As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Picnic help

FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm taking a girl on a picnic tomorrow and I was trying to think of what to prepare.
This is the abstract list I have: Baguette, brie, red seedless grapes, strawberries (possibly with some kind of cream or chocolate), and a wine.

I'm having trouble with the wine. I was thinking a merlot. I know that you do a red wine with, well, red meat and a white for fish or chicken, but what do you do when you don't have a meat dish?

Also other suggestions as to what I should get and prepare are appreciated.

Fellhand on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dark red wines like merlot are good with any food that's rich or strong-tasting. (There's no reason you can't pair a merlot with a chicken dish if the chicken was cooked in a strong sauce.) So if you're going to do strawberries + chocolate, the merlot is fine.

FWIW, nobody really cares about pairing anymore except for wine & food snobs.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Dark red wines like merlot are good with any food that's rich or strong-tasting. (There's no reason you can't pair a merlot with a chicken dish if the chicken was cooked in a strong sauce.) So if you're going to do strawberries + chocolate, the merlot is fine.

FWIW, nobody really cares about pairing anymore except for wine & food snobs.

It makes me feel classy though. Thank you for assuring me on the merlot though.

What brand should I buy now? I was going to go to Hannafords to get it. I know that classy and Hannafords don't go together ;-).

Fellhand on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just to clarify, do you know what kind of wine she prefers? Preference > pairing. She might like white better.

Anyway, I don't know what wineries are available up in Vermont. You can usually make a decent guess based on the price. $20-30 is about right for a 750ml bottle of just about any kind of wine if you want something good without being pretentious.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Hm. I hadn't really concidered preference. I was kind of trying to suprise her. She knows we're doing a picnic, but not the dishes. All I know is she hates mayo.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I wouldn't stress too much about the wine.

If you were in California, I'd say Ravenswood, Northstar (might be a little pricey), Mondavi, and Kenwood make good merlots. But like I said you can also guess based on the price.

Feral on