As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So... about that whole link shell thing?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    Of who I have on my friends list at the moment, there aren't enough regularly on that we've created an LS for.
    We can scare up a LS if people want it though, now that more are playing.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I still have several shells in in my inventory if we want to use one of those.

Like I require Frozen Treats and We are Nice Guys

Yeah, that works. I think I'm still listed on those anyway.
    Being GMT, I wouldn't be the best to start a new LS.

PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Boy, Square is wasting no time wiping the existence of FFXIV from peoples' minds: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488055

I wonder if this is going to be the next ET landfill?

I have a problem with this, though: if you own the original FFXIV, your game automatically updates to Realm Reborn for free, right?

So you know what this means? You're being denied the chance to buy the game now on the cheap. Whereas you could probably snag a $10 copy (I did, digitally), SE will undoubtedly sell a re-branded FFXIV box that is basically the original game with the new update installed (if even that) for twice or three times the amount.

And hey, maybe you want to play the original before it's wiped from the face of the earth. It's rare, but there are a few people here who actually like the game.

Makes me wonder if there will be a small fanbase deranged enough to form an anti-movement on 2.0, claiming that the original was better.

Boy, Square is wasting no time wiping the existence of FFXIV from peoples' minds: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488055

I have a problem with this, though: if you own the original FFXIV, your game automatically updates to Realm Reborn for free, right?

So you know what this means? You're being denied the chance to buy the game now on the cheap. Whereas you could probably snag a $10 copy (I did, digitally), SE will undoubtedly sell a re-branded FFXIV box that is basically the original game with the new update installed (if even that) for twice or three times the amount.

And hey, maybe you want to play the original before it's wiped from the face of the earth. It's rare, but there are a few people here who actually like the game.

Makes me wonder if there will be a small fanbase deranged enough to form an anti-movement on 2.0, claiming that the original was better.

Those people usually form their private servers and play "the old way" to their hearts content. Like Star Wars Galaxies pre-combat upgrade, and certainly pre-NGE.

I don't hold issue with it. We'll get our 2.0 version without paying for it from what I've read and anyone liking the look of 2.0 will pay to buy it, which is to be expected for a new game, and let's be honest, for all intents and purposes, this is a new game. I don't regret buying the collectors edition at launch, that is what it is, and will be forever. I like the things that came with it and I've enjoyed what I've played of it up to this point.
    Very much looking forward to 2.0 though.

People knew what was coming with the changes and if they wanted to take a gamble and pick up a cheap copy they would've. If they held out to see what the new version is going to be like before taking a plunge, then they'll buy the new game at it's right price.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Well...you're basically paying 20$ to avoid downloading the (most likely) massive 2.0 patch. I'm...debating the purchase tbh. I decided I want to play 2.0 FF14 not the current version but well...it could be nice huh? Then again I like the new box art much more than the original case so...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    S-Starwind wrote: »

Those people usually form their private servers and play "the old way" to their hearts content. Like Star Wars Galaxies pre-combat upgrade, and certainly pre-NGE.

I don't hold issue with it. We'll get our 2.0 version without paying for it from what I've read and anyone liking the look of 2.0 will pay to buy it, which is to be expected for a new game, and let's be honest, for all intents and purposes, this is a new game. I don't regret buying the collectors edition at launch, that is what it is, and will be forever. I like the things that came with it and I've enjoyed what I've played of it up to this point.
    Very much looking forward to 2.0 though.

People knew what was coming with the changes and if they wanted to take a gamble and pick up a cheap copy they would've. If they held out to see what the new version is going to be like before taking a plunge, then they'll buy the new game at it's right price.

I've said this a bunch of times, but SE should really put the installer for the 2.0 game in peoples accounts that already have bought the original FFXIV to avoid finding the CD and installing everything all over again. The original CE was neat and I still have the box somewhere. If 2.0 comes out with a standard and CE im going to be smart this time and wait it out to see how it goes. How foolish I was to jump right into the original without doing any proper research. I should have learned my lesson with APB, never doing it again.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited August 2012
    Ok. I want to try and get some quests cleared up this weekend. I'm at work today and get back around 6 pm GMT (bst)
    Anyone going to be around this afternoon/tonight to get some stuff done?

