As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Medical Insurance Suggestion

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm living overseas and I'm looking for some medical and dental insurance. My company offers a plan, but I have to pay 100% of my medical bills until I reach $300 and THEN my insurance kicks in. My last insurance didn't ask me to pay $300 out of pocket, I'd just pay the copayment and that was the end of it.

I'm considering going with my old company's insurance, but I want to know if you guys have a suggestion for company's that might cover me while I live overseas.

Basically, I'm looking for something that covers trips to the physician, dental, drugs and inpatient services.

MagicToaster on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    a $300 annual deductible is extremely small

you're going to pay a massive premium to remove that deductible, relative to what you're going to save

sorry i can't help you but 0-dedictible insurance is... not that particularly common (or cheap) for a reason

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    $300 deductible is pretty damn reasonable if they are covering 100% (or even 80%) of costs after.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    Where overseas? Is there national health care?

Friends of mine who have lived overseas for a length of time have just gone to the clinics and paid out of pocket. The costs are reasonable for usual check-up stuff and inpatient services. I think the only use for insurance if you're in such a country would be for emergency and long-term medical care.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I didn't even know you could still get insurance that good

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yes. Seriously. You may think a $300 deductible is outrageous if you've only ever had to pay $100 a year because you made three trips to the doctor.

Try a year where your total medical bills ended up several hundred thousand dollars and out of pocket expenses were still in the multiple thousands, though, and you'll realize that that's amazingly good coverage.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    I'm living overseas and I'm looking for some medical and dental insurance. My company offers a plan, but I have to pay 100% of my medical bills until I reach $300 and THEN my insurance kicks in. My last insurance didn't ask me to pay $300 out of pocket, I'd just pay the copayment and that was the end of it.

I'm considering going with my old company's insurance, but I want to know if you guys have a suggestion for company's that might cover me while I live overseas.

Basically, I'm looking for something that covers trips to the physician, dental, drugs and inpatient services.

I would like point out that getting insurance on your own is extremely expensive. In my state, an insurance plan on your own with a $500 deductible is $143 a month. If you try to find one with no deductible, you're going to be looking at probably $200 to $300 a month, if you can even find one.

Actually, let me put it this way. I found a similar plan to the one I have with my company. I am paying $76 a month. The plan with the same coverage is $153/month and a deductible 10 times mine.

You cannot use what you paid with your previous company to determine what you will pay. Your company is covering a large portion of your health care premium. Expect to pay 3+ times as much for the insurance on your own as you would with your company.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid