As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Work

FloydzorFloydzor Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Well is a paining I did.

Its a Monochromatic I did.

Size is 16 x 20, Acrylics on Canvas.

Tips pl0x.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

Oh and Here is a Drawing i did. I don't know the dimensions but its big.

IMG_0662.jpg

Floydzor on

• core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Since the title changed, I'll ask a question instead. What's with the neckbeard on the first picture?

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • FloydzorFloydzor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The "neck beard" is shadow.

Its hard to tell but his head is tittled.

Floydzor on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's difficult to crit.

Is this piece finished? Were you trying to make it look realistic? The anatomy in both are really off, to the point of abstraction. The brushstrokes in the first picture make it look like you got tired of painting in such giant sections of canvas with block colour and decided to just slather on paint with a big brush.

Same thing with the pencil strokes in the second picture. Some of them are dark and scratched into the paper, others seem to be blended and rubbed together, but the inconsistency never looks good. Again, the anatomy is off, and if that's supposed to be Jim Carrey the only way I'd be able to tell was from having "23" all over the page; the face there is too poorly drawn to recognize him without it.

Brolo on
    edited July 2007
    The second one was for art class. (yes i am still in high school)

The assignment was a gridded drawing. But for that one I decided to make it not look like Carrey.

The second one i just wanted it to be a simple painting.

But thanks for the comment.

Floydzor on
  • StacyPinkStacyPink Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thats.. strange ;D

But it's kinda cool anyway, keep the good work.

StacyPink on
  • NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the blue fellow, I'd recommend adding some ears. Since his head is supposed to be tilted back, they'd be lower with respect to the rest of the face than they'd be on a normal straight-on shot, which will help the viewer know that the face is supposed to be tilted. I would also try making the shadowy area under his chin the same lighter color blue that you've used on his Adam's apple, rather than the same dark blue that you've used for the outlines.

Actually, I'd probably try to get rid of as much of that dark outlining as possible. It seems unnecessary and distracting.

More generally speaking, if you want to draw a face that's tilted at an angle to the viewer, remember that this means some of the features will be extended while others will be compressed--so if my head is down, you'll see a lot of forehead while my mouth and nose and chin are more squished up. For your fellow, who I presume has his head tilted back, this means his chin/mouth/nose tip area is going to be elongated, while his eyes/eyebrows/forehead are is going to be more squished (I guess the technical term is 'foreshortened'.)

NakedElf on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Off topic, but i can't stop myself. StacyPink the fact that you colour your posts pink irritates me in a previously unheard of amount.

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    Yes the blue on i was thinking of correcting some stuff. Basically everything you said ;)

But thanks NakedElf for the help I really appreciate it, i will post the new pictures when I make the painting look better

Floydzor on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lly wrote: »
    Off topic, but i can't stop myself. StacyPink the fact that you colour your posts pink irritates me in a previously unheard of amount.

I agree with that completely. I think I wouldn't mind it as much if it weren't so close to white, it's just so close that it fucks me up a little.

On topic:

I wouldn't worry about working on that painting anymore. (Unless you need to for class or something) You should start anew and start with the basics. Go over to the Questions thread and take a peak at some painting tuts. (Unfortunatly I'm not much of a painter myself, so that's all I can really say.)

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.