Options

[CRYSIS 3] ~ OUT NOW~

12346»

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    I seriously don't understand why developers keep putting motion blur in games. Has anyone ever gone "wow that looks awesome all blurry when I move"? It just makes it hard to aim quickly, in my experience.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Aiserou wrote: »
    I seriously don't understand why developers keep putting motion blur in games. Has anyone ever gone "wow that looks awesome all blurry when I move"? It just makes it hard to aim quickly, in my experience.

I've always wondered this too... it gives me the feeling the people making the game don't really play games and although that's not true, it still feels weird to see features like that on by default.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I'm "Zzulu" on Origin by the way, if you want to add me to your list so maybe we can play some MP (*)

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh you guys weren't kidding. This game is super pretty and I'm not even playing on the highest settings

o85ero.jpg
    erbres.jpg
    2isy5mx.jpg

Though be sure to turn off Vsync, it was giving me issues and the game ran much smoother without it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Man, I get like 30 fps max when I get out in to New York.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    So I've been reading some seriously mixed impressions on Crysis 3's gameplay. It's too linear, AI is stupid, AI is super smart, stealth is worthless, stealth is overpowered (seems to vary with difficulty)... basically a whole range of stuff.

But I think I may just about be sold on it now, after watching TB's quick look at the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIoUelM-4pk

Some things I take away from that video:

First up, TB isn't the best player, so when he's talking about how hard (on the hard difficulties anyway) it is to play through without stealth, I'm constantly yelling at him for not throwing grenades and for running headfirst into danger. So that out of the way, this ties in a lot with what I was talking about in my earlier post on Crysis 2 (annoyingly large post on pg3 if anyone's interested).

AI really does seem to be beefed up HEAVILY from Crysis 2. As does the difficulty. Just going on second-hand information here from that video, but at higher difficulties it seems like they've gone back to more along the lines of the Crysis 1 style where armour modes doesn't make you a tank, and Cloak is much shorter, making it less "cheese" and more "tactical". Meanwhile, the AI for the grunts is seriously more aggressive at the higher difficulties. They'll focus fire you, surround, and throw a shed-load of grenades at your previous locations in order to flush you out. Good stuff.

Again, all second hand, but it's hard to get an impression for this stuff reading reviews, I get a much better sense of where the game's at from TB's video, not the least because he was playing it (frequently) at a higher difficulty, where I get the impression most reviews didn't. I can see how that affects the game, and I like the way it looks.

So, I guess I might give this a shot over at GMG. Crysis has always been too much of a hybrid game, going in slightly different directions to everyone's presumed expectations (either from other titles, or even from previous entries) for most to get a decent bead on what it actually is trying to be and the gameplay model it's trying to be best at. So I'm not going to really figure that out from most other impressions on the net.

And if it sucks, well, at least it's the last in the series. And I'll always have "Assault" (The Harbour level).

subedii on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and stealth is a must. You die incredibly fast without armormode on but most of the time I try to just murder people from stealth because armormode doesn't last long. You have no crosshairs and some enemies will beeline right into your face once they detect you and grenades rain everywhere if you let them know your position. It's managable thanks to stealth but the entire game becomes a stealth-shooter at these difficulties rather than an action-shooter so if you want the latter you should prob not go for the higher difficulties

So far I've done like 4 missions or something and the game reminds me a lot of Crysis 2, but more polished and a bit better overall. The environments are a lot better than Crysis 2 and the enemies and gun variety as well.

