As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, November 8, 2012 - Oligarch

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Oligarch

Oligarch
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/oligarch

The Shit-talking Tyrannosaurus

Anonymous

My second job ever just happened to be as a tester at Activision in 1999. You don’t need to edit that, because I have absolutely no plans to ever work at Activision again. The industry back then was *different*. Different in a good way, where people could have fun, express themselves openly, and have direct lines of communication to developers.

QA testers at Activision’s Santa Monica office were all corralled into the basement level of the building, and we called it the Vault. While there, I had foolish aspirations of being an artist. Foolish because what I didn’t realize at the time was that I sucked. I was awful. I would spend my lunch-hours drawing, and caught some flak for it by my co-workers, as it was all I’d ever do.

I’m mentioning this because one day my Lead pulled me aside as I walked past, and we had the following conversation:

Him: “Why the hell did you do this?”
Me:  “What? What are you talking about?”

He stood aside, and behind him on a large whiteboard was a crude drawing of a Tyrannosaurus Rex wearing sunglasses. There was a word bubble next to the dinosaur, and within were the words “I’m a T-Rex! I eat shit! Shit shit shitty shit shitty shit shit!”

It’s been twelve years, but I remember this precisely, word for word. I was 18, and while stupid, this was hilarious.

I laughed. He didn’t.

This was not my work. I couldn’t draw to save my life, but THIS? Whoever drew this not only lacked ability but all common sense. There were people in suits walking around the Vault every now and then, showing off the area to other people in suits, and the chances this shit-talking dinosaur would be noticed in such a high-traffic area were quite high. My Lead was skeptical as to my innocence.

Him: “Dude, I realize you love to draw and all that, but this isn’t cool. You can’t just go around writing “shit” on the walls.”
Me: “I didn’t do this! Come on, Really?”
Him: “You’re always drawing, dude.”
Me: “There are almost 100 people working down here, man. Surely someone else is capable of drawing a crappy dinosaur with shades.”

I was laid off a few days later. They never said why, but I knew.

Geth on

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    free-to-play makes good money until the dirtbag company that owns you decides it's not enough money somehow and they have to recoup losses from their other half-assed projects and they decide to kill the MMO out of the blue even when it was profitable

not that i'm bitter

or anything

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That story makes me sad :(

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    "It was so good back in the old days when they'd fire someone because he was the lonely weird guy who drew during his lunch breaks"

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's a little contradictory. Also 13 years is not "back then."

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    He was 18 at the time. That's almost half his life span. Wait until he's older.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    "thursty"?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Because it's Thursday. Thursty Thursdays. Not Thirsty Thirsdays.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Also note there is another story if you go back a page (no comic tuesday, apparently?)

E- It's a secret to everyone!

El Skid on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah, we actually talked about the Tuesday story a fair bit in the comic thread for the last installment.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh man. I'm the guy at all my jobs that draws on any whiteboard / chalk boards available. Thankfully my hand-writing and drawing have distinct slants to them so I can never be set up for crap like this. I'm also not dumb enough to draw or write offensive shit though. Not in the workplace.