As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fighting God

2»

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Final Fantasy XII's final battle (and overarching story) is basically about breaking the hold that the gods have over regular beings

I haven't played XII, but isn't that XIII's story? Or do both these Final Fantasies have similar stories?

Well,
    XII's version of Ivalice is ruled over by a race of what might as well be gods who exert their influence on the world through magicite. Each of them is hideously powerful, but they interact with us through magicite because it allows them to control the power structure of Ivalice without interacting with us directly and putting them at risk.

Everything that happens in XII is a direct result of the actions of Venat, a rogue god who is very specifically out to free the world from the yolk of the gods. Venat attaches itself to the cause of Vayne Solidor, sending the heroes up against all the power it can provide, as well as those of the other gods. When they get to it, Venat says that its plan has borne out more perfectly than could have been hoped for, but there is one last piece that is missing.

Then it fights you to the death, proving that, on top of everything else, the people of Ivalice can kill the gods.

After that battle, no god dares to interfere with Ivalice again

I don't know if XIII is like that?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's only explicit that Arceus created Sinnoh, but we generally shrug and say it created everything. Why not?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy XII's final battle (and overarching story) is basically about breaking the hold that the gods have over regular beings

I haven't played XII, but isn't that XIII's story? Or do both these Final Fantasies have similar stories?

Well,
    XII's version of Ivalice is ruled over by a race of what might as well be gods who exert their influence on the world through magicite. Each of them is hideously powerful, but they interact with us through magicite because it allows them to control the power structure of Ivalice without interacting with us directly and putting them at risk.

Everything that happens in XII is a direct result of the actions of Venat, a rogue god who is very specifically out to free the world from the yolk of the gods. Venat attaches itself to the cause of Vayne Solidor, sending the heroes up against all the power it can provide, as well as those of the other gods. When they get to it, Venat says that its plan has borne out more perfectly than could have been hoped for, but there is one last piece that is missing.

Then it fights you to the death, proving that, on top of everything else, the people of Ivalice can kill the gods.

After that battle, no god dares to interfere with Ivalice again

I don't know if XIII is like that?

Not really, I guess.
    The world of Coccoon is ruled over by the fal'Cie, a race of humungously powerful Machine Gods who basically run everything. From time to time, one of these fal'Cie marks a regular human, turning them into a l'Cie, and gives them some task to accomplish. If the l'Cie doesn't accomplish said task in time they basically turn into zombies. If they do accomplish the task in time they turn into crystal.

The group of dysfunctional basket cases and Sazh that have to pass as Our Heroes get turned into l'Cie by the so-called Pulse fal'Cie (the 'evil' fal'Cie from the hellish World Below) and now they have to figure out what to do. In the end the group decides that having their lives completely dictated by the whims of the fal'Cie kinda sucks and so they turn against them, eventually winning themselves and all of humanity their freedom.

There's also some other stuff, but it's mostly stupid.

• Options
    freelancepolicefreelancepolice Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The Simpsons game (the 360/ps3 one)
    You fought god at the end. It was the goofy DDR/Guitar hero parody. I quite enjoyed the game but then it only cost me £4

freelancepolice on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular

The way it's presented is somewhat different.

• Options
    EumerinEumerin Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Wasn't "God" in Xenogears just like a ship's computer or something?

It was a planetary defense system that had been loaded onboard the Eldridge for transport. On the other hand, it also created the civilization that existed on the planet. Or in other words, while it's not technically what we might think of as "God" or even "a god", it could probably be argued in due to its status as "creator".