As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailer for [Dark Souls] sequel shown at VGA, PC and dedicated servers promised. *squeal!*

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Freakin' awesome. I'm definitely going Dex then. Can't resist the option of using faster weapons, bows, etc. And I'm already at 22 or 23 End, so I'm well on my way to 40. Sucks that Pyro's Dex started out so low, but it's not a big deal.

• Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular
    Also as a Pyro, the higher your Dex the faster your casting speed.

• Options
    That's even better. Dex is definitely the way I want to go then.

It'll suck when fighting fire-immune enemies, but I should be able to handle that.

• Options
    WalkerWalker BlightyRegistered User regular
    Get yourself a nicely upgraded lightning weapon for those moments

• Options
    <3 you guys

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Playing Dex with the Scimitar. By two-handing it and running at shield-spear-guys screaming and smashing through their shields.
    Have a good shield, though, so I'm countering, too. Keeping things mixed up. So far staying light and mobile, but managed some Poise anyway.
    Scimitar wasn't single-hitty enough for a tough backstab, so tried a Zweihander. Still had to run away, luring him to where I could deftly parkour-step on a ledge to plunge at him from above. Mini-plunges work on everything.
    Got a smaller sword that moves even slower and hits even harder. Forgot to pick up an item he was guarding before heading back, though, so I ran past all of the enemies, grabbed the item, waited for them to crowd into a stairway and caused a bloodbath while they were all tangled up in eachother, before relaxing by the fire and polishing my stuff.

It's @MorningLord 's kind of game.

PLA on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

It'll suck when fighting fire-immune enemies, but I should be able to handle that.

The casting speed reduction only takes effect from 35-45 dex by the way.

• Options
    Xagar wrote: »

The casting speed reduction only takes effect from 35-45 dex by the way.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    My Dex/End Pyro character decimates shit with the Tracers.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I do appreciate that if you ever get a stupid amount of enemies, the best solution is more often then not, a shield, a spear, and a narrow corridor.

• Options
    I like the basic dagger I bought. I'll try a run with it.

Maybe I should try some jolly co-operation against the demon I gutted. That guy packed a mean wallop, but didn't hurt so much as fling me. And he wasn't very aggressive.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I was wondering why I was having so much trouble with Sif, as he is clearly the next boss I should be fighting. I was dealing piddly damage to him. So I resorted to the wiki to see where I should go to grind a bit, and it turned out I should be in The Depths instead. Haven't been there yet. Hadn't even fought the Bell Gargoyles. I somehow missed the ladder up to them.

They were easy at my comparatively advanced level, so I kind of ruined the challenge there.

But skipping The Depths would explain why all the enemies in the forest felt like they were about 10 levels too high for me.

Also I killed that fucking Demonstone Lightning Staff Fucker. Fuck that guy.

But hey, The Depths should be a cakewalk compared to that, right?

Renzo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    When you see frogs with big eyes? Go give them a hug.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Speaking of enemies who just need hugs: Smaugh and Ornstein.

I dunno what to do with 'em. If I kill Smaugh first, easy enough because my +4 Lightning Spear kills him in like a dozen hits total, then super Ornstein would take about 50+ swings of my spear to kill, seems to move too fast for me to try pulling out the Black Knight Sword, and is far too dangerous and likely to fire off his unblockable to hit with pyromancy. If I try to beat Ornstein first, I'm faced with the problem that he's flighty as hell, tends to respond to a chaos fireball even after his most delayed attack by jumping and stabbing me in the face, and he takes a lot of hits. I can semi reliably hit him with Great Combustion, so I *might* try just using Great Combustion and Combustion to wear him down with semi quick jolts. After that, I feel like Lighting Smaugh shouldn't be super tough as long as his moveset isn't more expanded than I know and he's still weak to my lightning spear.

Or I could just go to the Painted World (or the depths, if I want to travel and get far less souls) and farm humanity from rats to summon myself a Solaire.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Humanity and humans in general are presented as something creepy-crawly from the depths of darkness.

"Then they came."

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Speaking of enemies who just need hugs: Smaugh and Ornstein.

