As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Introduceing Bryan King

• NeoKingNeoKing Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    What the hell is going on?

That's a water splash? Why is it coming out of the log instead of from where the guy fell in the water? It looks like a leaf. How come the water reflects the background but not the people who are actually inside of it? How come it's completely opaque?

Where are they right now? Is this a forest? How come the entire background is coloured in green, when there are only four trees visible?

Is he supposed to be inside a pool of jello in that last panel? Or is that him underwater? Either way the perspective is completely wrong.

Also is he transforming something or is that more of your Manet-inspired horrible anatomy going on? Why is his left eye three times larger than his right eye?

Thanks for the feedback Rolo. I saw that you posted a mini rant on my Manet thing in another post. Would you mind if I quoted it on my site? I think my readers would get a kick out of it. BTW Jello. WOW. I think now that I have gotten the technique down I need a Jello golem. In all seriousness thank you for the honest critique.

NeoKing on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just out of curiosity, how long ago was it that you did your degree?

Lly on
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Here's a question: why are you so full of yourself?

Seriously, I'd like to hear an excuse for this. Your art definitely doesn't warrant it.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    your backgrounds are incredibly ambiguous. You seem to spend a lot of your time drawing rippling imaginary muscles, and then about 30 seconds squiggling out the background before slapping some random fuzzy tones over it.

The one with the cart is particularly bad. there's nothing but a bit of pen squiggle to suggest that there's any difference between the grass and sky etc. To me.. your backgrounds should make sense even in balck and white... i don't feel yours do.

it all screams filters to me. the sky "texture" (ie..swishy side to side lines)
    the grass effect (dapply dots)
    just feels a bit lazy.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
    edited July 2007
    Lly wrote: »
    Hmm Lets see. I am going on 6 years as an art teacher so 8. I took a year off to have a fun job rite out of school. I was a video game salesman at Toys R Us. I would be glad to post my Biography if you would like. It would give the serious critics something to work with and the flamers would love it as material. Everyone would be happy.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Fibretip wrote: »
    your backgrounds are incredibly ambiguous. You seem to spend a lot of your time drawing rippling imaginary muscles, and then about 30 seconds squiggling out the background before slapping some random fuzzy tones over it.

The one with the cart is particularly bad. there's nothing but a bit of pen squiggle to suggest that there's any difference between the grass and sky etc. To me.. your backgrounds should make sense even in balck and white... i don't feel yours do.

it all screams filters to me. the sky "texture" (ie..swishy side to side lines)
    the grass effect (dapply dots)
    just feels a bit lazy.

The color is all original watercolors for the texture. I go over it with the brush tool afterwards and I fear that is what gives it the filtered effect. I agree with you 100% though I need to find a better way to color.
    Thank you for your time.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    I was just wondering because the last page has some elements that look reasonably nicely done, if you strip away the colour. It feels like you learnt anatomy, composition and storytelling years ago and then stopped working on it, assuming it would stay with you. You can't learn anatomy and then stop practicing, it takes constant work, and you said yourself it's been a while since you did it. The composition on every frame is weak and does nothing to actually tell the story, or draw the reader's eye through the page. I honestly have no idea what is really going on. And the colouring has been adressed before.

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    you know i don't see any flamers in this thread... everything everybody has said has been a wholy justified criticism of the work.

by the standards set in this form... your work is strictly average.... you need to become aware of that if yiou're going to act this way. Don't come here preaching to people about colour theory and form thinking you'll know better than anyone else... go and look at AoB's work, or wakkawa's work, check out McGibs comic... you work shows little of the talent or creativity of some of the other posters in this forum and people tend to take it badly when you come in being condecending and smug about work that is not that great.

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
    edited July 2007
    Here's a question: why are you so full of yourself?

Seriously, I'd like to hear an excuse for this. Your art definitely doesn't warrant it.

