Options

[Republicans]: The Grand New Party

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    From what I was hearing from conservative pundits last night, they plan to double down on their ultra conservative line. If that's the case, they will get trounced in 2016 and then perhaps wake up to the reality of the situation.

I think it's going to take one more very clear defeat to wake the GOP up. It may actually happen as early as 2014, as there are quite a few house teapers up for reelection that year. If the obstructionism continues, I think the country has shown they are willing to throw Tea Party candidates out on their butts.

This election is 50/50 popular vote... but in the 10 states that matter we lost 9 of 10. Thats a beat down.

But I bet you are 100% right. they wont react till after another solid loss.

Talking about popular vote totals in our system is meaningless. All the big liberal states are told from the word go their vote for president doesn't matter. You don't think in a pure popular vote system more of those people would turnout to the polls?

I honestly think the same people going "Wahhh my vote doesn't matter" right now under the AC because their state goes one way or the other and they're only 1 in xx million will just go "Wahhhh my vote doesn't matter" because now they'll be 1 in xxx million

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    Honestly, I think the biggest reform the Republican party should endorse is immigration reform. Change your stance on immigration and I think that a lot of votes will open up.

I actually think this is the most likely area to get traction in a new-look GOP, due to Bush 2 already being soft on immigration and how it's not an issue that should abrade the evangelicals. All the talk on all the networks right now, on both sides, is all about how the GOP needs to get more brown people on board.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Of course not. It would be an immediate shot of more brown democratic voters in to the system. The last thing they want.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Allen West, tea-bagger from Florida swept in during 2010 midterms, is demanding a hand recount and has some claims about fraud.

This guy is one of the planet's worst people. He is certainly one of Florida's top three behind Rick Scott.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83476.html

Shogun on
  • Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think the biggest reform the Republican party should endorse is immigration reform. Change your stance on immigration and I think that a lot of votes will open up.

I actually think this is the most likely area to get traction in a new-look GOP, due to Bush 2 already being soft on immigration and how it's not an issue that should abrade the evangelicals. All the talk on all the networks right now, on both sides, is all about how the GOP needs to get more brown people on board.

I am guessing that they will soften their broad party stance. It's hard for people who are more conservative but can't stand some of the stupid shit the GOP does to get behind them sometimes.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I only brought up the popular vote as an 'out' for the party- ie "see we did well there"

The point is the election was only about 10 states. Obama carried 9.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Fuck Allen West.
    ed wrong thread

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options

I am guessing that they will soften their broad party stance. It's hard for people who are more conservative but can't stand some of the stupid shit the GOP does to get behind them sometimes.

I'm actually fairly conservative myself on issues of immigration, but we need a fact-based pragmatic approach to illegal immigration. The distance from the GOP and facts is the Earth to the moon.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    2014 the GOP is going to get bloodied, but they will think it's because they are too moderate.

2016 will be the triple? quadruple? down on crazy. And it's going to be a horrifying and disgusting spectacle to watch. You think the LAST Republican Primary was fun? Just wait to see Christie, Jeb, Huntsman, and a half dozen nutjobs up on the stage together.

I can see them doing some shamelessly transparent pandering on immigration or women's issues that completely misses the point...but there are going to be some nasty primaries in 2014.

Anyone know NJ election law well enough to name odds on the Tea Party trying to primary Christie's re-election bid? Does NJ have open primaries that would allow an Operation Chaos style 'name the nutjob for Republican Candidate'? I know Christie is liked right now, but eventually the knives are coming back out.

Hey, I like Christie right now for Sandy, and I think he's one of the best Republicans out there...but I would still rather see him go down and make 2016 easier for the Dems. The honeymoon will end and knives come out soon enough.

• Options
    KolosusKolosus Registered User regular

I'm actually fairly conservative myself on issues of immigration, but we need a fact-based pragmatic approach to illegal immigration. The distance from the GOP and facts is the Earth to the moon.

