Options

NETWORKING! or not...

So I can't get my Win7 lappytop and my Vista PC to get together.

I want to map a hard drive from the vista machine to my win 7 system, but I can't get the old machine to allow access. I've been able to map the lap top's C drive on the PC, through adding full access to the "NETWORK" via "Properties -> Security", but I can't get the opposite to work. I imagine that this is much less secure than it ought to be.

Clicking on the old computer in the network folder immediately displays a denial dialogue box. I'm also unable to remove or change the password protect option in the network and sharing settings in Vista. I've tried several options I've seen online but no go.

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    What are the security settings for the the folder you are trying to map?

Is this a local (ie your home) network? Might be worth saving the hassle and just do an "Everyone" allow all access

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Can you do a homegroup on Vista? Probably the easiest way.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Homegroup is only on Win7 (and 8 , presumably).

I've been too busy working to try your suggestion, smokmnky.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I'm only able to change/add permissions on the individual drives and their contents, which has no effect on accessing the computer from the network since access is denied before I get to that point.

Under the Network and Sharing Center, public file sharing is granted for anyone with network access, but the heading says a password is required.

Z8tcR.jpg

I can click "Turn off password protected sharing" and the "apply" button, but nothing happens.

I've tried several things in the administrative tools, the registry, stuff related to the guest account and other 'solutions' offered on the internet with no luck.