Options

[chat]muting

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Motherfuck. I just spilled slightly sweetened carbonated water all over my damn desk and keyboard.

Cleaned it up...now the waiting period to see what I missed when things start to get sticky.

Better than things getting sticky and waiting on a period.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    What does Visa charge a merchant? Like 2%?

It's really an obligation of the consumer to factor that into the decision to use a credit card.

As a consumer, I give zero fucks. I want X for $Y. If I can get points/cash back all the better for me.

This is selfish and shortsighted

Not really, bro. O_o
    But whatever, there aint no need to make it personal.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

It's really an obligation of the consumer to factor that into the decision to use a credit card.
    As a consumer, I give zero fucks. I want X for $Y. If I can get points/cash back all the better for me.
    Here's the problem: you're paying extra in order to cover credit card processing fees if you're not using a credit card. So, you can either get your rewards points, or you can get screwed, where you pay for other people's rewards, and don't get any of your own.

In a fair system, it would be illegal for the credit card companies to charge merchants a fee at all; they should have to charge the consumer, so the consumer can choose whether or not to pay the fee. But there isn't a Congressman or Executive Branch member out there with the cajones to say so.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    And what the wedding may look like.

http://youtu.be/1TIiquUeu-A

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

if i have more money through rewards programs i have more money to spend at the store

Merchant fees lead to higher prices

This post assumes that your demand at a given store is dependent on your resources more than your need for their goods and services, which I find dubious

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    a girl I know has a Darkthrone mug which she uses for black coffee

swoon

• Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    atlantic-rim.jpg

May The Asylum never change.

And when this hits Netflix it will have:
    "Not to be associated with the feature film Pacific Rim"
    in the description. It's amazing how many of these types of bait and switch movies are out there.
    "Mockbuster" is the term I've heard used to describe them. Like Transmorphers, which featured the line "the spectrum is off the spectrum."

In other news, it is snowing here this morning. What the fuck, Seattle? It's goddamn March. Get your shit together.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Here's the problem: you're paying extra in order to cover credit card processing fees if you're not using a credit card. So, you can either get your rewards points, or you can get screwed, where you pay for other people's rewards, and don't get any of your own.

In a fair system, it would be illegal for the credit card companies to charge merchants a fee at all; they should have to charge the consumer, so the consumer can choose whether or not to pay the fee. But there isn't a Congressman or Executive Branch member out there with the cajones to say so.

Yeah, this idea that you need to consider the cost to the merchant doesn't make sense to me.

Credit card charges are stupid as hell, but a cost of doing business. It is up to the merchant to consider that when they add the card option to their till, not the customer.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I dunno if Load qualifies as 'best metal' but it's certainly Metallica's best album.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Anybody here have experience with the Rollercoaster Tycoons and can tell me which one is considered the best?

@Couscous. If you can only get one, get #2 because it is #1 refined plus Six Flags rollercoasters. 3 is more expensive, but the 3-dimensional parks are a nice upgrade.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Well there has been some progress on this; CC companies are no longer allowed to prohibit merchants from charging those fees to the consumer.

And accepting credit cards is voluntary anyway, so it's tricky legal ground to tread. It just so happens that the American Consumer is largely ignorant and willing to screw himself and his fellow consumer for a perceived short-term gain.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

Yeah, this idea that you need to consider the cost to the merchant doesn't make sense to me.

Credit card charges are stupid as hell, but a cost of doing business. It is up to the merchant to consider that when they add the card option to their till, not the customer.

Also I'm not losing sleep over Amazon getting 2% less money from me

"but... but... what about their ivory back scratchers...?"

ABLOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Yeah, that shit should be up to Congress, not me.
    If they want to create a federal interchange system with a low merchant fee I would be all the fuck over that. Credit cards are practically a utility as far as Im concerned.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I dunno if Load qualifies as 'best metal' but it's certainly Metallica's best album.

fry.jpg

• Options

Except that for most businesses, not accepting Visa or Mastercard isn't really an option, it's pretty much mandatory. And allowing the credit card companies to charge the business obfuscates this cost from the consumer.