I dunno what to do with 'em. If I kill Smaugh first, easy enough because my +4 Lightning Spear kills him in like a dozen hits total, then super Ornstein would take about 50+ swings of my spear to kill, seems to move too fast for me to try pulling out the Black Knight Sword, and is far too dangerous and likely to fire off his unblockable to hit with pyromancy. If I try to beat Ornstein first, I'm faced with the problem that he's flighty as hell, tends to respond to a chaos fireball even after his most delayed attack by jumping and stabbing me in the face, and he takes a lot of hits. I can semi reliably hit him with Great Combustion, so I *might* try just using Great Combustion and Combustion to wear him down with semi quick jolts. After that, I feel like Lighting Smaugh shouldn't be super tough as long as his moveset isn't more expanded than I know and he's still weak to my lightning spear.

Or I could just go to the Painted World (or the depths, if I want to travel and get far less souls) and farm humanity from rats to summon myself a Solaire.
    What level are you? I have a level fifty-something sorcerer hanging around, and murderizing Pikachu and Snorlax with sorcery is really quite pitifully easy. I'd be willing to help.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    Yeah S&O are pretty easy if you have some kind of potent ranged ability to start it. I used lightning bolts to brutalize Smough in like 8 hits, and then I just went solo against Ornstein.

I remember taking like 10 tries the first time to beat Ornstein this way, but somehow I remembered ALL his moves a year later and beat him the first try this time around. If he jumps straight up, back away with your shield up. If he gets ready to use his impale attack (you need to figure out what this looks like, hard to explain) I think you roll forward and to the right to avoid it, if I recall correctly. Even then he homes in sometimes, it's a pain. But if you have enough defense and vit it only takes like 1/3 of your HP off (I was level 55 or so).

Other than those moves, the "hold shield up and circle counter clockwise" strategy is the way to go.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Huh. The dagger is just plain better against anything flimsy enough to be staggered by it.

Scratch that, Black Knight Sword wins if I use dashing attacks. Edit: Plus it hits through walls.

Edit: Getting summoned is hard.

Edit: Yaay, co-operation!

PLA on
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    Anyone on PS3 want to help a lvl 77 tank through Lost Izalith in the next half hour or so?

Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    Yeah, I think I'm just gonna waltz outside and grab myself some humanity to summon some kind of help. My humanity had interesting results leading to me burning through it, though. I got invaded by a guy with homing soul mass and got instagibbed, I got killed through a wall because my summoned buddy wanted to fight the titanite demon, and my batteries ran out. At least the bosses are close enough you only need to fight two enemies and run past a couple more to get to them.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Smashed by Havel twice while summoned. How embarrassing.
    I'm trying to get behind him, but I can't judge where he'll swing yet.

• Options
    He swings wherever you are when he releases it, but he winds up towards where you first are. It's not too tricky to get used to, but it means he spins really fucking fast. CCW walking with a shield up still works, and with like 20 endurance you can even just block his slam.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    So I need some advice, I think I fixed my problem, but it's still bugging the shit out of me.

My Dex character nearly hit a wall on Artorias if it wasn't for the fact I had a Black knight's sword and just annihilated him that way.

I have a stupid amount of endurance for my level(34 endurance), and a decent smount of Dex(27). My initial plan was fast rolling in brass armor and poking him to death with Ricards Rapier.

But as it turns out, a +2 lighting RR does jack shit to him. As does a +10 Katana(the Uchiwhatever). As does a +2 Quelaag's Furysword.

Do I just need to pump Dex more? I was hoping to start pumping faith for my Darkmoon build but that's a fantasy unless I can solve my damage problem.

• Options
    Oh, I have 20. I don't have a lot of stability, though. I'll try it next time anyway.
    But yay, second success! Two-handing this greatsword works well. At this rate, I could become a sunbro soon.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    So I need some advice, I think I fixed my problem, but it's still bugging the shit out of me.

My Dex character nearly hit a wall on Artorias if it wasn't for the fact I had a Black knight's sword and just annihilated him that way.

I have a stupid amount of endurance for my level(34 endurance), and a decent smount of Dex(27). My initial plan was fast rolling in brass armor and poking him to death with Ricards Rapier.

But as it turns out, a +2 lighting RR does jack shit to him. As does a +10 Katana(the Uchiwhatever). As does a +2 Quelaag's Furysword.

Do I just need to pump Dex more? I was hoping to start pumping faith for my Darkmoon build but that's a fantasy unless I can solve my damage problem.