If you honesty want the answer I will be glad too. It will only piss people of though which is ironic because I have no desire at all to do this. I wanted to come here and interact with other artist. I personally thought that was what Artist Alley meant. In any case I do welcome everyones feedback. Ok on to answer the question. I am self assured not full of myself. I have worked on everything from children's books to video games, which I would be happy to link to if it wouldn't be considered site whoring. If you look up the New York Times article A Day in The Sun it talks about my partners and my Fishing Camp game. It has been very good to us and the revenue pays for most of our equipment. I am currently working on My 3rd cover for the Cheese Runner Series from Chris Jackson a resin model for Glina Finklestiens main character in Edge of the Universe, soon to be made into a movie and Im waiting to here back from yet another children's book author that asked me if I was interested in his latest work. Now please take note I had no intentions of mentioning my published works but you asked. I have been working as a professional paid artist since I was 16 most of my friends in the field are way bigger than me so I know I have a long way to go. That being said I am very confident in my pen and ink skills.
    Thank you for asking.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    I was just wondering because the last page has some elements that look reasonably nicely done, if you strip away the colour. It feels like you learnt anatomy, composition and storytelling years ago and then stopped working on it, assuming it would stay with you. You can't learn anatomy and then stop practicing, it takes constant work, and you said yourself it's been a while since you did it. The composition on every frame is weak and does nothing to actually tell the story, or draw the reader's eye through the page. I honestly have no idea what is really going on. And the colouring has been adressed before.

Thank you Lly, This is why I came here. I will practice my anatomy.
    Thank you for your time

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    you know i don't see any flamers in this thread... everything everybody has said has been a wholy justified criticism of the work.

by the standards set in this form... your work is strictly average.... you need to become aware of that if yiou're going to act this way. Don't come here preaching to people about colour theory and form thinking you'll know better than anyone else... go and look at AoB's work, or wakkawa's work, check out McGibs comic... you work shows little of the talent or creativity of some of the other posters in this forum and people tend to take it badly when you come in being condecending and smug about work that is not that great.

Please send me a link to their work.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    NeoKing wrote: »

Thank you Lly, This is why I came here. I will practice my anatomy.
    Thank you for your time

You're welcome. If you drop the high and mighty attitude maybe people will accept you a bit more. Working on your anatomy, great, but also i would say colouring is a huge priority if you really want to colour stuff. B&W is fine you know! But if not go to http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm for probably the best written and most useful colouring tutorial i've found.

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    don't have direct links to their stuff on the forum atm and can't be bothered to trawl the pages for it... but :
    http://mcgibs.deviantart.com/ (specific comic link : http://mcgibs.iseenothing.com/index/locust.html )and http://wakkawa.deviantart.com/ is what we're used to and they're both under 20 and still at school.

I'm not saying "they're better than you, so you can't like you're own work" i'm just saying don't be surprised if everyone doesn't bow down and kiss your feet. There are guys here in their teens working on video games etc... nothing you say can't be said by someone else here... I'm not sure if you thought because it's a web comic forum we'd all be bowled over by it, but there are some stunning artists here.. who don't constantly blow their own trumpet and talk like one of the guys.

It's fine to be confident in your work... that's great, a lot mroe people here should be confident in what they do because it's all fantastic work, it's just your condecending manner and "i'm so much better than you so i don't really have to listen to what you say because really you're wrong....but thankyou for your time" that will rub people wrong here... it's just not that kind of forum.

Fibretip on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    I like the colouring a lot more on that page. Stop drawing those rib muscles! People don't have muscles there!

Tube on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I think what you gotta understand is that your resume here really isn't important, I don't really care what the NYT says. Personally, I actually believe you when you say you aren't trying to make us angry. But I don't think you understand that your ego is suffocating you at the moment.

You came here and questioned a foumers artistic background, as if to invalidate his crit, continued to offer excuses for you mistakes because of the time you've apparently spent doing art, and now your pretty much name dropping. Just. Stop. Just shhh. You want to interact with other artists, then stop acting like a professional refugee in a backwater internet forum. Try to just chill out.

All that being said, your coloring is pretty weak, at the moment. You seem to be paying more attention to a coloring book way of coloring in the lines, rather than actually trying to build form.

Iruka on
    edited July 2007
    don't have direct links to their stuff on the forum atm and can't be bothered to trawl the pages for it... but :
    http://mcgibs.deviantart.com/ (specific comic link : http://mcgibs.iseenothing.com/index/locust.html )and http://wakkawa.deviantart.com/ is what we're used to and they're both under 20 and still at school.

I'm not saying "they're better than you, so you can't like you're own work" i'm just saying don't be surprised if everyone doesn't bow down and kiss your feet. There are guys here in their teens working on video games etc... nothing you say can't be said by someone else here... I'm not sure if you thought because it's a web comic forum we'd all be bowled over by it, but there are some stunning artists here.. who don't constantly blow their own trumpet and talk like one of the guys.

