Options

[IndustryThread]Riccitiello no longer EA CEO/will "Marry strong whiskey with strong liver"

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...Oh crap...there is a new Super Robot Wars game that we will probably never get!

I didn't know that.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    I never cared about multi player and seeing it shoved in games like that always made me think how desperate they are to have it in everything nowadays. I mean does that really help, is it that much of a selling point.

I really don't think it does, unless your multiplayer is truly exceptional, which most aren't.

I mean enough people bought Dishonored that it suddenly became a franchise. I don't see how the inability to go around getting shanked by other people who then proceed to tea-bag you was to the game's detriment.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    The other side of the coin with multiplayer, is one has to wonder how often there is something unique enough in there that people will never play because its just 'tacked' on to a single player game. And if it would be better served as a stand-alone multiplayer release. Like wasn't Bioshock 2's multi supposed to be interesting?

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    And here's the full Media Create report from someone with better Japanese skills than me.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526734

Media Create Sales: Week 11, 2013 (Mar 11 - Mar 17)

01./00. [PSP] Sword Art Online: Infinity Moment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥6.280) - 138.180 / NEW
    02./00. [PS3] Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.14} (¥6.980) - 128.414 / NEW
    03./00. [3DS] Super Robot Wars UX # <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.14} (¥7.140) - 115.384 / NEW
    04./04. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 58.578 / 2.861.517 (-7%)
    05./02. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.07} (¥5.980) - 29.121 / 121.517 (-68%)
    06./01. [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f <ACT> (Sega) {2013.03.07} (¥7.329) - 26.248 / 136.477 (-76%)
    07./06. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.02.28} (¥7.560) - 22.122 / 272.211 (-53%)
    08./00. [PS3] God of War: Ascension # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.03.14} (¥5.980) - 19.744 / NEW
    09./08. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization A <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500) - 14.976 / 175.740 (-50%)
    10./09. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090) - 14.813 / 1.174.077 (-38%)
    11./07. [PS3] Far Cry 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2013.03.07} (¥7.770) - 14.772 / 48.054 (-56%)
    12./00. [PS3] Darkstalkers Resurrection <FTG> (Capcom) {2013.03.14} (¥2.990) - 11.591 / NEW
    13./11. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800) - 11.396 / 121.698 (-48%)
    14./19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 8.747 / 1.959.564 (+3%)
    15./05. [PSV] Tales of Hearts R # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.07} (¥6.480) - 8.409 / 63.668 (-85%)
    16./14. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan <ADV> (FuRyu) {2013.03.07} (¥5.229) - 8.267 / 21.035 (-35%)
    17./12. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance # <ACT> (Konami) {2013.02.21} (¥6.980) - 7.544 / 394.452 (-58%)
    18./00. [PS3] Winning Post 7 2013 <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.03.14} (¥7.560) - 7.143 / NEW
    19./20. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 7.098 / 259.835 (-12%)
    20./13. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980) - 6.902 / 118.364 (-60%)

Top 20

3DS - 8
    PS3 - 8
    PSV - 3
    PSP - 1

|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
    | 3DS # | 69.439 | 61.008 | 64.017 | 1.114.862 | 1.024.513 | 10.894.742 |
    | PSV | 36.028 | 63.581 | 10.021 | 263.191 | 180.097 | 1.394.016 |
    | PS3 | 20.676 | 19.567 | 27.900 | 261.903 | 371.101 | 9.121.987 |
    | PSP # | 12.721 | 18.023 | 18.633 | 184.826 | 239.743 | 19.813.837 |
    | WIU | 9.539 | 9.454 | | 192.733 | | 820.020 |
    | WII | 1.323 | 1.363 | 8.127 | 22.687 | 141.605 | 12.661.523 |
    | 360 | 543 | 738 | 1.145 | 8.340 | 15.775 | 1.622.174 |
    | ALL | 150.269 | 173.734 | 132.478 | 2.048.542 | 2.009.811 | 56.328.299 |
    | 3DSLL | 47.985 | 39.801 | | 706.013 | | 2.796.384 |
    | 3DS | 21.454 | 21.207 | 64.017 | 408.849 | 1.024.513 | 8.098.358 |
    | PSP | 12.721 | 18.023 | 18.633 | 184.826 | 239.743 | 19.637.850 |

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    I never cared about multi player and seeing it shoved in games like that always made me think how desperate they are to have it in everything nowadays. I mean does that really help, is it that much of a selling point.