If you enchanted the rapier with lightning then it lost it's scaling bonus, so your stats are meaningless. Either fully upgrade it to +10 lightning for the high base damage, or revert the enchant and take it up the normal reinforcement path so you get massive bonus damage from your DEX.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Artorias has high magic resistance, and well in general you will be doing crap damage to him anyways (Best I could do was 170 with the jump attack) so it's an endurance fight, to see who slips first.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Sometimes it's really hard to tell where the summoner wants to go. Also, dark spirits keep killing my summoners.

Edit: It's fun to be the big damn hero.

Edit: Does anything happen if you hand in more than 10 Sunlight Medals?
    And wow, it only took fivehundred arrows? I was expecting to finish the drake up close, but for some reason a chunk of his health was suddenly gone. Must have hit a weak spot or something.

PLA on
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Artorias has high magic resistance, and well in general you will be doing crap damage to him anyways (Best I could do was 170 with the jump attack) so it's an endurance fight, to see who slips first.

I can see that. I ended up just going DMC on him(super light armor, BK Greatsword +4, it's how I killed him on my Artorias build.). But that method always feels a bit cheap since an upgraded BK greatsword does a stupid amount of damage with minimal stats(200+).

Which is great. Almost too great because I litterally end up falling back onto that setup every single time a boss laughs at my Rapier(WHICH IS ALOT). I think I will de-enchant that Rapier for weapon buffs though.

I think my build just needs time to get decent dex and actual faith in order to use the weapon buffs. The Cirian set and weapons are FUCKING AMAZING too, so I can probably do that for the rest of the game until NG+.

But now I'm playing a HAVEL'S OR BUST strength build and HITTING THINGS LIKE A MAN is surprisingly fun.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. it might not be good for PVP, but just having the largest most destructive murder weapon possible is just so satisfying.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    That's what I have at the moment. 46 str, demon's great axe +15 and has an S for STR scaling. 600 damage basic attacks.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    That's what I have at the moment. 46 str, demon's great axe +15 and has an S for STR scaling. 600 damage basic attacks.

I imagine in PvP that they'll try to get around you, but they better pray your swing doesn't connect otherwise it's goodnight.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    It is basically useless in pvp yes. Although I still run under 50% weight capacity so I can still strafe in circles and backstab fish like most other pvpers. Does over 1000 damage.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ragdolling things across the floor is fun.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Not quite as fun for me as using the zweihander power attack and just plowing them into the floor.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Not quite as fun for me as using the zweihander power attack and just plowing them into the floor.

The Abyss Greatsword's two-handed R2 is the most fun for this. Jumping at people and slamming them into the floor, what's not to like?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    I was wondering why I was having so much trouble with Sif, as he is clearly the next boss I should be fighting. I was dealing piddly damage to him. So I resorted to the wiki to see where I should go to grind a bit, and it turned out I should be in The Depths instead. Haven't been there yet. Hadn't even fought the Bell Gargoyles. I somehow missed the ladder up to them.

They were easy at my comparatively advanced level, so I kind of ruined the challenge there.

But skipping The Depths would explain why all the enemies in the forest felt like they were about 10 levels too high for me.

Also I killed that fucking Demonstone Lightning Staff Fucker. Fuck that guy.

But hey, The Depths should be a cakewalk compared to that, right?

Sometimes I forget how open this game is. At first the idea that anyone could be poking Sif without having killed the Gargoyles just seemed impossible, but then I remembered the lack of locked doors, and how someone with the Master Key could be down in the Demon Ruins before ringing the bell, and my mind exploded.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    For Dex boss-killing weapons, you want the Great Scythe or the Painting Guardian Blade upgraded to 15 and enchanted with something. Ricard's Rapier is mostly for things that can be parried and backstabbed.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    With the Master Key, you can see the Hydra thing before fighting the Taurus Demon. So yeah, sequence breaking all over the place.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    With the master key, the taurus and capra demons are entirely optional, as is all of the depths. Even without it the depths and capra can be skipped.

I love how the level layout of this game all fits together.

• Options
    Finally rescued the Pyro merchant. Upgraded my pyro glove to +5 and bought some spells. Running around with 3 spells instead of the default one AND doing more damage per spell is blowing my mind.

Also killed the giant toothy dragon in the Depths with the help of two awesome summoned players. They even cut the tail first to get me the axe.

On to Blighttown!

I'm so, so scared.

This discussion has been closed.