As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to checkout before PAX

Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
So me and a friend are heading into Seattle the Tuesday before pax to prep ourselves and to check out
Seattle. Both into everything that's at pax + comics movies etc so just wondering if you guys had
Any suggestions on some places that we could check out the days before pax

Oh my goodness
Oh my Dayum
Oh my goodness
They goin' Ham

• Options
    bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    There's a Magical Mystery bus tour before PAX, and beer tours and drinking tournaments and all kinds of things, I will be partaking in as many as I can.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    There's a Magical Mystery bus tour before PAX, and beer tours and drinking tournaments and all kinds of things, I will be partaking in as many as I can.

Small point of clarification: the MMT isn't a bus tour necessarily. It has been in the past, but the past few years have just used public transportation.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    kcrobinsonkcrobinson Registered User regular
    As a Seattle resident, I could suggest things to do, but they would mostly be your typical touristy things. The MMT will likely do almost everything I can think of. For other ideas, the sidebar of the Seattle subreddit has some suggestions.

Off the top of my head, some of my favorites are:

1) EMP/SFM (Experience Music Project/Science-Fiction Museum) - It's right next to the Space Needle and monorail stop. The science fiction museum is especially cool.

2) Take the ferry to Bainbridge or Bremerton. The ferries are an excellent way to spend time cheaply. A walk on passenger will cost $8 one way and is free coming back. It will take about one and a half hours to make the round trip and you get to see some amazing views of Seattle and the surrounding islands.

3) The Mariners are playing home games against the Texas Rangers on Tuesday and Wednesday before PAX. Safeco Field can be fun even if you don't like baseball.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The tour might do it, but don't you guys have a museum that's having an exhibit on like the art and history of video games at least for now?

If I'm not mistaken and the tour doesn't do it that would definitely be something to do. I've heard so many amazing things about this exhibit wherever it is

• Options
    sanovah wrote: »
    The tour might do it, but don't you guys have a museum that's having an exhibit on like the art and history of video games at least for now?

If I'm not mistaken and the tour doesn't do it that would definitely be something to do. I've heard so many amazing things about this exhibit wherever it is

Yeah, the Art of Video Games exhibit is at the EMP right now. I posted on the Seattle former thread to see if anyone was up for a group trip but there was zero interest. We're hoping to see it before it leaves for the next town.

• Options
    Does it leave before PAX?

• Options
    Does it leave before PAX?

Yeah, it closes on May 12. :cry:

• Options
    Boo. Hopefully it at least comes to my area then. I almost flew up there to see it.

Don't you guys have some cool tech museums anyway even without this?

• Options
  • Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The EMP has a new exhibit opening this month called Fantasy Worlds of Myth and Magic. The box office advises it should still be open during PAX.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    There's the Seattle Pinball Museum in the International District, they are open on Thursday 6pm to 9pm. And you can take a bus to Ballard for Card Kingdom, a HUGE tabletop gaming shop, along with a restaurant "Cafe Mox". If you want to see a movie but make it more of a PAX experience, ignore the downtown Seattle theaters and take the bus to Redmond for the Redmond Town Center outdoor mall - there's a luxury theater there (iPic) with reserved seating in leather recliners, and they'll deliver food and alcohol right to your seat (tickets cost $27 though, and be sure to reserve your seat before you go).

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    That EMP Fantasy exhibit will allow you to get a photo of yourself sitting on the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones!

http://www.empmuseum.org/at-the-museum/upcoming-exhibits/fantasy-worlds-of-myth-and-magic.aspx

• Options
    That EMP Fantasy exhibit will allow you to get a photo of yourself sitting on the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones!

http://www.empmuseum.org/at-the-museum/upcoming-exhibits/fantasy-worlds-of-myth-and-magic.aspx

• Options
    Kaoken00Kaoken00 TexasRegistered User regular
    kcrobinson wrote: »
    As a Seattle resident, I could suggest things to do, but they would mostly be your typical touristy things. The MMT will likely do almost everything I can think of. For other ideas, the sidebar of the Seattle subreddit has some suggestions.

Off the top of my head, some of my favorites are:

1) EMP/SFM (Experience Music Project/Science-Fiction Museum) - It's right next to the Space Needle and monorail stop. The science fiction museum is especially cool.

