As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Omerta] City of Wangsters

KiasKias Registered User regular
My name is Luca Brasi and I support this message
lucabrasi.gif

Do you like the stylish, fedora wearing gangsters of the 1920's? Have you ever wanted to make the booze flow in prohibition era America and become an underworld king? Well, some people might tell you this would end badly. They might even try to tell you that these aspirations can only end with your lifeless, strangled, potentially perforated, body being dumped in to some large body of water. But that almost never happens!

In Omerta: City of Gangsters, you will start as a fresh off the boat immigrant, and it is your calling, your duty, to make the most of the American dream. So pick a fancy Italian sounding name, put on that slick suit, and shine up your Model-T because Atlantic City is just waiting for a new head honcho to lord over its seedy underbelly. I'm sure it won't be too hard.
OMERTA – CITY OF GANGSTERS is a simulation game with tactical turn-based combat. Taking the role of a fresh-from-the-boat immigrant, with dreams of the big life, the player will work his way up the criminal hierarchy of 1920’s Atlantic City. Starting with small jobs, his character recruits a gang and expands his empire by taking territory from other gangsters. Eventually he establishes his own crime syndicate and becomes the de facto ruler of Atlantic City.

Features

Historically accurate representation of Atlantic City and its landmarks
Strategic gameplay allows city overview, planning, expansion and gathering of intel
Turn-based tactical combat with a cover system and stealth action
15 unique player controlled characters each with unique personalities and backgrounds
A RPG system for development of player characters and managing their equipment
Competitive and cooperative multiplayer mode with persistent gangs
15+ hours of gameplay in a single play-through
20 unique maps visualizing the various districts of Atlantic City

As a person who loves his simulation games and gangster themes, I have high hopes for this game. I noticed that, despite its imminent release (January 31st), there has yet to be an official thread dedicated to the game. Who else is excited for this one to be released? Has anyone already pre-ordered? To be fair, the previews have been a bit disappointing, like this one from RPS, but I am hoping it continues to get love after release and maybe polish up.

I will post up my impressions once I get some play time in. If you picked this one up, let us know what you think!

Also, you can hit a Klan member with a baseball bat
om2.jpg

Character Stats Sheet
400px-Omertaperks.jpg

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I had never heard of this until this thread. Now it's pre-ordered on steam. Looks like a lot of fun, and I look forward to tomorrow.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I've been talking this up in the Steam thread anytime someone asked about it. I was pretty pleased with the demo. Stats, characters, some old school tactical/RPG mechanics all on top of a sim game. sounds perfect to me!

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    I've been talking this up in the Steam thread anytime someone asked about it. I was pretty pleased with the demo. Stats, characters, some old school tactical/RPG mechanics all on top of a sim game. sounds perfect to me!
    Exactly! I hear its a bit slow paced, but that never really bothered me. And since it's from the same guys who made Tropico 3/4, we should have some solid DLC to look forward to if it sells well enough!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm kind of keeping an eye on this one, but I'm not gonna take the plunge until some reviews show up at least.

• Options
    I expect middling reviews (probably 7s) like every other niche game with no advertising money gets from most websites.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I have this pre-loaded thanks to @HandGimp. I've been excited for this game for weeks. Will give impressions as soon as I'm able to play.

• Options
    Where do you have it preloaded? I bought it on Steam, and while it will act like it has downloaded, it didn't actually download anything and there isn't any data there.

Also it looks like this is a noon release tomorrow instead of midnight, which is too bad.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MadroxMadrox NYRegistered User regular
    this should be called

grandpa: the game

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Where do you have it preloaded? I bought it on Steam, and while it will act like it has downloaded, it didn't actually download anything and there isn't any data there.

Also it looks like this is a noon release tomorrow instead of midnight, which is too bad.

I clicked install and it downloaded for a few hours. But you're right when I check properties under disk usage there is nothing, and if I try play it says there is no .exe file. Thought about trying the vacation but I'm off tomorrow so meh.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    When it pre-loads it keeps the files in a special encrypted cache, with no executable, so that's normal. That's the behavior you should see.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That's weird, mine doesn't download anything at all. I just thought there wasn't a preload. Are you sure yours downloaded anything?

I guess I should contact Steam support, but I won't hear anything from them for a week anyway.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Mine does not give a preload option either. I am planning on just leaving it up today while I am at work and the download should kick in before I am home!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Is this anything like Gangsters, and Gangsters 2? Cause those games were awesome, and I'm getting a similar vibe from this.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Really looking forward to trying this.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    This video showing off some of the character customization looks promising:
    http://youtu.be/zlTklIUgHUk

Can't wait to get off work today!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Cool video. Only a couple hours to go!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It should be unlocking presently.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Relevant to my interest.

