As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Tabletop Freeplay Thread

• Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    PAX Prime 2011 felt like free play was divided across a few rooms and so it was hard to see games LFM and to see people LFG. I really like the idea of having a bunch of signs in the game-checkout table that you can just pick up and return (like the one above, which is indeed, fantastic).

I have this ad idea - people buy space in the PAX program, they should make their ad a "I'm LFG!" sign you can rip out and hold up, and then you'd be constantly looking at and showing around this company's ad! It's one of these ideas that's too good for anybody to ever do. (I used to be a marketing exec, and now I'm totally jaded...)

• Options
    RogalDornRogalDorn Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get a chance to play BSG again at some point during Prime.
    I'll 2nd that. pm me when you want to play.

• Options
    RogalDornRogalDorn Registered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    ...everyone thinks I'm a Cylon.. and I never am! ..

Only a cylon would say that...

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Lochiel wrote: »
    @Matev Are we going to try and do Paranoia again? I was bummed we couldn't do it last Prime.

I'm down for Paranoia if people want to give it a run-through. We'll definitely need interested parties to speak now...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    @Matev Are we going to try and do Paranoia again? I was bummed we couldn't do it last Prime.

I'm down for Paranoia if people want to give it a run-through. We'll definitely need interested parties to speak now...

This something a newbie could play? Or would you be looking for people who know what they are doing?

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

This something a newbie could play? Or would you be looking for people who know what they are doing?

Paranoia's just fine if you're new. In fact, half the fun is learning the ropes of the game. Just keep in mind, you have 6 lives for a reason...

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

Paranoia's just fine if you're new. In fact, half the fun is learning the ropes of the game. Just keep in mind, you have 6 lives for a reason...

Will talk to the hubby...sounds like something both of us would enjoy playing.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    I'm pleased to announce the Tabletop Tournament (TTT) schedule. I started a new thread for all TTT info at http://goo.gl/ah8bl

Lackey
    PAX Prime Tabletop Deputy Manager - Tournaments

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I was thinking about checking out D&D Tabletop this year, but I had a few questions.

Namely...

-How long does the average game run?

-Is it a full campaign, or is it just one encounter?

-Do characters have to be 4th Edition legal, or would it be okay if I brought a D&D Essentials Character?

I've already got my DCI card and everything, just trying to sort all this out in the interest of planning around panels/expo floor time.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Four hours. It's not a "campaign" or a single "encounter". It's typically a single short plot with 2 to 6 encounters depending on all kinds of criteria. Characters are typically provided.

That's the most common format I've seen. Everything I've said can be +/- a bit depending on the specifics. You should research any D&D tabletop thing before you get to the table ideally.

And if someone is running their own thing, those general guidelines might go out the window. I've gone to conventions and sat down for eight + hours into the night playing a mini-campaign.

• Options
    Usually, unless people are crazy prepped, pre-gens are the order of the day. I know for DM's Challenge, the DM's make the characters, and I make characters for most of the one shots I run. Unless it's explicitly stated to bring your own stuff, it's safe to assume it'll be provided for you.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    RogalDorn wrote: »
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    ...everyone thinks I'm a Cylon.. and I never am! ..

Only a cylon would say that...

Every game of battlestar I have played degenerates into the Spanish inquisition.

Great game!

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DDiceDaveDDiceDave Registered User regular
    Dragon Dice (CDG) will be at Prime again this year! If I not running demos, I'm always ready for a game. This is a game that attracts many CCG players.
    There will be a tournament Saturday night, and it will be a PAX Prime first! (I hope all goes well!)

Volunteer Representative for
    SFR Inc. (Makers of Dragon Dice & Daemon Dice)
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    I'm going to try to bring a copy of the board game Eclipse with me this year. I'd like to get a group of six for a full game, preferably made up of players that already know the rules. The game does take a while, so we'll have to schedule a good chunk of time to play.

Man, that game is rad, though I've only played as humans against humans.

