Options

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    I had an idea for a costume. Miskatonic University Cheerleader. Told one of my friends about it and she loved it, heh, but not sure how to best do it. I'd think a subtle way would be best, no tentacles or anything.

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    apocalypticashapocalypticash Seattle-ishRegistered User regular
    I've got a few costumes I can wear if my 'in process' ones don't work out for some reason - let's hope they do.

I was Kasumi Goto from ME2/3 last year, and I'm currently working on FemShep armor with worbla and thin craft foam. (Starting super early, yay!)
    I also am planning on making Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) really soon, I'm just waiting on the fabric to show up on my doorstep. If I have time, I'm also going to do the Kid from Bastion. I love the game, and have been wanting to do it for a while. OH! And if I can find things (probably won't be difficult...), I'm going to do Oregon Trail with some a friend who posted earlier about it.

Yay! Crafting! *head explodes*

• Options
    SpasticalSyndromeSpasticalSyndrome Registered User new member
    edited April 2013
    My friend and I are planning to dress up as a Rappy (Not sure if hes gonna be a Rag Rappy or a PSO2 styled Rappy) and Eleanor Camuel from Phantasy Star Online!

I may also try my hand at something from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles if I still feel like it by then.

I've been playing a lot of gamecube lately. Haha. :3

SpasticalSyndrome on
  • Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I've got a few costumes I can wear if my 'in process' ones don't work out for some reason - let's hope they do.

I was Kasumi Goto from ME2/3 last year, and I'm currently working on FemShep armor with worbla and thin craft foam. (Starting super early, yay!)
    Yay! Mass Effect cosplayer! Are you part of the Pax Facebook group?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    ug, i hate waiting for tickets. i'm afraid to do any more work on either of my costumes until i know i have tickets... otherwise i'll at least have a Halloween costume this year. At the same time i wanna get time consuming/messy things done first

• Options
    jev117jev117 Registered User regular
    My brother, my friend and I went as vault dwellers last year. Let us now if any of you are still doing Fallout cosplay!

• Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited April 2013

Hehe indeed she is part of our group ;) She is also known as Batgirl, and to others she is a cuddler of Garrus plushies.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options

Hehe indeed she is part of our group ;) She is also known as Batgirl, and to others she is a cuddler of Garrus plushies.

LOL! I am all of those things! In relevant progress news - I got some bracers made a couple nights ago. Wooo!

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    *face palm* I have my moments. Lols, excitement ran away with me. :p

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I'm hoping to cosplay in several different costumes for this year's event. I'm still planning out who all I want to be, but so far I'm positive I'll be Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite. Specifically her 1st outfit in the game, due to my hair being her exact color (and it'd be a shame to buy a wig when my normal hair is fine for her), and yet I just grew it out so I don't want to cut it.

I also would love to cosplay one of the upcoming Dragon Age 3 characters...although first they'll need to be announced. ;) I'm hoping, when they do, I'll still have time to make a costume, or that I have one I could even pull off.

I'm still uncertain for other characters -- I want to cosplay as an asari from Mass Effect, but those are both hard to make and expensive. I've been told I should cosplay as Fiora from League of Legends, but.... I haven't had time to pick up that game yet, and I'd only consider it if I get to play it. :)

embraceternity on
  • Options
    ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    My Zaeed may be back on, as I have recently found both time and money, and an apocalypticash to help me learn worbla ;)

pax primer @ <3
  • Options
    ohkatey wrote: »
    My Zaeed may be back on, as I have recently found both time and money, and an apocalypticash to help me learn worbla ;)

<3 yessssss

• Options
    ElleonElleon Registered User regular
    Registration done (thanks to buddies) and cosplay for Metal Gear Solid is on. Maybe DMC4 if there is time/funds to allocate to it.

• Options
    Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    Elleon wrote: »
    Registration done (thanks to buddies) and cosplay for Metal Gear Solid is on. Maybe DMC4 if there is time/funds to allocate to it.

So looking forward to your group cosplay, MGS is my absolute favorite! ^_^

• Options
    SpasticalSyndromeSpasticalSyndrome Registered User new member
    edited April 2013
    Well I had the chance to buy literally the last Saturday tickets but I only had money for me and didn't wanna go alone. So there's always next year I guess. Gives me more time to improve my propmaking.

SpasticalSyndrome on
  • Options
    SupervillianSupervillian Registered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in starting a RWBY (from RoosterTeeth) group with me?

So far, we know 3/4 designs (but I bet Yellow trailer comes this month or next), and the series itself should premiere at RTX (in early July), so that would give us 2-4 months to work on the costumes.

Other than that, I'd love to join anyone's Dota2 or League group. o:

• Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in starting a RWBY (from RoosterTeeth) group with me?

So far, we know 3/4 designs (but I bet Yellow trailer comes this month or next), and the series itself should premiere at RTX (in early July), so that would give us 2-4 months to work on the costumes.

