As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBT]: Bigots can go eat a bag of [Chick-Fil-A]

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I like that even when he's shortening things to fit the character limit, he still makes a point of capitalizing and punctuating Chick-fil-A correctly and calls things by their full brand name and not what consumers would actually say. Doesn't sound like a paid spokesman at all!

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    I'm getting mixed signals here... that one on the lower right in the preview image looks like a drag queen.

They're all drag queens.

To be fair, the heavyset one does look startlingly like Wynnona Judd.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    I really don't care Chick-fil-a's stance on anything, since their food is so damn amazing. Long live a #1 with a lemonade!

Not eating their food you won't.

Nice to know we live in a country where people can get away condemning minorities as long as they make food that will kill you.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I wanna eat at Chick-fil-a once just to see what the big fuckin' deal is. None nearby, though. Not losing sleep over it, either way.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I really don't care Chick-fil-a's stance on anything, since their food is so damn amazing. Long live a #1 with a lemonade!

Nice to know we live in a country where people can get away condemning minorities as long as they make food that will kill you.

You're assuming I'm eating Chick-fil-a for every meal or something. In fact, it's one of the healthiest fast food options out there. Who was condemned? Have you actually read what Cathy said, because it just sounds like you're eating up what CNN is spoon-feeding to you.
    Magus` wrote: »
    I wanna eat at Chick-fil-a once just to see what the big fuckin' deal is. None nearby, though. Not losing sleep over it, either way.

It's super tasty :) Glad I live in VA with ready access to them, though I limit myself to once a month visits.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNq8r4S5jSk

Somebody posted a copycat recipe that's really close, apparently, and isn't soaked in brine. Only CFA near me isn't opening until next year and its in an area full of shuttered restaurants and a partially demolished mall, so even before this I wouldn't have eaten there. But I do plan on trying this recipe out this weekend.

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

You're assuming I'm eating Chick-fil-a for every meal or something. In fact, it's one of the healthiest fast food options out there. Who was condemned? Have you actually read what Cathy said, because it just sounds like you're eating up what CNN is spoon-feeding to you.

It's super tasty :) Glad I live in VA with ready access to them, though I limit myself to once a month visits.

what is your stance on gay. just wondering.

Cyrondin on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Also, the McDonald's Southern Chicken sandwich is the same damn thing.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    yes but what about the breakfast chicken biscuit with honey

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I don't care what he says - he gives money to hate groups.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    just because Cathy gives tons of money to organizations that hate gay people (among other groups, basically anyone who isn't a straight white Christian) and try to restrict their rights (often successfully), that doesn't make him a bad person

oh wait, it totally does, and eating at Chik-Fil-A supports that effort

• Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Even Philly's condemning CFA now.

563931_325037614256546_452340989_n.jpg

Holy crap! Good to see Philly stepping up on this.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    I will weep if Papa Murphys is the next hatestraurent.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Also, the McDonald's Southern Chicken sandwich is the same damn thing.

No it's not. That's like saying a VW Bug is the same as a Porsche 911

Veevee on
  • Options
    I think if we really investigated where the money from all our purchases went we'd find a lot more unsavory surprises

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I think if we really investigated where the money from all our purchases went we'd find a lot more unsavory surprises

Did you know Chex is made by Purina (that's more of an "eww" thing to me for some reason).

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    They probably don't have the same machines making both products.

• Options
    They probably don't have the same machines making both products.

maybe it's the other way around and that's why dogs can't stop eating it

• Options

Did you know Chex is made by Purina (that's more of an "eww" thing to me for some reason).

No more eww than the cheese on my sandwich ultimately coming from the same company as my boss's cigarettes. It's not like they're from the same facility or made from the same ingredients.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Just to make sure, none of these cities/city officials are stating that they will actively block a CFA from their cities, only that they're a bunch of bigots and that they are not welcome, right? Because I was having trouble figuring out why blocking CFA from a city was ok/allowed when blocking a Islamic community center from ground zero was wrong.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    no they're just going to roast them at the next city council friar's club

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

It was originally made by a merger of Purina with a professor who ran a social cult. Nowadays it's made by General Mills.

• Options
    edited July 2012

I'm assumin you eat it at all. More then once a week alone is way too much.

And yes, I have. You clearly haven't because it's pretty damn cut and dried.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    bficky wrote: »
    Just to make sure, none of these cities/city officials are stating that they will actively block a CFA from their cities, only that they're a bunch of bigots and that they are not welcome, right? Because I was having trouble figuring out why blocking CFA from a city was ok/allowed when blocking a Islamic community center from ground zero was wrong.

The Boston letter was more along the lines of banning from coming into the city, or at least making it hard for the business to operate there. The Philly letter was just condeming the CEO and said nothing about the hurting the business which I think is the correct action for a government official acting in an official manner.

• Options
    I am somewhat tickled by the fact that terrible people can still make something that everybody likes. It makes me that much more proud of humanity.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

The Boston letter was more along the lines of banning from coming into the city, or at least making it hard for the business to operate there. The Philly letter was just condeming the CEO and said nothing about the hurting the business which I think is the correct action for a government official acting in an official manner.

As much as I dislike Chik-fil-a's stance, I'm really not comfortable with what these cities are doing.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    Stop shopping at Wal-Mart etc., because if you do you're supporting child slave labor. If everyone cared about the ideological beliefs of every organization they shopped at/supported, you'd be eating pretty much at local co-ops or you'd have to be a farmer and grow your own stuff. My black roommate would never be able to shop ANYWHERE for clothes because of all the times he's been discriminated against for the color of his skin. This whole thing reeks of hypocrisy.

