Options

[PA Comic] Monday, July 22, 2013 - Sand, Part Four

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited July 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    FreehugsFreehugs Registered User new member
    Whaaaaat?! Sand Part 4 just blew my mind.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    If I ever had a ship, I would correct people who refer to her as "it" as well.

I may or may not also name her Jenny, in reverence to the best film ever made.

• Options
    Megaton HopeMegaton Hope Registered User regular
    I guess settings and genres plan to collide a bit? There would seem to be a contrast with the Sand we've seen so far.

I must say, I'm not such a big fan of Muppet Noses. Is this just how faces are now, a physically and chromatically distinct appendage of the face?

• Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the noses drawn in recent comics remind me of Mr. Potato Head. They look like you can just pull them off and swap them around.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Spoilers for the plot that Tycho revealed, like, years ago:
    The ship AI crashed or something on the planet and has weird ideas about the Bible that made her turn the dude invincible. Thus, SAND.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ooh, sci-fi elements.

I always figured he was a magic cowboy. Like in Six Gun Tarot.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Are you guys parodying the nose nonsense?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Now this is definitely taking a turn for the Vash the Sampede.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    This turn reminds me of when I first read A Study in Scarlet. I turn the page, and it's gone from Victorian London to Utah.

I had to check with another edition to make sure my eReader wasn't on the fritz.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Something smells fishy about some of these comments, but I'm not sure if anyone nose what's really going on.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

So someone is gonna start crying all the time?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah this suddenly got real Trigun. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »
    There is a certain similarity in the apparent backstory. Though, Vash is by no means indestructible, just really fast, very long-lived and able to generate fairly nonsensical amounts of energy. And unpleasantly altruistic.

As for the nose thing, well...not being a forum regular, it's news to me that it's been talked about as much as it apparently has. I kind of figured it was a lack of constructive feedback that was the culprit. I must say, though, it's as plain on the nose on your face that it's a poor stylistic choice.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm sure you're enough of a forum regular to know that we've heard enough about the noses and it's time to find something else to talk about.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    There's a touch here of that old joke about aircraft becoming so advanced that they can be flown by only one pilot, and a dog. The pilot being there to feed the dog, and the dog being there to bite the pilot if he tries to touch the controls.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm sure you're enough of a forum regular to know that we've heard enough about the noses and it's time to find something else to talk about.
    Sure, whatevs.

So this ship, here. Is it a she for politeness' sake, or is it capable of reproduction, like Moya from Farscape?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Sure, whatevs.

So this ship, here. Is it a she for politeness' sake, or is it capable of reproduction, like Moya from Farscape?

Depending how close it hews to Trigun, there'll be a female lookin' biological avatar of the ship that creates all the stuff they need to survive. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MrLevilleMrLeville Registered User new member
    Sorry, English isn't my first language but why is it "not it, her", instead of "not it, she" in the last panel? It would seem replacing "it" by "her" in the previous sentence "And it just runs the show" would make an incorrect sentence. Is there a joke I'm missing? Is it a commonly accepted rule? Is it a mistake?

• Options
    MadmodiaMadmodia Registered User regular
    MrLeville wrote: »
    Sorry, English isn't my first language but why is it "not it, her", instead of "not it, she" in the last panel? It would seem replacing "it" by "her" in the previous sentence "And it just runs the show" would make an incorrect sentence. Is there a joke I'm missing? Is it a commonly accepted rule? Is it a mistake?

I had exactly the same question when I first read it. Just looks like a mistake to me. Could be I'm missing a joke as well, I suppose :)

• Options
    I think that I'd look at it this way. "The ship is not an it, the ship is a her." It would be strange to say "the ship is a she," because in that sentence, the pronoun is in the objective case, as the object of the verb to be. Either way should be correct as to grammatical construction and meaning.

No joke in that panel that I know of, it's dramatic foreshadowing. Panels 2 and 3 would be the funny ones. They've done some in-depth research to manage their PR. :P

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Wow...

• Options
    SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    I don't know. I get where you're coming from, but I've heard people say "The ship is a she," plenty of times before. That doesn't make it correct, but I've definitely heard it. Also, I'd have extrapolated the sentence out to "The correct word is not 'it,' the correct word is 'her.'" In which case, the previous poster would be correct that it ought to say "she."

