As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    In real life, people don't get instantly hulked out from pumping steroids into their head.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What we did get was a pretty decent interpretation of venom, imo;
    Bane's mask makes him stronger via numbing his pain. If he doesn't get hurt, then he won't be slowing down at all. When the mask is broken, he loses his edge and Batman easily wins, just like when regular Bane loses his Venom.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    The only important characteristic about Bane is that he can physically beat Batman. That's the one thing the character is famous for.

Another is being able to match or surpass Batman himself with intelligence. You can get Rhino for a physically superior enemy from the rogues and he's just a dumb thug that Bane would order around to get him coffee.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Why does he need some magic potion? Why can't he just be a strong guy? I mean, the end result of the magic potion is that he turns into a strong guy.
    That's kind of a problem with casting Christian Bale as batman- he doesn't look all that buff. Is Bane really the first person he's ever come across that's physically stronger? I would have expected a lot of street thugs to be stronger than him.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    -
    What we did get was a pretty decent interpretation of venom, imo;
    Bane's mask makes him stronger via numbing his pain. If he doesn't get hurt, then he won't be slowing down at all. When the mask is broken, he loses his edge and Batman easily wins, just like when regular Bane loses his Venom.
    minus the cartoonish growing and shrinking that you'd get every time batman yanked his tubes. seriously, for a smart guy he never caught wise to that.

• Options
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Why does he need some magic potion? Why can't he just be a strong guy? I mean, the end result of the magic potion is that he turns into a strong guy.
    That's kind of a problem with casting Christian Bale as batman- he doesn't look all that buff. Is Bane really the first person he's ever come across that's physically stronger? I would have expected a lot of street thugs to be stronger than him.

Ummm... wha? Christian Bale is pretty buff. Michael Keaton was the one who wasn't.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Bale's buff enough to be Batman. In live action the character doesn't have to be a body-builder like in the comics or cartoons. I thought they made Hardy's body realistic for Bane, too.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Isn't Tom Hardy also, like 5'9"? They did a pretty great job making him look big, and he obviously spent quite some Time at the squat rack, but I immediately noticed that they rarely, if ever, seemed to get him statice in a shot with the taller Christian Bale. Actually, their fights were a huge letdown for me in general. But whatevs.

• Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean by normal human standards he's buff, but not by action movie hero standards. And if he's constantly on the street fighting thugs, you'd think this sort of problem would have come up before.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Yeah I mean by normal human standards he's buff, but not by action movie hero standards. And if he's constantly on the street fighting thugs, you'd think this sort of problem would have come up before.

Not really, Bale was fine. Especially when you consider the fact that he was using League of Shadows ninja style for fighting.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I think Hardy is 5'10". He knows how to be physically imposing though. He was similarly large in Bronson, a terrific movie from a few years back.

bronson1.jpg

• Options
    The was one scene where Hardy looked like a giant -
    when he was speaking with Dagget, just before killing him. Dude was towering over him. As intimidating as he looked, all I could really think was "there is totally a crate underneath you."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    A lot of the street thugs probably have been stronger than batman, but they were not trained by the LoS, constantly consuming painkillers(which improves performance, and is used as a form of doping in horse racing) and hard as a coffin-fucking-nail because he spent a large chunk of his life in a fairly nasty prison.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I just skipped like 5 pages because I got tired of reading about which was more realistic, Two-Face's injuries, or Bane's Mask.

I just don't get it...sure the Nolan Batman movies aren't as campy as previous incarnations, but I just don't get the shock when things that aren't realistic pop up...in a comic book movie.

Anyways, anything else I missed these past few pages? :P

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    when he was speaking with Dagget, just before killing him. Dude was towering over him. As intimidating as he looked, all I could really think was "there is totally a crate underneath you."
    That was such a great scene.

I love that his only real action was to put his hand on Dagget's shoulder, much like you might with a dog that is getting a little too excited.

Bane was great.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Isn't Tom Hardy also, like 5'9"? They did a pretty great job making him look big, and he obviously spent quite some Time at the squat rack, but I immediately noticed that they rarely, if ever, seemed to get him statice in a shot with the taller Christian Bale. Actually, their fights were a huge letdown for me in general. But whatevs.

Hollywood is good at this. Tom Cruise entire career relies on him looking taller in movies than he is in real life.

There are a few scenes that have Bane looking massive
    like when he crawls down the rope to appearing before Gordon in the sewers.
    I completely forgot Hardy was shorter than Bale in the movie.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    The biggest Bane looked was in that early scene where the mercs bring him someone they've captured. I really felt like they used some camera perspective tricks there to make him huge.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Wasn't Bane standing on a set of stairs though? Like it was a split-level room with a couple of steps in the middle that Bane was standing on top of?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I really liked it when I saw it, and though I was slightly dissapointed in Bane without his 'roids, it didn't spoil anything and I respect the creative license taken there.

