As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, February 18, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 36: Litigation is Magic

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, February 18, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 36: Litigation is Magic

FAQ Feeds Schedule

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    rainbowhyphenrainbowhyphen Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The logic that Fighting is Magic should not get a license because MLP is targeted at little girls is profoundly sexist. There are plenty of E-rated games full of comedic violence marketed to that age range, and if this were Transformers, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm not saying it's not a sound observation of Hasbro's business practices, but I'm sick to death of this attitude.

Also, no one is asking Hasbro to market it, just not destroy it. There is no reason for Fighting is Magic to be a problem for Hasbro if it's not a product they would ever develop anyway. They're not losing anything. There's no market confusion. It is painfully clear who the target audience for the game is.

rainbowhyphen on
    raise-this-arm-to-initiate-revolution.png
  • Options
    TheTurnipKingTheTurnipKing Registered User regular
    There's also the fact that if the game is something Hasbro can't sell, and isn't IN competition with something they want to sell, there's no reason to shut 'em down.

• Options
    LostAloneLostAlone Registered User regular
    You don't get to ignore the realities of game development simply because you are a fan of the material. If they made a Disney-character fighting game the result would be the same. Big companies do not have a sense of humour when it comes to this stuff, and seeing their iconic and extremely valuable characters kicking the shit out of each other isn't likely to persuade them to make an exception.

Kids shows are all about selling toys (why do you think Hasbro, a toy manufacturer, owns the IP) and those toys have to be bought by parents. If the parents think that a show isn't appropriate for their children anymore then they stop buying the toys. And that's bad for hasbro.

Funny thing is that if this was a Transformers project then it wouldn't have been squashed, but not because of sexism. It's because Transformers is a show where giant robots beat the crap out of each other. A fighting game would seem to be a natural extension of that. MLP on the other hand is about ponies overcoming adversity through the magic of friendship. How exactly is a fighting game appropriate for that?

• Options
    zekedmszekedms Registered User new member
    While Hasbro actually has pandered to the older demo (see Adventure Ponies, an 8-bit style flash game), seriously guys? A fighting game? AHAHHA no.

It has nothing to do with competition or audience gender or even age, it's just that it's wildly inappropriate for the show's theme. If you really want an MLP fighting game, well, whip up some MUGEN characters. To expect Hasbro to let this one slide as a standalone thing using the license in a wildly inappropriate way is completely absurd.

Plus it sucked. Let's not kid ourselves, Fighting is Magic was terrible. There's no real loss here.

• Options
    NecroxNecrox Registered User regular
    @rainbowhyphen You're right - if it was Transformers we wouldn't be having this discussion. Because fighting is core to the the story, theme and world of Transformers.
    Though there has occationally been a fight or two in it, fighting is NOT core to the MLP concept and values. The target audience strictly doesn't matter in this case - the values Hasbro wish their IP to project do.

And yes, there is something to lose for Hasbro in such a large and public endeavour; Control over their IP (not immediately, but gradually).
    Equestria Daily has a fairly good breakdown of it: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/02/regarding-fighting-is-magic-takedown.html

• Options
    rainbowhyphenrainbowhyphen Registered User regular
    @Necrox There is an awful lot of fighting that goes on in Friendship is Magic. It may not be the focus of the show, but I sincerely don't see how that makes any difference. Suppose the show in question were Rocko's Modern Life or Spongebob Squarepants. I'm pretty sure neither of those feature the main characters routinely beating the tar out of monsters. And the question was of Hasbro granting an explicit license to the project, not ignoring it. That would in no way erode Hasbro's control over their IP.

raise-this-arm-to-initiate-revolution.png
  • Options
    GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    The logic that Fighting is Magic should not get a license because MLP is targeted at little girls is profoundly sexist.
    Incorrect. The problem is not that they're girls, it's that they are little. Hasbro can't have that kind of brand confusion out there, for a show designed for children. In this case, the children happen to be girls.

• Options
    Sage_CatharsisSage_Catharsis Registered User regular
    Is Gabe feeling good in the second panel or bad?

• Options
    felt tipfelt tip Registered User regular
    The FiM piece showed a great lack of familiarity with the source material. Not really surprising, given that this is just two unfunny people reading kokatu headlines.
    zekedms wrote: »
    Plus it sucked. Let's not kid ourselves, Fighting is Magic was terrible. There's no real loss here.
    How'd you review a game that you've never played? Teach me your secrets.
    @Necrox There is an awful lot of fighting that goes on in Friendship is Magic. It may not be the focus of the show, but I sincerely don't see how that makes any difference. Suppose the show in question were Rocko's Modern Life or Spongebob Squarepants. I'm pretty sure neither of those feature the main characters routinely beating the tar out of monsters.

Half the time, it's not even monsters. This is the show that brought us Angel slapping a bitch for fucking up dinner.

Honestly, the idea that the game's content is too violent or dark for Hasbro to touch completely falls apart when you take into account what else they've approved:
    MSKeRjh.jpg

Yeah, murdering cats is just fine, but throwing a pie in someone's face? Whoa there, too far.

• Options
    BluemindBluemind Registered User regular
    she said tautology

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    I would've bought Journey on the PC, Xbox, or Wii, but I don't have a PS3. Maybe thatgamecompany's lesson shouldn't be "make a more commercial game," but instead, "release a game on multiple platforms so more people can buy it."

• Options
    Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    Bronies seem to actively hate the fanbase the show is actually aimed at.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Hopefully the best thing to come out of Hasbro shutting down the MLP thing is it will create enough awareness for these poor, poor bastards who think that it's ok for adult males to fawn over a cartoon specifically targetted to little girls, and get these people help.

One can only hope.

But seriously, stealing someone's intellectual property is bad, wrong and illegal. If these guys weren't fully aware of the fact that at some point, Hasbro was going to step in and issue a cease and desist, they're sharing the same fantasy world as those ponies. It's their property and they absolutely have the right to decide how it's used.

If some PA fans ripped off the PA characters to create a game that had the characters doing something that Mike and Jerry disagreed with, then you can bet they'd have their lawyers do the exact same thing.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    LostAlone wrote: »
    You don't get to ignore the realities of game development simply because you are a fan of the material. If they made a Disney-character fighting game the result would be the same. Big companies do not have a sense of humour when it comes to this stuff, and seeing their iconic and extremely valuable characters kicking the shit out of each other isn't likely to persuade them to make an exception.

They do kick the shit out of each other, though. In the actual show.
    LostAlone wrote: »
    Kids shows are all about selling toys (why do you think Hasbro, a toy manufacturer, owns the IP) and those toys have to be bought by parents. If the parents think that a show isn't appropriate for their children anymore then they stop buying the toys. And that's bad for hasbro.

It's a fighting game spread by word of mouth on the internet, by 20 something nerds. It has absolutely no influence on the primary demographic, but it does have a lot of pull in the secondary, the one that they're trying to cater to more and more. Hell, the pony toys they sell in forbidden planet are better than the ones in Toys R Us or walmart.

felt tip on
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    DISCLAIMER: I know that Checkpoint is not a srsbsns news show and does not intend to be held up to that kind of rigorous scrutiny that would befit one. I just like the show and am invested in the tone and quality of it as a viewer. I know it is also free and am very grateful to be entertained for free and then given the opportunity to say whatever I'd like about it on another free thing.
    GrahamS wrote: »
    Incorrect. The problem is not that they're girls, it's that they are little. Hasbro can't have that kind of brand confusion out there, for a show designed for children. In this case, the children happen to be girls.

The delivery on the line in this episode was well-emphasized on the "GIRLS", giving a rather distinct impression that it seems ridiculous to the entire writing team that girls could enjoy a fighting game. Considering the incredible amount of sexism that surrounds the fighting game community, you can see how this could set off some alarm bells in your more socially-aware (or maybe you could unfavorably say "politically correct") viewers. The point is, in the future should you mean "little children" then just say that, or at least do not make the accident of over-accentuating the fact that the targeted audience for a product is female.

I don't think anyone would have called you out and said "nuh-uh, you meant little girls, children don't watch that show!" but then again, this is the internet and I am getting on your case about saying the word "girls" so who knows.

Post-Feminist-Schoolmarm-Statement-DISCLAIMER: Hey, I enjoy LRR and always watch the newest Checkpoint. This one was pretty good, outside of that bit. I still miss your M:tG show, Friday Nights ;_;

• Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    @ironzerg Yeah, I can't imagine what they would do if someone made an animation where Gabe and Tycho were engaging in anal sex with one another. They'd probably send all the lawyers.

