Options

Wedding Tuxedo

Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.hisHistory-loving pal!Registered User regular
Hey, I am getting married soon!(ish)
It's really not for another year and a half, but since we've been dating eight years already, we figured we shouldn't rush into anything.

So I'm looking for a sort of old fashioned look, a tux with tails. I found a deal on JoS a. Bank (here's the one I'm looking at). Any suggestions on places to buy from? I don't normally wear suits. I'm about six feet tall, around 180 pounds, so I'm not worried about looking like an opera singer in one of those, just seemed like a good idea.

I live in Texas, if that helps.

SrUxdlb.jpg

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Hey, I am getting married soon!(ish)
    It's really not for another year and a half, but since we've been dating eight years already, we figured we shouldn't rush into anything.

So I'm looking for a sort of old fashioned look, a tux with tails. I found a deal on JoS a. Bank (here's the one I'm looking at). Any suggestions on places to buy from? I don't normally wear suits. I'm about six feet tall, around 180 pounds, so I'm not worried about looking like an opera singer in one of those, just seemed like a good idea.

I live in Texas, if that helps.

A tux has no tails, by definition. Not that it matters except calling it a coat and tails may make your search more accurate and easier.

While I wouldn't give Jos. A Bank high marks in general, for something you're only likely to wear once I have to admit they seem like a pretty good option.

If you're going to be putting groomsmen in tails as well, keep in mind price on their behalf.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Sounds like you want white tie dress. You can leave the top hat and opt for a black tie if you like. Like MentalExercise said, tails rental will cost more for your groomsmen if you're going to have them match you.

If your weight fluctuates much you may want to put off buying til a few months before the date.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info so far guys. Will definitely wait a little bit on buying or renting anything, but taking the groomsmen into account is something I've overlooked so far. Time for more research!

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on stores or businesses (especially in the dfw or internet areas) for anything groom-related for weddings, I'd love to hear them.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    One thing to keep in mind is the style of your bride's dress. You don't want to out -dress her

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I have been assured her dress is very formal (I don't want to actually see it until wedding day), and she is definitely on board with this style of suit. Definitely a good thing to keep in mind, though!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Don't have any recs for where you might go, but rent, don't buy. Unless you participate in events with heads of state, or 5 digit fund raisers, you'll never have a chance to wear it again (I bought my white tie suit I wore for prom 17 years ago, it is never appropriate wear). Halloween is exceptional.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    One thing to note is that both white tie and black tie are evening dress, with the corresponding daytime formalwear being morning dress and stroller (US) or morning suit (UK).

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    I would strongly suggest renting over purchasing. I had good luck for my wedding looking at local bridal shops that also rented tuxes, as they tend to be far more useful than some place that has a backwards "R" in the title and specializes in prom tuxes. If you really want to buy, Joseph A. Banks is a good choice for any suit that you're going to wear once because of the low price. The quality there is what I consider to be on the right side of acceptable, but no one is going to notice the stitching on your crazy awesome formalwear anyway.