As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Wednesday, June 20, 2012 - Anthrophila

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited June 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    hahaha oh man Tycho's face in panels 2 and 3. Excellent. Not exaggerated, just perfect. Unfortunately Mike forgot to draw the little black line to finish Tycho's head in the upper left, just like he always forgets, but whatever.

Also I like Gabe's ripped shirt sleeves.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ehrmagerd

Ah em Bee-mam

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    This Bee-Mam?

Q8iNU.jpg

Or the other one?

VJwdP.png

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    That's probably the best 3rd panel Tycho face ever.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure you can't get a severe allergic reaction on your first exposure to an agent.

Hate to be a buzz-kill (HA!).

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Gabe is bleeding from the mouth.

• Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    hahaha oh man Tycho's face in panels 2 and 3. Excellent. Not exaggerated, just perfect. Unfortunately Mike forgot to draw the little black line to finish Tycho's head in the upper left, just like he always forgets, but whatever.

considering he's got to get up in there and colour it I think it's passed from the realm of "forgetfulness" and into "conscious decision"

qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Jaunty wrote: »

considering he's got to get up in there and colour it I think it's passed from the realm of "forgetfulness" and into "conscious decision"

Color what? It's a black line (Okay, two) lol. 30 seconds in paint:

f82gc.jpg

Not saying I don't forget things too, and it doesn't even bother me that much, but just trying to make a point that he almost definitely forgot/didn't notice it.

Either way, this comic is awesome.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

f82gc.jpg

Not saying I don't forget things too, and it doesn't even bother me that much, but just trying to make a point that he almost definitely forgot/didn't notice it.

As in he must have noticed when colouring in the flesh tone, so it's probably deliberate.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012

f82gc.jpg

As in he must have noticed when colouring in the flesh tone, so it's probably deliberate.

And I'd agree with that, if only in the last panel he did the same thing. I think that's what's causing this debate, the inconsistency from panels 1/2 to 3.

Also, I just now realized he drew the ripped sleeves on Gabe. I now don't care at all about him missing and/or deliberately not having lines on Tycho's face. That last panel makes everything great.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    As someone who is/was (not sure) allergic to bees I approve of this comic.

I don't approve of bee stings though. Man, those things suck. And are deadly to some of us.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Silly Gabe...you only get superpowers if it's radioactive!

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ok that third panel is just fantastic.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    hailroboniahailrobonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    When I was a kid I got in a huge argument with a friend. He said he was allergic to bee stings, and when he was stung by a bee, he got hives all over his body, including in his mouth. I had never heard of the word "hive" meaning anything other than a beehive, so didn't know that it could mean rash or welt, so I said he was full of bullshit. I pictured beehives growing all over his body because of the sting, and thought it was just too terrible to be real.
    Silly Gabe...you only get superpowers if it's radioactive!
    Silly SirEtchwarts, radioactivity hasn't given superpowers for 20 years. It's genetic engineering and nanotech now.

hailrobonia on
  • Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    I'm like Gabe in that I'm in my 30s and have never, as far as I can recall, been stung by a bee. Unlike Gabe though, I've always been very cautious around them. I have allergies to other things, so I could be allergic to bees.

I remember once as a kid we went to Six Flags, and my younger sister got stung repeatedly by a wasp. We had to go to the first aid station there. She also was stung repeatedly when she was much younger, like a toddler. She's had bad luck with bees, is what I'm getting at.

• Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    This is my favouritist since the Retina one.

Gone.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The sheer volume of edits into which that Gabe will find itself inserted is terrifying.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    when i was a kid, i accidentally pushed a lawnmower over an underground bee hive.

yes, they can build hives underground.

i got stung a bunch of times. not sure if i've developed an allergy since then, but i'd probably die out of sheer terror if i got stung by another bee.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    hailroboniahailrobonia Registered User regular
    You know what they say — the bee stings in life are free.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bees are dicks.

They stung my dog once. On her own porch. She wouldn't go outside for a week.

Rest assured I killed them all. Ive never been stung myself so I really don't know if Im allergic.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Fish in a BarrelFish in a Barrel Registered User new member
    I don't know if it's because I'm allergic to them, but when I'm stung it more than "smarts." It feels like a red-hot molten barb has been jammed into my flesh.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    My younger brother and his friends once disturbed a bee's or a wasp's nest (can't remember which) in a hedge across the large field outside our house. The first we heard of it was about half a dozen 5-8 years-olds running screaming across to their respective houses, followed by angry wasps/bees. Damn things just wouldn't stop chasing, dozens to each kid (except the youngest, who somehow didn't get stung once the entire time). Hell, my mum got stung a dozen times trying to get them off, eventually just getting him to jump into the shower to was 'em off.