I suppose I worded that wrongly. I am very conservative, but I think that the GOP needs to be more realistic in how they approach immigration.

• Options
    Even as someone with relatively bleeding heart liberal thoughts on immigration (let 'em all in as long as they aren't criminals!), I think it's a serious conversation that needs to be had, from a pragmatic and facts based point of view. Lets see if the GOP can do that.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    From what I was hearing from conservative pundits last night, they plan to double down on their ultra conservative line. If that's the case, they will get trounced in 2016 and then perhaps wake up to the reality of the situation.

I think it's going to take one more very clear defeat to wake the GOP up. It may actually happen as early as 2014, as there are quite a few house teapers up for reelection that year. If the obstructionism continues, I think the country has shown they are willing to throw Tea Party candidates out on their butts.

Keep in mind, the pundits on Fox are all part of the social right, so that's what they know. To a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. Furthermore, they're inconsequential when it comes to party leadership. They affect public opinion, but the leadership got a healthy dose of why you should lead them, not the other way around.

Jibba on
  • Options
    Well, we'll see pretty quickly just how willing the 'new' GOP is to realize they need to actually govern and not just obstruct on the hopes of "anything to oust Obama". Even if we kick-can the fiscal cliff down six months until the lame duck is out, it still has to happen in the relative near future. We'll see just how willing the GOP is to govern within the first part of 2013.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    Well, they literally can't run on "anything to oust Obama" anymore, which is a HUGE advantage. The added purpose of tanking during his last term was to get new leadership. That idea has been shot down, so attempting to tank is just outright doing a bad job with no other "advantage", like there was before.

Some of them ideologically oppose this stuff, but I think most of them don't and they were doing it for party line/the "greater good" of winning 2012.

• Options
    Well, we have to account for the Grover Norquist effect too. Don't forget most of the house GOP signed that stupid no taxes pledge. That will come back to bite them when (eventually) tax increases become a reality (which they will have to in any grand bargain).

Never forget that in many of these red states, they are more worried about primary challengers from the hard right then they are general elections.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I know Christie is liked right now, but eventually the knives are coming back out.

Hey, I like Christie right now for Sandy, and I think he's one of the best Republicans out there...but I would still rather see him go down and make 2016 easier for the Dems. The honeymoon will end and knives come out soon enough.
    This is disturbing, and I say that as a resident of NJ...

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The knives have already come out. Conservative pundits are already saying Christie "betrayed" them by embracing Obama as commander in chief in the wake if a disaster. They are mad he didn't play political pandering games with his state.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Even as someone with relatively bleeding heart liberal thoughts on immigration (let 'em all in as long as they aren't criminals!), I think it's a serious conversation that needs to be had, from a pragmatic and facts based point of view. Lets see if the GOP can do that.

Unfortunately, that's the situation for just about every issue on the table, not just immigration.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    The knives have already come out. Conservative pundits are already saying Christie "betrayed" them by embracing Obama as commander in chief in the wake if a disaster. They are made he didn't play political pandering games with his state.
    Oh, I'm not saying they are wrong, I'm just disturbed that this is how dumb our whole system has gotten.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Wulf wrote: »
    I know Christie is liked right now, but eventually the knives are coming back out.

What part do you find disturbing?

The left going after Christie, or the right eating one of their own?

It's wonderful to see both sides work together like this, and it would be amazing if both sides did this shit all the time, like they should. But really, at the end of the day, it's not like everyone shook hands and the world is rainbows and unicorns. Sandy is over, everyone did their job well, and now it's back to (mostly) status quo.

Aside from the fact that the right is VERY pissed at Christie for embracing Obama. They primaried Luger for less...

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

It's wonderful to see both sides work together like this, and it would be amazing if both sides did this shit all the time, like they should. But really, at the end of the day, it's not like everyone shook hands and the world is rainbows and unicorns. Sandy is over, everyone did their job well, and now it's back to (mostly) status quo.

