Options

The Vertigo Thread

sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeeesome more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
edited June 2012 in Graphic Violence
I've been reading a ton of Vertigo stuff lately, not because it's super-amazing (although some of it is ofc) but because the library apparently has infy Vertigo trades. Anyway, Vertigo is basically DC Comic's adult line; think MAX from Marvel or Epic from Marvel (or did Marvel buy out Epic?), but I think Vertigo has actually been around longer than either of those. Vertigo isn't (always) totally cut off from the DC Universe too, which makes for interesting occasional crossovers.

Some of these comics suck; but the majority are pretty high quality. The imprint (I guess that's what it is called) started off by stealing some existing DC Comics that were generally not typical superhero comics - Swamp Thing, Animal Man (I must be the only person who thought this book sucked), Doom Patrol, Sandman, and Shade, the Changing Man.

Current Titles:
Hellblazer
Fables
Scalped
The Unwritten
Sweet Tooth
American Vampire
iZombie
Fairest
Saucer Country
The New Deadwardians
Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child

Much of Vertigo's characters and settings overlap, but they don't always seem to necessarily overlap. Hellblazer, Sandman (and the Dreaming and Cain/Abel) and the Swamp Thing are pretty much in the same earth (and it appears to MOSTLY be the DC earth), but this isn't always true. Vertigo's stories tend towards fantasy-horror stuff, but sometimes it's just plain ol' adventure (The Books of Magic is basically a sweet Harry Potter book 10 years before Potter came out), or political commentary (AND HUMOR!) like Transmetropolitan, or just a cashing in on the current hotness (a.e. American Vampire, which I like alright).

I've been reading The Unwritten, and it's pretty interesting, although I hate the Whale nonsense; I mean, I get it, but it took about twice as long as necessary to explain.

Much of Vertigo's universe and tone are shaped by Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, and Grant Morrison, so you know it can't be that bad! I personally highly dislike the "meta-fiction" titles (wikipedia's word for it) of Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Shade, the Changing Man, The Invisibles, but a lot of people adore them, so while I'd totally make a bitching post about how they suck, they don't REALLY suck.

So... anyone else reading some Vertigo?

Walkerdog on MTGO
TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
sportzboytjw on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Fables is still as good as it's been, but since it's usually a trade wait book by people it's hard to talk about it.

Fairest has done a good job being the companion book, and is doing a nice retcon to the Ice Queen, but in usual Phil Jiminez style he was only able to go three issues (with lots of inkers) before needing some fill-in help on the 4th issue. He's going to need to do more if he wants to be as synonymous with the brand as Mark Buckingham is.

Unwritten and American Vampire I trade wait on now, and for whatever reason my need to go digital doesn't apply to Vertigo, I like reading them still in trade form on the old non-glossy paper stock.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Oh yea I totally tradewait everything Vertigo. Luckily, their business model understands this and thrives on it!

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Sandman Mystery Theatre is the Vertigo book I'll probably always remember the most fondly. It had some amazing themes, not the least of which was a subtle exploration of a world just waking up to super-humans among them.

That book took Wesley Dodds from being kind of an "oh yeah, him" member of the JSA to one of my favorites.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm going to try the first Sweet Tooth volume. Since the series is ending soon I'm more adept to try it out. Might give iZombie a shot as well.

Right now I read Scalped, Fables, American Vampire, and The Unwritten.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    incredible

in other news, that Sandman Mystery Theater thing... Are the stories as dark and fucked as the first one? With the mother and son and father and daughter torture murder incest thing?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    incredible

in other news, that Sandman Mystery Theater thing... Are the stories as dark and fucked as the first one? With the mother and son and father and daughter torture murder incest thing?

Ah sorry, I was actually talking about the same series you mention there. Only one so far, to my knowledge.

And yeah, there's a lot of twisted in that book.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    incredible

There's a lot of messed up stuff... although the whole incest thing isn't like all over the place. IIRC that's a one-of (that I could have done without, but whatever I guess).

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2012
    I've been reading Vertigo for quite some time now. Some of the classic stuff that I love from the imprint inclcudes Fables, Lucifer and Preacher.