My one question, though, is:
    The movie never really explained why Bruce was crippled in the beginning. Was he severely injured at some point? I'm guessing it was just his body was messed up from his constant physical exertion when he was Batmanning around. Similar to pro athletes, I guess, push your body hard all the time and it'll break. Just founf it a bit odd that they didn't seem to try and address it.

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »
    I really liked it when I saw it, and though I was slightly dissapointed in Bane without his 'roids, it didn't spoil anything and I respect the creative license taken there.

The movie never really explained why Bruce was crippled in the beginning. Was he severely injured at some point? I'm guessing it was just his body was messed up from his constant physical exertion when he was Batmanning around. Similar to pro athletes, I guess, push your body hard all the time and it'll break. Just founf it a bit odd that they didn't seem to try and address it.
    Since Blake mentions that Batman hadn't been seen since the night Dent died, it had to be the fall from that building that did it. If you go rewatch the end of TDK, you can see Batman is running awkwardly - I don't wanna say he's limping, but there's obviously something wrong.

Presumably he kept the injury secret as Bruce Wayne, too. Probably 'stitched himself up' and left it to get worse over the years.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »

Since Blake mentions that Batman hadn't been seen since the night Dent died, it had to be the fall from that building that did it. If you go rewatch the end of TDK, you can see Batman is running awkwardly - I don't wanna say he's limping, but there's obviously something wrong.

Presumably he kept the injury secret as Bruce Wayne, too. Probably 'stitched himself up' and left it to get worse over the years.
    He gets shot and then falls off a building.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Yeah, but he walks that shit off all the time. ;D
    I was just saying - that's the injury that leads to his condition in DKR, as not-so-bad as it may be compared to his other falls.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Don't forget the dozen years of getting the shit beat out of him.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Yeah, but he walks that shit off all the time. ;D
    I was just saying - that's the injury that leads to his condition in DKR, as not-so-bad as it may be compared to his other falls.

In the films that's probably his worst fall.

Either that or the one where he's on fire in BB.

But the fall in TDK was pretty bad, even if you are Batman.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm sure landing on top of a van from 4-5 stories up isn't good for the knees either.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    So in all Bruce Wayne, in Nolan's universe, was Batman for 2-3 years. Plus 7 years roaming the world before that. Plus 8 years being depressed before the start of TDKR. That's not very long, but I guess in a realistic universe it's what you'd expect.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    xraydog wrote: »
    So in all Bruce Wayne, in Nolan's universe, was Batman for 2-3 years. Plus 7 years roaming the world before that. Plus 8 years being depressed before the start of TDKR. That's not very long, but I guess in a realistic universe it's what you'd expect.

He also disappeared for like, 5 years in Batman Begins in the beginning, during which he was training.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    MTX2319lg.jpg

It all makes sense now.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    MTX2319lg.jpg

It all makes sense now.

well.. shit.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    MTX2319lg.jpg

It all makes sense now.

HAH! Nice.

I was kind of struck with the difference when I re-watched TDK, Batman had power-assist everything, could bend gun barrels with his gauntlets and tear through car doors like a saw through leather and rip a gun apart (okay, "disassemble") with his bare hands.

Then all the times he'd just jump down several stories...

It seemed like a major thematic shift between that and TDKR.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I wonder if Bane was a Rick Ross fan. I mean, he sure popped his collar like he was.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I felt Batman as an entity was diminished in this movie. As I was watching, I kept trying to think if it was actually intentional.
    I don't really think so, besides the obvious knee thing.

Bane was a great character, but he doesn't represent the same ideal as he does in the comic books. In the books, Batman (representing the pinnacle of human achievement) comes up against an antagonist that is very much INhuman. The Venom makes him stronger and faster than any man could ever be (which is, of course, the entire point). Bruce, being prideful, throws himself at the challenge anyway and comes away broken.

That theme is lost in the movie. In the movie, it is more that a man who was once Batman and still has the suit goes up against an exceptional man in his prime and gets broken. That's a very very different scenario and I don't find it as thought provoking.

I think Nolan should have fleshed out Bane's mask quite a bit better. People on pain killers aren't going to be winning many boxing matches; that's for damn sure. I feel like Nolan captured imposing, but completely missed on the element of Super Human, which is extremely important to the Bane character. It's really the entire raison d'etre for the character, so it's confusing to me that he just kind of turned into a big dude on pain killers.

A big dude on pain killers isn't going to take down the Batman. That's why I feel Batman necessarily feels utterly diminished in this movie. That wasn't the Batman; that was Bruce Wayne in a suit.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    total bane redux concept, spoilering because i don't know
    instead of the mask, bane gets injections at a regular interval (daily, ever 4 hours, weekly, doesn't matter). now, we don't have a mask blocking his face so we can hear him and batman has a less ridiculous fight against bane because he learns bane's terrible secret and withholds him getting his medication and therefore can defeat him...yeah that's how i'm going to remember this moving playing out

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The comic book conception of Bane isn't really a good fit for the nolan universe though; the comics have lots of supernatural/superhuman touches, while the nolanverse is all stylized realism.

