As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect 3] Operation LODESTAR. Are you bad enough a dude/dudette to quad Platinum?

19495969798100»

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Oh absolutely. After the first time it's pretty much just having a petty grudge because your toaster dumped you for sticking a fork in it.

Just saying I can get why the Quarians have wound up so well, fucked as a species both mentally and in terms of their current living state.

• Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    I want to know what the structural logic is of having all your ships look like weird bugs.

if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    I just don't get why the geth built their dyson sphere right by the Quarian home world if they really wanted to be left alone

they could have built it literally anywhere

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    It's hard to fault the geth for building the dyson sphere right by the geth home world.

• Options
    I just don't get why the geth built their dyson sphere right by the Quarian home world if they really wanted to be left alone

they could have built it literally anywhere

Probably because the Geth do have feelings and emotional attachment. Even if they're weird robot feelings that none of the organics get.

They put the sphere over Rannoch because they feel an attachment to it. That and it's highly practical given they tell you that the Geth view it as a duty to keep Rannoch in good shape if I remember correctly.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I'm more than happy to make everybody in that little dispute live happily ever after, but if shepard's in a situation where she has to pick one, she's picking the geth and honestly it's not that close

the quarians are so dumb. Just like, constantly dumb

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Big props to the group I just ran with, where ever you are

Full extraction on Cerberus Platinum and Collector Gold

Damn, ya'll are cool

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I suppose the logic/hope is that once the geth return the quarian homeworld back to them, there'd be peace between them? The geth -aside from the heretics- never had hate or resentment for the quarians. Not sure they even know what hate/resentment even is.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Oh they definitely do to a degree. Apparently Rannoch sans Legion leaves you with a VI whose distrustful of Organics constantly (which is why peace doesn't work).

I just suspect individual units hate/resentment comes down to the more logical 'had it with these Quarians shit' attitude, which still makes it fine for them to also have the policy of 'once we give back Rannoch it'll be cool again, no more Quarian shit'.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Potential for destruction and violence is one thing.

But treating a geth asking simple, innocent questions the same as a Geth murdering your relatives in front of you is...not very rational, mildly put.

Kind of reminds me of Ashley "Hitler" Williams. "Can't tell the Aliens from the animals!". How'd she become a Soldier with that attitude? Don't they have psychological evaluations in the future?

Re: Anderson/Sarens history: Still a far jump. Anderson tells you how on a past mission Saren sacrificed a lot of lifes to accomplish his goal without even looking for alternatives - which is Anderson's perspective, anyways. Doesn't really mean he's even so much as emotionally cold, and that's how I responded: "Sometimes you have to sacrifice a thousand lifes to save a million."

If Anderson didn't end up being right you could bet your ass he'd have a less "important" job sooner or later. Questionable if he'd be allowed to keep his medals, too, with how prejudiced he is and allowing that to influence his desicions.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    I've never done a no-Legion run.

I'll kill many people, but not Legion.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I'm more than happy to make everybody in that little dispute live happily ever after, but if shepard's in a situation where she has to pick one, she's picking the geth and honestly it's not that close

Yeah, I always make peace, because it's the right thing to do and it's not even very hard to do.

But.

The Quarians are idiots.

• Options
    I've never done a no-Legion run.

I'll kill many people, but not Legion.

To make it worse I'm fairly certain the VI is in Legions image.

So it's like nega-Legion, all the awesome of a Geth, but a dick rather than adorable.

• Options
    Quarians are straight up murderers. Tell me, how are they different from
    the Catalyst? It's the exact same, only the Catalyst is a synthetic murdering organics while the Quarians are organics slaughtering synthetics.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I thought the idea was that it's basically Legion, but like a bizarro-Legion that never developed an attachment to shepard.

also punching that one admiral is like, my favorite moment in ME3

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular

Yeah, I always make peace, because it's the right thing to do and it's not even very hard to do.

But.

The Quarians are idiots.
    My save would disagree. I can't make peace with Tali having died after shooting herself on the collector base for being useless in combat. On the plus side, I always choose destroy so you know what? FREE UNINHABITED RETIREMENT PLANET!

• Options
    Because when the Quarian's started doing it they were basically de-commisioning their smart phones and when the
    Catalyst/Apex race did it they did so to prevent Synthetics murdering organics by making sure they commited mass genocide in a controlled fashion.

There's a pretty clear difference there.

• Options
    I actually like the fact that there are two spots in the game where you are essentially choosing between two big war assets, but in one there is a very ruthless, sneaky, underhanded way to get both armies, and in the second there is a crowning moment of awesome paragon way to get both.

So you don't really lose out by being renegade shep or paragon shep, as long as you're not wishy-washy shep.

Now, manipulating things so you score both armies both times does probably require a kind of schizophrenic shep or heavy metagaming.

• Options
    Because when the Quarian's started doing it they were basically de-commisioning their smart phones and when the
    Catalyst/Apex race did it they did so to prevent Synthetics murdering organics by making sure they commited mass genocide in a controlled fashion.

There's a pretty clear difference there.

To be fair,
    creating an AI - even with this positive intention - with this kind of power, with no shackles or anything? That rivals Quarian stupidity

Well, I guess even with Quarian behavior the Geth did their fair share of killing themselves. But, still. I mean what does the question "Do I have a soul? Do I have a purpose?" remind you of? Definitely reminds me of a child's first philosophical thoughts. How can you kill someone like this in cold blood?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »

But.

The Quarians are idiots.
    My save would disagree. I can't make peace with Tali having died after shooting herself on the collector base for being useless in combat. On the plus side, I always choose destroy so you know what? FREE UNINHABITED RETIREMENT PLANET!

Because I'm Mild Confusion, I would have...
    Really liked it if I was forced to choose one or the other. I would have picked the geth and watched all the quarians go extinct because of their cultural stupidity.

