As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Arthropod Appreciation Amnesty (NSFCHORDATES)

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I just bought a marmorkreb for ten bucks. I want to see how far this rabbit hole goes (and I have a spare fish tank).

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well now we know who to blame when the marmorkreb infestation gets out of control.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Also regarding marmorkrebs:
    The Madagascar population is growing rapidly,[14] causing concern among local authorities.[17]

LgQucF4.jpg

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Dru I cannot deal with that post

Post of the year

tumblr_m054g6UfCc1qe7ksz.gif

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    horseshoe crabs are my favorite kind of footwear crabs

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Marmorkrebs are pretty compared to regular crawfish. I want to have a mixed boil to compare tastes.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Unlike vertebrates, horseshoe crabs do not have hemoglobin in their blood, but instead use hemocyanin to carry oxygen. Because of the copper present in hemocyanin, their blood is blue. Their blood contains amebocytes, which play a role similar to white blood cells for vertebrates in defending the organism against pathogens. Amebocytes from the blood of L. polyphemus are used to make Limulus amebocyte lysate, which is used for the detection of bacterial endotoxins.
    Harvesting horseshoe crab blood involves collecting and bleeding the animals, and then releasing them back into the sea. Most of the animals survive the process; mortality is correlated with both the amount of blood extracted from an individual animal, and the stress experienced during handling and transportation.[11] Estimates of mortality rates following blood harvesting vary from 3 to 15%.[12]

horseshoe crabs are fucking AWESOME. they are like one of the oldest organisms around too its just silly how old.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    oh my god it's us we are the vampires

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    It's cool, they survive like 85% of the time.

Whenever I get rich/bored enough to maintain a saltwater fish tank I'm so getting a horseshoe crab.

• IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I'd imagine you'd need a huge tank for a horseshoe crab.

Huge tanks are more stable anyways, which is a good thing really. Again, I'd need to be much better off and much more bored to even go for an aquarium project of that size.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    @BugBoy I found this little guy hanging out on a hand towel in my bathroom. any ideas?

linked for kind of big

Looks like it might be a coccinellid/ladybird/ladybug although the front of the elytra seems shaped differently than is typical for coccinellids.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Hmmm, I also neglected to take the scale into account. That's a really small beetle, so I doubt it's a coccinellid after all.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    that is much less exciting than I was hoping for

Oh hey I have a bunch of those in my house. They end up in books and things sometimes.

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

what if I told you that museums use them to clean the flesh off of specimens

BugBoy wrote: »
    Kilroy wrote: »

what if I told you that museums use them to clean the flesh off of specimens

the head honcho of the archaeology program I graduated from told me that he would get a colony of flesh-eating beetles if I would come back as a grad student and take care of them

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I hope you didn't fall for that old line.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This is actually a spider crab

tumblrmjxj6m7olp1qzou5k.jpg

wanna eat that crab

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    wanna eat that crab

just look at all that delicious leg meat

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    wanna eat that crab

79800850.jpg

• Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    This is actually a spider crab

tumblrmjxj6m7olp1qzou5k.jpg

Man that ain't cool, going for a full nelson on a crab. Dudes can't even reach behind themselves to begin with.

Alternatively:
    That guy is totally boning that crab. Look at his face.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    My two favorite arthropods:

Jumping spiders, because we had some living around our door last year, and they're pretty neat:
    jumping-spider.jpg

And lobsters, because I read a book about one when I was in 3rd grade, and they taste delicious:
    Blue-lobster.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Those are both good choices. You have good arthropinions.

Did you know lobsters are thought to be biologically immortal, as in they do not die of old age only of illness/predation/injury. And they also become more fertile as they get older.

Clearly God made them so tasty because otherwise the planet would be overrun with ancient, horny lobsters.

edited March 2013
    OKay, but before people starting seriously chowing down on Maine lobster, why weren't 50 ft long lobster turning up for Viking warriors to do battle with?

EIDT: Man, I'd play that game.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Also, when did people decide ocean going "bugs" looked delicious?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    [quote="valhalla130;26178666"]Also, when did people decide ocean going "bugs" looked delicious? [/quote]

They didn't! They actually thought they looked nasty and fed them to poor/slaves. So much so that many servents had clauses in their contract stating their employers couldn't feed them lobster more than twice a week. Otherwise, they just used them as compost.

Then around the middle of the 19th centuary, someone decided they could make bank if they just marketed the things, and it worked. Even now though in Maine its less a fancy shmancy rich folk thing and more of a staple. I actually saw it being sold at McDonalds there.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    That's it. I'm moving to Maine. I like winters, and we don't have those here in Georgia, so it will be a win/win for me.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    when i was in montreal one of my housemates was from maine and her dad would drive up with a paper bag full of live lobsters and throw us a feast

down here you get moreton bay bug, which looks like this

4d.jpg

it is also pretty delicious

I'm pretty sure the lobster being sold at a McDonalds is pretty crap quality. Not all lobster is equal.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Actually from what I'm reading on Wikipedia, its likely local softshell lobster which is the cheapest type of lobster.... and also the most delicious. It simply can't travel anywhere but locally because it dies, so it can't be shipped, so its not worth as much, despite the fact that it is the most delicious.

Fucking lobster fishermen, keeping all the good lobsters.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    OKay, but before people starting seriously chowing down on Maine lobster, why weren't 50 ft long lobster turning up for Viking warriors to do battle with? EIDT: Man, I'd play that game.

Live long enough in the wild and something will eat you, or you will get injured or sick.

Relatively few wild animals die of old age.

Also I don't know if they eternally get bigger. They probably still have a size where they practically stop growing.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    yeah, I don't understand how anyone thinks living longer means that organism just keeps getting bigger
    humans are a pretty obvious example of how this isn't true!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    but human lifespan has increased throughout history and the average height of people has also increased and also people are way fatter now

so people clearly get bigger as they live longer

2x39jD4.jpg