Options

THQ is dead! Vigil layoffs!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    That's kind of misleading.

It's not like the whole Relic team that worked on homeworld are over there now. IIRC it's 3 or 4 of them, with the notables being the artists and such.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    But Darksiders is now owned by some bullshit company that will use the rights for cellphone games, is that how its turned out?

Cause if so, then damn.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    I don't think jowood is a mobile company; they're a kinda 'off' european RPG game publisher. Stuff like Gothic iirc.

If anything they'll just outsource it, and publish it. They're not going to do anything with it in-house.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Nordic Games published Torchlight and Alan Wake in the European Union, I don't know if that's a good, bad, or irrelevant sign, but they aren't completely unknown.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    The Gothic games have never been huge in NA. They might be trying to make the next Gothic a Darksiders game to get more eyes on it.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    At this point, the baseline outcome for Homefront seems like GBX might update and release HF1/HF2 to Steam then decide not to do anything else with the franchise, which is probably a better outcome than Homefront was facing yesterday.

Freudian slip?

It's funny because others have joked that Gearbox made the same mistake, and that's why they bought the IP :P

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    At this point, the baseline outcome for Homefront seems like GBX might update and release HF1/HF2 to Steam then decide not to do anything else with the franchise, which is probably a better outcome than Homefront was facing yesterday.

Freudian slip?

It's funny because others have joked that Gearbox made the same mistake, and that's why they bought the IP :P

Yeah, pretty much. :bz

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    God fuck son of a bitch holy fuck damnit.

Seriously... Gearbox? Fucking hell.

I'm sorry. I know the guys who made homeworld aren't at relic anymore. But at least they make RTS games. Hell, at least they make good games... Fucking hell, at least they FINISH games!

Seriously incensed. I'd have preferred it go to the Dan project over those liars. And yes, I know gearbox is full of hard working, passionate people. But... No!

... The series is truly dead. Again.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »

"Slitherine?" Really? Could they have picked a name that makes it harder to take them seriously as a 40K dev?

Besides Hufflepuff, I mean.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Aren't those the guys who helped with deadliest warrior?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Aren't those guys just doing a licensed turn based 40K game? I could have sworn I saw something somewhere that Relic is still going to work on the 40k stuff that they have been. Or was that just sunshine and rainbows?

Edit: and yeah, looking at their catalog makes me wonder just what the hell they are smoking over at Games Workshop.

Drake on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    God fuck son of a bitch holy fuck damnit.

Seriously... Gearbox? Fucking hell.

I'm sorry. I know the guys who made homeworld aren't at relic anymore. But at least they make RTS games. Hell, at least they make good games... Fucking hell, at least they FINISH games!

Seriously incensed. I'd have preferred it go to the Dan project over those liars. And yes, I know gearbox is full of hard working, passionate people. But... No!

... The series is truly dead. Again.

I know.. the rage it gets you... but

P52-2-incensed-a.jpg

I

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    This is a dark and terrible day. The Hyperspace Cores have once against been sundered and absconded by dark forces.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    over at gearbox they were asking about what people wanted. Someone possibly from management mentioned an FPS tie in. 30 or so veeery pissed of Higaarans who had registered that day dog-piled him... I would suggest a read. the rage was strong.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    where's this?

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I wasn't even going to joke about a first person shooter tie-in.

I mean, who'd even after the whole X-Com thing...

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    This is the gearbox forum dedicated too homeworld stuff at present Homeworld linky . I am truly concerned.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's nothing in the Homeworld universe that could possibly be used for a FPS.

Homeworld is all about the meta story, individual characters are pretty much entirely secondary (at best) to the galaxy spanning story that takes place. Individuals are more forces than they are personalities.

The idea of running down a corridor on a ship instead of taking in the vastness of a system while managing fleets is almost offensive.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I can only think of one remotely reasonable FPS tie-in for Homeworld, and that would be taking part in the boarding actions from HW2. Even then it's mostly co-op multiplayer along the lines of L4D and/or Alien Swarm. Which could very well be a neat experience, but it's still not exactly Homeworld.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    If there is a new Red Faction game that gets made it should be more like Guerilla imo, which I found very fun.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    The Gothic games have never been huge in NA. They might be trying to make the next Gothic a Darksiders game to get more eyes on it.