I really don't think it does, unless your multiplayer is truly exceptional, which most aren't.

I mean enough people bought Dishonored that it suddenly became a franchise. I don't see how the inability to go around getting shanked by other people who then proceed to tea-bag you was to the game's detriment.

It simply isn't needed in most cases and a lot certainly don't really accumulate a community. Plus you got cases where the developer of games like Spec Ops openly complained how it was forced on them and added nothing but problems.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And don't most multiplayer communities of all but the biggest hits die off after the first month or two? This weird chase for multiplayer development seems to be an echo of the weird chase for AAAAAA experiences, especially when it comes to adding development costs.

I'm not anti-multiplayer, I just wish the publishers would learn to concentrate multiplayer on games that make sense rather than just shoehorning it in.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I don't think the majority of developers who add MP to SP are trying to create MP communities.

If anything I think they're just going for the "added value" of "Hey, this game has MP too."

Not to get into this argument again, but even on this forum you get people saying "I'm not going to buy so and so game at full price if its only this long."

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    MS really is going for a no used game, kinect everywhere, probably subscription subsidized console, aren't they? The first rumor sounded weird but oddly plausible and we've had nothing but confirmation to those rumors for the past two years.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    MS really is going for a no used game, kinect everywhere, probably subscription subsidized console, aren't they? The first rumor sounded weird but oddly plausible and we've had nothing but confirmation to those rumors for the past two years.

Know how you can buy a disc these days used but if the DLC was used you got to pay ten or whatever bucks to unlock that? I fully expect that to be what happens to used games....only it will be the full price of the disc to begin with. That way MS and Sony can see you absolutely resell the disc and so they're not blocking used sales.....but it'll be the key that matters in the end.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And don't most multiplayer communities of all but the biggest hits die off after the first month or two? This weird chase for multiplayer development seems to be an echo of the weird chase for AAAAAA experiences, especially when it comes to adding development costs.

I'm not anti-multiplayer, I just wish the publishers would learn to concentrate multiplayer on games that make sense rather than just shoehorning it in.

I think a lot of publishers are working on the assumption that the:

"I just want to play with my bros on eksbawks!"

- Effect is strong enough to noticeably impact sales. How much it actually does is up for debate.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options

Know how you can buy a disc these days used but if the DLC was used you got to pay ten or whatever bucks to unlock that? I fully expect that to be what happens to used games....only it will be the full price of the disc to begin with. That way MS and Sony can see you absolutely resell the disc and so they're not blocking used sales.....but it'll be the key that matters in the end.

Why would Gamestop or anywhere else even bother to take in a disc just to issue a same price download code? They won't.

• Options
    Well, by "multiplayer communities" I mean "you can actually find people to play with."

I can buy the added value thing, but how much of a sales bump it actually makes is a big unknown.

• Options
    Does anyone know where pre-orders land on those price charts? Are they taken into account in the first week sales of a game, or do we not know what they are until someone says something?

• Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    Im probably in the minority here but if an always online xbox with installed games means I can launch all my games from the dashboard without ever having to switch discs? I am 100% onboard.

The mandatory Kinect thing could be a dealbreaker thing for me depending on how they handle it.

0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options

Why would Gamestop or anywhere else even bother to take in a disc just to issue a same price download code? They won't.

Why do people trade in games when they lose most if not all the value even if said game is sold again almost for full price?

Why do people buy used games that are five bucks cheaper only to go buy the DLC they lost out on for ten more bucks?

Why did people buy horse armor for 2.50

Why do people waste their money like that at all.

People are stupid.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    As a note to the Media Create sales, Soul Sacrifice sold about 22k copies of the double pack of the game last week (a more expensive SKU which gave you an extra copy of the game to give to a friend) so the LTD is actually a bit higher than 121k.

It's interesting that the Vita is now the 2nd best selling game system in Japan for 2013. I don't expect that to last (the PS3 is right behind it and the Vita doesn't really have anything big software-wise in the next few weeks) but it shows just how poor the Japanese market is doing at the moment outside of the 3DS.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Pre-orders are no different than a person walking into Target the day it releases and buying it.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Allforce wrote: »
    Pre-orders are no different than a person walking into Target the day it releases and buying it.