It's fine to be confident in your work... that's great, a lot mroe people here should be confident in what they do because it's all fantastic work, it's just your condecending manner and "i'm so much better than you so i don't really have to listen to what you say because really you're wrong....but thankyou for your time" that will rub people wrong here... it's just not that kind of forum.

I honestly am great full for everyones time. Its one of the lessons Steve taught me no matter what peole say they have offered up their time to you. If you notice I try to thank every post I respond to. I started my post to show my work and mentioned nothing about my Bio. Unfortunately my one line remark on wanting to see what people are capable of rubbed people the wrong way and it all went crazy from their. I am not apologizing for anything I said but I would like people to take my responses the way I intend. The only jib I took at all was saying I would take someones advise in the appropriate consideration... Ok I will apologies for that. In any case I agree with you on age and Talent. One of my students was better at rendering photo realistic pictures than anyone ANYONE I have ever seen. Thats why in the original post I mentioned I like seeing peoples work and not their credentials. A picture is worth a 1000 words.
    Thank you for the links

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Iruka wrote: »
    I think what you gotta understand is that your resume here really isn't important, I don't really care what the NYT says. Personally, I actually believe you when you say you aren't trying to make us angry. But I don't think you understand that your ego is suffocating you at the moment.

You came here and questioned a foumers artistic background, as if to invalidate his crit, continued to offer excuses for you mistakes because of the time you've apparently spent doing art, and now your pretty much name dropping. Just. Stop. Just shhh. You want to interact with other artists, then stop acting like a professional refugee in a backwater internet forum. Try to just chill out.

All that being said, your coloring is pretty weak, at the moment. You seem to be paying more attention to a coloring book way of coloring in the lines, rather than actually trying to build form.

Thank you for your insight. I did "Name drop" when answering questions and that stops right now. I will only answer questions about my works in private from now on. Im am cajun BTW so I like back waters!!! In all honesty I like this forum, a lot and I hold no grudge against anyone. I am a firm believer that a persons true personality shows threw in the end. This is just an adjustment period.
    Thank you again for your insight and I love your Avi.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Thank you for the links. I bookmarked them both. I borrowed a model from one of my mates and will be working on the ribs. Its kinda funny. My wife came in and saw me looking at guys without shirts.... "Its for art" She just walked off.
    Thank you my Friends.

NeoKing on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    For the kind of figures you're drawing, try practising drawing pro bodybuilders. It'll be great for your anatomy because you can see their muscle definition.

Tube on
    edited July 2007

I dig the Locust work. The other link isn't working for me.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Deviant Art is down. Just wait a bit, it'll come back up. http://wakkawa.iseenothing.com/cg/?M=D

thats his other thing.

Iruka on
    edited July 2007
    Deviant Art is down. Just wait a bit, it'll come back up. http://wakkawa.iseenothing.com/cg/?M=D

thats his other thing.

Hmm. Its been said that their are 3 types of artist. Those that draw from bones, muscles, and skin. Skin is the rarest of the three. Wakkawa seems to be very good at it though. I feel that this is my weakest type. Thank you for the link. I am bookmarking it for further studies.

NeoKing on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It would give the serious critics something to work with and the flamers would love it as material. Everyone would be happy.

<3

We are serious critics.

Listen, kid. You have to stop being so condescending, dear. You're not going to improve, ever if you don't listen to the real crits. The only thing the AC is good at is giving brutally honest crits.

Honestly, that art school you went to appears to have done nothing for your actual art. Why don't you just go somewhere else? We're not here to give you ass pats. Like Magic Toaster said, you can't defend your art if you want us to take you seriously. It has to speak for itself. And right now, it's telling me, a 17 year old college student, that whoever drew it needs to learn to draw better anatomy and backgrounds.

And don't give me a THANKYOU FOR YOUR INPUT post because you're not, you're just brushing us off. You came here expecting us to praise you but you weren't prepared for reality. Pull your head out of your ass and look around for a second. You're art isn't that bad, it has character and your inking isn't too shabby. But you need serious work in several fundamental areas, and not only that but your layout and paneling skills are very weak.