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    Raikoh067Raikoh067 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So I know there are a couple different tournaments for Warhammer 40k already in the schedule. But what about those of us us are not part of the Tourney Scene, and just want to play some friendly games? I have done a ton of searching in the forums, and nobody seems to have brought this up yet.

In the last 3 years, I often frequent the tabletop free play areas in search of 40k games and never found any. Not too surprising, considering they require terrain and tables, but I have never been able to figure this out. Is there a typical place to play?

Raikoh067 on
  • Options
    RandorammaRandoramma Registered User regular
    So I just played Talisman for the first time on Saturday. So much fun! Any idea if this will be available? Anyone interest in playing it? Every year I have wanted to try out the TTFPA (Table Top Free Play Area) and it looks like this is going to be the year! Woo hoo!

PAX Prime '09 '10 '12 '13 '14
  • Options
    duffleheaddufflehead Registered User regular
    Would anybody be interested in playtesting some board game prototypes?

• Options
    MaugusMaugus Registered User regular
    dufflehead wrote: »

I was actually going to ask the same thing. I've got a card game prototype that I'd like to play with people if anyone's interested. It's a 5-10 player game, so I need a good number of people. :)

• Options
    BearTheHumanBearTheHuman Registered User regular
    Maugus wrote: »

I was actually going to ask the same thing. I've got a card game prototype that I'd like to play with people if anyone's interested. It's a 5-10 player game, so I need a good number of people. :)

I would be down to play either of these things. PM me, or better yet, DM/mention me on twitter. I'm @bearisonthenets.

• Options
    sageltsagelt Registered User regular
    If you're looking for RPGs beyond D&D at PAX, make sure to check out Games on Demand: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/164995/prime-indie-tabletop-rpgs-on-demand

• Options
    edited August 2012
    For everyone interested in Freeplay, please be aware that we will have two Game Libraries at your disposal:

1) In the WSCC, on the 2nd Floor, in Rm. 204
    2) In the Red Lion Hotel, on the 3rd Floor, in the Orcas Room. The Red Lion is two blocks from the WSCC on 5th, above the Elephant and Castle restaurant.

Freeplay areas will be available in both locations. Both libraries will be stocked with the latest & greatest, classic, and unique games for you to try out. Just remember that games borrowed from either library must remain within the same building -- i.e. you are not allowed to check out a game from the Red Lion and take it back to the WSCC to play.

In addition, various vendors like Cryptozoic Entertainment, Steve Jackson Games, Wizards of the Coast, and many more will have demo areas for you to try out their games. And don't forget about our Tournaments, Tabletop Theater, Workshops and other planned activities.

Just over a week to go!!

Lackey on
  • Options
    Raikoh067 wrote: »
    So I know there are a couple different tournaments for Warhammer 40k already in the schedule. But what about those of us us are not part of the Tourney Scene, and just want to play some friendly games? I have done a ton of searching in the forums, and nobody seems to have brought this up yet.

In the last 3 years, I often frequent the tabletop free play areas in search of 40k games and never found any. Not too surprising, considering they require terrain and tables, but I have never been able to figure this out. Is there a typical place to play?

The tables where the 40K tournaments will take place will be available for Freeplay use when the tournaments are not being run.

• Options
    Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Lackey wrote: »
    For everyone interested in Freeplay, please be aware that we will have two Game Libraries at your disposal:

1) In the WSCC, on the 2nd Floor, in Rm. 204
    2) In the Red Lion Hotel, on the 3rd Floor, in the Orcas Room. The Red Lion is two blocks from the WSCC on 5th, above the Elephant and Castle restaurant.

Freeplay areas will be available in both locations. Both libraries will be stocked with the latest & greatest, classic, and unique games for you to try out. Just remember that games borrowed from either library must remain within the same building -- i.e. you are not allowed to check out a game from the Red Lion and take it back to the WSCC to play.

In addition, various vendors like Cryptozoic Entertainment, Steve Jackson Games, Wizards of the Coast, and many more will have demo areas for you to try out their games. And don't forget about our Tournaments, Tabletop Theater, Workshops and other planned activities.

Just over a week to go!!