So they're rolled into the day 1 sales basically?

edit: I guess I'm just confusing myself because I haven't ever preordered a game at a physical location. I'm thinking in terms of steam which makes you buy it when you preorder. But that would be accounted for in sales anyways.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    mantis23 wrote: »
    Im probably in the minority here but if an always online xbox with installed games means I can launch all my games from the dashboard without ever having to switch discs? I am 100% onboard.

The mandatory Kinect thing could be a dealbreaker thing for me depending on how they handle it.

If by installed you mean downloaded, or streamed, sure.

No way they'd ever let you install from disc and then play without putting the disc in.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Of course they are, but what incentive does Gamestop have for taking in said used games at all or for MS and 3rd party publishers to issue codes for the same price?

• Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

No way they'd ever let you install from disc and then play without putting the disc in.

With a key, why not? It would be no different than a downloaded version of the game. I imagine thats what they are working towards, the PC model. you can either buy the games through xbox live, or install from a disc and put in the key to activate it.

0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Pretty much, this is:
    *skeldare buys Halo 5,
    *inputs activation key from slip of paper in box,
    *XBox verifies disc key and activation key
    *skeldare sells Halo 5 to GameStop
    *Gamestop sells Halo 5 to Allforce
    *Allforce pays Microsoft X dollars for activation key

So in a "too bizarre to be true" situation you might be looking at paying MORE for used games this next-gen.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Animal Crossing is in 4th place after how many months? That fucking game man. I'm so amused by its success.

It's Tom Nook. Everyone admires Tom Nook. He's got a sweet asssssss.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

With a key, why not? It would be no different than a downloaded version of the game. I imagine thats what they are working towards, the PC model. you can either buy the games through xbox live, or install from a disc and put in the key to activate it.

Sorry, didn't see anything mentioned about a key in your post. At that point, sure why not as long as it's not something that could be used on multiple consoles.

But I'm not sure if I would ever want to purchase a console like that...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Sony's going to get some more exclusive games... some very weird ones.
    Today, Sony revealed that it has partnered up with an all-new development studio – Ovosonico – in order to create “new intellectual property.” In other words, new PlayStation exclusives. Whether or not the developer will simply come up with concepts or deliver the games that spawn from new IP remains to be seen.

Ovosonico is headed-up by Massimo Guarini, previously of Grasshopper Manufacture, the Suda 51-driven studio known best for No More Heroes and Shadows of the Damned.

In a press release, Guarini noted that “SCE Worldwide Studios Europe understands out [sic] vision and we are thrilled to partner with them. We strongly feel they are the perfect partner for us.” Based in Italy, Sony’s Michael Denny said that “This is the first studio [Sony has] worked with in Italy and due to the growing talent in this country; we believe the first of many.”

It’s important to note that Ovosonico is not a Sony-owned studio – like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Polyphony Digital or Sony’s nine other studios – but rather an independent studio that’s signed on to make PlayStation exclusives (like Quantic Dream, Ready at Dawn, Ninja Theory, et cetera).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/19/sony-partners-with-brand-new-studio-for-playstation-exclusives?abthid=5148a81f5a72657b5e00000b

If you're wondering whether Ovosonico will carry on the gonzo tradition of Grasshopper, the logo should clear things up:

OVO_Banner_ABOUT-610x150.jpg

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I own and play Tomb Raider and I didn't even have any idea that it had MP shoehorned in.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Yeah, multiplayer is shoe-horned in to try and make a game bigger or rake in more money, and yet the mulitplayer market is if anything even harsher then the normal game market. You need to secure a steady and decently sized community and hold it or your game is dead very quickly.

And yet we get tons of effort and money diverted from the single-player portion of the game to put it in everything.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/onlive-we-didn-t-go-bankrupt-we-didn-t-shut-down-we-just-restructured/0112768
    The new chairman of streaming games firm OnLive has criticised the press for what he says was misrepresentation of OnLive’s “restructuring” last year.

Things appeared to have gone very wrong for OnLive back in August 2012, with significant job losses and a change of ownership as well as the loss of former boss and founder Steve Perlman.

Tales of woe swiftly followed, with claims that OnLive had just 1,600 concurrent users.

The events of August were later described by then new CEO Charles Jablonski as a “transition”, stating: “I’d never minimise both the emotions and the pain when you go through a transition like that.”

However, in a new blog post by chairman and majority owner Gary Lauder – his first since taking the job – plays down the events of last year.

“When the restructuring of OnLive happened in August, many misunderstood it to mean that the service and company were shutting down,” he wrote. “Neither occurred, nor did we go bankrupt. We should have communicated better.

