Options

The 4 day week

V1mV1m Registered User regular
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21242782

Has the time come? I'd suggest that the "normal" 5-day week is an artefact of factory requirements that no longer reasonably apply to the huge majority of jobs.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    The four day work-week is so good. After cutting back my hours, and taking a slight cut in pay, I now have Friday off and it feels like such a massive change with the weekend being proper time off and not just a holding pattern for Monday.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    My dad's recently switched to four-day weeks on flex time (as kind of a half-step toward retirement) and he is happier than I've seen him in years.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The Depression was what entrenched the five-day week for the United States - when employment recovered, hours worked per week did not, with the missing hours coming largely from the shorter hours - although as part of a longer labour-market evolution up through to the 1950s. The Depression (and then WW2) was merely the institutional trigger that enabled en masse shift to a five-day week.

The alternative - which dominated the pre-WW1 and post-1950 world - is that instead of shorter work-weeks, people put that freed time toward shorter days, more flexible schedules, more holidays, or (predominantly in the post-1950 world) longer and longer schooling and retirement. If people pursue individual flex-time, then there's no mass adoption of Friday in particular off, and so no four-day week.

So four-day weeks don't seem likely, simply because the coordination seems unlikely, unless perhaps as the Islamic world completely industrializes a couple of decades from now. Already a number consider Friday a half-day, the way Saturday was a half-day before it disappeared completely.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'd love to move to a four day week, but I work in an industry that charges per hour. We'd have to increase our fee rates to reflect out increased efficiency and I doubt that would go over well with clients.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    The last time I read about this, I dimly recall an author remarking that there would be no three-day week after the four-day week, since it creates the other three days of the week automatically as an alternate work-week, where presumably the service industries would focus in order to acquire all the now-weekending office workers as customers.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'd love to move to a four day week, but I work in an industry that charges per hour. We'd have to increase our fee rates to reflect out increased efficiency and I doubt that would go over well with clients.

Seems to work for banks and utility companies.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've heard interesting stuff about 3:3 - work three days, then three days off. But that only works for places that run seven days a week.

• Options

Why would working 4x 10 hour days instead of 5x 8 hour days necessitate this?

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I've heard interesting stuff about 3:3 - work three days, then three days off. But that only works for places that run seven days a week.

Places that only run 5 days a week only do so because lots of other places do as well.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Because of the failures of my basic arithmetic.

Also because standard hours (in my experience) are 9 till 5:30, so there's slightly less time in four days of 8 till 6.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I've worked 4x 10 and 2x11/2x9 shifts, and I love them.

Tacking on two or three hours into a workday doesn't change how long a typical work day feels very much, but having an extra day off is huge. And among other things, it gives you a day off during the week, making it significantly easier to get into government offices, doctors offices, dentists, etc.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Every NHS trust I've worked at uses Long Days; 3 12.5 hour shifts for 3 weeks, then a 4 day week on the 4th week. So we still only do 37.5 hours per week.

It never works out though, permanent staff are constantly overworking on promise of days off. :I

On the plus side, if you work a hellish 3 days (or 4 D: ) in a row, you get a nice long break after.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I work 4 days on a rotating schedule which has the nice benefit of giving me five or 6 days off every few months. Sometimes I'll only have two days off instead of three, which still makes me very happy.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah I worked a 4X10 scheduled and you get used to it really quickly.

It helped that I was able to come to work one hour early and then leave and hour later, so I didn't feel like my entire evening was killed.

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

The only time I see that pattern is with nurses, doctors, firemen... basically all the jobs with 24/7 manning. Their work schedule is not one I would want (24 hour shifts).

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    4 day work week is less likely in my mind than an increased shift to telework. The more industries (and obviously there are some where this won't ever happen) that involve going to a building and sitting at a desk to work grow, the more the potential for simply sitting at your own desk at home does. Combine that with reduction in travel costs, which ties into environmental concerns and quality of life for pretty much everyone, and it feels like a win-win.