Oh man.. So many games to play... With a library in the Red Lion, I'll never have to even go in the WSCC >.<;

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Options
    deadwing34deadwing34 Registered User regular

The tables where the 40K tournaments will take place will be available for Freeplay use when the tournaments are not being run.

So will you have 6th edition rulebooks, codex, army list, dice, templates and mini's for the people that just want to play WH40k and not carry all of that stuff with them?

• Options
    WoteWote TableTop Bowler Hat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    deadwing34 wrote: »

So will you have 6th edition rulebooks, codex, army list, dice, templates and mini's for the people that just want to play WH40k and not carry all of that stuff with them?

We'll likely have a few armies (list and minis) and dice available. I can't promise we'll have rulebooks, codex or templates (though I'm working on getting hold of templates!), we'll do our best though.

• Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    deadwing34 wrote: »

so when the tables are not being used for a tourny are they just first come first serve? my friend and i where planning on bringing our 40k armies to play a game or 2 and ide hate to have to lug it from the car all the way to the room to find no spots to play. is there a certain time of day that would be better to check?

• Options
    FlawlessSnakeFlawlessSnake Registered User regular
    Just to let you know I'll be bring my Templars up to 3000pts have a three day pass so PM to setup a game.

• Options
    JohnnyWasabiJohnnyWasabi Technical Director, inXile entertainment Tustin, CARegistered User regular
    How does the board game checkout system work? I can't attend PAX (and have never been to it before) but a friend is going and I want to send some copies of a game with him to make available for people to play at the Free Play area. Do I need to arrange that ahead of time? Can he just show up with the games and deposit them at the "library"? What's the risk of losing the games all together if he is not their monitoring (which he can't do). Is there a time window for picking up the games at the end (or when he finally has to leave)? Thanks! FYI: It's a new 2-player strategy game I helped develop. I plan to include info with the games asking people to post their feedback online, and I'm thinking of running a tournament by online communication of people playing at PAX, if I can get enough interest.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    So......for anyone who's interested, I'm currently putting the finishing touches on an "Escalating Campaign" for people to play over the course of the weekend. Here are the details for the games. I'm breaking from my usual stance on con games and advised people to roll up characters for this. (In "Versions", see below) So, without further ado, Fourthcore coming to PAX.

NEEDED

Adventurers of the finest caliber, stalwart and true. The people of the world have need of your services. The jealous and fickle gods will drown the world if the Crucible of the Gods is not steaded before night's end.

At least 5 adventurers are needed to undertake this horrible challenge, but seconds are encouraged, as many have died for the amusement of the gods. Please sign below should you wish to seek glory and riches beyond imagining, may the gods grant you a swift and painless death in their testing.

(D&D 4e, 1st level. Psionics need not apply. The Challenge starts at 2:30pm Friday and will end at 7 same day. Multiple teams/backups encouraged. 1st of 3 escalating modules!)

NEEDED

Adventurers of known piety and strength. The people of the world again have need of your services. The Heresiarch makes war, and means to be the new God of this world.

At least 5 adventurers are needed to undertake this terrible challenge, but seconds are encouraged, as the Heresiarch's Fane will surely prove the bane of many. Should you wish to save the world from a terrible fate, sign up below. Go, and know that we stand with you in that wicked place.

(D&D 4e, 6th level. Psionics need not apply. The Challenge starts at 8:00am Saturday and will end at noon the same day. Multiple teams/backups encouraged. 2nd of 3 escalating modules!)

NEEDED

Adventurers of known Valor and Fame. We must call upon you one last time. The Iron Lich readies himself to rise again, and with his legions of the damned blight the world.

At least 5 adventurers are needed to undertake this herculean challenge, but seconds are encouraged, as the Lich's Tomb has claimed the souls of armies If you are mighty enough to succeed where so many have failed, sign up below, and may the sign of the crusaders guide you.

(D&D 4e, 16h level. Psionics need not apply. The Challenge starts at 12:00pm Sunday and will end at 4PM the same day. Multiple teams/backups encouraged. Last of 3 escalating modules!)