• Options
    PC Gamer review was pretty good. Other places are saying that the other mobs don't really compete much with you, making it really easy.

Still downloading for me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    One of the first heist jobs I got was to raid a KKK headquarters, kill the Grand Wizard and escape.

Unfortunately like 3 of them had machine guns and I had pistols.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Only gone through the tutorial mission so far. Fun, but I found an annoying bug. My guy was inside a building, hiding behind a chair and shooting at some dudes. An enemy guy outside the build on the other side of the wall from my guy was able to melee him. Lame.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also, nice little nod to Back to the Future. One of the characters you meet is named Emmet, but likes to go by "Doc".

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The concept of the game sounds really cool, I've had my eye on this game for a while now. But I think I'll wait till a steam sale or some other sale before going for it.

76561198004630058.png
  • Options
    I'm on a mission where we have to escape from a police ambush. I have no idea how you're supposed to do this. Supposedly you have to run to a spot, but I'm not certain what happens then.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I just played one where after setting up a lot of buildings the heat got really bad and I had to deal with the investigation. I chose to burn the evidence and then I had to kill a witness. Went to kill the witness and oh my god there are cops with arm cannons everywhere. I was playing on the hardest difficulty, but I still got my shit kicked in pretty quick. Even the witness had a gun!

• Options
    Haha yeah I'm in the same boat, trying to get a handle on the combat. It seems like you can easily get yourself into combat missions you aren't prepared for and have to... I don't know, watch out for those?

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I did a sandbox mission and I quickly had a huge operation through out the entire area. Started doing wet works for the other mob bosses in the area. First one went swimmingly and I bought some rifles from the mob guy. Did another where I had to kill some KKK guys and maaaan they got tommy guns.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, "Destroy the Evidence" is no joke. Pay the money or call in a favor if you can, because feds do not fuck around. Only reason I got in and out is because Daredevil Birgitte is a madwoman and can run every goddamn where. She is my favorite and I cannot wait to get her a shotgun, though I do enjoy her knifing people as they walk in to melee.

Also, Squigs... Dammit Squigs... He's in jail again and I already broke him out once (where he would have gone down again if the doc hadn't picked his sorry ass up). That guy is getting retired soon I think.

So far I am really enjoying the game. The combat has been fairly smooth, though where you can take cover feels wonky, and the differences between the weapons/characters creates nice tactics without making it cumbersome. Having "Daredevil" run in a room, kick a guy in the crotch, punch him in the face, and run back out is good times. I like the feel of how you interact with the city maps and haven't really had many instances of the waiting described in the RPS article after the 2nd mission (having 5 guys to act keeps things moving). I'm still not completely clear on how to get new weapons without bribing cops.

I'm holding off on messing with the KKK for now. I want more guns (shotguns).

Oh, and this is probably just my own pet peeve, but this mini map could really use some different colors to help me keep track of what is what in the city. Also, default orientation of camera should mean up=up on the map, right=right, etc. Always throws me off.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    So far, for acquiring new weapons I've got one from a deputy, one from a crime lord, a special job that shows up (under the special tab, obviously) to buy a weapon, and then I just had one show up for a heist job. So thankfully there's lots of ways you can get your hands on them.

and yeah, don't fuck with the KKK or the cops until you're packing some tommies or rifles.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Anyone know where the config is located for this game? Want to see if I can change the camera keyboard controls to WASD since they don't really do anything useful, but the only in game keys you can assign are broad stroke actions.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Anyone know where the config is located for this game? Want to see if I can change the camera keyboard controls to WASD since they don't really do anything useful, but the only in game keys you can assign are broad stroke actions.
    No idea on the file, but being able to move the camera with WASD would be excellent. Not sure why this isn't standard procedure.

Also, bank robberies are hard. Just got my world rocked proper, but managed to sneak good old Daredevil out the back door and to the escape car. Last man standing is an achievement it turns out. Too tired for a jailbreak, so calling it a night.

All in all, my first impressions have been mostly positive. I am a bit concerned about replayability once the campaign is through, though I haven't messed with the sandbox. That will probably be good times for awhile, especially on higher difficulties. I am liking the combat a lot, but to be fair, I love old X-com and turn based games, so I am a bit biased. Still, the game does a good job of balancing the risk of combat and the pacing of the shootouts feels right. I will be interested to play around with weapon combinations, though I am having a hard time justifying bringing a knife to a gun fight, despite how much I enjoy watching said knife shank people.

One mechanic I do not feel is very well explained is the police investigation. Essentially, after doing so many criminal activities, the police being an "investigation" which results in you losing if they finish. But I did not see anything that hints at the actual progress of said investigation. You can pay them off, but this gets more expensive each time, so it looks like it acts as a sort of timer in the campaign, though maybe it does the same in sandbox? Not sure. Then again, I haven't really been playing nice (what a nice brewery you have here /bat to face /steal booze) and haven't invested in safe houses, so that may be why I keep filling up my heat level so quick.