And I mean, even in the comics/TAS they set Bane up as the anti-Batman: they're mostly-equally smart and physically gifted, but Bane has had pretty much as opposite an upbringing/training as possible.
    this was the thing that I wish TDKR had paid off to a greater extent than it did; they play at setting Bane's faux-populism against Bruce Wayne's rich-playboy-vigilantism, but then they just kind of forget about that dichotomy when batman returns to gotham in the third act.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    instead of the mask, bane gets injections at a regular interval (daily, ever 4 hours, weekly, doesn't matter). now, we don't have a mask blocking his face so we can hear him and batman has a less ridiculous fight against bane because he learns bane's terrible secret and withholds him getting his medication and therefore can defeat him...yeah that's how i'm going to remember this moving playing out
    I'm sorry this is terrible.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

Yeah, seriously.

Are we gonna have a scene where Batman holds up a bag of Bane's medication and taunts Bane with them, before throwing them off a ledge or something?

• Options

Yeah, seriously.

Are we gonna have a scene where Batman holds up a bag of Bane's medication and taunts Bane with them, before throwing them off a ledge or something?

And then Bane can scream at Batman, "WHERE'RE THE OTHER DRUGS GOING!?!"

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    If I had to do an ideal casting off the top of my head, I'd probably go with Mark Wahlberg as Bruce Wayne, especially given that he was in the middle of that phase where he trained for something like ten years straight while waiting for The Fighter to get greenlit. I mean look at him:
    ex%20mark%20wahlberg%20fighter_0.jpg

Plus, instead of the gruff batvoice everyone likes joking about, he could just drop into a southie accent.

Meanwhile, for sheer appearance, Jason Momoa seems good for Bane. Alternately, who do they have playing Gregor Clegane?

Lastly, they need to get the guy who played Bane in an XMen movie as Wolverine. Or lock Peter Dinklage in a gym for a couple of months.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Derrick wrote: »
    I felt Batman as an entity was diminished in this movie. As I was watching, I kept trying to think if it was actually intentional.
    I don't really think so, besides the obvious knee thing.

Bane was a great character, but he doesn't represent the same ideal as he does in the comic books. In the books, Batman (representing the pinnacle of human achievement) comes up against an antagonist that is very much INhuman. The Venom makes him stronger and faster than any man could ever be (which is, of course, the entire point). Bruce, being prideful, throws himself at the challenge anyway and comes away broken.

That theme is lost in the movie. In the movie, it is more that a man who was once Batman and still has the suit goes up against an exceptional man in his prime and gets broken. That's a very very different scenario and I don't find it as thought provoking.

I think Nolan should have fleshed out Bane's mask quite a bit better. People on pain killers aren't going to be winning many boxing matches; that's for damn sure. I feel like Nolan captured imposing, but completely missed on the element of Super Human, which is extremely important to the Bane character. It's really the entire raison d'etre for the character, so it's confusing to me that he just kind of turned into a big dude on pain killers.

A big dude on pain killers isn't going to take down the Batman. That's why I feel Batman necessarily feels utterly diminished in this movie. That wasn't the Batman; that was Bruce Wayne in a suit.
    Batman is meant to be diminished in the movie. He's no longer in his physical prime like in The Dark Knight. Had he fought Bane then he wouldn't have been beaten so easily. Might still lose, it'd just take longer.

Bane in the comic book is a different entity to the Bane from DKR. Like Batman himself it's a realistic version or at least a version that is powered down to fit into the modern world. DKR is also not a Knightfall adaption, it's a movie that is inspired by it (as with Dark Knight Returns and No Man's Land) with its own theme that fits into the previous two movies universe. Bane is not meant to be super-human in the Nolan 'verse.

I agree Nolan needed to explain Bane's mask better, it's not a deal breaker though. He's done this before with the sonar emitter, the plot device that super-heated water and batman being able to fly with his electrified cape (though in reality he'd hit the ground not fly across a city like he was on a hang glider).

The comic book conception of Bane isn't really a good fit for the nolan universe though; the comics have lots of supernatural/superhuman touches, while the nolanverse is all stylized realism.

And I mean, even in the comics/TAS they set Bane up as the anti-Batman: they're mostly-equally smart and physically gifted, but Bane has had pretty much as opposite an upbringing/training as possible.
    this was the thing that I wish TDKR had paid off to a greater extent than it did; they play at setting Bane's faux-populism against Bruce Wayne's rich-playboy-vigilantism, but then they just kind of forget about that dichotomy when batman returns to gotham in the third act.

Batman: TAS Bane wasn't that intelligent. He was a thug which was smarter than the average bear that relied to much on his venom to be a significant threat to Batman. Young Justice: TAS Bane is a much better version IMO.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Wahlberg's acting does not seem suited for Batman. At all.

I don't want to think "Say hi to your motha for me!" when I see Bruce Wayne.