American health care vs the world!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Dis' wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    A
    Quid wrote: »
    If you told me that I could put in a lot of work and spend a lot of money for a shot at developing something, and if it works out, the largest countries in the world are going to just take my work without compensation, that would be pretty demoralizing to me, even if I knew I was also likely to make a fortune in America.
    See, if I we're to become super rich off selling a drug in America I wouldn't really give two shits that it was also saving lives in other countries that couldn't have afforded to buy it anyway.

Scenario 1: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries don't make generic versions of it and millions of people suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Scenario 2: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries do make a Generic version and millions of people don't suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Neither scenario gets me anything extra. One of them reduces suffering in the world.

Right. And as I said above, there's a third option.

Scenario 3: They strike a licensing deal with Indian generics manufacturers to collect a small license fee for each HIV drug produced. They make jillions on the first world market plus a billion or two on the Indian market.

Why would someone pay for what they can get for free?

Well there is costs and plant involved in producing the generic. The pharma company could conceivably sell their drug at a price point that's the same as the generic and get the market that way. It's just that said price point will be very low and the companies don't like that because its really hard to get huge profits that way.

If you have your own plants you aren't dependant on the good will of the US government/US corps, to provide you with access to a drug you need.

You also don't have to worry that the price will go steadily up once they have you hooked because they know they have you by the short and curleys.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Most of the time, for most drugs, conditions, and patients, this literally does not matter. A generic will do just as well for you as the name brand will, for a fraction of the price.

Sometimes, though, the difference can be dramatic.

Well, now I'm good and terrified.

If I remember that article correctly, it was as much about not researching the effects of different dosages as it was about how the FDA handled it. In which case, it's not necessarily a problem that is inherent only to generic drugs.

A brand-name drug can only come to market after the manufacturer submits clinical trials on its safety and efficacy. Safety and efficacy tests must be done on all formulations and doses of the drug that they wish to bring to market. If the drug is intended to be used across multiple populations, they have to use broad samples.

In other words, they have to show that it works, and that it works in the populations they intend it to work, in all the forms they intend it to work.

Although they cheat like fuck to try and get through this stage. The amount of hidden trial data is staggering.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    You are likely to have better quality control from the actual manufacturer, not to mention the benefit of their continued study of the drug's effect on people. Also, there is merit in not being a thief every time you have the opportunity to be one, no?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    There is no merit in not being a thief, no.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    You are likely to have better quality control from the actual manufacturer, not to mention the benefit of their continued study of the drug's effect on people. Also, there is merit in not being a thief every time you have the opportunity to be one, no?

I wouldn't place the value of not being a thief above my own life or those of others, no.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I wouldn't place the value of not being a thief above my own life or those of others, no.

That wasn't the question though. The question was "why would anyone in a poor country pay a discounted price for drugs when they can get the pirated generic for free." That is pretty different, no? I don't think anyone but Kant would suggest that someone ought to die before they would steal.

• Options

That wasn't the question though. The question was "why would anyone in a poor country pay a discounted price for drugs when they can get the pirated generic for free." That is pretty different, no? I don't think anyone but Kant would suggest that someone ought to die before they would steal.
    A
    If you told me that I could put in a lot of work and spend a lot of money for a shot at developing something, and if it works out, the largest countries in the world are going to just take my work without compensation, that would be pretty demoralizing to me, even if I knew I was also likely to make a fortune in America.
    See, if I we're to become super rich off selling a drug in America I wouldn't really give two shits that it was also saving lives in other countries that couldn't have afforded to buy it anyway.

Scenario 1: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries don't make generic versions of it and millions of people suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Scenario 2: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries do make a Generic version and millions of people don't suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Neither scenario gets me anything extra. One of them reduces suffering in the world.

Scenario 3: They strike a licensing deal with Indian generics manufacturers to collect a small license fee for each HIV drug produced. They make jillions on the first world market plus a billion or two on the Indian market.

Well there is costs and plant involved in producing the generic. The pharma company could conceivably sell their drug at a price point that's the same as the generic and get the market that way. It's just that said price point will be very low and the companies don't like that because its really hard to get huge profits that way.

If you have your own plants you aren't dependant on the good will of the US government/US corps, to provide you with access to a drug you need.

You also don't have to worry that the price will go steadily up once they have you hooked because they know they have you by the short and curleys.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Short answer: international treaties.

India has agreed to uphold international IP law. In the long run, this benefits India. If they're perceived as a rogue nation with regards to IP, then other richer countries are less likely to do business with them.

And we're not talking about somebody making knock-offs in a garage somewhere. We're talking about a national, legitimate pharmaceutical industry. It's in India's best interest to keep that industry on the right side of the law.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Most of the time, for most drugs, conditions, and patients, this literally does not matter. A generic will do just as well for you as the name brand will, for a fraction of the price.