Then, I'd pick destroy.

Mwahahahahaha!

steam_sig.png

• Options

But.

The Quarians are idiots.

Certain outcomes do become unavailable when key figures have died in previous games; Shepard isn't the only pivotal figure in the galaxy.

That's why I try really hard not to let people die.

Of course, making sure Wrex lives precludes the maximum war assets outcome from Tuchanka. So making sure everyone lives doesn't result in the strongest possible army.

• Options
    Probably because the child has potential to cause massive damage based on where it's thinkings leave it's opinion of their current position.

To me Quarian vs Geth is like so many other sci-fi stories where man makes a machine that rises against them. Except here it doesn't happen because 'the machine learnt it was a slave' but because the Quarians freaked out about the potential of that happening. It's kinda sad really from both sides perspectives.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    So, after clearing the Turian Soldier for commando started working on the ghost and some of the other AR masteries... and I put on the Adas with Magazine and the HV Barrel), with inferno ammo for explosions.

I thought people were saying it was bad? I cleared the 140k points challenge in 2 balanced (as in myself and others broke 100k) games, and I wasn't even taking full advantage of the cloaked damage boost. The first match was geth hydra gold and second reaper giant gold. Need to see how it fares vs cerberus and collectors I guess but I really liked it.

Also not sure if it's bugged or I need to restart ME but the gun doesn't make any sounds when I shoot it (switched weapons to confirm that it's just that gun). But it shoots exploding marshmallows at stuff! Neat!

I've had the game go silent on me before or certain elements, it's been pretty disarming.

• Options

But.

The Quarians are idiots.

Really liked it if I was forced to choose one or the other. I would have picked the geth and watched all the quarians go extinct because of their cultural stupidity.

Then, I'd pick destroy.

Mwahahahahaha!

Eh
    You can easily chose one side or the other if that's what you want. Even if peace is an option you are not forced into it.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

But.

The Quarians are idiots.

Then, I'd pick destroy.

Mwahahahahaha!

Yeah that's what I did.
    With Tali dead, peace was impossible. So I chose the geth and the quarian fleet died like a little bitch in a surprisingly pretty cutscene. That's what I meant by uninhabited retirement planet. EVERYONE from Rannoch is dead, be it organic or synthetic.

You should try it on a future playthrough. Just some minor variations here and there. For me the primary stuff was
    Wrex and Tali dead, Maelon's data destroyed
    and the feel of it has been VERY different. The writers did an amazing job.

Strikor on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    if there's one thing the Mission in Citadel taught me

it's that all council races are goddamn idiots

including humanity

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    In the perfect universe Shepard organises everyones shit and is in complete control.

• Options

But.

The Quarians are idiots.

Then, I'd pick destroy.

Mwahahahahaha!

Yeah that's what I did.
    With Tali dead, peace was impossible. So I chose the geth and the quarian fleet died like a little bitch in a surprisingly pretty cutscene. That's what I meant by uninhabited retirement planet. EVERYONE from Rannoch is dead, be it organic or synthetic.

You should try it on a future playthrough. Just some minor variations here and there. For me the primary stuff was
    Wrex and Tali dead, Maelon's data destroyed
    and the feel of it has been VERY different. The writers did an amazing job.

I have no doubt it is well written, but as I already found the game rather dark even with scoring all the "good" moments I doubt I'd enjoy a playthrough where even those moments where things actually work out right were replaced by more grim.

• Options

But.

The Quarians are idiots.

Then, I'd pick destroy.

Mwahahahahaha!

Eh
    You can easily chose one side or the other if that's what you want. Even if peace is an option you are not forced into it.

I know I can, but I don't because I'm very pragmatic. If I can get both, I will. I need to save the galaxy, no matter the cost. Not give in to some silly notion like "justice".

Feeble notions like that are nothing when compared to extinction.

If I was forced to choose, it would be different. Geth are the bigger risk, but waaay more rewarding.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Lately while playing I've noticed some very weird things : like seeing a turian soldier being the size of a geth juggernaut+ a cabal only showing up temporarily as a pair of gauntlets. Anyone else have stuff like this?

• Options
    I've had my weapons remain cloaked constantly in single player. That was kinda funny, killing people with mind bullets.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    In the perfect universe Shepard organises everyones shit and is in complete control.

So blue ending then. :bz

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited March 2013

But.

The Quarians are idiots.

Then, I'd pick destroy.

Mwahahahahaha!

Eh

I know I can, but I don't because I'm very pragmatic. If I can get both, I will. I need to save the galaxy, no matter the cost. Not give in to some silly notion like "justice".

Feeble notions like that are nothing when compared to extinction.

If I was forced to choose, it would be different. Geth are the bigger risk, but waaay more rewarding.

I think after all the set up with the Quarians and Geth,
    but especially with what happens in ME2, if there had been no way to resolve the Geth-Quarian conflict peacefully it would have been a huge failure of writing.

On par with the unextended ending, or worse.

-edit-

Spoilered it just in case.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    New thread time yet?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Note that the Geth can never seem to help themselves whenever the Reapers sidle up to them and show some leg, even well past the point when the Geth should know what the Reapers' goal is.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Note that the Geth can never seem to help themselves whenever the Reapers sidle up to them and show some leg, even well past the point when the Geth should know what the Reapers' goal is.

Not true, and explained in game
    When the Quarians blew up the Geth megastrucure they killed so many Geth that it significantly reduced the ability of the Geth to make higher level moral decisions.

Otherwise they never would have allied with the Reapers; only the diminished consensus valued mere survival enough to sell out to the Reapers.

That's why Legion had to upload himself to the rest of the Geth, that was the only way the remaining Geth would again achieve enough intelligence to meet (and exceed) their previous level of moral reasoning.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular