly as bad as the DHC glitch. They seem pretty tough to do, but where I worry is whether or not we will see a huge influx of Phoenix players again because you can build yourself to 5 bars with one combo.

On the flip side, you build a ton of meter for your opponent as well, so if they have Phoenix too then it would be a bad deal.

I fully expect this to be patched out though, but it will be an interesting EVO if players actually get these down. It seems like Capcom pays attention when widespread infinites pop up.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Nah, it's not nearly as bad as the DHC glitch. They seem pretty tough to do, but where I worry is whether or not we will see a huge influx of Phoenix players again because you can build yourself to 5 bars with one combo.

On the flip side, you build a ton of meter for your opponent as well, so if they have Phoenix too then it would be a bad deal.

I fully expect this to be patched out though, but it will be an interesting EVO if players actually get these down. It seems like Capcom pays attention when widespread infinites pop up.

Yeah, that seems to be true.

templewulf on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Not sure what you're implying. Is that sarcasm? Didn't the SFxT infinites get patched out?

So last night I had a guy rage-quit on me in a player match. It started with the first match, where his point Nemesis killed my first two characters VERY fast (working on a perfect) and then I had a full comeback with Strider. It wasn't just ourobouros BS either, so I was pretty happy. Then I went on a win-streak, he switched to a Wesker/Vergil team, and he was down to Vergil while I had Doom. I was sitting full-screen, just sitting there, waiting for the cross-up teleport which of course he did and I punished. He d/c'd right as I started my Doom combo.

Feels good.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Fuck. I cannot do Hyper-Grav loops to save my life. This sucks. How am I supposed to play Magneto without being able to do Hyper Grav loops? :(

Anyone able to pull them off got any pointers? I tried the tutorial video on SRK and even following the notation and advice I'm still sat here on day two going "Hunh?" Either I can't do ADDF H fast enough (so Magneto goes into the start-up animation for it, but the attack itself never comes out because he lands too soon) or I'm hitting the standing H part too early and he just stands there looking dumb in his dumb helmet and dumb cape and arrrrrrgh.

The worst times are those times when the ADDF H and stH connect, and they look like they're juggled high enough... Only Hyper Grav takes a zillion years to leave his hands and by that time hey they're on the floor and teching. Stupendous. Fucking Hyper-Grav loops!

Advice, please. :(

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Not sure what you're implying. Is that sarcasm? Didn't the SFxT infinites get patched out?

Just pessimism-ing at Capcom. I kind of hated SFxT, but I like UMVC3 and think it's pretty well balanced given the size of the cast.

I really don't think this is game-breaking (aside from the meter gain re: Dark Phoenix) so I'm not worried either way.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah. I will say the biggest things I see about this are.

A. Insane meter gain.

B. Running the clock.

Otherwise I mean...heck people were killing characters in one hit already. At least you have a 33.3% chance to escape that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Fuck. I cannot do Hyper-Grav loops to save my life. This sucks. How am I supposed to play Magneto without being able to do Hyper Grav loops? :(

Anyone able to pull them off got any pointers? I tried the tutorial video on SRK and even following the notation and advice I'm still sat here on day two going "Hunh?" Either I can't do ADDF H fast enough (so Magneto goes into the start-up animation for it, but the attack itself never comes out because he lands too soon) or I'm hitting the standing H part too early and he just stands there looking dumb in his dumb helmet and dumb cape and arrrrrrgh.

The worst times are those times when the ADDF H and stH connect, and they look like they're juggled high enough... Only Hyper Grav takes a zillion years to leave his hands and by that time hey they're on the floor and teching. Stupendous. Fucking Hyper-Grav loops!

I spent about 30 minutes trying his loops so I feel fully qualified to answer this question.

You listed the two problems I was having as well. I found that I needed to jump just a little higher than I thought before dashing down-forward, and I had to cancel the s.H into hyper-grav extremely fast for it to connect. When doing your down-forward dash, try to "roll" your index and middle fingers on L+M to your ring finger on H so it comes out quicker. That's assuming you're using stick though, if you're not then I don't know what to tell you.

The timing is not easy. Good luck.

Adding to the discussion on the TAC infinites, if they become practical enough to be a staple of the game (i.e. roll-cancelling in CvS) then the only outcome I see is everyone will have Phoenix on their team. That's the only way I can see to try and prevent your opponent from abusing the infinites since you gain so much meter yourself.

Interestingly enough, even Justin Wong feels they should be banned because they are "boring and take away" from the game (Japanese player Chou's words, but he agreed).

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Just to be clear, this is not the same thing MarlinPie was doing with his Doom swag combos. In that instance he was simply using Doom's ability to stay airborne for a ridiculous amount of time to keep the TAC going long enough that he could kill from it by the time he landed, whereas here you get true infinites while landing on the ground but fooling the game into thinking that you never did.

As for the difficulty involved, it varies on the character you're talking about (and perhaps even who said character is hitting to boot). Of those who can do this, some do require it to be in the corner and may even require certain directions on the TAC to get their infinite going, but others (usually those with airdashes) can do it from basically any direction TAC and it's not set in stone that it even has to be started already in the corner (Magneto).

As for its implications competitively: there are plenty of characters who are quite different in capability when they have meter vs when they don't. Besides more specific stuff like Doom/Ammy THC shenanigans or using Trish's Round Harvest for Viper unblockables, standalone characters like Morrigan, Vergil, Dorm, Hawkeye, Storm, etc are very happy to see a way to fill up on meter instantly. Special mention here going to Phoenix, of course.

Finally, while it does give your opponent a lot of meter, they have to survive long enough for that to mean anything. Incoming character mixups take on new meaning when your opponent can always burn meter during them, and this may be the kind of push needed to see more people try Viper/Firebrand (or maybe even X23) unblockable teams. But it's still going to take time to see how everything shakes out in regards to this tech.

• Options
    Dunxco wrote: »

I spent about 30 minutes trying his loops so I feel fully qualified to answer this question.

You listed the two problems I was having as well. I found that I needed to jump just a little higher than I thought before dashing down-forward, and I had to cancel the s.H into hyper-grav extremely fast for it to connect. When doing your down-forward dash, try to "roll" your index and middle fingers on L+M to your ring finger on H so it comes out quicker. That's assuming you're using stick though, if you're not then I don't know what to tell you.

The timing is not easy. Good luck.

Adding to the discussion on the TAC infinites, if they become practical enough to be a staple of the game (i.e. roll-cancelling in CvS) then the only outcome I see is everyone will have Phoenix on their team. That's the only way I can see to try and prevent your opponent from abusing the infinites since you gain so much meter yourself.

Interestingly enough, even Justin Wong feels they should be banned because they are "boring and take away" from the game (Japanese player Chou's words, but he agreed).

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels burnt by Hyper Grav loops. That and the ROM loop, those are what I feel my achilles' heels with Magneto play - I'm trying to throw a team together of Wesker (gunshot)/Magneto (Disruptor)/Super-Skrull (Orbital Grudge) and got some neat Orbital Grudge synergy with Wesker so he can get a Phantom Dance going in the middle of the screen for a huge damage boost, and of course Disruptor is a great assist. Having said that, since I can only reliably pull off Magneto's 5x jH airdash combo and Magnetic Blast loops, I feel a bit fraudulent without learning the ROM or Hyper Grav loops. I'm going to pour some more work into it but for now Hyper Grav loops are sitting firmly in the "X-Factor combo" category.

Heh, Fraudneto.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah...I was actually thinking about that.

Storm is pretty scary with meter and she is popular in 2nd seat. So this little glitch could be big for characters like her.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    So I was theory fighting at work today (which I do a lot), and I was thinking that I have a serious problem with starting Dormammu against certain rushdown characters (Nova, Zero, Wolverine, She-Hulk, Hulk etc.). His walk speed is so slow that he's pretty susceptible to the inital mix-up.

I was thinking that in these cases, maybe it would actually be better to start Strider because I think he would be able to escape the early mix-up much easier due to his speed, and then I can try a zoning game using his formations + Doom missiles and mix it up with some teleport shenanigans. So I would still select my characters as Dormammu/Doom/Strider but hold the A2 button to start the match Strider/Doom/Dormammu if I see those characters on the VS screen.

Then once I have a handle on things (or Strider takes some damage) I can switch him out with Dormammu so I have my original team composition. I think that if I finish a combo with Legion, he recovers fast enough for me to raw tag Dormammu safely.

Excited to try this!

House of Paincakes on