I had a professor a few years back who was telling us that, IIRC, South Korea has pushed hard on people to work from home more and more, to the benefit of all.

• Options

Also because standard hours (in my experience) are 9 till 5:30, so there's slightly less time in four days of 8 till 6.

Are you factoring in 1 less lunchbreak...?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Gah, not having to work 40+ hours a week would be awesome, but unfortunately it is already god damned impossible to find any job at all, so a job that would allow me to also work the hours I would enjoy sounds like magical fairy land.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I worked 4x10 w/ Monday off for two years after my daughter was born and loved it. The days don't feel that much longer, but you really notice the third day on the weekend.

We saved a lot on child care expenses and let us move a lot of chores like laundry and grocery shopping out of the weekend, so Saturday and Sunday were more relaxing instead of trying to get shit done and run around. Plus, one less day of having to get up, get ready, commute in, etc made a big difference...for me it was about an hour and a half more time.

I actually got more done too, because there was less beginning and end of day fuckoff time, and less of a chance I'd be getting working hard in the afternoon and then it would be time to get home, or I'd have to stop what I was doing to get something else done that had to be finished by the end of the day.

It was really the only thing I liked about my old job, and I was disappointed I had to give it up when I quit.

The biggest downside is that with ten hour days, you really feel like you are working, home, then going to bed...but for me having every weekend be a three day weekend mostly made up for it. It DID make the work-week fly by.

A lot of places around here do 'summer hours', where in the summer it's 4x9 and then a half day on Friday. It's less common since the economy tanked though, because employers don't need to offer those kinds of things to retain people anymore.

Telecommuting is odd, because it seemed like that's the way everything was going about a decade or so ago, but then places stopped doing that and even made people working from home come in. I can see why that's necessary some places, but realistically between Skype, e-mail, and the VPN I can do about 95% of my work from home just as easily as I can from my desk here at work. If I only came into work one or two days a week, I could probably do everything I can now.

• Options
    OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    I switched to 4/10's back in the fall. I like it, because I can use the extra day to go snowboarding without it being a madhouse. Plus Mondays suck a little bit less when you don't have to work. My only gripe is that I used to get off at 2:30 and beat all the traffic. Now at 4:30, my commute home is twice as long, so it feels like I get home and have barely any time left in the day. I'm actually considering going back to 5/8's for summer and doing 4/10's in the winter.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • Options

5 day week, 9 till 5:30:
    8.5hrs a day
    42.5hrs a week
    5hrs total lunch (if we assume a 1hr lunch break)
    37.5 working hours a week

4days week, 8 till 6:
    10hrs a day
    40hrs a week
    4hrs total lunch
    36 working hours a week

The argument being made here is that you would offset that lost hour and a half through the improved efficiency. I was pointing out that any business which bills hourly would have to up prices if they moved to this scheme.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I work at a company that calls other companies, so we're dependent on when specific sectors work - we know not to call hairdressers on Mondays and schools on Wednesday and Friday afternoons, for example. This kind of upheaval would be a major headache unless every single workplace changed at once.

If I were in another line of work, I'd only enjoy an extra day off if it was unusual; when I worked flexible hours it was really useful being able to go to the bank or government buildings when there weren't long queues. If everybody else gets the same time off, that advantage is lost.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

5 day week, 9 till 5:30:
    8.5hrs a day
    42.5hrs a week
    5hrs total lunch (if we assume a 1hr lunch break)
    37.5 working hours a week

4days week, 8 till 6:
    10hrs a day
    40hrs a week
    4hrs total lunch
    36 working hours a week

The argument being made here is that you would offset that lost hour and a half through the improved efficiency. I was pointing out that any business which bills hourly would have to up prices if they moved to this scheme.

Most places I worked just had 11 hour 10 hour workdays. 8 to 7. Or whatever. With a one hour unpaid lunch.

Actually worked out well, because we were able to service our west coast customers better and were large enough that we didn't lose anything being open a different number of days than people worked.