There will of course be sign up sheets at the convention. Look forward to seeing everyone there! :D

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Black Flame ZealotBlack Flame Zealot D&D Program Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    I was thinking about checking out D&D Tabletop this year, but I had a few questions.

Namely...

-How long does the average game run?

-Is it a full campaign, or is it just one encounter?

-Do characters have to be 4th Edition legal, or would it be okay if I brought a D&D Essentials Character?

I've already got my DCI card and everything, just trying to sort all this out in the interest of planning around panels/expo floor time.

- Our average run time is 2 hours per session at PAX. Exceptions are the D&D Next playtest and the DM's Challenge (4 hours each).

- Short adventures consisting of a few encounters, depending on the event.

- Characters are provided for all games. If you want to build a character for the D&D Encounters event (which is drow-centric), you can do so, but the character must be drow (or one of a select number of races the drow typically have as slaves). You can use Essentials builds for that character.

Get all the info on our events here: https://sites.google.com/site/ddatpaxprime/

D&D Program Manager
    Wizards of the Coast
    http://www.twitter.com/christulach
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    How does the board game checkout system work? I can't attend PAX (and have never been to it before) but a friend is going and I want to send some copies of a game with him to make available for people to play at the Free Play area. Do I need to arrange that ahead of time? Can he just show up with the games and deposit them at the "library"? What's the risk of losing the games all together if he is not their monitoring (which he can't do). Is there a time window for picking up the games at the end (or when he finally has to leave)? Thanks! FYI: It's a new 2-player strategy game I helped develop. I plan to include info with the games asking people to post their feedback online, and I'm thinking of running a tournament by online communication of people playing at PAX, if I can get enough interest.

Paging @Wote.

Game check out works by finding a game you want, giving your ID to an Enforcer (Drivers licence, Passport, etc) at the checkout desk, who will then work some magic to connect you and the game you are checking out together in their system. Then later you give them the game back, and they give you your ID back. I think unclaimed ID's are sold on the black market to allow under aged people to by M rated games, but I'm not sure about that.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Paging @Wote.

Game check out works by finding a game you want, giving your ID to an Enforcer (Drivers licence, Passport, etc) at the checkout desk, who will then work some magic to connect you and the game you are checking out together in their system. Then later you give them the game back, and they give you your ID back. I think unclaimed ID's are sold on the black market to allow under aged people to by M rated games, but I'm not sure about that.

In addition, I'm fairly certain you can't just drop games off for the Library. The collection is carefully maintained by the crew running the Libraries, and I don't think they accept donations at the show.

• Options
    deadwing34deadwing34 Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if anyone will be DMing the DCC RPG at PAX this year?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I want to send some copies of a game with him to make available for people to play at the Free Play area. Do I need to arrange that ahead of time? Can he just show up with the games and deposit them at the "library"?

The games in the Libraries are comprised 100% of PA-owned and Enforcer-loaned games. We are not accepting any games into the checkout libraries from attendees. Your friend is welcome to bring copies of your game and attract people to play in the Freeplay rooms, but due to a number of logistical reasons, attendees cannot provide games to our checkout libraries as a way to make their games available to the general PAX attendee.

Thank you for the offer though, and I hope your friend is able to help generate some buzz and exposure for your game!

Lackey on
  • Options
    JohnnyWasabiJohnnyWasabi Technical Director, inXile entertainment Tustin, CARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Paging @Wote.

In addition, I'm fairly certain you can't just drop games off for the Library. The collection is carefully maintained by the crew running the Libraries, and I don't think they accept donations at the show.

Thank you Lochiel and Zerzhul for the information. I was able to get in touch with the tabletop enforcer team and they have kindly agreed to accept the games into the PAX library and offsite library at the Red Lion, and we've made arrangements for delivery.

BTW the game is "Barca-The Watering Hold Game". It's a two player strategy game with a really nifty game dynamic between the pieces that's like rock-paper-scissors. I hope you get a chance to try it some time (or you can try a computer version against AI at PlayBrca.com).

Thanks again to both of you!

