As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Power [chat]

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I received the PM first.

I am the chosen.

That means he thinks you're most like him.

It's like getting a friend request from Hitler.

You're Goebbels.

goebbels pls

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    How common is it for people to confuse being racist, sexist, etc. with being funny? Most of the time it isn't even "ironic."

there can be funny sexist/racist jokes

much in the same way that there can be funny jokes about any subject matter

There are basically jokes that happen to be involve sensitive, jokes that involve something sensitive in a way that is not so great, and references to problematic things that people think are funny.

They're all kinda different.

Both things can be funny, it is just incredibly dependant on a multitude of different factors such as delivery, timing, context, the actual joke itself, the audience, etc

Saying "this is a super special topic that you can't make light of" is just going to (a) make people go after the topic more and (b) give people who actually want to be hurtful a better idea of how they can do so.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    How common is it for people to confuse being racist, sexist, etc. with being funny? Most of the time it isn't even "ironic."

There are basically jokes that happen to be involve sensitive, jokes that involve something sensitive in a way that is not so great, and references to problematic things that people think are funny.

Both things can be funny, it is just incredibly dependant on a multitude of different factors such as delivery, timing, context, the actual joke itself, the audience, etc

Saying "this is a super special topic that you can't make light of" is just going to (a) make people go after the topic more and (b) give people who actually want to be hurtful a better idea of how they can do so.

I actually just finished reading this article.

http://jezebel.com/5905291/a-complete-guide-to-hipster-racism

I admit this is something I actually do, and I should probably stop.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Hello from small town south-central Ontario, [chat]

There is a dog here that is in charge

I serve his every whim

You in one of the small towns named after big cities like Paris or Boston?

Not quite that small ... I don't think

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I received the PM first.

I am the chosen.

That means he thinks you're most like him.

It's like getting a friend request from Hitler.

You're Goebbels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQeUZVrfHzk

488W936.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    song - artist

the fuck is wrong with you

Yeah you guys go day/month/year too

I have been wondering about this.

Please try to explain how day/month/year is not the most logical and apparent solution?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

I serve his every whim

where the hell are you?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    MpsqGbL.jpg

Wanna ride that dog.

• Options
    being in japan with my racist parents was one of the funniest things I've ever experienced

also, I'm not clicking a jezebel link, gawker are the fucking pits

• Options
    Ok this is tight this is my area at night from the ISS my city is on the right

BEDNn0sCIAAjAB3.jpg:large

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

I serve his every whim

Waterford size or Simcoe?

488W936.png
  • Options
    could you please tell the mod who banned me that hes a knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-liver'd, action-taking, whoreson, glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pander, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch; one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if they show their papist ass anywhere near me.

: How can I respond to a beslubbered, pebbling, churlish clotpole, a beef-witted gleeking bum-bailey, a gorbellied, mewling, hedge-born, onion-eyed, fustilarian cob-loaf! Flappy-eared, knotty-pated measle, a ruttish, reeking coxcomb, a bugger-mugger moldwarp! Pottle-deep, maggot-pie lewdster! Yeasty, tickle-brained, whey-faced, nut-hook skainsmate!

!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    could you please tell the mod who banned me that hes a knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-liver'd, action-taking, whoreson, glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pander, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch; one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if they show their papist ass anywhere near me.

: How can I respond to a beslubbered, pebbling, churlish clotpole, a beef-witted gleeking bum-bailey, a gorbellied, mewling, hedge-born, onion-eyed, fustilarian cob-loaf! Flappy-eared, knotty-pated measle, a ruttish, reeking coxcomb, a bugger-mugger moldwarp! Pottle-deep, maggot-pie lewdster! Yeasty, tickle-brained, whey-faced, nut-hook skainsmate!

!

I got that one too! I learned like, 30 new insults.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    This is like an ARG

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mortious wrote: »

Man I think I agree with the gist but "race isn't complicated because it's not real" is dumb.

For analogies, consider gender or our selection of axioms for mathematics.

• Options

!

mein gott, the english, it is not as i remember it

488W936.png
  • Options

I serve his every whim

Guelph?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    wat

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I mean he addresses that but still I hate seeing stuff like that. You can't divorce race from how we interact with it.

• Options
    edited February 2013

I serve his every whim

where the hell are you?

I serve his every whim

Closer to Simcoe in size

I'm in Cobourg

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    I mean he addresses that but still I hate seeing stuff like that. You can't divorce race from how we interact with it.

My one anthropology prof did that, based upon his knowledge of genetics, and he was technically correct but still pretty aloof and condescending in his understanding of it.

488W936.png
  • Options
    wat

8->

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    wat

You're getting slow in your old age.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Should really have put some semi-colons in between those insults so it was clearer that it was a list.