Its a damn shame too. Gothic I and Gothic II while having a steep initial difficulty curve, were two of the best RPGs I've ever played. Gothic III+ were awful, but I won't let those two shame its predecessors.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Go to HW forums.
    Time to take a big steamy poop right on Homeworlds face just like you did with Duke you **** sucking mother ******* **** raping dick twisting retard *****. You ruined Duke and now you're buying more IPs to **** in the ass and ruin while being lying, manipulative *****. **** smoking ******* **** heads. Go ahead, ruin Homeworld to you ******* wankfest **** nibblers. Another awesome IP raped in the face by Gearbox Shovelware you **** rapists. ******* **** **** **** **** **** ****.

Would read again.

Seriously though, if they just update HW/HW2 to run perfectly, the license is instantly a thousand times better off than it was, languishing, completely dead, in the basement somewhere.

• Options
    10/10 internet rant review

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Mmmm. That's good raeg.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Everyone's making fun of that person but really that post is super meta because all those stars are just supposed to represent space. Because Homeworld is a space game.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The HW universe might work for a space Sim. A fps? I hope he was joking.

Re: games workshop: We ARE talking about the company that gave Cyanide the blood bowl license after all.

• Options
    I don't want to believe that rant was real. No human actually communicates to another in that manner.

It's sad that I know better, though. D:

• Options
    edited April 2013
    The one thing going for Gearbox in all of this: They tend to treat their owned IP with more reverence than the projects they farm out. Duke Nukem notwithstanding because NO ONE could have salvaged that train wreck in a timely, economically feasible way. And they did have the foresight to (at least temporarily) shelve that awful looking Inglorious Bastards send-up masquerading as a Brother in Arms game.

Still doesn't explain why a company that makes shooters almost exclusively would pick up an RTS game that takes place entirely on the macro scale (in relative terms) in space.

And anyone know what's happening with Cataclysm? Is it still in Intellectual Property Hell or something? All of the tweets from GB so far have seemed very explicit about just HW1 and 2.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    There's nothing in the Homeworld universe that could possibly be used for a FPS.

Homeworld is all about the meta story, individual characters are pretty much entirely secondary (at best) to the galaxy spanning story that takes place. Individuals are more forces than they are personalities.

The idea of running down a corridor on a ship instead of taking in the vastness of a system while managing fleets is almost offensive.

In fact, one of the weakest parts of Homeworld 2 was taking Karen Sjet and bringing her to the fore. In the first game, she plugged in to the mothership to give you a sense of attachment to the ship. Losing her emotions, she became one of the two voices to carry you through the darkness.

I never really liked the messianic role she played in 2, especially coming off of Barking Dog's Cataclysm, where you play the "average joe" miner who has to save the world from a threat no one believes exists, and get.. well.. a place in society as a result. (I loved that it was based off of one of the minor landless clans from the original manual)

But yeah... While I once wrote a fanfic about a spectre pilot from the first game, there's no way Homeworld can be made into an FPS. In fact, about the only thing I'd be happy with outside of an RTS is an X-wing style space sim, or something along the lines of Allegiance where you are darting between the battlecruisers and the ion cannon frigates and shooting down missiles en route to the shipyards. Even better if RTS could be combined into that. But the Homeworld universe is not the place for an individual. It's the story of tribes and civilizations finding their roots.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular

In fact, one of the weakest parts of Homeworld 2 was taking Karen Sjet and bringing her to the fore. In the first game, she plugged in to the mothership to give you a sense of attachment to the ship. Losing her emotions, she became one of the two voices to carry you through the darkness.

I never really liked the messianic role she played in 2, especially coming off of Barking Dog's Cataclysm, where you play the "average joe" miner who has to save the world from a threat no one believes exists, and get.. well.. a place in society as a result. (I loved that it was based off of one of the minor landless clans from the original manual)

But yeah... While I once wrote a fanfic about a spectre pilot from the first game, there's no way Homeworld can be made into an FPS. In fact, about the only thing I'd be happy with outside of an RTS is an X-wing style space sim, or something along the lines of Allegiance where you are darting between the battlecruisers and the ion cannon frigates and shooting down missiles en route to the shipyards. Even better if RTS could be combined into that. But the Homeworld universe is not the place for an individual. It's the story of tribes and civilizations finding their roots.

If we're going to throw beloved space sims names around as parallels, I think if they modeled a space sim after Freespace, that could work. Plenty of epically large ships to fight around.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    In fact, about the only thing I'd be happy with outside of an RTS is an X-wing style space sim

We're already getting a game like that, Gearbox doesn't need to make it.