Sometimes, though, the difference can be dramatic.

Well, now I'm good and terrified.

If I remember that article correctly, it was as much about not researching the effects of different dosages as it was about how the FDA handled it. In which case, it's not necessarily a problem that is inherent only to generic drugs.

A brand-name drug can only come to market after the manufacturer submits clinical trials on its safety and efficacy. Safety and efficacy tests must be done on all formulations and doses of the drug that they wish to bring to market. If the drug is intended to be used across multiple populations, they have to use broad samples.

In other words, they have to show that it works, and that it works in the populations they intend it to work, in all the forms they intend it to work.

Although they cheat like fuck to try and get through this stage. The amount of hidden trial data is staggering.

Yeah, they do. :/

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    A

Well, developing a drug and getting it approved by FDA (or EU or Japan) is very expensive. The company who bears that responsibility should get some profit out of it, or else there's no incentive to develop new drugs. That's why the pharma patent system exists in the first place.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Before the inevitable objection to the above comes out, I'd be interested in seeing a cite for the "marketing costs >>> R&D costs" stat. Because the R&D costs are quite quite large.

• Options
    From 2008, using data from 2004: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080105140107.htm
    The researchers’ estimate is based on the systematic collection of data directly from the industry and doctors during 2004, which shows the U.S. pharmaceutical industry spent 24.4% of the sales dollar on promotion, versus 13.4% for research and development, as a percentage of US domestic sales of US$235.4 billion.

From 2009, with nice graph: http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2009/07/08/how_much_does_the_drug_industry_spend_on_marketing.php

(SG&A = sales, general, & administrative. COGS = cost of goods sold.)

Same authors as the 2008 paper, but back at it again in 2012. sadly, paywalled unless you have access to BMJ: http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e4348

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Blogpost graph, so possibly wrong, but claims to look at Marketing and Administration vs R&D in the major companies tax forms for 2010:

rd.png?w=500

Annoyingly it doesn't separate it further into specific marketing costs. In nearly every company however the M/A/A spends more than double that of the R&D, and all but two have profit margins also in excess of their R&D spending.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    At which point I think we can pretty easily consign to landfill these "a bloo bloo hoo those horrible greedy africans living on $1200 a year are driving us into the poorhouse by not paying US prices" claims from the pharma industry.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Drug companies already have discount programs in the US, especially for drugs that they can get people to take for their lifetime. Seems like they should be able to do something similar and at least capture some revenue in poorer countries.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that "marketing costs" include literally the company's entire sales department, not just television ads.

So the middle-class pharma rep making 40-60k a year is included in that 30-odd percent.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that "marketing costs" include literally the company's entire sales department, not just television ads.

So the middle-class pharma rep making 40-60k a year is included in that 30-odd percent.

any idea how much the average lab tech in the R&D department would be making for comparison?

• Options

Yes marketing costs include paying for marketing people's salaries. But the point is that in a scenario where the company negotiates with UHC wholesalers, a lot of those jobs marketing directly to consumers and doctors don't have to exist, and the savings can be passed onto the reduced costs for the product the UHC organisation demands.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

It is also worth noting that "marketing costs" are for every drug they sell, including the ones they got approved 5 years ago, where as R&D are just for the ones they are researching now.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It's also worth pointing out that the R&D is very dependent on public universities and frankly I'd be perfectly fine with scrapping pharma as a private enterprise entirely for life saving medicine since their focus is on long term symptom treatment and not curing things

edit: this isn't one of those conspiracy theory posts, if they accidentally find a cure for autism you can bet your ass they'd sell it just because they'd want to be first to market with it, however it's optimal to come up with a pill that treats autism that someone needs to take forever so things like that get more research dollars

override367 on
  • Options
    It's also worth pointing out that the R&D is very dependent on public universities and frankly I'd be perfectly fine with scrapping pharma as a private enterprise entirely for life saving medicine since their focus is on long term symptom treatment and not curing things

And it is worth pointing out a second time that this is a myth.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    BSoB wrote: »

Which pharma company fills their R&D staff strictly with graduates from private universities?

because I was under the impression most of them were from public universities, and this isn't even going into how basically the entire US healthcare system is supported on the back of Medicare, who can't negotiate for drug prices

override367 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Direct marketing is apparently highly restricted in most countries, which I support.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

Speaking of generics

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/15/ranbaxy-fraud-lipitor/

This article is fucking maddening.

• Options

Which pharma company fills their R&D staff strictly with graduates from private universities?

because I was under the impression most of them were from public universities, and this isn't even going into how basically the entire US healthcare system is supported on the back of Medicare, who can't negotiate for drug prices

I think he meant the "their focus is on long term symptom treatment and not curing things" is a myth, not the support from publicly funded universities?

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I'd be interested in a detailed breakdown of R&D dollars but I would wager a huge amount of them go into evergreening and crap like that

override367 on
  • Options
    I'd be interested in a detailed breakdown of R&D dollars but I would wager a huge amount of them go into evergreening and crap like that

So, you've never seen any evidence of it, but you're pretty sure it is totally happening.

• Options
    Research money comes from the same places (NSF, NIH, industry, ACS, etc...) largely, regardless of whether you're at a public or private university.

• Options
    edited May 2013

So, you've never seen any evidence of it, but you're pretty sure it is totally happening.

for-profit corporations don't exist to help people

override367 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2013
    Blogpost graph, so possibly wrong, but claims to look at Marketing and Administration vs R&D in the major companies tax forms for 2010:

rd.png?w=500

Annoyingly it doesn't separate it further into specific marketing costs. In nearly every company however the M/A/A spends more than double that of the R&D, and all but two have profit margins also in excess of their R&D spending.

Just some armchair data analysis here, but there's a reasonably strong correlation between the ratio of R&D to Marketing, and the net profit of those companies. Basically, the more they spend on R&D relative to marketing, the higher their profit.

Just throwing that out there.

edit: Correlation coefficient between those is about 0.52, which I figured out because I was kind of bored. So not super-strong, just moderate.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Drug companies already have discount programs in the US, especially for drugs that they can get people to take for their lifetime. Seems like they should be able to do something similar and at least capture some revenue in poorer countries.

Yeah about those....They are sort of a scam.

Basically at some point insurance companies figured out they need to encourage people to get the generics to save themselves $. So they tiered the copay system. Generics $20, non-Generics $50. Since it can be literally hundreds of dollars per prescription difference.

So the pharma companies went "have trouble paying for your meds? Here have this $40 off coupon" So now I the insurance customer can go to the pharmacy and get the generic costing me $20 and my Insurance carrier $50, or I can go get the Name Brand and cost me $10 and my Insurance $200.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Neither the copays or the coupons are a scam in any reasonable sense of the word.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    But generics can be a scam. Look at the article I posted.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Well, developing a drug and getting it approved by FDA (or EU or Japan) is very expensive. The company who bears that responsibility should get some profit out of it, or else there's no incentive to develop new drugs.

Yeah, nobody would ever develop new medicine without the profit motive. Louis Pasteur & Jonas Salk were all about the cash money dollars.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    Well, developing a drug and getting it approved by FDA (or EU or Japan) is very expensive. The company who bears that responsibility should get some profit out of it, or else there's no incentive to develop new drugs.

Yeah, nobody would ever develop new medicine without the profit motive. Louis Pasteur & Jonas Salk were all about the cash money dollars.

Research for research's sake is so old school! All about the dolla dolla bills yo

• Options

You think we would have anywhere near the range of modern medical wonders that we do by depending on the kindness of strangers?

• Options
    edited May 2013

You think we would have anywhere near the range of modern medical wonders that we do by depending on the kindness of strangers?

I think we could probably manage it with a strongly state subsidized research sector

Although I think wanting to do away with private pharma is ludicrous because we develop way more stuff than a state model probably would (state funded research should still probably be at parity in terms of dollars, though), they just need to be far more tightly regulated than they are given what's at stake. The problem is trying to regulate them leads to people whining they won't develop medicine if we curtail their profits, but even with very tight regulation and even price controls on some drugs there are absolutely astounding amounts of money to be made

override367 on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Yes, I think we would have just as robust, if not a much more robust, range of 'medical wonders' if we recognized that many of the best minds are more interested in fundamental research (Pasteur) or defeating an adversary (Salk) than just making money. Do you even have a counterpoint or counterexample that compares to the genesis of germ theory or the development of the Polio vaccine that was accomplished via the much-vaunted Profit Motive (TM) ?

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options

Yes, I think we would have just as robust, if not a much more robust, range of 'medical wonders' if we recognized that many of the best minds are more interested in fundamental research (Pasteur) or defeating an adversary (Salk) than just making money. Do you even have a counterpoint or counterexample that compares to the genesis of germ theory or the development of the Polio vaccine that was accomplished via the much-vaunted Profit Motive (TM) ?

Statins.

• Options
    XandarthXandarth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Short answer: international treaties.

India has agreed to uphold international IP law. In the long run, this benefits India. If they're perceived as a rogue nation with regards to IP, then other richer countries are less likely to do business with them.
    Sorry. That's horseshit. How many countries buy from China despite their long and current history of ignoring IP laws and treaties?

That's right. All of them.

The only people benefited by IP treaties are the US. Even your allies like Australia get massively shafted by any "free trade" agreement you get us to sign. In every case it's a case of us agreeing to honour your IP and you telling us fuck off when we ask you to respect ours.

Xandarth on