Charging the consumer--the one making the choice as to whether or not to use a credit card--is really the only fair way to do it. It also means that the consumers who want the convenience of using a card will pay for that convenience, and the ones who would prefer not to pay for it can simply use cash.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Well there has been some progress on this; CC companies are no longer allowed to prohibit merchants from charging those fees to the consumer.

And accepting credit cards is voluntary anyway, so it's tricky legal ground to tread. It just so happens that the American Consumer is largely ignorant and willing to screw himself and his fellow consumer for a perceived short-term gain.

That's where this whole thing falls apart. Merchants make the decision whether or not to accept credit cards.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The CC companies don't have enough responsibility considering the huge sledgehammer of power they can wield against a merchant.

• Options
    Casual wrote: »

ABLOOOOOOOOOOOO

...how would you pay for an Amazon purchase in cash?

• Options

ABLOOOOOOOOOOOO

You buy foreign manufactured merchandise from an internet retailer?
    That's selfish and shortsighted.
    You should buy your dildos from a local artisan.

• Options

That's where this whole thing falls apart. Merchants make the decision whether or not to accept credit cards.
    In the same way I make the decision as to whether or not to breathe, yes.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    a girl I know has a Darkthrone mug which she uses for black coffee

swoon

8->

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

fry.jpg

Oh, I'm serious.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    tim leary you are hilarious

919UOwT.png
  • Options

ABLOOOOOOOOOOOO

...how would you pay for an Amazon purchase in cash?

Amazon is a place holder for any large corporation i don't give a fuck about having to pay a fee

i wouldnd have used tesco but i couldnt be bothered to explain who they were to non British people :P

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Guys

Should I tip 3% more when using a credit card to offset transaction fees.

• Options
    Point: It it worth considering whether to support the practice of diverting a percentage of all personal transactions to an unrelated third party in a way that raises costs across the board for all consumers, and weighing this against the potential convenience afforded when using a card over cash.

Counterpoint: Not my problem lol

• Options

fry.jpg

Oh, I'm serious.

:rotate:

• Options

ABLOOOOOOOOOOOO

You buy foreign manufactured merchandise from an internet retailer?
    That's selfish and shortsighted.
    You should buy your dildos from a local artisan.

if the artizan in question would like to drive a van of his wares to my house and charge prices comparible to what i would get online i'd be delighted to sir

• Options
    I would feel terrible if I were out somewhere to eat and I had to think "Fuck...do I have enough money on me?"

The last time I even thought about whether I had enough cash was new years morning when I couldn't work out whether I had enough beans for car service + tip.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

In the same way I make the decision as to whether or not to breathe, yes.

I'm not sure the bulk of retail stores could survive without the ability to take credit cards. I'm not sure it really is a valid option for most of them to go cardless. It would be almost impossible for e-commerce based businesses to survive based on people sending them checks.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Is that that rape game

• Options
    I use a credit card. At the gas pump, for example, paying with cash would involve putting down $40 and then going back in for my change.

But if I'm at the you-scan at the grocery, or especially when dealing with a small merchant (those phone swipe apps can charge up to 10% from what I've seen) then it's pretty dickish to not pay cash because ugh I would be inconvenienced

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Guys

the opposite, actually

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    i wouldnd have used tesco but i couldnt be bothered to explain who they were to non British people :P

dude the word Tesco appears approximately 1,143.5 times per 100-page chat thread

it is basically the unofficial sponsor of early-AM chat

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Guys

IF I tipped I would tip in cash so they wouldn't have to pay taxes on it

#onepercent

• Options
    I use a credit card. At the gas pump, for example, paying with cash would involve putting down $40 and then going back in for my change.

But if I'm at the you-scan at the grocery, or especially when dealing with a small merchant (those phone swipe apps can charge up to 10% from what I've seen) then it's pretty dickish to not pay cash because ugh I would be inconvenienced

i would have to care deeply about the business in question for me to think like that

i wouldnt call it "dickish", it's a cost of doing business

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Metallica's best album was Master of Puppets, followed by Ride the Lightning. I actually think half of Load is decent, while the other half is terrible.

This discussion has been closed.