As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taxi sharing and Carpooling?

FishForBirdieFishForBirdie Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
Now that there's under three weeks to go until PAX, it seemed like a good time to start up a thread for people looking for taxi sharing and car pooling opportunities to make their way around Melbourne.
I'm arriving at Melbourne Airport early Friday morning (8 AM or so) for PAX and I'm after someone/several someones to share a taxi straight from the airport to the showgrounds, since it'll probably be costing around $50.
Anyone else?

Freelance (video game) embroiderer @ Fishing For Birdie

• Options
    chimpachimpa Connor Jacobs BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I was doing some research on public transport the other week. Buses and trams are cheap as chips compared to Sydney and Brisbane. I'll be using public buses to get from the airport to my hotel in the CBD for under $5! Bargain.

If, like me, you're brave and prefer to "play local" in the interests of saving several $30-40, check out http://ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/airport-buses/
    and
    http://ptv.vic.gov.au/journey

• Options
    e.g. Bus 487 from airport to the Airport West shopping precinct, transfer to Tram 59 to the showgrounds. $5.92! Probably not as fast as a taxi, but 1/8th the price.

• Options
    FishForBirdieFishForBirdie Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for the advice - I'll look into the route you recommended (you mean bus 478, right?).
    I'm actually using public transport already for the most part, to get between my accomodation and the showgrounds - probably five hours spent on public transport all up over the three days - and, given that I'll be getting up around 5am Friday morning, I figured it was worthwhile saving myself a good hour or so on Friday morning by going with a taxi instead. That goes doubly so if I can find someone to share a taxi with.
    478 and 57 didn't come up when I was experimenting with the journey planner, and they sound like a good fallback, so thanks for taking the time to suggest them!

FishForBirdie on
    Freelance (video game) embroiderer @ Fishing For Birdie
  • Options
    Cool. I understand what you are saying about the time factor - sometimes spending more money to save time is a fair call.

Double-check any advice I gave you, since I'm from Brisbane and have no knowledge of Melbourne at all. I just got those routes from a bit of playing around with their online journey planner and timetables, based on the 8am time you gave.

Of course, this may all turn out to be moot, since there's still plenty of time for others to put their hand up for the taxi share...

• Options
    Squire_PugSquire_Pug Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'm driving and attempting to find/pay for parking. I will be coming from South Eastern Suburban Melbourne (I'm local). I will be in a Subaru station wagon with a computer and 4 empty seats....probably driving all three days. Anyone want to PM me for a car pool?

• Options
    Also just find out I get a dedicated car park as part of BYOC, so WOO! Let me know if anyone needs a lift.

• Options
    Bump, for anyone needing car pooling?

• Options
    moojuicemoojuice Registered User regular
    Dam I'd take you up on that offer if you were in the western suburbs :(, if there's anyone driving from the brimbank or tullamarine area (where the airport is) I'd happily pay for petrol for a lift!

• Options
    VerminVermin MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Btw, tram 59 doesn't run by the Showgrounds. 57 does, but you end up going a roundabout way to do the change. Better bet is the 901(?) smart bus from Melbourne Airport to Broadmeadows train station, then the train from Broady to Newmarket. You can either walk 15 minutes from there or transfer to the 57, but it is defs more direct. (I used to live in the same area as the Showgrounds and work at the airport, that was my usual route, though check the number of that bus maybe?)

as predictable as melbourne weather
  • Options
    Zed.Zed. St Albans, VICRegistered User new member
    edited July 2013
    Hey gang, I've got a spare seat for anyone needing a ride in the morning across the 3-days. Coming from St Albans.

Zed. on