• Options
    So......for anyone who's interested, I'm currently putting the finishing touches on an "Escalating Campaign" for people to play over the course of the weekend. Here are the details for the games. I'm breaking from my usual stance on con games and advised people to roll up characters for this. (In "Versions", see below) So, without further ado, Fourthcore coming to PAX.

This looks interesting... I was hoping there would be something official done by wizards like this as they did in 2010. I need to check my other obligations and see if this fits into my schedule... I feel the Fri and Sat would most likely, Sun I have my kid with me and she wouldn't be down for sitting for that long... will get back if there is still space. Thanks for setting it up!

• Options

NEEDED

Adventurers of the finest caliber, stalwart and true. The people of the world have need of your services. The jealous and fickle gods will drown the world if the Crucible of the Gods is not steaded before night's end.

At least 5 adventurers are needed to undertake this horrible challenge, but seconds are encouraged, as many have died for the amusement of the gods. Please sign below should you wish to seek glory and riches beyond imagining, may the gods grant you a swift and painless death in their testing.

(D&D 4e, 1st level. Psionics need not apply. The Challenge starts at 2:30pm Friday and will end at 7 same day. Multiple teams/backups encouraged. 1st of 3 escalating modules!)

NEEDED

Adventurers of known piety and strength. The people of the world again have need of your services. The Heresiarch makes war, and means to be the new God of this world.

At least 5 adventurers are needed to undertake this terrible challenge, but seconds are encouraged, as the Heresiarch's Fane will surely prove the bane of many. Should you wish to save the world from a terrible fate, sign up below. Go, and know that we stand with you in that wicked place.

(D&D 4e, 6th level. Psionics need not apply. The Challenge starts at 8:00am Saturday and will end at noon the same day. Multiple teams/backups encouraged. 2nd of 3 escalating modules!)

NEEDED

Adventurers of known Valor and Fame. We must call upon you one last time. The Iron Lich readies himself to rise again, and with his legions of the damned blight the world.

At least 5 adventurers are needed to undertake this herculean challenge, but seconds are encouraged, as the Lich's Tomb has claimed the souls of armies If you are mighty enough to succeed where so many have failed, sign up below, and may the sign of the crusaders guide you.

(D&D 4e, 16h level. Psionics need not apply. The Challenge starts at 12:00pm Sunday and will end at 4PM the same day. Multiple teams/backups encouraged. Last of 3 escalating modules!)

There will of course be sign up sheets at the convention. Look forward to seeing everyone there! :D

Where will this be located?

• Options
    TiffanyanTiffanyan Registered User new member
    If anyone wants to play some casual magic, I'll be walking around in a Jace costume on Saturday! Imagine all the satisfaction of beating down Jace while he tries to mill you to death =]

• Options
    Slipstream.ccSlipstream.cc Mill Creek, WARegistered User regular
    Anyone up for Sky Traders? I might be picking it up this weekend if the price is right...

I play Indoors | PAX's Attended: 07 08 09 10 12 13
  • Options
    FREE BARCA PRIZES!

I'm running a Barca tournament (The Barca "Pic Post" Tourney) and awarding free copies of the game to the top players. Details are posted at PlayBarca.com (click 2nd image down).

Barca is a very easy to learn 2-player strategy game with a surprisingly simple and intuitive game mechanic that makes for interesting strategic play. No luck involved, well... except for playing rock-paper scissors to see who moves first.

No pre-sign up is required!

I'm using a novel approach to running the tournament because I can't be there on site. A friend is on site to help, but I'm managing it remotely through PlayBarca.com, and you can enter by playing whenever you get a chance, and e-mailing a picture of you and your opponent playing your match to PAX@PlayBarca.com (detailed rules on the website).

There will be copies of the game in the lending library of the tabletop free-play areas (hopefully by early tomorrow). The contests lasts the whole conference. To enter the tournament, just play with a friend (or whoever), send your pic, and then find other winners to match up with to reach the next higher tournament tier. We add another game prize for every tier level the tournament reaches (up to 6 prizes), so the odds of winning a prize are quite good!

Please play! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.