“As Mark Twain wrote, ‘The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated’. Same with us. Our service continued without interruption both in the USA and overseas, and we have about 90 employees.”

Lauder is also optimistic about the year ahead, adding:

“It has been seven months since I jumped in to save OnLive from a financing mishap, and I have had the opposite of buyer’s remorse: buyer’s elation! 2013 is shaping up to be a great year at OnLive, and I want to share some of our good news.

“We have already delivered some significant milestones for the OnLive Game Service, in particular, being incorporated into our first third party device, the VIZIO Co-Star, and into Google TVs, starting with the impressive LG G3 Series – with more to come.

“We continue to bring new game publishers and games into the mix, and released Witcher 2:Assassins of Kings Enhanced release from CD Projekt RED on Thursday, February 28th with a special promotion, which includes a free a digital download copy of the game for PCs with purchase of a Full PlayPass. We are busy exploring other new ways to serve our users’ and publishers’ interests capitalizing on our unique abilities.

“We’re expecting great things in 2013, and with Don’s vision and expertise to fuel us, you can trust that it’s only the start.”
    So are the sales any better or are they still the shits?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

You're not in the minority. A lot of people own PCs.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Man, it's a little crazy how Valve just constantly keeps pushing new functionality to Steam. It's like. You can take a break guys, honest!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Okay, this is big.

Steam introduces Early Access Games.

http://store.steampowered.com/earlyaccessfaq/

You know I honestly never understood why more companies didn't do this. I mean sure you probably don't want to with every game.

But as far as games go that center around MP its like, hey...free beta testers.

• Options
    ShatterShockShatterShock Registered User regular
    I'm just waiting for OnLive to get bought out by Microsoft already. With a name like that, it's like they're begging to be integrated into XBox Live. Otherwise, I fully expect OnLive to get muscled out of the market when bigger names get serious about cloud gaming.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Uuum, I play almost exclusively on the PC and always-on is dumb as shit, not to mention that every PC game that has come out that used extraneous always-on DRM has had massive scandal and failure involved. Steam is most definitely not always-on DRM, which is definitely the standard for PC gaming.

• Options
    AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    The main reason I have anything on Desura is that games in development are not sold on Steam. So much for that. Maybe this will help to avoid situations like Towns at release.

• Options
    edited March 2013

Uuum, I play almost exclusively on the PC and always-on is dumb as shit, not to mention that every PC game that has come out that used extraneous always-on DRM has had massive scandal and failure involved. Steam is most definitely not always-on DRM, which is definitely the standard for PC gaming.

Plus having mandatory installs removes one of the conveniences consoles have over PCs. It's a small thing, but it's there. I own a 360 and a PS3, and I still get annoyed whenever I have a PS3 game that requires me to sit around for 10 minutes rather than let me play immediately.

Though again, I'm hoping the 720 mandatory installs are because the in-development dev kits haven't been optimized.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular

Why do people trade in games when they lose most if not all the value even if said game is sold again almost for full price?

Why do people buy used games that are five bucks cheaper only to go buy the DLC they lost out on for ten more bucks?

Why did people buy horse armor for 2.50

Why do people waste their money like that at all.

I think the answer to all your questions is
    "They don't."
    (Though, I have to admit I don't know what the first questions means.)
    As for not having to pay for DLC I don't want? Great, IMO.
    But in my experience those (used) games usually already come with a key for that stuff, it just means the re-seller made less profit.

Or maybe I just missed the sales figures for the US$2.50 horse armor.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

There's a difference between that being the option and that being required, though.

Every Vita game can be bought digitally. That's great!

But it would not be great if that was the only way to get it.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Plus having mandatory installs removes one of the conveniences consoles have over PCs. It's a small thing, but it's there. I own a 360 and a PS3, and I still get annoyed whenever I have a PS3 game that requires me to sit around for 10 minutes rather than let me play immediately.

Though again, I'm hoping the 720 mandatory installs are because the in-development dev kits haven't been optimized.

I install literally every 360 game, because I'd prefer not to listen to an optical drive spinning, and I enjoy the reduction in load times. I would not even notice "mandatory" installs, as it's something I reflexively do anyway.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    This is the Early Access game everyone should have: Kerbal Space Program. I'm proud of this Mexican studio. :)

Reviews for Survival Instinct are in the works, X360 intro video has a mouse cursor sitting right there in one of the corners of the screen.