As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

CPU Temp 99 Degrees Celsius...!?

DockenDocken Registered User regular
Ok, so I have this problem which I don't quite know what to do about.

By way of background; I have owned this computer for around 3.5 years. In all this time, it's worked flawlessly - perfectly stable, no glitches, everything smooth as butter.

Specs:

I5 705 2.66 OC'd to 3.2
4Gigs DDR3 1333
1 Terra
Micro ATX
GTX 560 Ti

So, middle of the road these days, but with some tweaking perfectly capable of running Crysis / Bioshock etc of good settings.

6 Months after I first got it, on a whim, I installed Coretemp and found it reading a whopping 90 degrees at idle! I thought surely this was a sensor malfunction (I had had it for 6 months on no errors right?), so set it aside and thought nothing of it.

Fast forward 3 years later and for some reason I decide to dl coretemp again.... and I get the same reading. THIS time, I also checked the BIOS AND real temp (why I didn't do this before, I will never know)... and all reads the same.

So clearly, the guy that set this comp up stuffed up the HS/Fan seating...

My question is... WTF do I do?

It's been 3.5 years of this CPU running at this temp and not a raised BIOS alert, no temp monitor alarms... nothing. Computer runs perfectly fine (I just had a 4 hour Bioshock session... no problem).I have even run Prime 95 with this thing for 4 hours testing GFX OC settings with no issues...

Is this even possible? Surely the CPU should have cracked ages ago? I am scared that if I mess with the thing it will come apart completely... could the BIOS Core Temp and Real Temp all be wrong? I mean, its OC'd as well... surely that would have pushed it past breaking point if the numbers are right?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Try underclocking it back to normal and see if it continues to idle at 90C.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    An overclock would definitely produce higher temperatures.

90C is really high though. I think the absolute max temperature before that chip is dead is 111C, but anything past 80 is danger zone in terms of shortening the life of it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Who OC'd it? You or the guy you bought it from?

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Check the voltage settings within the BIOS, including speed stepping. Reenable speedstepping if it's disabled.

If your BIOS allows it, save your current voltage and clock settings to a profile, then reset to factory defaults. If this doesn't help then your heatsink/fan are probably fucked somehow.

If you can achieve reasonable idle temps by resetting your system to factory defaults, then you should just work out a stable OC on your own. Shouldn't be too hard since at that point it would mean that it's just overvolted too much.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Ok I have reset clock to normal speeds... temp is pretty much exactly the same... this would make sense if;

1. Sensor is broke; OR
    2. HSF not seated correctly/at all.

So... I don't know. Maybe its worth just leaving it... worked fine so far.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Are all the different temperature programs you've tried referencing the same temp sensor? If so, that's your culprit. If not, then it's probably the heatsink. The solution to the first is easy, ignore it. The second is also easy, remove, clean, and reseat the heatsink and recheck temps.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    After having it for three and a half years, reapplying thermal paste might be a pretty good idea anyway.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    Put your hand on the CPU heatsink. If it's scorching hot...the reading is correct. To me it sounds like a faulty sensor, after 3 years it shouldnt be reading the exact same temperature of 99C.

WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Turn off the computer, leave idle for a couple of hours and then boot it, fire up the temp monitor right away and see if its reading anything less than 99c.

I would expect the temp to fluctuate if the sensor is working correctly based on CPU load.