As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adding a wireless network to an existing network

TPSouTPSou MrRegistered User regular
I'm currently renting a room in a house and we are wired up with Sky Broadband (we're in the UK) I used one of those power socket things to get a wired connection to my room since the wireless doesn't quite reach it reliably and we have lots of electrical devices in quite a small space. I'd like to be able to just plug the wired connection into a cheap wireless router in my room, and then run everything in my room off my router. Is this easy to do? And what's the cheapest router I can get away with that will get the job done? This looks ok -->http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR841N-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

So the setup will be Sky Modem/router (it is one device)-->Ethernet cable-->router in my room-->my devices (2 xboxes, a PC, a Wii U, a PS3 and some mobile devices)

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, but you'll need to do some configuration on the new router. In general you really only want to have a single DHCP server on your network, and the router that's connected to your modem (or that contains your modem) is already set up as the server, so you'll want to configure the router in your room to not act as a DHCP server. Some routers have simple "Access Point" setting dealies that you enable and it makes that change auto-magically. Along with that you'll probably want to change the wireless network's SSID and password. Basically what you end up with is that the ethernet ports function like a standard switch, and a new wireless connection with a unique SSID and password that you can access. Virtually any router will do the job, it really depends on how fast you want the router to be.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    This all worked in case anyone else is trying the same thing. Some shenanigans (you have to plug the first router into the second router's normal LAN ports rather than the internet port) and changing the IP address of the second one, but other than that it's gone off without a hitch. Working great right now.