• Options
    badmunky64badmunky64 Registered User new member
    Very depressing as the game was starting to look really good, but I'm not surprised. That game would have hurt Hasbro. Stupid parents would stop buying the toys and such.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    The quality of the game is not the issue. For all intensive purposes, it could've been the 2nd coming of Jesus H. Streetfighter, a glorious incarnation to be heralded as the greatest fighting game ever, the game to end all games.

The point is that they stole another parties IP to generate interest in their game.

The question is, would anyone give two poops about this game if it was not MLP? The answer is "no". They are using the MLP IP to promote their own work, to an audience that's not the target of the original IP. And what happens when they let this one slide? It's only a short jump from a MLP brony fighting game to a full on My Little Beastiality: Touching Wangs is Magic pony sex simulation and then what does Hasbro do when it's IP is attached to that?

Hyperbole? This is the Internet. Such doesn't exist.

• Options
    MattAn24MattAn24 Perth, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    edited February 2013
    Is this really the discussion going on? "Bronies" defending themselves about how they basically just took over supposed ownership of the My Little Pony brand, when.. And this is factual truth, that brand has always been for young girls. The Hasbro toys are targeted/marketed/advertised for, primarily, girls under the age of 12-13.

God, this entire issue is insane. Sure, the cartoon show has neat animation and whatever. But there's sadly a group of really twisted people who use the label "Brony" and are extremely crude and sick. "Bronies" that aren't like that, not admitting that they exist is not helping you. There is a problem, and you're going way too overboard. Chill the hell out..

Also, Kathleen? I'm.. Not seeing how "Tomb Raider is now just Uncharted mixed with Gears of War" makes it 'better'. Copying something that "was inspired by Tomb Raider" and mixing it with the grim-dark Gears of War.. Doesn't make it better. It's just polishing a turd. What exactly is original about it? Hell, cramming in multiplayer (which is apparently a fucking must-do these days..) to a singleplayer experience, whether by a different company or not (Deus Ex: Human Revolution's main story bosses anyone? Not made in-house!) is an unsettling sign as well.. There's already *more* than enough cover-based shooters. We don't need more. We need *originality*. Sadly, something Western devs don't seem to grasp the concept of. Luckily, Japan is still wacky enough to avoid being bland..

MattAn24 on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    This thread looks like it can go places.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    MattAn24 wrote: »
    Is this really the discussion going on? "Bronies" defending themselves about how they basically just took over supposed ownership of the My Little Pony brand

Except nobody is doing that.
    God, this entire issue is insane. Sure, the cartoon show has neat animation and whatever. But there's sadly a group of really twisted people who use the label "Brony" and are extremely crude and sick. "Bronies" that aren't like that, not admitting that they exist is not helping you. There is a problem, and you're going way too overboard. Chill the hell out..

Yes, we get it. People who watch the girl cartoon have taken the place of furries in most internet communities. Everyone knows there's weirdos, but the reason we don't point them out is because it's worse than leaving them alone. Constantly obsessing over the creeps is worse than the creeps themselves.

felt tip on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ironzerg wrote: »
    The point is that they stole another parties IP

No they didn't. They never claimed the IP was theirs*, and they've not deprived the "owners" of anything. There's no theft. The actual creators, the moral owners of the cartoon, the characters, the setting as a whole have unambiguously approved of the game.

Going out of their way to point out who the legal owners are, even in unreleased, internal QA builds

You can argue from a legal standpoint, but I don't care. The idea that ideas are something you can put on a list of company assets next to toilet paper and staplers is one of the biggest mass delusions of our time.

And besides, these guys are smart. They have lawyers, an open line of communication with hasbro, and what they are creating is demonstrability less obscene than the official media itself. And if hasbro can't see the blatant advantage in growing a demographic they are now marketing products to, the show creator herself has offered to create a new character set.
    to generate interest in their game.

That shows not only a gross misunderstanding of the situation RE: Mane6, fandom, official media... But also the game development process. You can't just slap six horses on to generic "fighters" and have it work. All the moves are taken directly out the show, even.
    The question is, would anyone give two poops about this game if it was not MLP? The answer is "no". They are using the MLP IP to promote their own work, to an audience that's not the target of the original IP. And what happens when they let this one slide? It's only a short jump from a MLP brony fighting game to a full on My Little Beastiality: Touching Wangs is Magic pony sex simulation and then what does Hasbro do when it's IP is attached to that?

Hyperbole? This is the Internet. Such doesn't exist.