Oddly, we don't see nests around anymore. Can't say i'm too sad.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    when i was a kid, i accidentally pushed a lawnmower over an underground bee hive.

i got stung a bunch of times. not sure if i've developed an allergy since then, but i'd probably die out of sheer terror if i got stung by another bee.

Ah, yes, ground bees. The best part is that they're far, far more aggressive than normal bees, too! I mowed over one (while wearing sandals like the stupid fuck I am) and by the time I realized what was happening I was stung about 9 times. I made it back into the house, but had three stings on each foot, two on an elbow and a few on each hand. I couldn't get my feet in shoes for like four days.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Ah, yes, ground bees. The best part is that they're far, far more aggressive than normal bees, too! I mowed over one (while wearing sandals like the stupid fuck I am) and by the time I realized what was happening I was stung about 9 times. I made it back into the house, but had three stings on each foot, two on an elbow and a few on each hand. I couldn't get my feet in shoes for like four days.

you could feel the stings through your layers and layers of muscles?
    :P

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who is confused by what gabe say's in panel 1?

"That... that really smarts!"

Is it a typo? Is it supposed to be slurred swollen bee speech? Is there another meaning to smarts that i'm not privy to?

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    TqRqR.jpg

• Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    eh? who knew...

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I was gonna say "really, you didn't know that?" but come to think of it, I never really hear this form of "smart" used anymore.

Swearing just has more weight to it.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    At least he didn't say "Ouch, that really stings!"

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    I was gonna say "really, you didn't know that?" but come to think of it, I never really hear this form of "smart" used anymore.

Swearing just has more weight to it.

I learned that usage when I was like 7.

From that really nerdy kid on Full House.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tylerinthetubtylerinthetub Registered User new member
    My aunt used to beekeep as a hobby. Her and my uncle are the epitome of old hippies. One day the she knocked one of the hives over and ran screaming towards the house with bees in tow, where my uncle and one of his old hippy buddy's happened to be sharing a skin of homemade wine. She bolted past them and slammed the door...

This is all I could ever get out of them, I'm assuming the rest of the story was laced with profanity.

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    haavi.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    haavi.jpg

:^:

• Options
    Fanda wrote: »
    haavi.jpg

:^:

Oh my god, "Two thumbs wayyyyyyyyyyyy way up". :^: :^:

• Options
    drthmikdrthmik Registered User new member
    A duck! wrote: »

few things piss off bees and wasps more than lawn mowers. the sound of the engine drives them nuts. only weed whips, leaf blowers and chainsaws are worse
    alternatively they could have been Yellow Jackets and not bees. Yellow Jackets are FAR more aggressive than most bees (and mowers really get their rage going too)

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Which bee-type things all die from stinging? I'm pretty sure Wasps can sting without dying like Bees do, but I don't know about Yellow-Jackets and anything else.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Which bee-type things all die from stinging? I'm pretty sure Wasps can sting without dying like Bees do, but I don't know about Yellow-Jackets and anything else.
    Yellow Jackets are wasps. Hornets can sting multiple times like wasps. Worker honeybees have a barbed stinger which gets torn off when embedded in a mammal's skin, killing them. the stinger on queen honeybees is not barbed, but they rarely leave the hive.

The terms wasp, hornet, and bee (aka honeybee) appears to cover all the types of stinging flying insects. Only the honeybee has the potential to die if it stings.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »
    Yellow Jackets are wasps.

Hmm, until now I wasn't aware that the terms "wasp" and "yellowjacket" were basically interchangeable.

Apparently all yellowjackets are wasps, but not all wasps are yellowjackets? And yellowjacket is mainly a North American term, Wikipedia tells me. Interesting.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    marsilies wrote: »
    Yellow Jackets are wasps.

Hmm, until now I wasn't aware that the terms "wasp" and "yellowjacket" were basically interchangeable.

Apparently all yellowjackets are wasps, but not all wasps are yellowjackets? And yellowjacket is mainly a North American term, Wikipedia tells me. Interesting.

Yup, there's several types of wasps, and all of them are pissed off. "Yellow jacket" is just a common or slang term for wasps, though a lot of people think it's a a particular species. Like a seagull.

• Options
    CZekeCZeke Registered User new member
    Not only are yellowjackets wasps, they are also giant-men.

Clever strip title this time, btw. It's a portmanteau. "Anthophila" is the scientific name for bees, but "anthro" means human, so there you go.