Coincidentally, I'm working on costumes for Lyralei Windrunner and Blake Belladonna. :)

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    DeimirDeimir Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    kemikal wrote: »

Coincidentally, I'm working on costumes for Lyralei Windrunner and Blake Belladonna. :)

I could easily get myself set up with a costume for Blake's companion. I've got a sword sheath that would work perfectly, just need to rig up the trigger assembly (to comply with weapons standards, this would just be a plug or otherwise affixed to the sheath, without any actual blade inside). If anyone is willing to offer guidance on how to make that mask, I think that's the only part I'll have trouble with on my own.

For my solo costume this year, I'm currently working on Connor's Assassin outfit from AC3, and also my group from Spokane is going as the crew of Serenity from Firefly...but crossdressed. We did this a couple years ago for various incarnations of The Doctor and his companions, and I was Donna Noble. This year I get to be River.

Deimir on
    Time off: done. Hotel: ??? Travel: ??? Badges: ???
    PAX Prime attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    KobeiKobei SeattleRegistered User regular
    I am going to be cosplaying as Secret Agent Miss Fortune.

You only live once. Why not give it your all? ;-)
  • Options
    kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    That reminds me. I haven't gotten around to even thinking about Blake's weapon (let alone consider to what detail I wanted to try replicating it). I know there are very specific guidelines for weapon props. Hers is essentially a pistol that doubles as the hilt of a sword. What sort of precautions should I take in designing to prop to ensure that I don't get kicked out? Do I still need to be worried if I am planning on constructing the gun part from scratch, and it doesn't look like any current real-world firearms?

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • Options
    VangardeVangarde SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm working on a third Assassins Creed modern hoodie for PAX. But the one in my profile pic is my original and I will definitely be wearing it on one of the days. My hope is to have a different Assassins Creed hoodie for each day.

• Options
    Alright got my tickets, Steampunk costume is on. Guess that means I gotta figure out how to MAKE it now.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    roxyoursocksroxyoursocks Registered User regular
    So stoked for my first PAX! My partner and I are going Friday and Saturday and cosplaying both days - we're going as Captain America (1940s version) and Black Widow one day, and the Dovahkiin and Aela the Huntress the next. We're in the process of making our Skyrim costumes right now, and are trying to make them as legit as possible out of leather, fur and steel, so it's pretty ambitious for a couple of cosplay noobs like us. They probably won't be the most comfortable costumes ever, but if we pull it off it'll be totally worth it :)

I do have one question though - I have airsoft guns for my Black Widow costume, which is obviously against the rules, but I'm not sure what to use instead. Since the rules say you can't have anything that looks like a real weapon from a distance, I can't imagine what kind of thing would work. What have other people done? Should I just go with empty holsters?

• Options
    emrobinsemrobins Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So I'm going to be making my first cosplay and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing Chandra the Firebrand (Magic the Gathering). I picked up some Worbla and not sure where to start. Any advice?

emrobins on
  • Options
    StingrayXStingrayX Redding, CARegistered User regular
    I have some awesome ideas in mind.

StingrayX.png
  • Options
    MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    yay got tickets. back to work on production!

• Options
    AtronachAtronach SeattleRegistered User regular
    So stoked for my first PAX! My partner and I are going Friday and Saturday and cosplaying both days - we're going as Captain America (1940s version) and Black Widow one day, and the Dovahkiin and Aela the Huntress the next. We're in the process of making our Skyrim costumes right now, and are trying to make them as legit as possible out of leather, fur and steel, so it's pretty ambitious for a couple of cosplay noobs like us. They probably won't be the most comfortable costumes ever, but if we pull it off it'll be totally worth it :)

I do have one question though - I have airsoft guns for my Black Widow costume, which is obviously against the rules, but I'm not sure what to use instead. Since the rules say you can't have anything that looks like a real weapon from a distance, I can't imagine what kind of thing would work. What have other people done? Should I just go with empty holsters?

Skyrim!! Ahhh this makes me so happy! I really hope I run into you guys! I'm going to be doing female Daedric armor and (assuming I don't die) Flame Atronach. My friend is going to be a guard lol

as for the gun could you post a reference picture as to what you'd like it to look like so we have an idea? There are a lot of different mediums you could use but have you heard of Pepakura before? It's my preference.

PAX 2013 Cosplay:
    Skyrim - Flame Atronach & Female Daedric
    Mass Effect 3 - Jack
  • Options
    AtronachAtronach SeattleRegistered User regular
    emrobins wrote: »
    So I'm going to be making my first cosplay and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be doing Chandra the Firebrand (Magic the Gathering). I picked up some Worbla and not sure where to start. Any advice?

I've never used worbla before but Kamui Cosplay is a great person to look up. She works for WOW and makes all her armor out of Worbla. She has tutorials (in German w/Eng. subs) for using it.

PAX 2013 Cosplay:
    Skyrim - Flame Atronach & Female Daedric
    Mass Effect 3 - Jack
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    Guys, I'm thinking of adding Marceline to my cosplays for the weekend. Should I do two cosplays?! I'm from out of state, so it's the taveling/packing that makes it difficult as I don't want to carry on too much.

