As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post-PAX AUS Party?

13»

• Options
    SandmanTechSandmanTech MelbourneRegistered User regular
    @Danacyrus I'll PM you my reasons.

• Options
    DaCrawDaCraw Registered User regular
    Well, one concern about Kings St, aside from the safety question, would be the propriety of having a post-PAX party in a red-light district...

---
  • Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm going to keep this short.

1. The safety side of things is fine. If you are going out of your way to pick a fight, I'm sure you'll find one. If you're being a normal person going through the city on a Sunday night, I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine. I've been to far worse places and managed on my own so I'm sure half a dozen gamers walking to the venue will have no problem either. Also, there is security.

and

2. This event is NOT a PAX event, it's a party that happens to be attended by PAX attendees. There is nothing wrong with the area of the venue, and if people feel there are some 'moral' issues with it being there, the problem's not on my end.

If it was in Brisbane and I decided on a venue in the Valley, no one would even blink... So can we please keep the paranoia at a minimum.

I'm leaving it at that. If you have some other issues, feel free to take them up with me via PM.

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    NoodlezNoodlez PerthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I really dont get why people get so upset about Kings St. Sure there have been some not so great things happen there, but its the same for any area that has places that serve alchohol. Some people are just dicks and cant behave when or know their limits.
    I have stayed near Kings St, by myself at a backpackers there, and never felt in fear or in danger for the 5 nights i stayed there, at all. Despite walking around at night, too and from the city.

The venue looks really good, and as has been said before, if you are really worried, leave with friends, but if you are only going on by what the media portrays, well, I think thats the issue right there.

TLDR: Nice find Danacyrus!

Edit: typo

Noodlez on
  • Options
    thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    I think that when leaving we should leave in groups by hotels. So if there's people staying the ibis Melbourne for example then the entire group can walk to the hotel and be safe in large numbers.

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • Options
    DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I love you all, now lets all move on to the land of unicorns and fairy princes!!!

If there are people that are staying at hotels and wanting to walk to the venue, or perhaps try a maxi-taxi with others, let me know, and I can will put up a list of who is where and what they are looking for and the time they want to leave in the new thread in the near future :)

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    NoodlezNoodlez PerthRegistered User regular
    I assume you wont be able to confirm cost till much closer to the date?

• Options
    maybe on the party rego form you should have an option for which hotel you're staying at for safety reasons.

• Options
    At the moment, I have a fair idea of the costs, but I'm not really willing to set a figure at the moment until I have confirmed more costs as the worst thing I can imagine would be undercharging and then being out of pocket. I'd rather have that little bit of extra money left over that I am able to put more into things like prizes, or entertainment, or up the food etc.

• Options
    LogicPrevailsLogicPrevails Registered User new member
    The venue sounds great and I love your work so far Danacyrus. Good job on keeping the information flowing on the planning.

• Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    yeah agreed if you're after any help with it let us know ill help out where i can

• Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Agree with not being too worried about the location - when you bring the crowd you set the tone... trouble makers in the area should be scared of US not the other way around :-)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    As someone who worked at pubs, restaurants and nightclubs in an around Melbourne's CBD for the better part of a decade, I can tell you that King St is not inherently bad, it's people who go looking for trouble that tend to find it.

• Options
    anyways, i hope it all works out :D

• Options
    zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    tokyodove wrote: »
    yeah agreed if you're after any help with it let us know ill help out where i can

Worth adding my +1 to that statement... happy to help out on the day or in the lead up.

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Glad to hear there are people interested in helping out. I'll let you know when I need a hand, more than likely it will be on the day.

One big thing that I will need to reach out to attendees for is if there are console owners from Melbourne reading, if there are, please give me a yell, I'd love to have a chat with you quickly!

Other than that, I'm setting up the Eventbrite/Facebook/Twitter at the moment, so won't be long at all till things are rolling!!

Okay, so I know I said I'd be waiting up to a fortnight, but I decided that I'd stop playing lol for a day and spend the time doing up the pages, so head back up to the thread for my PPP! Tickets are also now available! <3

Danacyrus on
  • Options
    let us know what you need help on cos i might help too :D

This discussion has been closed.