I'm off to get some lunch at Chick-fil-A

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular

As much as I dislike Chik-fil-a's stance, I'm really not comfortable with what these cities are doing.

I'm ok with what the Philly guy said, but the Boston one seemed to get pretty close to saying that he wouldn't allow CFA in Boston, which seems like CFA would be discriminated against based on differences in beliefs.

Semi-on-topic... on what basis can a city deny a business from moving in? Can a city legally block a strip club or adult store from moving in? What about a GLBT bookstore?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Stop shopping at Wal-Mart etc., because if you do you're supporting child slave labor. If everyone cared about the ideological beliefs of every organization they shopped at/supported, you'd be eating pretty much at local co-ops or you'd have to be a farmer and grow your own stuff. My black roommate would never be able to shop ANYWHERE for clothes because of all the times he's been discriminated against for the color of his skin. This whole thing reeks of hypocrisy.

Fallacy of grey, huh? Some people at any organization are racist, so there's no reason not to shop at the Ku Klux Klothing store?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    All of a sudden eating CFA is a fucking badge of honor for bigots.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Ardol wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    So is this old news yet?

599887_10100802402969901_1303604711_n.jpg

While I've had my issues with mayor Menino, this is pretty awesome of him

It's actually not really a good thing, if he actually intends to use his position to keep them out of the city based on their beliefs. For every one northeastern mayor banning CFA, there's a dozen southern ones who will ban pro-gay groups in return.

The letter doesn't say anything about banning them from Boston, just that he hopes they don't locate there and that they don't belong there.

"Mumbles" Menino, as his detractors call him, is a very "moral legislation" politician. Ex: He is one of those infamous mayors that pushed the stupidly pointless large(>16 oz) soft drink bans on his city. "For the public good." (Right now it only applies to city property, but he is looking for a blanket ban along the lines of Cambridge)

It would not surprise me if he actually does use his position to force Chik-Fil-A to stay out of Boston because of the company's beliefs. "We don't tolerate intolerance!"

That reminds me; wasn't there a mayor that banned all use of table salt in the city or something? New York maybe?

How's that been going?

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

I'm ok with what the Philly guy said, but the Boston one seemed to get pretty close to saying that he wouldn't allow CFA in Boston, which seems like CFA would be discriminated against based on differences in beliefs.

Semi-on-topic... on what basis can a city deny a business from moving in? Can a city legally block a strip club or adult store from moving in? What about a GLBT bookstore?

Lots of cities do everything in their power to stop Wal-Marts from moving in.

• Options

The city can block a strip club or adult store from moving in by creating zoning permits that make it virtually impossible to build the business. Restrictions saying the building must be X amount of feet from Y type of property (such as a school, or residential houses, or even "Places a child may be present") can stop the business from being built. They can also restrict what happens inside the business, such as saying the women can't be topless and must have a bikini on at all times as another method to stop the business from being able to operate.

However, I don't think a city has the authority to outright ban a certain business from operating within it's boundaries.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

You do realize that the issue of child labor in the third world isn't that cut and dry right?

This issue on the other hand is cut and dry (and for the record I don't support wal-mart lobbying congress on repealing the death tax, but that's different than hate speech)

override367 on
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Yes to the strip club or adult store. Maybe to the bookstore.

The strip club and adult store are easy, many cities require any business like that to be a set distance away from any residence, school, church, and sometimes other types of buildings. Thing is, like "drug free school zones" those regulations usually turn a populated area into a huge clusterfuck of overlapping zones with very few if any viable locations. My city actually donated six square feet of public land to a church to close one of the few gaps where a strip club could actually operate inside the city.

The GLBT bookstore becomes more about wording of the zoning laws. Even if it doesn't sell pornography, because its merchandise is tailored for clientele based on sexual preference, it could meet broader definitions of adult bookstore and run into the same zoning limitations I just described. And there's all kinds of other ways that zoning laws can be messed with that could stop them from opening. I think I mentioned Frankenmouth last page for some reason - they have architectural style requirements (anything in the business district has to look like a storybook Bavarian village), and they can deny any business a permit just if somebody on the council claims to have reason to believe they won't meet the architectural requirements. There was a time when they used that just to stop people with Irish surnames from opening businesses, and they've used it to stop pretty much every interested party from Wal Mart to Burger King from building too close to Main Street.

Tweaking zoning laws is a pretty popular way to stop a business from opening. Most of the time you can't use them to get one out once it's there, but using them to stop a company from opening at all is pretty common. I mentioned the land transfer to close the church gap so a strip club couldn't open in Saginaw, they also adjusted the definition of adult entertainment twice, broadening it to stop a bikini bar from opening, and then narrowing it to keep a Hooters from closing.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I am not opposed to gay people getting married, because I think everyone deserves to find happiness!

...everyone except people who say I'm a bad person for eating waffle fries. Fuck those guys.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

That they are sticking up for the minorities in their communities?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hey if you're okay with the guy who made those fries using your money to help restrict people's rights, then those are your values.

Pretty telling how many people value eating specific kinds of deep fried potatoes and chicken above equality of civil rights. I'm pretty comfortable with saying fuck you back to those people.

• Options
    When do you stop paying taxes

• Options
    When do you stop paying taxes

This discussion has been closed.