2) Take the ferry to Bainbridge or Bremerton. The ferries are an excellent way to spend time cheaply. A walk on passenger will cost $8 one way and is free coming back. It will take about one and a half hours to make the round trip and you get to see some amazing views of Seattle and the surrounding islands.

3) The Mariners are playing home games against the Texas Rangers on Tuesday and Wednesday before PAX. Safeco Field can be fun even if you don't like baseball.

That's awesome I'm a rangers fan I going to have to get tickets.

South 2016 Status: .[*] 3-Day Passes .[*] Hotel .[*] Waiting Patiently .

• Options
    skitch78skitch78 Registered User regular
    If you're looking for "game"-y type things to do, there's a set of Virtual World Battletech and Red Planet Pods up in Kirkland. Just google "The Airlock in Kirkland WA" and let them know you're coming in from out of town.

• Options
    ah okay cool thanks for all the suggestions so far - are there any big time collectable / comic stores to check out? definitely into that type of stuff and will most likely check out that big table top gaming / restaurant place

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    skitch78 wrote: »
    If you're looking for "game"-y type things to do, there's a set of Virtual World Battletech and Red Planet Pods up in Kirkland. Just google "The Airlock in Kirkland WA" and let them know you're coming in from out of town.

Dang this sounds amazing. Wonder how many people are in Seattle Wednesday night before PAX. Might have to try and get a group thing going up there Wednesday night

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    There's also a good chance the seahawks will play a pre-season game at some point that week. Last year they played the Raiders on Thursday night, and a seahawks game at centurylink is brilliant. It's preseason, but still good. I went to that game and the Mondeay Night Touchbackdown debacle a few weeks later. Partly despite, and partly because of, that unfortunate situation it was one of the most incredible sporting experiences I've ever been to. if they play on that thursday night again you can already count on me being in the stadium.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ah okay cool thanks for all the suggestions so far - are there any big time collectable / comic stores to check out? definitely into that type of stuff and will most likely check out that big table top gaming / restaurant place

There's a gajillion book and collectible places - something to suit every taste and desire. Last year Café Mox/Card Kingdom ran a shuttle to and from the store from PAX. I'd suggest following them on twitter/facebook to keep an eye out if they're going to do that again this year.

My personal fave collectible place is Archie McPhee. Not comics, but wacky toys and doohickeys. I <3 Archie's.

• Options
    MissFishMissFish Registered User regular
    The Art of Videogames wasn't the world's best exhibit, but the Sci Fi museum in the same building was pretty cool. Don't be upset about missing that one.

If you're looking for a tour of Seattle, I'd take a look at the Ride the Ducks tour that starts down by the Space Needle. They do a pretty good job at showing you the weirder side of the city, and as a bonus you start and end pretty much at the Sci Fi museum/EMP

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Edit:

There is an underground tour of Seattle Bill Spiedel's underground tour to be specific. I heard it was fun and the MMT has done it in the past so it has to be good. So if they don't again this year it's probably something to at least see by yourself

sanovah on
  • Options
    ShmelioShmelio Registered User regular
    kcrobinson wrote: »

@kcrobinson, I went there before new years when I had dinner at the space needle. It really was awesome.

• Options
    blaylockeblaylocke Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    There's also a good chance the seahawks will play a pre-season game at some point that week. Last year they played the Raiders on Thursday night, and a seahawks game at centurylink is brilliant. It's preseason, but still good. I went to that game and the Mondeay Night Touchbackdown debacle a few weeks later. Partly despite, and partly because of, that unfortunate situation it was one of the most incredible sporting experiences I've ever been to. if they play on that thursday night again you can already count on me being in the stadium.

I watched a preseason game of theirs. It's still darn loud and a whole lot of fun. Worth going to it (although it can get a bit spendy, so as with all things, bring money)

• Options
    We would maybe go to a mariners game but to be honest were more like the big bang theory guys when it comes to football. lol we are more into NHL which isn't in Seattle...... yet!

The Kirkland thing sounds interesting as do some of the meet ups although neither of us are drinkers

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options

Dang this sounds amazing. Wonder how many people are in Seattle Wednesday night before PAX. Might have to try and get a group thing going up there Wednesday night

I know the owners, I'm sure they'll have some PAX specials running that week/weekend. Let me know if you do go Wednesday and I'll try to be there... I'm the official boot-camp sergeant and will teach you how to use the 50+ buttons in the pod to maximize your experience. :)

• Options

The Seahawks schedule is published, and yes, they are playing the Raiders again on Thurs (Aug 29th) this year as well.