I think I'd call it a mistake, but I honestly didn't notice until it was pointed out. Plus, there's the ever present point that writers don't always have to be grammatically accurate when writing dialogue, because people aren't always grammatically accurate when speaking. The point is clear enough.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I thought calling ships "her or she" rather than "it" was like Day 1 Captain School. I think this guy is some schlub they pulled off the street and slapped a captain hat on.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Per the spoilers:
    I'm not entirely sure they even reached, let alone crashed on, the planet. Could be that everything we've seen before this installment is the simulation being fed into the dreaming minds of the passengers in cryosleep - including the "captain."

• Options
    azuravianazuravian Dad, Gamer, Beard Owner Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    If I ever had a ship, I would correct people who refer to her as "it" as well.

I may or may not also name her Jenny, in reverence to the best film ever made.

I'm racking my brain over here and I'm pretty sure The Shawshank Redemption didn't have a character named Jenny.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Oh it's space not the Wild West. Which I missed the obvious reference to with the two moons in the last comic and they robotic voice reciting bible verses in the first.

I'm kinda less interested now but still want more.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Gyral wrote: »
    I thought calling ships "her or she" rather than "it" was like Day 1 Captain School. I think this guy is some schlub they pulled off the street and slapped a captain hat on.
    That does seem to be roughly his role on the ship. He's certainly not flying it. Her. Them.

Probably got the job for his jawline.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The ship AI crashed or something on the planet and has weird ideas about the Bible that made her turn the dude invincible. Thus, SAND.
    I played that RPG on the PS1.
    The second disk was one long cutscene interspersed with boss battles.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I need more of Sand. A lot more... all the time. I demand that Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays be Sand days.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DividedByZer0DividedByZer0 Registered User new member
    Am I the only one who thought maybe they crossed their jpgs and accidentally posted a different comic they've been working on? I'm going to keep an open mind but outer space is not where I was hoping this comic would go. Should get interesting.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Given the expression on her face in the last panel, I don't think she's just correcting in the "ships are referred to respectfully as 'she'" sense. I would guess she's not entirely comfortable with the nature of the AI that pilots the ship.

Considering that, when will they learn not to make these AI's 'she's"? If I find out she's got a female-sounding name that's actually a forced acronym, I'm not going anywhere near that ship (GlaDOS, and VIKI from I, Robot come to mind). I suppose there are male offenders as well (HAL, Otto from Wall-E)--maybe just don't assign a gender to your computer. It never ends well. And I'd really hate to have to spend all day calculating Pi because somebody decided the Overlord needed a friendly name.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I played that RPG on the PS1.
    The second disk was one long cutscene interspersed with boss battles.

it was still awesome

I'm liking sand so far, its hitting all my nostalgia buttons.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    That does seem to be roughly his role on the ship. He's certainly not flying it. Her. Them.

Probably got the job for his jawline.

Find a guy who sounds like Chuck Yeager, give him a hat.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GoofTroopGoofTroop Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I need more of Sand. A lot more... all the time. I demand that Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays be Sand days.

go to the beach

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    The ship = a tennis ball, inside a slipper, covered in purple glitter.

I like it.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Tycho's link to the definition of "scripturient" goes to the Merriam Webster page, where I see this:
    To view the definition of scripturient, activate your Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary FREE TRIAL now!

Free 14 day trial to an online dictionary? Ha ha, nope.

scripturient
    a. having violent desire to write. scripturiency, n.

• Options
    puntopunto Registered User regular
    I figured these guys are aliens, and one of them got captured by the humans, so they're planning some sort of mission.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I adore the dialogue in this strip

If there was some way I could tell Tycho, directly, how much I love panel 3, I would

The art is gorgeous, but for me the conversation is what sells this installment

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    im a little disappointed with this, cause i like my westerns just straight up west, but i'll give it some more time before I decided to abandon it or keep with it, cause up until now I loved it.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I would have gone with "she" rather than "her" in the last panel, but no biggie. Fantastic art all through this series so far, and good solid dialogue once again.

I feel like we've barely scratched the surface of this setting, but I'd already watch a movie or play a game based around it.