As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords movie problems.

Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Well, version 1.8 of the TSLRCM was finally released, so I decided to booth the game up and finally play it again. Now, I have a physical copy, and it worked fine on my old PC, but on this one the movies look really, really shitty, and lag something awful. I waited this long to play the complete version of the game and I'm not about to disable the movies. I also already tried compatibility mode, no dice. Anyone have the same problem?

Gigazombie Cybermage on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I actually, I downloaded it, and the movies still look pretty bad, and still lag. :(

• Options
    Okay, I got the movie laginess to go away, but I have a new problem. The game crashes during Darth Sion's arrival cutscene. I swear, if this game wasn't so good I wouldn't bother.

• Options
    Annnd it stopped crashing, but seems to be lagging during the movies again. The lagging doesn't seem consistent though. The same movies that were lagging before are basically fine now, and others that were fine before are lagging. Ugh, I guess I should just be happy the thing works at all on this system.

• Options
    Well, good news and bad news. I finally got kotor 2 to run acceptably. The only thing wrong with it now is that whenever there is smoke or fog it lags something horrible. The bad news is I can't get kotor 1 to work. Always crashes after chargen. *sigh* If they're selling these games again over steam and whatnot, they need to fucking update this shit for modern PCs.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The only way I found to get Kotor 1 to work on win 7 was to run it in a window, otherwise I had a crash every time it tried to load a movie. (Steam version)

Might be worth a go if you haven't tried that yet. No idea about 2 though, I have not tried that yet, been waiting for the complete just like you did.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I'll try it, but I really prefer full-screening games myself. I actually have the original physical copies of both games.

• Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Both KotOR games run awfully piss poor in Vista & Win 7. There is a well documented, if a hassle, way to clear up many of the issues. Things like install order and other small details are really important, but it's well worth it to get these games to play.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Do I have to replace the .dll file since I have Win7? It says it's only for Vista. I did the whole long thing, and no change, still crashes to desktop after chargen.

• Options
    Yep. Do the same directions for both Win 7 and Vista. Some people prefer to dual-boot OS with XP to bypass this sort of silliness. It's a hassle, but it clears up the biggest compatibility issues. It worked for me twice, so hopefully you don't have any further issues.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, I'll try it again and replace the dll this time.

• Options
    I give up. At least I can play KotOR 2. The original one just isn't gonna work. It's fine until I create my character, then it freezes before the opening scrawl.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, I seem to remember that when my fiance last tried to reinstall KotOR to show it to me, he had some sort of issue where the game just wouldn't work right, even though he was able to get into actual gameplay for several minutes (unlike you). I THINK he was able to make it possible to get out of the first room after a lot of tinkering and googling, but then something didn't work right in the next room, or something. I dunno what kind of voodoo was used to program that game, but it seems like it really REALLY doesn't play nice with modern systems. We decided to give up on it. I guess if you have Win7 Pro you can download XP Mode and maybe it'll run in that (though I'd expect a serious performance hit), but otherwise...

Essee on
  • Options
    It really makes me appreciate console gaming more. I don't have to worry about my PS5 not playing games more than a few years old.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Okay, that was odd. Apparently it works now? I tried one last time to do something simple, I replaced the dll file again. Seems to work. I'll play some more to see how stable it is.

Edit: Seems fine now, though, like its sequel, smoke makes it lag like crazy. Any idea what's up with that? my Radeon 6770 HD should destroy this game.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    It really makes me appreciate console gaming more. I don't have to worry about my PS5 not playing games more than a few years old.
    Well, yeah, because your PS5 won't ever have games that are more than a few years old because console lifetimes are limited :P If you had a computer that old, it would play KOTOR fine.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Okay, that was odd. Apparently it works now? I tried one last time to do something simple, I replaced the dll file again. Seems to work. I'll play some more to see how stable it is.

Edit: Seems fine now, though, like its sequel, smoke makes it lag like crazy. Any idea what's up with that? my Radeon 6770 HD should destroy this game.

Awesome you got it running! As for the smoke/fog, it is another well known issue. Unfortunately there isn't really a 100% fix. I'd suggest turning the anti-aliasing and anisotropy all the way down and see if that helps. A lot of people report that turning those off make the lag bearable and it provides a much better experience otherwise. KotOR is known for not playing nicely with more than a single-core CPU, so there's that as well.

I kind of wish I still had my old xbox disks to play it again, but even on the console it was glitchy and laggy.

There is a documented lag issue with Dantooine, where you just need to make sure your ini shows: " DisableVertexBufferObjects=1". This may help with the smoke lag, too.

Damn, I never realized how invested I am in these games. Still at the top of my list of favorite rpgs from the last decade (has it been more?). I just wish TOR had ended up anywhere close.

EDIT: I didn't realize the restored content for 2 was playable! Do you have a good link for that project? Gah, maybe I'll be installing again myself, as well.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm/downloads/tslrcm-18

Here ya go! I got it from the official site, but this should work just as well. I haven't noticed any majors bugs, I'm sure there's probably a few left. Install it! Playing through it again reminded me how awesome it is. Kreia is one of my favorite characters ever, and even after all this time and knowing most of what she has to say, she's still impressive.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    I loved the second game, except for how it was unfinished. Better inventory/crafting, etc..

My backlog of games is pretty huge right now (damn you Steam summer sale!), but I'll have to dig up my old copy and give this a shot. They've been working on this forever, and I honestly gave up on it many years ago.

Did you try the ini line/settings changes for the fog/smoke?

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, haven't checked it yet though. Doing all that burned me out on it a little. Planning on starting a kotor playthrough today though.

Gigazombie Cybermage on