11 hours, with a 45 minute drive each way did make it kinda a long day.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I work at a company that calls other companies, so we're dependent on when specific sectors work - we know not to call hairdressers on Mondays and schools on Wednesday and Friday afternoons, for example. This kind of upheaval would be a major headache unless every single workplace changed at once.

If I were in another line of work, I'd only enjoy an extra day off if it was unusual; when I worked flexible hours it was really useful being able to go to the bank or government buildings when there weren't long queues. If everybody else gets the same time off, that advantage is lost.

Not everyone has to work the same 4 days.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That'd make it even worse in my line of work, then.

The leisure industry would have to be restructured as well, if they can't rely on weekends being peak hours. Could be good for them, could be bad.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I don't get the thrust behind this. You're being paid for your time regardless of whether your salary or hourly. Even if you aren't actively working while you are reading this at work, you're a resource that can be tapped.

• Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    That'd make it even worse in my line of work, then.

The leisure industry would have to be restructured as well, if they can't rely on weekends being peak hours. Could be good for them, could be bad.

Yes. If everyone had their own third day off, I'd never know if a given client or vendor would answer the phone when I called. Annoying.

Also, I work 5x11 hour weeks, so this conversation doesn't really apply to me.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The military, at least the commands I've been at, have been doing half days on Friday for some time now.

And even now then same question everyone asks is "Why the Hell are we here for half the day we finished all our work Thursday."

• Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I just find "working for X hours" stupid. We have a lot of technology that allows us to be more productive than ever. You should be paid to generate (your salary * x) money for whoever you work with and there's that. Otherwise people are generating more and more money for the company each days in exchange for a smaller and smaller piece of the cake. If your production can't be measured in money (i.e scientists) then I'm sure there is another measurable objective that you can pick.

If thanks to technology and your talent you can earn your salary in 3 days, than yay for you. If you are a lazy bastard you will have to work longer hours.

Of course there's the problem of the company saying "nu-huh, you only produced (x-3) because we say so", but that's what we are supposed to have laws for.

Australopitenico on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Yeah, changing to "I get paid to do X" rather than "I get paid to be here for 8 hours a day" would be great, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Most of the jobs I've ever had, have had quotas or something similar...and those quotas were almost always easily covered by halfway through the day if you were competent.

Hell, my current job has me in at 6am to get a report out at 8:30...and then I generally don't have jack shit else to do save sporadic editing/HTML work. I could easily accomplish my entire job from home and in maybe, 4 total hours each day.

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    I would love for this to be a thing.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Back when Briggs and Stratton were making shit in america, I worked a factory job where I worked 3 12 hour days, got paid 4 bonus hours, and was treated as a full time employee.

The shift was terrible (5am to 5pm), but the 4 days off were so goddamned sweet.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I haven't tried a 4x10 schedule, but I did do a 3x12 + 4x12 schedule for a while and loathed it. Although, the fact that it was in a windowless room with little human contact and every week I worked friday and saturday probably didn't help

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    I would love for this to be a thing if only to marginally reduce the opportunities for casual exploitation that most people who work any set shift experiences.

I have never, ever, worked an office job whereupon finishing what was expected of me sooner than expected that I wasn't given more responsibilities that should not have been mine. And, sooner than later, those extra responsibilities simply become yours, without any impact on your pay or title. Because, well, you're there, are you not going to do what your boss tells you to?

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I just find "working for X hours" stupid. We have a lot of technology that allows us to be more productive than ever. You should be paid to generate (your salary * x) money for whoever you work with and there's that. Otherwise people are generating more and more money for the company each days in exchange for a smaller and smaller piece of the cake. If your production can't be measured in money (i.e scientists) then I'm sure there is another measurable objective that you can pick.

If thanks to technology and your talent you can earn your salary in 3 days, than yay for you. If you are a lazy bastard you will have to work longer hours.

Of course there's the problem of the company saying "nu-huh, you only produced (x-3) because we say so", but that's what we are supposed to have laws for.