Aside from the fact that the right is VERY pissed at Christie for embracing Obama. They primaried Luger for less...

And they just paid very dearly for that decision.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Republicans need to spend some time in the wilderness and not come back until their platform is somewhere around Obama's. That's what needs to happen, but probably they'll just get crazier and crazier and win a decent number of elections anyway while the Dems follow them into the abyss on economic issues.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2012
    I want the right to start shit with Christie.

Because Christie is the last guy in the fucking world who will back down from a fight. In fact, I see Christie reacting in classic Jersey Shore "come at me Bro!" at first republican who accuses him of failing because he put his citizens ahead of partisan politics to his face.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Yar wrote: »
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Personally, I want the Republican party to completely disintegrate. Followed by the Pro-Life Democrats breaking off into their own party, which I could then join.

Unfortunately, that's never going to happen.

I keep envisioning a two-party system that is more big-government vs. libertarian. The big-government party could probably get away with being pro-life democrats, and could get a lot of current dems and republicans to follow. I'm not as certain about that, though, as I am that a moderate Libertarian platform would appeal to a huge number of people, particulary current Republicans but also a ton of current Democrats as well.

Well, the problem is that those who are anti-abortion don't consider it a big-government issue.

I'm looking for more of a medium-government party. One that isn't afraid to solve collective action problems and raise taxes, but also recognizes that people can disagree on moral issues without being obviously evil and in need of re-education* (or Jesus).

* My primary word choice here is against leftists, but I'm not trying to pick on either side here. My grandmother thinks the Methodist church I go to is run by Satan, but then voted for a Mormon for President.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Something I saw on the NationalReview.com comments page. Surprisingly level-headed in a sea of dismay, anger and craziness.
    CDidioT • 5 hours ago −
    Have to dump the social conservatives, their time is done and their views are too easy to demagogue. Revise the stupid primary system where every Republican has to run to the right of Jerry Falwell and retards like Akin and Mordrac (or whatever that idiots name is) beat out people with brains. Romney would have been a great candidtate if he wasn't forced to run so far right to beat candidates with no business being in the race like Bachman and Perry and allowed the Dems to play their best cards, race and fear. The Republicans need to be way more Libertarian if they are going to have any future. For god's sake, Obama won a 2nd term with THE WORST four years post WWII. This party in its present form is DEAD.
    Show 3 new replies 22 4 •Reply•Share ›

kingofthenet CDidioT • 4 hours ago
    Absolutely, the Republican 'message' would go down a lot better without a heaping of Religious Doctrine and Bigotry on the side...
    8 4 •Reply•Share ›

VincentClement CDidioT • 4 hours ago
    I always find it amusing that the supposed party of 'small government' - which I also take to mean less government intrusion into our private lives - has a bunch of candidates that want to use the strong arm of government to dictate social and moral norms.
    11 4 •Reply•Share ›

fivekoverlibor CDidioT • 4 hours ago
    Karl Rove made a short-term deal in 2004 that has delivered sustained and profound consequences for this party. If I never see or hear him again, it will be too soon.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options

Oh, absolutely.

Do you think that they will learn from that lesson, or double down on the derp?

Remember, if you are drinking the kool-aid, it's easy to explain away Mourdock's loss over his 'rape babies = gift from god' being taken out of context by the liberal media.
    syndalis wrote: »
    I want the right to start shit with Christie.

Because Christie is the last guy in the fucking world who will back down from a fight. In fact, I see Christie reacting in classic Jersey Shore "come at me Bro!" at first republican who accuses him of failing because he put his citizens ahead of partisan politics to his face.

I do too. Because I see one of two things happening if they do.

Either they win / draw, and hurt one of their best shots in 2016, driving themselves that much further out into the wilderness. Hopefully the ass kicking they get in 2016 after losing Christie will help drive them back to the center.