Tsk tsk, crazy people aren't what they used to be.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Okay, maybe having twice as much bourbon as I had planned wasn't a good idea

MAYBE IT WAS A GREAT IDEA

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular

I serve his every whim

where the hell are you?

I serve his every whim

Closer to Simcoe in size

I'm in Cobourg

The Great Lakes are really big. And Ontario is even one of the wimpier ones.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Should really have put some semi-colons in between those insults so it was clearer that it was a list.

It was like being insulted by the Bronte sisters. I felt the urge to put on a frilly collar and powder my wig.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Time was a man could talk to himself in public and others could simply wave their hands and say he was under the vapors or on the bottle or possessed by demons and needed a good spanking.

488W936.png
  • Options

My one anthropology prof did that, based upon his knowledge of genetics, and he was technically correct but still pretty aloof and condescending in his understanding of it.

Well there are certainly racial correlates but they don't have much bearing on reality. Black people get diabetes more often, true facts. That's kinda separate from how we conceptualize and act on their blackness.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ahahaaha, Punk Ass Book Jockeys

Season 2 of Parks is great.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I serve his every whim

where the hell are you?

I serve his every whim

Closer to Simcoe in size

I'm in Cobourg

Ah yes, the side of Toronto I don't frequent.

What's it like in magical eastern Ontario?

488W936.png
  • Options
    Ugh I am nauseous for some reason.

Lack of food?

Lack of sleep?

Stress?

Too much awesome salsa?

Who knows!

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Man I think I agree with the gist but "race isn't complicated because it's not real" is dumb.

There's probably quite a bit wrong with the article, but it does speak to me.

It's something that I do a lot, mostly because I carry a lot of guilt over my still quite recent cultural heritage.

I had a friend who I used to verbally spar with like this. Jokingly, but probably also as a way to find our place in the "new South Africa" since we were both one foot in/one foot out since the transition happened in our teens, but from different sides.

And that conversation style tends to carry over to other people (including this forum) but without any of the history and context that it was born in.

And I really need to unlearn that.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the reasons for not being racist have nothing to do with whether or not race exists or if there are aggregate differences between groups anyway

an anti-racism strategy founded on "THERES NO DIFFERENCE" has the obvious flipside of "BUT I WOULD TOTALLY BE A DICK IF THERE WAS"

naw

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

I serve his every whim

where the hell are you?

I serve his every whim

Closer to Simcoe in size

I'm in Cobourg

The Great Lakes are really big. And Ontario is even one of the wimpier ones.

Indeed! I've travelled a fair bit today but barely made my way around the lake at all :)

• Options
    edited February 2013

Well there are certainly racial correlates but they don't have much bearing on reality. Black people get diabetes more often, true facts. That's kinda separate from how we conceptualize and act on their blackness.

Hence my disagreement with his relatively rationalized, simplistic view of it. He basically was saying, it's not reflected in genetics in any real way and so you should just not give a shit about it anymore, full stop.

Maybe in a perfect world, but...

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options

There's probably quite a bit wrong with the article, but it does speak to me.

It's something that I do a lot, mostly because I carry a lot of guilt over my still quite recent cultural heritage.

I had a friend who I used to verbally spar with like this. Jokingly, but probably also as a way to find our place in the "new South Africa" since we were both one foot in/one foot out since the transition happened in our teens, but from different sides.

And that conversation style tends to carry over to other people (including this forum) but without any of the history and context that it was born in.

And I really need to unlearn that.

Ha.

Transition.

Anyway, I find myself in the state of "You are a complete dumbass and your argument is riddled with holes but I agree with the conclusion" a lot. And I usually end up playing "devil's advocate" because of it, but what I'm really doing is shooting down terrible arguments because they bug me almost as much as people being terrible. And then saying "but this is right in the end because" and then something that is less terrible an argument.

People love this, I assure you.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Guys, I need drunk food. CHOOSE MY FATE

Taco Bell, Panda Express, Chick-Fil-A, Five Guys, Subway, or Elevation Burger?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Guys, I need drunk food. CHOOSE MY FATE

Taco Bell, Panda Express, Chick-Fil-A, Five Guys, Subway, or Elevation Burger?

Taco Bell.

• Options

Hence my disagreement with his relatively rationalized, simplistic view of it. He basically was saying, it's not reflected in genetics in any real way and so you should just not give a shit about it anymore, full stop.

Maybe in a perfect world, but...

Ah. Yeah, it's reflected in genetics with certain markers that tend not to matter at all, at best. So people should not give a shit!

But as long as they do let's work with that instead of fantasyland where the inhabitants aren't super shitty at being rational, logical, or nice.

This discussion has been closed.