I think the majority of jobs don't lend themselves to this kind of production metric, rather than it being the exception. I mean, I work in software development. Judging programmer output is notoriously difficult, which is to say nothing of QA, design, management, legal, usability, PR, sales, and whatever else the people in this building do. I don't think we have a single job here that could be effectively assigned a weekly quota.

I think the real problem is less that we have 5 day work weeks and more that we (particularly in the US) have this fetishization of work. You're not a good worker, no matter how well you do your job, unless you work a lot. The fact that you can finish your work to a high standard in 40 hours doesn't mean much if everyone else on the team works 45, 'cause then management wants to know why you aren't working those 5 hours like everyone else. People don't take vacations--when their job actually gives them a reasonable allotment of vacation days in the first place--and work overtime as a matter of course rather than the exception.

My employer is fairly forward-thinking on most things (schedules are pretty flexible, time off is pretty good and not hard to take, there are a lot of employee perks, etc) but I've still heard managers a couple of levels up from me talking about how they feel like people should be at work at least 50 hours a week. And yeah, some weeks it takes 50 hours or more to get the job done, but the expectation that you should just be at the office an extra couple of hours a day and/or on weekends really rubs me the wrong way. Employers in general have this expectation that employees should put their job first and life second. If you don't love being at work, you'd damned well better pretend to. They're better about that here than at other jobs I've had, but it's still there. As is the expectation that personal affairs not take precedence over The Job. At my last job people would be looking down their nose at you if you had the bad grace to take an hour off in the morning to go to the doctor because you were sick or injured (and God forbid you take the Whole Day).

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Many healthcare professionals have been working 3 and 4-day weeks for a long time. I myself work a 3-day week, and it's glorious. My wife recently transitioned to a 4-day week working 10-hour days and it's amazing how much time we have off together.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Part of the problem is that in the US at least (I believe this is less true in Europe), the 40 hour work week is a myth.

For salaried office workers, its nominally 42.5 hours (9-530, half hour lunch). But really more commonly its probably like a bit more on either side: 9-630, 830-6, etc. I'd be surprised if the average salaried office worker doesn't already work closer to a 10 hour work day (50 hrs a week) than an 8 hour work day (40 hrs a week). My work doesn't pay me enough for what I do so I can get by with ~45 without an issue but for everyone like me there's probably someone approaching 60.

My wife works 12 hour shifts (registered nurse), 3x two weeks, 4x one week ((36x2+48)/3 = 40). But really its more like 13 hour shifts because they need to hand off patients and give report and potentially document. So really even when she's on a 36 hour week, its really 40 and when shes on a 48 hour week its 52.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    For salaried office workers, its nominally 42.5 hours (9-530, half hour lunch). But really more commonly its probably like a bit more on either side: 9-630, 830-6, etc. I'd be surprised if the average salaried office worker doesn't already work closer to a 10 hour work day (50 hrs a week) than an 8 hour work day (40 hrs a week). My work doesn't pay me enough for what I do so I can get by with ~45 without an issue but for everyone like me there's probably someone approaching 60.

My wife loved going to the 10-hour day; not only do you get an extra day each week off, but you come in earlier and leave later, missing rush hour traffic both ways.

• Options
    It is well-known, in the labour economics literature, that companies see productivity bumps when they change from pay per hour to pay per piece (aka, pay for output). Employees also enjoy more leisure time. So a mystery is why it isn't done more, especially when the quality of output is readily observable - there are lots of arguments over this, including an argument that the apparently widely-observed change is really an experiment bias.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    To switch to a 4 day week where I work (retail/wholesale bakery) would require doubling our staff. We have a day and night crew, with some overlap, most work 6 days a week. We're already understaffed, it's almost impossible to find people who are both willing to do the work and who have the ability as it is.

I'm sure a 4 day week would work fine in a lot of offices, but in the service industry it would be crippling staff-wise.

nibXTE7.png