Or, Christie wins and uses the capital he gets from that win to help lead the party back to a more levelheaded and less partisan approach. Bringing the party back to the center.

Either way, the rest of us 'win'. That much sooner we can drive that crazy out of politics and back to the fringe where it belongs. I don't agree with Christie on a lot of things, but as far as I can tell he seems to earnestly care and want to do a good job. We can do A LOT worse than him.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Right off that same page is an article explaining to the GOP that they shouldn't worry, a moderate republican was elected last night.

A little biased but I like the overall point he is making.

The final Quote in particular:
    article wrote:
    So don’t despair. Your country didn’t vote for a socialist tonight. It voted for the candidate of traditional Republican moderation. What should gall you, haunt you, and goad you to think about the future of your party is that that candidate wasn’t yours.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Fuck Allen West.
    ed wrong thread
    Every thread is Fuck Allen West thread[/i]

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    2014 the GOP is going to get bloodied, but they will think it's because they are too moderate.

2016 will be the triple? quadruple? down on crazy. And it's going to be a horrifying and disgusting spectacle to watch. You think the LAST Republican Primary was fun? Just wait to see Christie, Jeb, Huntsman, and a half dozen nutjobs up on the stage together.

In 2008 they got smashed after being bloodied in 2006.

They cried "not conservative enough".

In 2010 they had a sweeping victory with a series of far right candidates so "not conservative enough" was validated.

2012 They've been smacked around again and the cry, with not a little justification from past results, is "not conservative enough".

Whether the GOP get bloodied in 2014 is solely and entirely down to how well the Democratic machine gets out the vote. And that is dependent on building the correct narrative leading into 2014. There was no Democratic Party story going into 2010 and they paid the price. If the GOP get results again in the mid-terms (and even if they don't do "well" I don't think anything disastrous is going to happen to them) then they will not be any catalyst for change going into 2016 and barring a dreadful Democratic candidate the same cycle will be repeated again.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular

If you're a Democrat you must just be shaking your head in wonder and positively full to the brim of schadenfreude.
    The GOP is in a slow death spiral of Defeat, Conservative Retrenchment, Circular Firing Squads and Defeat.
    ---
    Bloomberg brought it up outright, TPM brought this up, and Krugman has vaguely alluded to it, but I wanted to ask it here.
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/dark_money_spending.php
    http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/07/wall-streets-bad-investment-decision/
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-08-31/exclusive-inside-karl-roves-billionaire-fundraiser
    Where did all the Dark Money Go?
    ---
    I guess what I'm trying to ask here is
    1. Did Karl Rove just flush 300 Million Dollars?
    2. Did Karl Rove Just con a bunch of incredibly Rich people in to giving him 300 million Dollars to spend on Coke and Hookers (and maybe tv ads if he feels like it)?
    ---
    Experience tells me 1, but oooh 2 is fun to think about.

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    I've had this nagging temptation to become Republican for a few years, but it's hard not to conclude that I am just waaaayyyyy to liberal.

But the debt ceiling crisis last summer had almost as much of an impact on me as 9/11. We have a system with a lot of checks in it - the nation can't afford a party that is absolutely insane. There are still some embers of Republican moderation/liberalism up here in New England.

I just don't know though. Do I really want to run into that burning building?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Speaker wrote: »
    I've had this nagging temptation to become Republican for a few years, but it's hard not to conclude that I am just waaaayyyyy to liberal.

But the debt ceiling crisis last summer had almost as much of an impact on me as 9/11. We have a system with a lot of checks in it - the nation can't afford a party that is absolutely insane. There are still some embers of Republican moderation/liberalism up here in New England.

My honest suggestion?

Register republican. Participate in the primary process. Get involved at the local level and try into introduce progressive (or at least sane) ideas to the party grass-roots, and try to get sane rational actors on the federal stage.