That's rediculous and without merit. For one, if you do some googlin' there's far worse than what you just described out there. Far worse.

felt tip on
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Is this really the discussion going on? "Bronies" defending themselves about how they basically just took over supposed ownership of the My Little Pony brand, when.. And this is factual truth, that brand has always been for young girls. The Hasbro toys are targeted/marketed/advertised for, primarily, girls under the age of 12-13.

I don't think this is targeted at me but I'd just like to add to my earlier statement:

1) I am not a Brony
    2) I do not deny that Hasbro has a generally gender-normative marketing department and they are attempted to target young girls
    3) I really don't think Hasbro is wrong to stop someone else stealing their IP

On that last point, I dunno how many of you play WH40k but if Games Workshop is still acceptable when they actively destroy positive fan-made materials that add value to their niche and community-dependent brand, I really cannot see Hasbro being wrong for stopping something that isn't necessarily positive, especially when they're almost definitely not dependent on the Brony community.

• Options
    Duke Of NukesDuke Of Nukes Registered User regular
    The game is designed to appease mentally disturbed 20 somethings. The show is designed to appease 12 year old girls. The people who make the show don't care about appeasing the 20 somethings, as it's not made for them. Why are people still talking about this beyond that?

http://mvz-experiment.blogspot.com/ - My Blog, Game Reviews and Opinion Articles on the State of Gaming
  • Options
    Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    felt tip wrote: »
    The FiM piece showed a great lack of familiarity with the source material. Not really surprising, given that this is just two unfunny people reading kokatu headlines.

AHEM. Joystiq headlines.

• Options
    WindyWindy Registered User regular
    Doesn't matter if it's a fan project, or appropriate, or even beneficial to the franchise and the creators themselves like it; whoever owns the IP has the final say, legally, unless the fans can wiggle away with the "fair use" defense (though not being American, I am not super familiar with American laws). I mean, there are some authors out there that are so strict they will go after people who write fan fiction about their work! I don't think this is about cartoon violence and little girls being (gasp!) exposed to it...

I'm not surprised that Hasbro would be uptight about protecting the image of a children's franchise whenever they can single someone out, especially considering all the sexual shit certain people have been making with MLP. It could be damaging to their image in the intended market. I know some of you don't care, but they sure do! Maybe Hasbro has had enough and are finally putting their foot (hoof?) down.

Instead of whining about how unfair all this is, try writing an email to the creators asking them why they keep going after fan works like this. Some of these creative people have blogs and such. If you can actually get through to them that might make more of a difference since they have more power in this situation than you. At the very least (more likely) you might get a good reason why they have to do it, right from the horse's mouth.

They have the right to try and stop projects that could be confused for legit products made by Hasbro and could tarnish their "kid safe" brand. Image counts for a lot in business. They have the right to try and stop unauthorized people from making money or fame off of their franchises. Lots of traffic on their site? Domain is worth more now and all the fans would have to do is put some ads up on the game site. They could also get attention for their other work which is using these celebrity cartoon characters for unauthorized endorsement.

Yeah maybe that wasn't the fans' intent but the lawyers aren't paid to see it from that angle. Their job is to protect the integrity of the franchise. Haters gonna...

If the fans really wanted to make a game like this public they should have changed the characters and world just enough so they couldn't get called out. (Though remember when Penny Arcade made that racy Strawberry Shortcake parody comic and they had to take it down? There's fine lines even in parody.) Or better yet? Anonymously release a torrent of the game as is.

MLP porn games and such I imagine can't easily be tracked back to their creators (unlike this non-porn, fighting game), since those are creepy and kept in the shadows. I have never come across one of those porn games, meaning you would most likely have to intentionally be looking for them. This fighting game came up on a whim and the graphics look official. Easy confusion for non-gamer mainstream people, and some kids and parents, who don't think too hard about what they're looking at.

Bottom line is once something is on the internet you can usually find it again. The game will turn up somewhere, so if you really liked it stop your crying. ...and yeah we're going to keep calling out how creepy some of the fans are because they do exist and they are creepy. Don't like it? Then stop being so damn creepy. Not everyone likes me either for different reasons. Social consequences, baby!

@Viktor Walters
    I totally agree with your comment on females who play fighting games. I take this program pretty lightly, but I was taken aback when that comment was made in the episode. Probably because as a little girl one of my favorite franchises was Mortal Kombat.
    Was it a sarcastic comment on the social construct that it's ok for little boys to play with martial artists, ninjas and soldiers, but not our fragile little girls? Maybe? I dunno.
    Not going to stop watching or take that personally, but I thought that confusing comment in the episode might have been worded better.