Edit: Ok, that didn't happen. Anyone for tomorrow at all?

S-Starwind on
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    Well, that was certainly a productive day.
    Finished "into the dark" then got my AF legs from AV, then helped the group get their last white mage AF piece, then they assisted me with the last 2 Dragoon quests and my first Paladin quest.
    Didn't expect to that done in the same day.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    So does anyone know if the current cities and quest lines are going to be as they are now once the game relaunches, or is it going to be all different? I can't see them tossing out the stuff that was added after the dev team was replaced. Also I am aprehensive about getting serious with a charicter if I would lose progress.

So does anyone know if the current cities and quest lines are going to be as they are now once the game relaunches, or is it going to be all different? I can't see them tossing out the stuff that was added after the dev team was replaced. Also I am aprehensive about getting serious with a charicter if I would lose progress.

Really not sure what is staying and what isn't, but it'd only take an hour or so to PL you a class to 30+ then you could get a good chunk of quests done.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I feel like they've implied that the current cities, at least in their current form, would no longer exist. I swear I saw some concept art of what looked like ruins of Ul'dah all snow covered. It may have been something else entirely; and I don't know about the rest, but yeah.

They've all but stated the current story questlines would no longer exist after 2.0; and it makes sense, the stories lead up to the events that start 2.0. They wouldn't really make much sense afterward.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I may just reroll once 2.0 comes around.

• RooXRooX Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    anyone able to hook me up with an ls invite? started up again after an eternity off, rerolled, and am currently on day 2. have a few jobs to lvl 10, tonight is aiming for 15.

roox dukath on masamune

RooX on
    Only dead fish swim downstream.
    We don't really have an active linkshell. Bri has an old one that he could give you but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of activity lately from those that play here.
    I'll add you to my friend list though, my character name is in my sig.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited August 2012
    Anyone know if they're going to allow a free server hop with existing characters? I didn't take my character that far anyway so I don't mind starting over, but it would be a nice feature so we could all group together on the same server/linkshell.

Assuming they continue pimping the game out that we actually want to play at launch. Did they say if this was going to be featured in PAX?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    I remember them saying there would be free server transfers for 2.0
    Think most of us are on Masamune anyway so we could stay put to start with and then decide if we want to move before they lock it again.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Mr.V.LightMr.V.Light Registered User regular

As far as I know, most of the game world is being entirely replaced. Limsa Lominsa -might- remain the same, but gridania/the black shroud in general are getting a huge rework, and you can see Uldah burning while being pelted with meteors in one of the A Realm Reborn trailers.

Losing progress though? Nah, characters are being transferred with all their levels/job unlocks/gear/gil etc to 2.0

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=5abd95cb77c6c3a36511f99f700c9127bfe4e624 there's the list of content being removed

Fine details on dates for the end of XIV before 2.0 goes into alpha/beta:
    The grand finale is right around the corner, as the Seventh Umbral Era descends on Eorzea. A final save maintenance for current version character data is scheduled for November 1, 2012, followed by all Worlds coming down on November 11, 2012 at 0:00am (PST) / 8:00am (GMT). Then at 2:00am (PST) / 10:00am (GMT), also on November 11, we’re planning to run a live Letter from the Producer.

The event of all the Worlds coming down signifies the curtain closing on the current story of FFXIV. Your character data will be preserved with the final save maintenance on November 1, and transferred to A Realm Reborn. (The only change to your data will be the coordinates where your character appears after logging in.)

So, after Nov 1 sounds like nothing you do will effect what carries over into 2.0; so be sure to do everything you want prior to Nov 1st.
    Anyway, producers letter is here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/53080

So I guess that guarantees that 2.0 will be hitting PC in November?

I hope the apocalypse gets streamed or something. It would be interesting to see what would happen if you stuck around for the very end. A lengthy cutscene followed by a "disconnected" message?

No, the game will come down on Nov 11th, and then the alpha will start; initially it'll be Japan only and when they're confident with server stability (guess new engine means new server architecture?). The Letter said the alpha/beta for 2.0 will be for testing mechanics and stability and not content; and that Beta wouldn't come until after he was really comfortable with the state of Alpha

Unless they're gonna do Alpha and Beta in 2 months, it looks like 2.0 won't be this year, not 'live' 2.0 anyway.

