As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick Question About XP MCE.

043043 Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm about to install XP Media Center Edition so I can use all the 360 streaming features. What I need to know is if there will be any significant game performance hit? All I play is CS, Halo PC, BF2 and all the usual Source engine titles. They run fine on my rig on XP Pro:

AMD 4200+ X2.
2GB RAM.
nVidia 7900GTX.

Think I'll have any problems?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
043 on

• Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited July 2007
    Everything should be just fine.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just as a note even if you have MCE you still can't watch AVI files through the 360. I found out the hard way after formating to MCE.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Media Center Edition is based out of Professional (except that it cannot join domains), so it'll run exactly the same.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There are ways to watch any media format through MCE's extender to the 360. The most common technique is transcoding, which is precisely what Transcode 360 does. It's not perfect (there are some quirks concerning how MCE's media player plays anything being transcoded live), but it works.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    MCE is also programmed with alot of special "make your computer do random shit" code that nobody can exactly identify. Of the three computers I've tried it on, including a laptop that came with it preinstalled, I've had problems with random crashes and lockups that 100% ceased when I just installed regular XP.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    There are ways to watch any media format through MCE's extender to the 360. The most common technique is transcoding, which is precisely what Transcode 360 does. It's not perfect (there are some quirks concerning how MCE's media player plays anything being transcoded live), but it works.

Yeah, this is what I planned on doing. :^:

EDIT:

Does installing Rollup 2 delete anything? 'cause I just got all my shit to this install and I can't go through that again.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FatmanGamesFatmanGames Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It shouldn't do anything bad. Try an imaging software, like Ghost, or better - the trial version of Acronis TrueImage (I use the full version) will let you rescue your system for up to 14 days for free.

Anyway, I run Media Center, and it's pretty good. I've done a lot to tweak it, like MyMovies, Transcode 360, MCE Browser, My Web Media, a HD tuner card, etc.

Plus, I have Nero's streaming software running to support my PS3, but that's a performance hit, and unneeded if you have just the 360.

FatmanGames on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Here's something fun.

The center and rear right and left speakers in my 5.1 (Logitech X530) setup aren't putting out sound. WTF?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]