• Options
    Windy wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if it's a fan project, or appropriate, or even beneficial to the franchise and the creators themselves like it; whoever owns the IP has the final say, legally, unless the fans can wiggle away with the "fair use" defense (though not being American, I am not super familiar with American laws). I mean, there are some authors out there that are so strict they will go after people who write fan fiction about their work! I don't think this is about cartoon violence and little girls being (gasp!) exposed to it...

I'm not surprised that Hasbro would be uptight about protecting the image of a children's franchise whenever they can single someone out, especially considering all the sexual shit certain people have been making with MLP. It could be damaging to their image in the intended market. I know some of you don't care, but they sure do! Maybe Hasbro has had enough and are finally putting their foot (hoof?) down.

Instead of whining about how unfair all this is, try writing an email to the creators asking them why they keep going after fan works like this. Some of these creative people have blogs and such. If you can actually get through to them that might make more of a difference since they have more power in this situation than you. At the very least (more likely) you might get a good reason why they have to do it, right from the horse's mouth.

They have the right to try and stop projects that could be confused for legit products made by Hasbro and could tarnish their "kid safe" brand. Image counts for a lot in business. They have the right to try and stop unauthorized people from making money or fame off of their franchises. Lots of traffic on their site? Domain is worth more now and all the fans would have to do is put some ads up on the game site. They could also get attention for their other work which is using these celebrity cartoon characters for unauthorized endorsement.

Yeah maybe that wasn't the fans' intent but the lawyers aren't paid to see it from that angle. Their job is to protect the integrity of the franchise. Haters gonna...

If the fans really wanted to make a game like this public they should have changed the characters and world just enough so they couldn't get called out. (Though remember when Penny Arcade made that racy Strawberry Shortcake parody comic and they had to take it down? There's fine lines even in parody.) Or better yet? Anonymously release a torrent of the game as is.

MLP porn games and such I imagine can't easily be tracked back to their creators (unlike this non-porn, fighting game), since those are creepy and kept in the shadows. I have never come across one of those porn games, meaning you would most likely have to intentionally be looking for them. This fighting game came up on a whim and the graphics look official. Easy confusion for non-gamer mainstream people, and some kids and parents, who don't think too hard about what they're looking at.

Bottom line is once something is on the internet you can usually find it again. The game will turn up somewhere, so if you really liked it stop your crying. ...and yeah we're going to keep calling out how creepy some of the fans are because they do exist and they are creepy. Don't like it? Then stop being so damn creepy. Not everyone likes me either for different reasons. Social consequences, baby!

Wow, that's a lot of words that miss the point, fail to acknowlage the creators are actually okay with it, and then some dumbassery where you decide that literally everyone who watches show X is creepy based on nothing more than "because I say so". Plus bonus "lol, u care".

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Sweet double post

felt tip on
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    And the question was of Hasbro granting an explicit license to the project, not ignoring it. That would in no way erode Hasbro's control over their IP.

Failing to defend a trademark absolutely erodes control over it, in real legal terms.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    metaphistmetaphist FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Framling wrote: »
    And the question was of Hasbro granting an explicit license to the project, not ignoring it. That would in no way erode Hasbro's control over their IP.

Failing to defend a trademark absolutely erodes control over it, in real legal terms.

That's what rainbowhyphen is pointing out - Hasbro can either absorb a project or shut it down to control their IP, so they could have chose the former.

However, it's naive to think that a company has the resources to absorb any given fan project that just happens to be a good idea. Unless Hasbro makes a statement, all we can do is assume. Some creators of the show already voiced their interest in the game, but in most cases the legal department of a company is far removed from the creative, and even marketing, departments. A lot of these legal departments just find projects and shut them down as a matter of course.

metaphist on
    as-siggy-blank-left.jpg
  • Options
    GrahamSGrahamS Registered User regular
    The delivery on the line in this episode was well-emphasized on the "GIRLS", giving a rather distinct impression that it seems ridiculous to the entire writing team that girls could enjoy a fighting game.
    Well that's just how the emphasis fell when I was talking. We don't think that.
    I didn't say "children" because the show is only marketed to girls. True, the girls part isn't relevant at all to fighting games, but it is relevant to the joke's delivery (comparing the two fanbases of 20-something males and 7-years-old girls).

• Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular

While it's true that a company that doesn't enforce their IP can lose control of it, that's not the same thing as not allowing anyone use of the IP. If Hasbro had granted the devs permission to make a (non-profit) game, then they would be enforcing their IP, and it wouldn't erode their control in any way.

And also, there seems to be some misinformation in this thread; I don't think anyone is claiming that Hasbro doesn't have the right to shut things down, just a bit disappointed that they choose to do so.

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    Well sure, I guess Hasbro could have said "Go ahead and make a fighting game based on our line of toys for young children."

Just as, I suppose, Original Appalachian Artworks, Inc. could allow Eli Roth to make a torture porn movie based on the Cabbage Patch Kids.

I just don't see why anyone would be at all surprised when they didn't.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bremen wrote: »

While it's true that a company that doesn't enforce their IP can lose control of it, that's not the same thing as not allowing anyone use of the IP. If Hasbro had granted the devs permission to make a (non-profit) game, then they would be enforcing their IP, and it wouldn't erode their control in any way.

And also, there seems to be some misinformation in this thread; I don't think anyone is claiming that Hasbro doesn't have the right to shut things down, just a bit disappointed that they choose to do so.

Correct on all points.

What you're looking at, basically, is the modern day equivalent of a thread about furries. Misinformation and spin doctoring is par for the course, people are more interested in spreading their bias than looking at things accurately. Some of the shit in here is strawmanny enough to put wheat on the endangered species list.

felt tip on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Well sure, I guess Hasbro could have said "Go ahead and make a fighting game based on our line of toys for young children."

Just as, I suppose, Original Appalachian Artworks, Inc. could allow Eli Roth to make a torture porn movie based on the Cabbage Patch Kids.

I just don't see why anyone would be at all surprised when they didn't.

This isn't a Mortal Kombat clone being talked about; it isn't any more violent than the show itself. What's more, Hasbro themselves periodically release flash games on their website, and the MLP ones often involve fighting.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The show is occasionally more violent than this game. Also, slapping a woman for getting dinner wrong is funny.

Maybe if there was some blood, or broken bones, or any sort of injury at all, the "too violent" argument would have merit. But there isn't, so it isn't. This is a game where one attack is to throw a pie in someone's face. Literally.

felt tip on
  • Options
    Don RebaDon Reba Registered User regular
    Wait, you are not disappointing. Why would you say that?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    GrahamS wrote: »
    The delivery on the line in this episode was well-emphasized on the "GIRLS", giving a rather distinct impression that it seems ridiculous to the entire writing team that girls could enjoy a fighting game.
    Well that's just how the emphasis fell when I was talking. We don't think that.
    I didn't say "children" because the show is only marketed to girls. True, the girls part isn't relevant at all to fighting games, but it is relevant to the joke's delivery (comparing the two fanbases of 20-something males and 7-years-old girls).

I dunno, I know some pretty violent little 7 year old girls; I have some nieces who would like nothing better than to beat the shit out of each other, in real life or in a game.

I think the biggest problem would be marketing a game based around fighting that is in itself based around "friendship" and the supposed magic therein. Not really so friendly to kick your friends in the face. Plus that whole ridiculous notion that little children, and girls in specific, are some innocent angels. All this seems a much better reasoning.

Though you are generally right, fighting games in general (excluding maybe Smash Bros) are targeted at teens to 20-somethings and up, and not 7 year olds, girls or otherwise. ;)

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, this game ain't even marketed.

If ya wanna see something that really messes with the brand, check out the nearest pound shop. Knockoff Technicolor Horses as far as the eye can see. Hell, even big places like Smyths are stocking packs of fake ponies, right there on the shelf next to the real deal. That would be where to start if you were really concerned about things eating your profits, short or long term.

I'm betting it was just legal drone #14345 operating on the generic policy to C&D anything that they come across that uses the trademark without a licence. It's hardly a grand statement of intent, just some guy far away from the actual decision makers going "wait, wasn't there something in the employee handbook about this?".
    The game is designed to appease mentally disturbed 20 somethings. The show is designed to appease 12 year old girls. The people who make the show don't care about appeasing the 20 somethings, as it's not made for them. Why are people still talking about this beyond that?

The people who make the show would disagree. I believe in M.A. Larson indeed.

felt tip on
  • Options
    ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    Where is this walmart atlus sex tape? My google fu is weak.