It's easy when you have TEH INTERWEBS in your way to ignore what people are saying isn't it? Look, people are trying to HELP you.

Well all it's going to do is to get everyone frustrated, I highly suggest someone just lock the thread. ):

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
    edited July 2007
    It would give the serious critics something to work with and the flamers would love it as material. Everyone would be happy.

<3

We are serious critics.

Listen, kid. You have to stop being so condescending, dear. You're not going to improve, ever if you don't listen to the real crits. The only thing the AC is good at is giving brutally honest crits.

Honestly, that art school you went to appears to have done nothing for your actual art. Why don't you just go somewhere else? We're not here to give you ass pats. Like Magic Toaster said, you can't defend your art if you want us to take you seriously. It has to speak for itself. And right now, it's telling me, a 17 year old college student, that whoever drew it needs to learn to draw better anatomy and backgrounds.

And don't give me a THANKYOU FOR YOUR INPUT post because you're not, you're just brushing us off. You came here expecting us to praise you but you weren't prepared for reality. Pull your head out of your ass and look around for a second. You're art isn't that bad, it has character and your inking isn't too shabby. But you need serious work in several fundamental areas, and not only that but your layout and paneling skills are very weak.

It's easy when you have TEH INTERWEBS in your way to ignore what people are saying isn't it? Look, people are trying to HELP you.

Well all it's going to do is to get everyone frustrated, I highly suggest someone just lock the thread. ):

I have been getting some very helpfully feedback on the forum and I am taking it to heart. I am sorry you feel that I am brushing people off. As far as locking out the tread I believe that I have followed the rules and seeing that I have located a model for practicing anatomy and bookmarked some very good sites. Four good sites actually. I feel I am taking peoples advise into consideration. I won't thank you for your time out of fear it will offend you but I do appreciate the fact you shared your opinion and do respect it.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Oh now, now, dark knight. He's coming around. I agree he should stop thanking us, hes gotta chill. But, in turn, so do we.

Neo, wakka can draw without using line at all. His skill at defining form with light is impeccable. If you want your coloring and rendering to get better, you too should learn how to do this. If you want to be a digital artist, I encourage you to try and figure out how to do every thing with the tools you have. In other words, take a step back and try to render a still life with PS. Its not as easy as it sounds, and you'll stop thinking of photoshop (or whatever your using) as a medium for purely coloring your inks.

Iruka on
    edited July 2007
    Oh now, now, dark knight. He's coming around. I agree he should stop thanking us, hes gotta chill. But, in turn, so do we.

Neo, wakka can draw without using line at all. His skill at defining form with light is impeccable. If you want your coloring and rendering to get better, you too should learn how to do this. If you want to be a digital artist, I encourage you to try and figure out how to do every thing with the tools you have. In other words, take a step back and try to render a still life with PS. Its not as easy as it sounds, and you'll stop thinking of photoshop (or whatever your using) as a medium for purely coloring your inks.
    Thats a very good point. I actually import my hand painted water colors and try to mix them. One of my highly respected teacher tore me apart on my latest coloring. "I couldn't even believe this is your work. You have made every mistake in the book" I will give the apple thing a shot.
    I'm going to stop saying thank you, just know I do appreciate your feedback.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Im going to post some work from when I was closer to 17. Man this stuff is TERRIBLE. I will not defend anything about this work because it fails on an epic level. Anyway enjoy.
    sc1.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    sc3.jpg
    megaman.jpg
    jedigood.jpg

If you ever want to bring the hate turn an old game character naughty. Man I had tons of hatemail for Roll. Notice the fun noodle photoshop. What where we thinking.

NeoKing on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Angelfire has really low bandwidth, it will get spent in a couple of views.

MagicToaster on
    edited July 2007
    Angelfire has really low bandwidth, it will get spent in a couple of views.

Ouch. You are correct. I was wondering why I stopped using them.

NeoKing on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    http://imgred.com/http://www.neo-earth.com/comics/070514.jpg

What is that muscle supposed to be on his chest? Why do his arms seem to be ready to sprout feathers? I understand you want them to look muscular, but do that by looking at ACTUAL MUSCULAR PEOPLE rather than just adding muscles wherever.