The story isn't anything special so far, but then it never was in any of the Crysis games though it at least seems to be building up to more of a final conclusion compared to the other 2 games

I haven't finished it yet but so far it's well worth the purchase and I haven't even gotten into the MP yet

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    I'm loving the game as much if not more than Crysis 2, but I'm dissapointed it didn't even come close to matching what I call one of the most rousing game intro's of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLKv2lVasoo

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Just finished the game, it was pretty good. The ending was a lot more final than the other 2 games as well which was about fuckin time
    The very end when you're in space and blowing up space-chthulu was pretty cool. Even cooler was the fact that when you fall down into Earth again you fall down in the place where Crysis 1 takes place. A neat "the circle is complete" there to finish off the trilogy

The story was still fairly generic and it didn't really grab me but I liked the cool locales and Psycho was fun as well. Unfortunately they didn't involve a whole lot of other characters except for like, 2 others and they both end up dying after not much screentime. Cell were just random soldiers and the Ceph were honestly just boring random aliens in this game as well. This was the biggest flaw of the entire franchise for me, I just didn't give a shit about the bad guys. When the most memorable badguy in the series is the cartoonish evil korean madman in Crysis1 you got a problem

If the guys at Crytek can just figure out how to make a narrative and story that really draws the player in they'd probably be the top FPS guys around because they pretty much ace everything else

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wait, who is inside the suit?

The suit is a copy of Prophet's mind ... Alcatraz last had the suit on in Crysis 2 ... is there a rotting Alcatraz corpse inside the suit?

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

The suit is a copy of Prophet's mind ... Alcatraz last had the suit on in Crysis 2 ... is there a rotting Alcatraz corpse inside the suit?

I keep wondering that as I play the game, but if I had to guess it would be that the suit doesn't need a physical body inside it any more. Maybe he pooped out Alcatraz at the end of the last game.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

I keep wondering that as I play the game, but if I had to guess it would be that the suit doesn't need a physical body inside it any more. Maybe he pooped out Alcatraz at the end of the last game.

The suit's running around like a haunted hollowed out suit of armor from a Scooby-Doo cartoon, huh?

We know the suit was recovered by Cell; right at the start of the game, it was being transferred somewhere by boat.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    The suit's symbiotic.

Spoiler for Crysis 2.
    Alcatraz's mind isn't the only thing that got re-written, his whole body effectively did.

They made a big point of saying that during the second game, that the suit was merging with Alcatraz, effectively keeping him from dying from his injuries, but Gould couldn't tell where the suit ended and Alcatraz began anymore. It filled in sections of his body and re-wrote parts of his DNA to suit various ends. Prophet's "mind" (if you could call it that) was already a part of the suit when he handed it over. Alcatraz acted as the body.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The suit does a thing at the end of the game so it kind of answers a few things

Also is it just me or is the MP pretty damn decent for this game?

[edit] oh and a launch trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fJDmP2crAlk

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    What the suit does to Alcatraz is probably the only great thing about the Crysis story.

• Options
    I also really like Psycho's entire character arc through the 4 games (counting Warhead), though he was absent in 2. The way he loses his sense of identity in 3 without the suit is interesting, the character work in general with him is leagues beyond what you see in most games these days. Brings me back to Half-Life 2 where every side character left an impression.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yeah Psycho was great. It helped that the voice actor was really good as well, even if it was a different one compared to previous games. The awesomely made faces in the cutscenes helped too. I don't think I've seen another game create such "living" eyes yet.

Too bad they didn't have any other interesting characters apart from Psycho in the entire game (series?) though

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Just finished the game, it was pretty good. The ending was a lot more final than the other 2 games as well which was about fuckin time
    The very end when you're in space and blowing up space-chthulu was pretty cool. Even cooler was the fact that when you fall down into Earth again you fall down in the place where Crysis 1 takes place. A neat "the circle is complete" there to finish off the trilogy

The story was still fairly generic and it didn't really grab me but I liked the cool locales and Psycho was fun as well. Unfortunately they didn't involve a whole lot of other characters except for like, 2 others and they both end up dying after not much screentime. Cell were just random soldiers and the Ceph were honestly just boring random aliens in this game as well. This was the biggest flaw of the entire franchise for me, I just didn't give a shit about the bad guys. When the most memorable badguy in the series is the cartoonish evil korean madman in Crysis1 you got a problem