I'm sure most people have heard of Fables. It's been running for several years now and has had a few spin-off books including Jack of Fables, Cinderella, and Fairest.
    1606_400x600.jpg

Lucifer is pretty much the continuation of the story of Lucifer from the Sandman series. It starts off with him running a piano bar named LUX in LA. It runs for the same amount of issues at Sandman and is written by Mike Carey, who is currently doing Unwritten with Peter Gross who was the dominant artist on the Lucifer series too.
    1636_400x600.jpg

Preacher is the story of a Texas preacher who becomes blessed/cursed with the "voice of God." Meaning, when he tells people to do stuff they have to do it. Literally. Imagine being told to go fuck yourself and you have to perform the literal act. Fun, right? He's joined by his girlfriend and an Irish vampire on his quest to hunt down God and make him answer for the fucked up world we live on.
    1645_400x600.jpg

There's lots of other fun stuff from Vertigo like Transmetropolitan, which is some fun future dystopian shit from the perspective of a crazy journalist. Awesome stuff and definitely a must read.
    1719_900x1350.jpg

Grifter on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    The Unwritten, Sweet Tooth, Sandman and the Death minis, Transmetropolitan, Hellblazer, Y: The Last Man, Swamp Thing, The Books of Magic, and Sandman Mystery Theatre are all things from Vertigo that I've read from that I think are pretty dang good

Preacher, I loathed

Fables has gone downhill, I think.

• Options
    Preacher was fun, although I could see how it could be offensive to a lot of people, and in retrospect, it was a little dumb. Still a cool "epic" though. I loved when Jesse went home; quite the story.

I was a huge fan of the continued Books of Magic. I wish it would come back, but I think it takes a pretty special author.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Preacher was a juvenile farce that went on for too long, and Dillon's art never appealed to me.

• Options
    I enjoy Dillon's art. It is not perfect, but it's good, and I like seeing it in places I don't expect (Like if I were to open Superman and see it it would be pretty cool for example).

I would not want his art everywhere all the time though.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    I enjoyed Preacher when I read it the first time around. Yeah, a lot of it was pretty juvenile but it was pretty fun in general, I think.

I feel like Fables has lost the plot a bit since the Empire has fallen and Mister Black has been defeated. I guess the focus on the young wolves is somewhat interesting. I think Fairest has some potential to be pretty neat.

Dillon's art definitely doesn't belong everywhere. I think it fit well in Preacher and it did well when he was on Wolverine Origins too. I still love covers that Glenn Fabry did for Preacher.

• Options
    To expand on my Dillon view; I like when his stuff shows up for 6ish issues, and in Punisher/Wolverine-style titles in general, but I don't think he's an artist I would enjoy illustrating, say, Spider-Man for 60 issues.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed Lucifer. It just seems super hard to find, which is odd considering its quality.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Should be getting Fables vol. 17 from Amazon today. I know many have said the series have gotten bad since volume 15 but I'm still enjoying it. The 8 issue Toyland arc looks amazing, and horribly fucked up in the scans I've read are any indication.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Lucifer. It just seems super hard to find, which is odd considering its quality.

All of the graphic novels are available on Amazon.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I recently picked up this series from the back-issue bins, Bangkok, which was part of the Vertigo Pop line.

Man, that was a weird, depressing book. It stars an assortment of Westerners, including a B-list actor and his socially-conscious girlfriend, a sex tourist, and a British pedophile, as well as a transgendered cage-fighter, two sibling sex-slaves, a ruthless mobster, and some hired muscle.

Oh, and there's an elephant.

I picked it up because it was only a couple bucks, had some striking covers, and Giuseppe Camuncoli was drawing it, but found myself surprisingly engrossed in it.
    On the surface, it's about the American couple, trying to get the sisters back home to their rural village, while dodging mobsters, corrupt police, and the sex tourist, who's in love with one of the sisters, and wants to bring her to America. It could be an action movie plot, really.

But at its core, it's just about these weird, fucked up people, and the way they try to cope with being in a weird, fucked up place. The B-list actor cheated on his girlfriend, but still loves and risks his life for her.