Just like X-COM was about save the earth from aliens via squad action and cannon fodder redshirts, Homeworld to me is about fighting for the survival of the clan/tribe via large scale ship action. If the next Homeworld went down the hyperspace core storyline, or looked at a new tribe, or did something to the Hiigarans that calls for large scale fleet battles, then I'll be happy enough.

Well, that and Adagio for Strings, Middle-Eastern vibe background music, heavily filtered radio traffic, and Karen Sjet's voiceover. "Fleet command online."

Strangely enough, I can almost see Gearbox pulling off the art style. Some of the guns and color combinations in Borderlands almost look like they could be vaguely Hiigaran/Taiidan.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Never forget that the cel shaded look of Borderlands was a relatively late change to the game. Before that it was going to be fairly bland.

And I apologize, I meant to throw a Freespace in there - obviously Star Wars doesn't have lancing lasers like Freespace and Homeworld do. :)@Akilae is absolutely right on the mood, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2AhjhYWDUM

Hell, they even put the logos of the major clans on the jewel case of "The Ladder" with absolutely no explanation where they came from, except for the demo of the game on the CD.

Athenor on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They don't even have to make it in-house if they don't want to. License it to someone else if they're so inclined. Get the Sins of the Solar empire guys to take a crack at it, I dunno, fuck. Just because they're the IP owner doesn't mean all you're going to get is a cell-shaded Homeworld FPS.

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    They don't even have to make it in-house if they don't want to. License it to someone else if they're so inclined. Get the Sins of the Solar empire guys to take a crack at it, I dunno, fuck. Just because they're the IP owner doesn't mean all you're going to get is a cell-shaded Homeworld FPS.

NO! Oh good Gods no, do NOT let Gearbox farm out another game to another studio. Jeezus, why would you wish that on the franchise?

(Plus Stardock was beaten out by Gearbox, there's no way they'd farm it out to someone who they beat out the bid for, unless the contract fucked over Stardock.)

• Options
    An X-Wing / Freespace game set in the Homeworld universe would be more welcome than trying to shoehorn a shooter in there. That said, an RTS would still be vastly more desirable. And while I normally prefer space combat simulators to RTS games (seriously, I usually hate RTS games), Homeworld holds an immensely special place in my heart. Even 14 years later, HW1 is still easily one of my top 10 favorite games.

In a perfect world, we'd get both. Sadly, this world ain't.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Well, if they farmed it out to Blackbird Interactive, maybe that could work... but yeah, I don't think any publisher in their right mind would ever allow Gearbox to farm out another game.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    An X-Wing / Freespace game set in the Homeworld universe would be more welcome than trying to shoehorn a shooter in there. That said, an RTS would still be vastly more desirable. And while I normally prefer space combat simulators to RTS games (seriously, I usually hate RTS games), Homeworld holds an immensely special place in my heart. Even 14 years later, HW1 is still easily one of my top 10 favorite games.

In a perfect world, we'd get both. Sadly, this world ain't.
    Well we're basically getting the space sim so yeah.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Borderlands (1), and still do, and got BL2 on that basis... and I like some of that game too... but the more I look at it, the more I wonder if the original was just one of those lucky accidents - a fluke, an exception, not actually representative of the studio. (Consider what the original tone and art direction for BL1 were going to be.)

• Options
    I enjoyed Borderlands (1), and still do, and got BL2 on that basis... and I like some of that game too... but the more I look at it, the more I wonder if the original was just one of those lucky accidents - a fluke, an exception, not actually representative of the studio. (Consider what the original tone and art direction for BL1 were going to be.)

I greatly enjoyed BL2, until.. well.. I don't know, things started seeping in. I didn't have as much fun with Salvador as I did with Mordecai. And I thought some of the "gut punch" moments were just downright mean spirited to fans of the series. and I REALLY disliked how BL2 ripped the agency and baddassitude away from BL1's characters.

Actually thinking back on it, considering I played it single player.. what did I enjoy about it? *ahem* Er.. anyways.

I hope Darksiders finds a good home. It makes a great B-level (or even single-A) Zelda clone with a decent fighting system, and I want to see more from that world as a whole. But I love things that play on religious tropes, so...

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Zxerol wrote: »

NO! Oh good Gods no, do NOT let Gearbox farm out another game to another studio. Jeezus, why would you wish that on the franchise?

In hoping that they learned their lesson with Aliens:CM. It's also (imo) the only way we're gonna get a good Homeworld game.

Of course, if it ends up great, they may as well take over before the end of the development and take full credit for it.

Yeah, it's actually more like "Why would you wish that on a studio?"

C2B on