As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, June 18, 2013 - Vigor

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited June 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Vigor

Vigor
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/vigor

Days off

Anonymous

When I started working QA, there was a movie-related title in development with an iconic main character that had everyone sneaking peeks and wishing they could be working on that project.  A few months later, the movie was almost out in theaters and the game was nowhere near completion.  Needless to say, this was not a good thing!  In order to accelerate development, they poured bodies into the seats and cranked up the working hours.

I was put on the “Next Gen” team, back when the Xbox 360 was brand-spanking new, and so we needed the most coverage to make sure it shined.  We ended up with two teams working alternating 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week.  At the end, we’d been working shifts of 3 weeks with 1 day off.

Needless to say, it was a relief to go on to the next project.  Many of us had made the transition from the movie-game to this new title, so we were battle-tested and there was a strong camaraderie among the team members.  We would talk about the hours we’d worked and the bugs we had found like veterans talk about firefights.  We also had our share of shell-shocked troops.

When the new project’s schedule was posted, a veteran from the “Current Gen” consoles had a question.  As it turned out, with twice as many systems to cover and half as many people, CG had been working 14-16 hours a day without a day off for several months.  Seeing that he had days marked “OFF”, he asked if that meant he only had to work 4 hours that day or 8 - the idea of having an entire day off never even occurred to him.

After I explained it to him, he stared at the schedule for maybe five minutes, as if he was trying to remember what it was to have a day off.  It was pretty spooky.

Geth on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Comic made me smile, story made me sad.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I was wondering if that movie game turned out ok. Then I remembered it was a movie game and I think I can safely assume that, no, it was bad.

Also I am confused by the comic. Doesn't the game have a Cora body type? Doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd put in a "hetero male power fantasy" (i.e. I am assuming lots of chain mail bikinis)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Also I am confused by the comic. Doesn't the game have a Cora body type? Doesn't seem like the kind of thing they'd put in a "hetero male power fantasy" (i.e. I am assuming lots of chain mail bikinis)

You are assuming that Kotaku's description of the game is supposed to be just or accurate, when I am pretty sure that Kotaku being shit is part of the joke.

• Options
    bbgun06bbgun06 Registered User regular
    This story and others like it recently just blew my mind. Why do people put up with that kind of thing? Unpaid overtime, insane hours, no days off etc? I got a day off at least every 2 weeks in Iraq and Afghanistan for cryin' out loud! Usually every week!
    I think it's far past time for everyone to go on strike. Possibly even unionize. Seriously. It needs to happen even if it causes upcoming games to be delayed. I realize that not every software company treats its employees this way, but enough do that it seems to be a major problem. What do you guys think?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Lots of people want to work in game design. There is always someone willing to go through the grind because they're new to the industry and they don't realize how it wears you down.

• Options
    George BabbittGeorge Babbitt Registered User new member
    What does 'CIS' stand for?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    cis is a prefix that's the opposite of trans, sometimes used by itself as shorthand. A cisgender person is someone whose biology at birth matches the gender they express.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

You are assuming that Kotaku's description of the game is supposed to be just or accurate, when I am pretty sure that Kotaku being shit is part of the joke.

except that was the original title of the book?

Also I too had no idea what CIS stood for and now even knowing I still don't exactly get how its inclusion turns the sentence into a joke

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

except that was the original title of the book?

And you are assuming, for starters, that Cora is serious.

Alternatively, the point could be that Of course it's schlocky pulp fantasy because 90% of the genre is and it never pretended to be anything else.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The joke is that kotaku is owned by gawker media and, besides being kind of shit anyway, runs very incendiary articles all the time as part of its ownership. Gawker media has a proclivity toward very liberal-slanted yellow journalism.

Also, don't forget that Gabe and Tycho have an alleged bit of a tendency toward white, cis and heteronormative view points, which is sometimes bandied about on the internets. This is a pretty direct reference to some of their own experiences, in addition to the general "lol kotaku/gawker media" joke.

The most recent driver for this was probably their look at that one game... Dragon something, where people complained about the chauvinistic, heteronormative art and G&T complained about the complainers etc. etc.

Note: I tried to keep this as objective as possible without expressing a viewpoint to be argued with, as I'm not trying to dredge up any of those arguments here. Just providing context since there's some subtext here I guess.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Is Cora running browsers on both monitors? That's some hardcore goofing off.

• Options
    SaracinSaracin Registered User new member
    I was wondering if that movie game turned out ok. Then I remembered it was a movie game and I think I can safely assume that, no, it was bad.

This is my favorite part of the stories, trying to figure out what the writer worked on based on clues in the story. Movie related game, iconic main character, and the movie came out along with the game, probably 2005 to late 2006, before the PS3 launched since only 360 is mentioned. This really narrows it down to 2 games, King Kong and Superman Returns. But he goes on to mention that the current gen guys only work on twice as many systems, so that would mean 2. King Kong came out on Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube, while Superman Returns only came out on Xbox and PS2. So my money says he worked on Superman Returns, and no the game sucked. *shudders thinking about the final tornado boss*

• Options
    bbgun06bbgun06 Registered User regular
    @Delzhand
    Yes, and as long as they continue to accept such deplorable working conditions, then nothing will change.

• Options
    IamToochIamTooch Registered User regular
    I was in school a looong time ago (think: TRS-80) but I dimly remember learning in history class that unions were formed precisely because there was an oversupply of labor. A union on strike created an artificial shortage, and wages went up. But that only works if everyone or essentially everyone joins or supports a union. And bits on the internet aren't carried by Teamsters, so there's no good way to choke a company till they tap out. I have a wonderful solution but the margin of this forum is too small to contain it.

• Options
    foofboyfoofboy Registered User new member
    It makes me happy when people mock the humorless puritan cunts at Kotaku. Bravo to the boys!