The girlfriend's angry at her boyfriend, but won't break up with him, more content to waste the little money he has, fighting her various well-intentioned, but poorly-planned social crusades.

The sex tourist says he loves the prostitute he visits, and even shows heroism on her behalf, though he goes into rages when it's obvious she only pretends to feel anything for him but disdain.

The prostitute is torn between a life where she's a sexual commodity, but has access to civilization and money, and one where she'll toil all day as a farmer, and still be a second-class citizen.

The pedophile is a pedophile, but he's also the only one who's completely open and honest about his motives. In a place that is utterly insane, he thrives, simply going along for the ride, and playing the system as best he can.

All these characters and more eventually find themselves colliding in a clusterfuck of epic proportions. Some live, some die, and a lucky few just have their entire worldviews shattered.

If you're a fan of crime stories, or just general, reality-based weirdness, try to track it down.

M15sF.jpg

• Options
    hey munch, how's the portrayal of the cage fighter

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Just read Fables vol. 17. Really good although it had an "Oh COME ON" cliffhanger near the end. Hope volume 18 comes out at least by early next year, the arc doesn't end till September. Or October since the issue coming out then is a one-shot but that would mean a 9 issue trade which is a bit large even for Fables.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Punk Rock Jesus was...

...uhh, not at all what I expected, but still very good.

Also, I've been reading Saucer Country and New Deadwardians when I'm at the shop, and I'll probably pick them up in trade or digital at some point down the line.

• Options
    Saucer Country good? I still need to get started on Sweet Tooth and iZombie though. And isn't the second American Vampire trade out?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

Interesting, really. She's basically a superhero, in the story. She's the least morally compromised, physically more powerful than the main "tough guy" character in the book, and goes out of her way to help those she doesn't have to. And she has a secret identity, kind of.

That said, she's also depicted as an oddity, but in a way that feels true to the environment the story takes place in. She fights men while acting in a really outlandish, flamboyant fashion, wears dresses that are a little too small for her large frame, and has bright, bottle-blonde hair.

It's a series I really want to do a whole Rokkin-style rundown of, when I have more time.

Munch on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    There is a lot of good Vertigo stuff, past and present.

This reminds me I need to preorder that invisibles omnibus from work.

And someday down the line get Sweet Tooth and iZombie on a comixology sale.

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

Interesting, really. She's basically a superhero, in the story. She's the least morally compromised, physically more powerful than the main "tough guy" character in the book, and goes out of her way to help those she doesn't have to. And she has a secret identity, kind of.

That said, she's also depicted as an oddity, but in a way that feels true to the environment the story takes place in. She fights men while acting in a really outlandish, flamboyant fashion, wears dresses that are a little too small for her large frame, and has bright, bottle-blonde hair.

It's a series I really want to do a whole Rokkin-style rundown of, when I have more time.

hrmmm

sounds like one of the least bad transwomen i've heard about in fiction, actually sounds pretty good all things considered

• Options
    Oh, and everyone go buy the recent oversized re-issue of My Faith in Frankie.

It's the story of a God, his sole worshiper, her best friend, and the boy that will tear them all apart. It's a great little story, and Sonny Liew's art is really reminiscent of Skottie Young's new, grittier stuff. It's also written by Mike Carey, who did Lucifer, and has a really good hit-to-miss ratio.

Plus, it's four issues of content, for just eight bucks, which is a pretty good deal.

• Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    From what I've read I like the Vertigo stuff. But I've only read from the early books. I read the first 5/6 Sandman books and I absolutely loved them, just got lazy with finishing it.

But more recently I bought a Vertigo "sampler" package of sorts with Animal Man Vol. 1, Doom Patrol Vol. 1, and Saga of Swamp Thing Vol. 1. Out of them, I loved Animal Man right away. Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing took a while to pick up, but both paid off pretty well. I definetly see the potential for crazy stories from DP tho, and I am excited to continue with it and Animal Man. Swamp Thing I'm not too sure of, Alan Moore's writing has always been, i dunno, kinda dense for me. Like I know that it's all filled with hidden meaning or whatever but I'm just too thick to really take anything from it even though I know I should be haha.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Big news, and I'm sure it will be good, but does anyone else feel like this is continuing the trend of the newly restructured DC Entertainment blowing their biggest loads? DC Reboot, More Watchmen, More Sandman ... it's like they're emptying the cartridge here.

• Options
    Lux wrote: »
    Big news, and I'm sure it will be good, but does anyone else feel like this is continuing the trend of the newly restructured DC Entertainment blowing their biggest loads? DC Reboot, More Watchmen, More Sandman ... it's like they're emptying the cartridge here.

pretty much, along with them pushing the Books of Magic into the DCU now with JL Dark. And the rumor that Jim Lee will reboot WildCATS after he finishes his Justice League run, it's a common thing.

I just really don't like prequels.

• Options
    Yeah, I can understand that feeling. I think I might be feeling it myself, like a tickle in the back of my head, but I'm ignoring it for the moment because at least Neil Gaiman's writing it and not somebody else.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not complaining that they're doing this project in particular (JH Williams!) but I wonder if there's someone on a Warner Bros. conference call going, "WHAT ELSE WE GOT????"

• Options
    why do I get the feeling that that "someone" is Bob Harras?

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not complaining that they're doing this project in particular (JH Williams!) but I wonder if there's someone on a Warner Bros. conference call going, "WHAT ELSE WE GOT????"

INVASION 2 (bring back MacFarlane and Bart Sears!)

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Huh, I thought Gaiman had said he considered Sandman finished and would never write more.

• Options
    Punk Rock Jesus, did not like the first issue. Murphy's a really good artist, but the story feels like it could have used some restraint, as it feels a lot like an angry confused teenager wrote it because you don't get me, Dad!. It's just filled with cliches that were laughable even in the late 80's (the black and white seems to reflect this), and it's very mean spirited to Christianity. For instance, BKV was pretty good at being even handed with Y The Last Man in terms of the spiritual and real causes for wiping out man, and never went out of his way to say "this group is wrong, what idiots." Here, in the first issue alone, Christians are treated like dumb naive idiots, they get beaten up with this sense that they deserve it because they're in the protagonists way, and there's a scene with a debate between an atheist and a Bible thumper where the athiest is basically Sean Murphy's opinion and the religious guy is this scrawny shrill who is obviously wrong, and you can't ignore it.

The plot is that some super media conglomerate is going to clone Jesus Christ and televise it, and this ex-IRA now anti-terrorist Punisher Robocop guy is the security detail for the whole thing. And he's got a hipster tech savy black guy as his partner who doesn't take shit from anyone, because he's wears a Batman shirt, you hear? There's a twist at the end, but it's ruined by making the head of this conglomerate so over the top evil and cold hearted I went "yeah, I'm going to go read Little League."

Very little action outside of the first few pages, and as mentioned it's all in B&W which makes some of the rougher sketches hard to follow, but on the whole it's a very pretty book, just a really bad story.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

pretty much, along with them pushing the Books of Magic into the DCU now with JL Dark. And the rumor that Jim Lee will reboot WildCATS after he finishes his Justice League run, it's a common thing.

I just really don't like prequels.

Books of Magic has (more or less) always been DCU, just that weird Vertigo-DCU fringe; Tims hangs out with Constantine a time or two, who has palled around with Swamp Thing, they all know Zatanna, and once in a while Supes/Bats/whatever shows up. I'm okay with Tim going mainstream I guess.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The plot is that some super media conglomerate is going to clone Jesus Christ and televise it

I haven't read this because I know I wouldn't be able to get through the Cloning Jesus stuff without thinking about the Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling sketch on the subject.

"Don't you think, that if you clone Christ, He will in some way want to remonstrate with you as soon as he can?"
    "Well, that's up to him, but he'll be pretty lost without the batteries."

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    I started reading Punk Rock Jesus but was interrupted. The artwork is good but would definitely benefit from some colours. I really enjoyed his work on American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest and Joe the Barbarian.