If the guys at Crytek can just figure out how to make a narrative and story that really draws the player in they'd probably be the top FPS guys around because they pretty much ace everything else

Word. I wouldn't quite go as far as your final sentence, as CRYSIS 2 and 3 spend a lot of time recycling the same tactical situations and 3 has the "Hey let's copy CALL OF DUTY !" thing going on, but I agree with your overall point. If Crytek would just hire a couple of writers from Bioware, they would be all set.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The Multiplayer is pretty great in this game

I just jumped off a building, slamming two people dead who were guarding a crashpod and then tossing a C4 on an oblivious guy. C4 sticks to people! It was very satisfying blowing him up as he hobbled away

Then I slidekicked his corpse because there was nothing else to slidekick 8-)

My next goal is to kill a bunch of people with those poles you can rip off the ground

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    "Bubby' wrote:
    I also really like Psycho's entire character arc through the 4 games (counting Warhead), though he was absent in 2. The way he loses his sense of identity in 3 without the suit is interesting, the character work in general with him is leagues beyond what you see in most games these days.

Yeah, I've generally enjoyed Psycho. Out of all the characters, he seems like the one with the most distinct personality.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I just finished this, fucking loved it. Might actually be my favorite in the trilogy. Prophet and Psycho have always been the best characters ever since the first game - they were more developed in this than ever before. They took the best gameplay from Crysis 1 and 2 and kind of melded them both together to make what IMO is the most fun game in the series. I tried playing Crysis 1 again a bit after this, and I honestly have more fun playing 2 and 3. I might be in the minority, but there it is. Also, hilariously, Crysis 1 still runs like shit totally maxed out while I can play Crysis 3 at all high settings/very high texture settings (except for medium shading) at 60fps.
    The ending was awesome, had one of the most epic final boss battles I can remember in a first person shooter. I don't really understand how prophet ended up himself again (only augmented, so kind of a hybrid human), but I love the character and his voice so much that I don't much care.

Bubby on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bubby wrote: »
    I just finished this, fucking loved it. Might actually be my favorite in the trilogy. Prophet and Psycho have always been the best characters ever since the first game - they were more developed in this than ever before. They took the best gameplay from Crysis 1 and 2 and kind of melded them both together to make what IMO is the most fun game in the series. I tried playing Crysis 1 again a bit after this, and I honestly have more fun playing 2 and 3. I might be in the minority, but there it is. Also, hilariously, Crysis 1 still runs like shit totally maxed out while I can play Crysis 3 at all high settings/very high texture settings (except for medium shading) at 60fps.
    The ending was awesome, had one of the most epic final boss battles I can remember in a first person shooter. I don't really understand how prophet ended up himself again (only augmented, so kind of a hybrid human), but I love the character and his voice so much that I don't much care.
    At the point when Prophet ended up in space, his suit was capable of transforming into just about anything. It was "unlocked" and they mention this a few times in the game. Keep in mind the suit is nano-tech which in Sci-Fi usually means it can evolve into numerous things if the story calls for it!

The actual human body inside the suit had already began melding with the tech in Crysis 2.

So after he syncs with the satellite and blows up the bad guys he starts to fall back into Earth. At some point during re-entry he almost burns up and you can see the suit is strained to its limits. That's when it undergoes a transformation and basically fuses and absorbs with whatever was left of Alcatraz (guy in the suit from Crysis 2) and creates this new version of Prophet who looks human. You can see the nanoplates move around in his face right at the end so it's still the "suit" but it is completely transformed. Now he was truly post human.

I interpreted it as Prophet being able to transform into any form at that point but he chose what he knew and shaped himself after his old body.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    [/size]
  • Options
    beaverboybeaverboy Registered User new member
    If anyone still plays and wants to play online a bit my PSN name is illogical_beaver

• Options
    I guess people really just didn't care about Crysis

t5qfc9.jpg