For the record, I thought that was supposed to be a woman.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    The only jib I took at all was saying I would take someones advise in the appropriate consideration...
    So basically you're not only telling me you brushed off all the time I spent writing a critique, but you are also showing me you didn't listen to a damn thing I said about composition and focal points by posting the lasted page you did.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited July 2007
    The only jib I took at all was saying I would take someones advise in the appropriate consideration...
    So basically you're not only telling me you brushed off all the time I spent writing a critique, but you are also showing me you didn't listen to a damn thing I said about composition and focal points by posting the lasted page you did.

I already apologized ME, and I meant it.

NeoKing on
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The coloring techniques you used in the pages you've posted so far appear identical to the ones you used in the "TERRIBLE" material from when you were 17. I fail to see any improvement as a result of your time in art school.

You're only taking critiques from people who have training in an artistic background? I have a BFA in comic art from SCAD. Your art needs a ton of work before it could even be considered ready for publication, in ANY medium (even online). Composition, line weight, lighting, form in coloring, storytelling, anatomy, character designs... it's ALL nothing more than mediocre.

You want to thank me for this critique? Go right ahead. I'll thank you for producing this work and claiming it to be professional, because it makes it all the more easy for people like me to break into the industry.

PeterAndCompany on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    While it's true that NeoKing has been relying far more on dropping credentials in this thread than he ought, or than anyone here cares about, some of you guys are being a little too condescending and reading way too much between his lines.

That said, how good of a businessman you are NeoKing frankly has absolutely nothing to do with how good your art is, and I think you know this I'll leave it at that.

On an unrelated note It's nice to see Tube in here and he's actually dishing out some good crits.

I'm no comic artist, so I'm not going to touch the whole storytelling aspect of these comics. Suffice it to say more than a few panels are exhausting to navigate and the action on that new page in particular is almost totally unintelligable.

I will applaud you on the fact that you seem very dedicated to this project and it's clear that you've put much more effort into this than 95% of all the other webcomics we see on this forum. You've set a pretty ambitious goal for yourself to release full page, inked, colored updates. The problem is that your technical skills are having a very hard time meeting what you're demanding of them.

Most of these shortcomings have been addressed in this thread so I'm not going to try to squeeze blood from that rock. I am going to say that your airbrushed looking painting technique has either got to go through some radical evolution or you've got to try something totally new because it looks incredibly amateur and is one of the biggest detractors of aesthetic value from these comics. The anatomy needs a lot more than just "some boning up", but otherwise the inking itself isn't quite as bad as the other problems. You need to start thinking very critically about lighting, because without it everything has this unearthly dirty "glow" to it and the entire scene has the same kind of dull intensity across all of the forms; it almost defies description since it really is nothing like how light actually behaves.

I'm going to link for you one of Bacon's FANTASTIC quick and dirty primers about how you should think about lighting from another thread. Bacon has a very painterly style but the same principles are just as applicable towards art that is inked and colored.

tonkka.jpg

In summary, local shading is EVIL, DON'T DO IT. "Light on top, dark on bottom" on every bump and curve is NOT HOW LIGHT WORKS.

Scosglen on
    edited July 2007
    The coloring techniques you used in the pages you've posted so far appear identical to the ones you used in the "TERRIBLE" material from when you were 17. I fail to see any improvement as a result of your time in art school.

You're only taking critiques from people who have training in an artistic background? I have a BFA in comic art from SCAD. Your art needs a ton of work before it could even be considered ready for publication, in ANY medium (even online). Composition, line weight, lighting, form in coloring, storytelling, anatomy, character designs... it's ALL nothing more than mediocre.

You want to thank me for this critique? Go right ahead. I'll thank you for producing this work and claiming it to be professional, because it makes it all the more easy for people like me to break into the industry.

I welcome anyones advise. SCAD is a great school, I actually visited them last month. I would love to see some of your artwork.

NeoKing on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I feel like a celebrity that's been made an example of!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the feedback Scosglen. I am actually wrestling with what to do with the colors. I have to keep it consistent until page 20 but I may try to co more traditional after that. I appreciate the tutorial as well.

NeoKing on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, I will say mad props for not coming here and posting about your webcomic that you just started that is conventiently about two guys who love gaming.

Because if you did you'd probably be a smouldering pile of ashes by now.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    Dang it Scos, why you gotta try to drag me into this quagmire.

Angel_of_Bacon on
This discussion has been closed.