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    MissFish wrote: »
    If you're looking for a tour of Seattle, I'd take a look at the Ride the Ducks tour that starts down by the Space Needle. They do a pretty good job at showing you the weirder side of the city, and as a bonus you start and end pretty much at the Sci Fi museum/EMP

And this is even Penny Arcade-related now, as one of the things they did on the Strip Search PATV reality game show was Ride the Ducks.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

The Seahawks schedule is published, and yes, they are playing the Raiders again on Thurs (Aug 29th) this year as well.

Win. When the schedule was posted the pre-season games hadn't been posted yet. I'll more than likely be going to that with the guy I go to PAX with.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

Win. When the schedule was posted the pre-season games hadn't been posted yet. I'll more than likely be going to that with the guy I go to PAX with.

Where's the season posted and how much are Seahawks games? Can't find anything on their site

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    So me and a friend are heading into Seattle the Tuesday before pax to prep ourselves and to check out
    Seattle. Both into everything that's at pax + comics movies etc so just wondering if you guys had
    Any suggestions on some places that we could check out the days before pax

Call ahead and schedule a tour of Valve.

If I remember correctly, they do them every Tuesday and Thursday.

@sanovah: http://www.seahawks.com/schedule/season-schedule.html There you go! BEAST MODE!

Also there's a whole mess of wineries and breweries in and around Seattle. If you're really looking to get out and haven't really explored the area come on up to the San Juan Islands. Around that time of year it is on the whole beautiful and could be a nice place to stop for a day. If you do, swing by the Cafe Adrift in Anacortes and you might just have me make you some food!

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular

I was at last year's pre-season game between the two. Had a lot of fun and even got to see the scab refs in action. However it did get dull near the end due to Seattle clearly having the game won early and a lot of the crowd leaving to beat (and create) traffic. Cool to see the Raider Nation up close and in person though.

I'm slightly gutted the Mariners don't have a home game scheduled while I am in Seattle. That was the perfect PAX Hangover cure.

• Options
    ShmelioShmelio Registered User regular
    I would totally be down for a preseason game and even bigger on the Valve Tour

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Touring Valve would be awesome. I would love to do that.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    Holy crap touring Valve yes!

• Options
    RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Market Ghost Tour? We have gone on a few in different cities and some are pretty fun while others have been complete wastes of time. It's fun if they talk about history and unexplained murders or disasters and such but less fun if they are trying to say "oooohhh there are ghosts everywhere!"

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • Options
    ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    A Valve tour would be quite epic!

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
  • Options
    Rhiley wrote: »
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Market Ghost Tour? We have gone on a few in different cities and some are pretty fun while others have been complete wastes of time. It's fun if they talk about history and unexplained murders or disasters and such but less fun if they are trying to say "oooohhh there are ghosts everywhere!"

I think it's the latter. They tour supposedly haunted locations.

There's some awesome history tours in town though - I know the MMT has done the Underground Tour in the past.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    ramen215 wrote: »

Yeah, just call them up and schedule it. I'd recommend calling about a month to two weeks in advance, as they usually book up fast (they try to run one tour on each day, as they have employees lead you through). It's pretty fun, you get the see everything they do, and at the end they toss you some swag.

As for the Seattle Underground, I highly recommend it. I haven't gone on the tour since I was pretty young so I don't know if there are multiple companies running tours or what else but if you're a history buff or just like to see cool stuff it really is pretty awesome.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ramen215ramen215 Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »

Yeah, just call them up and schedule it. I'd recommend calling about a month to two weeks in advance, as they usually book up fast (they try to run one tour on each day, as they have employees lead you through). It's pretty fun, you get the see everything they do, and at the end they toss you some swag.

Do you have any idea of the price range? Also the time of day they usually run the tours?

Track Record: ~Prime '12 Prime '13
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »

As for the Seattle Underground, I highly recommend it. I haven't gone on the tour since I was pretty young so I don't know if there are multiple companies running tours or what else but if you're a history buff or just like to see cool stuff it really is pretty awesome.

About how long is the underground tour?

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12