But there was no actual timeline on the testing.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    They did say they had to recode the entire server structure to support zones and reconfigure all the servers to do the planned cross server grouping and such.

So, yeah, the servers will definitely be in need of a lot of debugging, I wager.

steam_sig.png
    No, the game will come down on Nov 11th, and then the alpha will start; initially it'll be Japan only and when they're confident with server stability (guess new engine means new server architecture?). The Letter said the alpha/beta for 2.0 will be for testing mechanics and stability and not content; and that Beta wouldn't come until after he was really comfortable with the state of Alpha

Unless they're gonna do Alpha and Beta in 2 months, it looks like 2.0 won't be this year, not 'live' 2.0 anyway.

So there's basically going to be a period where Square will not be making any kind of money from FFXIV.

Not that the current version was giving them decent subscriptions. Or was it? I'm actually curious.

One thing I am sure about Square is that when they make a decision to do something, they shovel with both hands.

Once they decided to unfuck the game they were going to go all the way.

So there's basically going to be a period where Square will not be making any kind of money from FFXIV.

Not that the current version was giving them decent subscriptions. Or was it? I'm actually curious.

Well, most of XIV's live has been no subs, at least the first year was. As far as how many people payed, I have no idea. I suspect that they got a lot of people at least for the full 90 days for the Legacy; when I log in lately there's no lack of people everywhere; in fact it seems really populated, at least on masamune. I doubt they ever released any real numbers, and they probably won't until 2.0 goes live for a bit.

edited September 2012
    This needs to be viewed immediately before it's taken down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIOq-2T5V5A&hd=1&list=FLrc1NJTyjqhuoj88qsmm_Iw&index=1&feature=plpp_video&hd=1

Are those chat bubbles coming from the NPCs? As in, not dialogue housed on the gigantic chat window mixed with everything else?

Because that would be my favorite thing ever.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited September 2012
    Look how fucking pretty that fucking game is.

Holy shit it's fucking fuck fuck nice.

Fuck.

Seriously, it looks unreasonably good; at least visually.

Also dudes name is Thor.

EDIT: When I imagined a 'sequel' to FFXI, that is what I imagined. Beautiful, handcrafted, zones, that you cared about.

EDIT2: WOoooooooooooooooooo Level Sync. One of the best additions to XI.

EDIT3: Limit Breaks look like 2hr abilities for Parties. Interesting.

The Dude With Herpes on

I wasn't seeing things, the NPCs really do have text bubbles. Text bubbles you can drag while they appear.

Not gigantic windows where all the text goes, but small text bubbles.

I get that some people are enjoying the current game, but I think I speak for many when I say I cannot wait for that world to burn.

edited September 2012
    Apparently neither can Square. After all, they scripted the method of its destruction.

Rock the site from Orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Is anyone online now? We need to get a linkshell together. I have one of the old ones that still has about 40 members, but no one is online in it.

Oop, logged on but I guess I was too late.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    @S-Starwind I can get back in for a few.

I'm still about, just playing some world of tanks, I can log in in the background, what did you want to do?

Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited September 2012
    Make sure you can invite people on linkshells!

Edit: I have to go out!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited September 2012
    Alright, we'll try for later then. We creating a new one? Might as well get a fresh one without so many non-players.

S-Starwind on
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    I have two available that are fresh.

Good stuff. I'll keep an eye on here to try and catch you later on then.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    \
    EDIT2: WOoooooooooooooooooo Level Sync. One of the best additions to XI.

I dunno. Level Sync was kinda double edged sword. On the one hand your high-level friends could help you get through teh Dunez. On the other hand sometime the ONLY place people wanted to level was in teh Dunez. I was so sick of teh Dunez or the Jungles. There were so many other cool places to level up in the 1-60 range and yet everybody just does teh Dunez until they're high enough level for an Abyssea party.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxJt3UOBhU8&feature=plcp&hd=1

I wonder if they're going to re-use any of the music from the original. Uematsu's score was the only thing they got right from the start, so it'd be kind of a waste to just toss it all away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6Zaefwo94&hd=1

On the other hand, the less things added to remind us of the existence of the original, the better.