Going to be out of town over the weekend, so will try to give more of a review when I am further along and actually understand all the mechanics a bit more clearly. Looking forward to seeing other people's reaction to the game!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Still enjoying this, but I worry how much replayability there will be.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I sense that the verdict is not to buy it now at full price.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hmm the demo is fun so far though.

• Options
    Oh it's very fun. I'm just not sure how long that fun could last.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    I've got 10 hours in and just completed Act 1. Each mission seems to be relatively focused, haven't sandboxed at all yet. Also not sure if there's a dynamic strategic AI that fights back. It seems reasonably easy to expand on the strategic map without significant issues, but we'll see.

So far I'd say it's fun. Light, not too deep. Combat isn't as polished as xcom or JA2 or something like that, but it doesn't seem buggy. Each weapon type has a very clear use (shotguns, revolvers, and tommy guns are for groups, while pistols and rifles are single enemy damage dealers at close or short range.

Happy and fun overall so far, but I don't feel like there's a lot depth to the game play, unless they introduce some new kind of feature in Act 2.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Is this anything like Gangsters, and Gangsters 2? Cause those games were awesome, and I'm getting a similar vibe from this.

It's not as deep as those, but I think it plays slightly better. I would lover for elements of each to be combined. I don't know how the sandbox mode works yet, but the campaign is less "grand strategy" and more like an RTS with it's missions with set starting conditions where you don't carry anything over to the next area.
    Heir wrote: »
    Only gone through the tutorial mission so far. Fun, but I found an annoying bug. My guy was inside a building, hiding behind a chair and shooting at some dudes. An enemy guy outside the build on the other side of the wall from my guy was able to melee him. Lame.

I had something similar when I was sneaking around a building and somehow a guy inside could see my dudes outside through a solid wall with no windows. There was an overhang that I think didn't properly stop line of sight.

Anyway, I played this a good bit this weekend and am enjoying it. I think I'm on the last mission of the campaign, and will start a sandbox game after to see how it's handled. I wasn't a big fan of the combat at first because I was trying to play it like JA2 or XCOM. It's not a game meant to find a defensible spot and hold it (at least, that's how I play those). The combat is meant to be more actiony where you charge at the enemy (who is also charging at you) and take cover as applicable. I think it's supposed to be a turn-based version of movie shootouts, and it actually does a fairly good job of that.

The strategy portion is pretty fun, but I would like better feedback as to what are your money-makers and how it's going day to day. You can get some information from individual businesses, but I would like a ledger type of report. I'm also not sure how the sandbox mode would work because in the campaign, you're just completing the missions that come up. There are no opponents fighting you for territory, but the game doesn't really seem made for that (no manpower to station as guards, etc). I find the general strategy gameplay starts to get a little tedious eventually because you're basically doing the exact same things in each location. And then once you get your infrastructure up and have a lot of money, there's not much else to do with it.

Basically, what I'm saying is unless Sandbox acts fundamentally different from the campaign mode, I see this game not having a huge amount of replayability. But what there is to play is pretty fun.

• Options
    You can hover your mouse over each piece of information at the bottom of the screen (like dirty and clean money) and it'll tell you what your daily income and costs are. Not quite as granular as you're looking for, but at least it gives you something.

I agree I wish there was something a little better when it comes to reporting. I also don't feel like other gangs ever try and encroach on my territory. Someone compared it to playing Monopoly with yourself, and I think that's actually somewhat accurate.

Still love the combat. I've got two of my guys upgraded with several ranged perks...and they're freaking snipers now practically. It's actually quite easy for me to find a defensible position and mow down everything that comes into range.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, my current combat setup:

I typically run with Myself, Squiggs, Doc, and Juliet with Mr Wolf supporting. Me and Juliet use tommy guns, Squiggs uses a unique pistol, and Doc uses a unique set of revolvers. Overal it's pretty devastating. The tommy guns alone are insane, especially being able to bring to bear 2 of them, and with no worries regarding clips or ammo you can just unload full auto every turn. I like Squiggs with the pistol because he's fairly mobile and can take 4 shots with a decent chance to hit. The revolvers I could take or leave but it's nice having the double tap and potential weakness status. I'm debating giving him the shotgun and seeing how that does. Mr Wolf has a rifle and I'll occasionally swap him in (especially if it's an open map).

I haven't been a big fan of melee because they seem to miss all the time even with a 75% or greater hit chance, and they tend to just get in the way of the firearms.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    So just played the demo. Was fun, the meta game seemed a tad slow/dull but the actual combat had the right feeling of dashing from cover to cover spraying bullets action film style.

Will probably buy it once it goes on sale.