But vote for the democrat if your efforts fail (and the dem lines up with your needs better), and try again next time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

On a local level maybe but once they hit Congress the GOP wall of obstruction is still firmly in place. Like look at Scott Brown how much did his voting record really waver from the GOP norm? He voted for Kagan thats about all I can find where he went against the party line.

• Options
    It's tough to be part of a competitive group if you are always leaning toward betraying them.

I mean, the conservative movement is doing this constantly, but by sitting at home rather than outright voting for the party's main competition. That's a psychologically important distinction.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    It's tough to be part of a competitive group if you are always leaning toward betraying them.

I mean, the conservative movement is doing this constantly, but by sitting at home rather than outright voting for the party's main competition. That's a psychologically important distinction.
    But you aren't leaning towards betraying them. you are working to reform them and not rewarding them for being shitheels.

If enough people do it, it will a process that will correct itself over a decade or so. Which feels glacial, but is the blink of an eye in national politics.

edit: or nobody could do it, the pubs will dig in deeper, and the latino vote gives Texas to the democrats.

You know, whatever.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Hell, it's a simple as this: Republicans just need to recognize that immigration control is protectionist economics, and that the conservative, freedom-loving, 'Murrkin point-of-view is to welcome them, employ them, and compete with them, not build walls to keep them out. Latinos are religious, family-oriented, pro-life, and focused on hard work over handouts. They are nascent Republicans, people. But they are on the verge of adopting Democrats as a cultural norm.

Rubio 2016!

EDIT: I'd also be in favor of a Speaker/Yar Republican ticket in 2016, too. Have your people call my people.

Yar on
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    --
    syndalis wrote: »

But you aren't leaning towards betraying them. you are working to reform them and not rewarding them for being shitheels.

If enough people do it, it will a process that will correct itself over a decade or so. Which feels glacial, but is the blink of an eye in national politics.

edit: or nobody could do it, the pubs will dig in deeper, and the latino vote gives Texas to the democrats.

You know, whatever.

My feelings tell me there is a huge market for the conservative brand about 10 degrees to the right of Obama.
    Something like
    Modern Conservative Fiscal Insanity (Lower Taxes, Lower Spending! The only thing that matches it's stupidity is it's popularity with the Electorate)
    Libertarian Social Values (Hate the Sinner, but It ain't my business to Say anything about it, or the Big Tent of Christianity)
    Pro-Immigration (Srsly this is a no brainier)
    Pro-Gun
    Anti-Racism (No really blacks and Latino's we love you, but we hate and fear the Jews and the Asians)
    Anti-China
    Pro-War with Iran/North Korea (Because nothing makes you feel strong like a willingness to rattle your saber at second rate regional powers)

You know Basically Mit 1.2 and Hucabee.
    ---
    As long as the Republican Party is the last refuge of White Men, it will continue to get crushed, with the occasional reactionary victories (Like 2010) here or there.

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Seruko wrote: »
    I guess what I'm trying to ask here is
    1. Did Karl Rove just flush 300 Million Dollars?
    2. Did Karl Rove Just con a bunch of incredibly Rich people in to giving him 300 million Dollars to spend on Coke and Hookers (and maybe tv ads if he feels like it)?
    ---
    Experience tells me 1, but oooh 2 is fun to think about.

Personally, hoping for 2 here.

• Options
    Yar wrote: »
    Hell, it's a simple as this: Republicans just need to recognize that immigration control is protectionist economics, and that the conservative, freedom-loving, 'Murrkin point-of-view is to welcome them, employ them, and compete with them, not build walls to keep them out. Latinos are religious, family-oriented, pro-life, and focused on hard work over handouts. They are nascent Republicans, people. But they are on the verge of adopting Democrats as a cultural norm.

Rubio 2016!

EDIT: I'd also be in favor of a Speaker/Yar Republican ticket in 2016, too. Have your people call my people.

It's tough to fit "quarrelsome contrarians" on a yard sign.

This discussion has been closed.