As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work for Critique [NSFW - life drawing]

sketchsevensketchseven Registered User regular
Having another go at posting work. I'm an animator (or rather an animator-to-be, as I'm still looking for regular work as an animator). So my goals with my artwork at the moment are really to improve my drawing skills (both line and tone work), and to move forward .

With this thread I'm looking to work on my drawing skills, so as much critique and feedback that I can get from you all would be fantastic.

And with all that said, here are some sketches from a life drawing class I took last year (pencil and graphite stick on paper). All are done from the same life model.

life_draw_001.jpg

life_draw_002.jpg

life_draw_003.jpg

life_draw_004.jpg

life_draw_005.jpg

life_draw_006.jpg

life_draw_007.jpg

life_draw_008.jpg

(Some very brief levels adjustments in PS to bump the contrast up a little bit - I had no way to scan the images so I had to go with photos.)

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    For foreshortening it helps to think of the figure as a box in perspective. If that is the case all the parallel lines across the box will be parallel even as they get farther away.

This perspective isn't perfect, I did it was the line tool in ms paint, but you get the picture
    lifedraw005.jpg

Now, I'm assuming that the figure was laying FLAT on the table, not contorted or bent in any way. If that were the case you can see that your features aren't parallel with each other. I'm not saying they'll all be the same height, but the 2 hands will be flat with the table, as well as the feet, knees, protruding ribs, hips, and shoulders (again only if the figure is laying completely flat on a flat surface) Check these angles by holding up your pencil or charcoal when drawing your subject.

lifedraw0051.jpg

Now, if he WAS contorted, and laying on a bunch of pads and pillows, disregard :P I would say something about the second to last drawing there too. He appears to be unbalanced, as if he would fall over, but I don't really know how to articulate or help with that at all. Hope that helps! Keep up the good work mate! Welcome to the AC

ninjai on
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated. He was lying down on a mattress from memory. As for the unbalanced figure, I think it's because his back and butt are visually too far over the back foot for it to appear balanced visually, rather than being in position over the feet properly.

Thanks again!

• Options
    kkrieselkkriesel artist Milwaukee, WIRegistered User new member
    The hips of your standing figures are very tense, as though they're clenching, while the rest of them are fine. This is a difficult thing to fix for most people. Practice and experimentation with your own solution is the best way to amend that - make them wider, looser.
    Most of your figures look like they're floating in space, as well. The second and third actually look like they're sitting, but their feet are floating. The last one has excellent weight on both the chair and ground.
    Other than that, great! Keep working!

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback Kkriesel - I'm going to do some more gestural drawing work and try to get a better feel for proportion and balance in the figures, and will definitely bear your advice in mind.

Thanks again!

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    It seems like you're already steering away from making a bunch of tiny scratchy lines in favor of longer more fluid lines, which is good so keep moving in that direction. It looks like you go over the same areas a lot of times, so try to remember that you don't need to make a million lines to show the same thing. If you try to put your marks down confidently and intentionally, they will be more worthwhile to you and you will be more focused on what you're actually drawing. It's still good to put down marks that only guide you or move things around while you're drawing a pose, but know that it's okay to slow down and make your lines more purposeful.