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    What may work for the guns is the "back half" of one, like, made from wood or something. Something that you can't pull out, and even if you did, it's just half a piece. Also, full on Leather, steel and fur for the Skyrim costume? Bold! Be wary, that crap can be heavy and hot! Can't wait to see some in progress pics. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some cardboard prototypes of the mechanism for my giant robo-steampunk arm/hand, I'll post em if I get anything functional.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Has there been a day established for a Mass Effect meet up? I'm thinking of doing a Diana Allers since I just found the perfect pattern for it and would love to meet up for some pics!

Perestroika on
    It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url
  • Options
    SupervillianSupervillian Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »

Haha, great minds think alike? :D

I'm currently trying to decide which costumes are most feasible to bring on a plane, but I've been thinking of Templar Assassin and Weiss.

• Options
    Atronach wrote: »

Skyrim!! Ahhh this makes me so happy! I really hope I run into you guys! I'm going to be doing female Daedric armor and (assuming I don't die) Flame Atronach. My friend is going to be a guard lol

as for the gun could you post a reference picture as to what you'd like it to look like so we have an idea? There are a lot of different mediums you could use but have you heard of Pepakura before? It's my preference.

Your cosplay ideas sound awesome!! I bet we'll run into each other there, sounds like you'll stand out :)

Here's a reference photo of Black Widow...I don't know how I could make it work without making them look like real guns?

634px-Avengers_Black_Widow.jpeg

• Options
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    What may work for the guns is the "back half" of one, like, made from wood or something. Something that you can't pull out, and even if you did, it's just half a piece. Also, full on Leather, steel and fur for the Skyrim costume? Bold! Be wary, that crap can be heavy and hot! Can't wait to see some in progress pics. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have some cardboard prototypes of the mechanism for my giant robo-steampunk arm/hand, I'll post em if I get anything functional.

Thanks! You think that'd be ok? I'm not sure how strict the rules are about the "can't look like a real weapon from a distance" thing.

And yeah, we're hoping that the heat/weight won't be too bad, since my costume is pretty short and backless, and he'll just be wearing a harness over his chest, no shirt. It'll probably still not be the most comfortable, but honestly I think our Avengers costumes are going to be hotter - mine involves a full-body catsuit that traps heat like nobody's business, and he'll be wearing a leather jacket. If we're totally miserable though, at least we'll have learned our lesson for next year!

I can't wait to see your pics, your steampunk arm sounds really cool :)

• Options
    I would just message AaronC any questions you had with weapon props to make sure if it'd be ok or not, super helpful guy.

• Options
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Thanks! You think that'd be ok? I'm not sure how strict the rules are about the "can't look like a real weapon from a distance" thing.

And yeah, we're hoping that the heat/weight won't be too bad, since my costume is pretty short and backless, and he'll just be wearing a harness over his chest, no shirt. It'll probably still not be the most comfortable, but honestly I think our Avengers costumes are going to be hotter - mine involves a full-body catsuit that traps heat like nobody's business, and he'll be wearing a leather jacket. If we're totally miserable though, at least we'll have learned our lesson for next year!

I can't wait to see your pics, your steampunk arm sounds really cool :)

Thanks! And I'm not sure, but as always, if you ask the guys in charge, they'll give you some tips. Always better to err on the side of caution though. That kinda thing is always tricky. Hmm...Maybe you could focus on her taser-gloves? I'll bet you could make some awesome looking ones with some EL wire.

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the question, I'm happy to provide guidance on this issue.

The gun rules are strict, that strictness is on purpose. Nothing that looks like a Glock (the gun in your reference photo) is going to be allowed, so even a half gun that can't come out of the holster still gives the impression of a real gun and thus is not allowed.

The criteria for real gun is based on people who know what real guns and space guns look like, so while a stormtroopers blaster looks "real" in its own context and is actually based on real guns, its OK. The same with a Gears of War ripper gun and things like that.

Guns that are clearly copies of real guns are not allowed.

In your specific case I would either go with something wood or something clearly a toy. Alternatively get a holster with a flap over it that covers the empty.

tl:dr Copy of a glock is out, space guns are ok.

AaronC on
  • Options
    @AaronC

Red rubber guns are still ok though, right?

• Options
    SwiftThiefLurraSwiftThiefLurra Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Just throwing it out there, but I plan on going as a female Booker DeWitt (even though I'd prefer to cosplay as a dude, I'm not a dude and couldn't pull it off).
    Got a few of the pieces I need ready, just gonna purchase the sky hook (hopefully it'll be acceptable) and a few more accessories. It would be neat to see an Elizabeth or more Bookers, that's for sure!
    Looking forward to everyone's cosplays regardless! c:

SwiftThiefLurra on
  • Options
    MissScarletTanagerMissScarletTanager Registered User regular
    I'm going to try for a female Recon Battleframe from Firefall, Fem!Shep from Mass Effect 3 (with LEDs and an LED/wired M8 Assault rifle, if I can afford it), and Blackthorn Morgana from League of Legends. Shep is the most important to get done, then Morgana, then the battleframe. Reall excited n.n